• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Benazir Bhutto killed in suicide attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-Confirmed-
Benazir Bhutto rally hit by suicide bomber
By Matthew Moore and agencies
Last Updated: 12:54pm GMT 27/12/2007

A suicide blast has killed around 15 people in Rawalpindi, moments after opposition leader Benazir Bhutto addressed supporters in the city.

Ms Bhutto, the former Pakistani prime minister, had just left the political rally where the device exploded. She is safe and unhurt, according to police.

More than a dozen bodies are scattered across the site, according to witnesses. Some of the dead are thought to have been police officers.
advertisement

Many more people are reported injured at the Liaqat Bagh park where Ms Bhutto had spoken.

The Interior Ministry said the blast was a suicide attack.

This is not the first time Ms Bhutto has been targeted by terrorists since returning from her eight-year self-imposed exile this year.

Bombers attacked her cavalcade as she triumphantly paraded through Karachi in October, killing at least 130 people.

She accused supporters of Pakistan's late military ruler Mohammed Zia ul-Haq of masterminding the explosion.

Ms Bhutto and the other opposition figurehead and former prime minister Nawaz Sharif are threatening to boycott elections called for Jan 8.

General Pervez Musharraf, the Pakistani president, is under pressure to end the emergency rule he imposed in November. Last month he resigned as army chief to allow him to contest the elections as a civilian candidate.

Eh it seems that she and another high ranking official have been killed, BBC and CBC are reporting it on the news right now. I honeslty didn't even know that much about her only about the problems she had in Pakistan. Well that was until my dad woke up the entire house freaking out about it -_-

Edit: Everyones confirming it now. Wasn't so sure but:
Born June 21, 1953
Karachi, Dominion of Pakistan
Died 27 December 2007 (aged 54)
On December 27th 2007, Benazir Bhutto was assassinated after being shot in the neck after a suspected suicide attack at a political rally in Pakistan. The explosion went off just after Ms. Bhutto left the rally in Rawalpindi, minutes after her speech to thousands of people. This happened two weeks before elections.

[62]

What a way to start the year :S

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
CrushDance said:
-Pending-

Eh it seems that she and another high ranking official have been killed, BBC and CBC are reporting it on the news right now. I honeslty didn't even know that much about her only about the problems she had in Pakistan. Well that was until my dad woke up the entire house freaking out about it -_-

Is it confirmed she is dead or is it still pending like you wrote? im seeing different news, one that she is critically hurt and others that she is killed...

In any case, this is fucked up. A huge blow for democracy in pakistan.. :(

JayDubya

Banned
Bit confused here - the thread title doesn't jive with the linked story.

She can't be safe and unhurt AND dead, really.

Kreuzader

JayDubya said:
Bit confused here - the thread title doesn't jive with the linked story.

She can't be safe and unhurt AND dead, really.

There was some initial confusion but it appears confirmed that she died in the attack now.

Wes

venison crêpe
BBC News is reporting that a member of her party came out of the hospital she was being treated and told reporters that she died. This is the only source of her death as far as I know.

Shocking news, isn't the election over there really soon?

Wes said:
BBC News is reporting that a member of her party came out of the hospital she was being treated and told reporters that she died. This is the only source of her death as far as I know.

Shocking news, isn't the election over there really soon?
2 weeks till elections apparently. 15 deaths at the moment.

Vgamer

According to CNN.com she died of a bullet wound to the neck. So it sounds like in addition to the bomb blast there must have been snipers trying to kill her as well. This is terrible news.

Please change the OP to avoid further confusion

CNN said:
RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistan former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has died after a suicide attack, according to media reports.

Geo TV quoted her husband saying the politician had died following a bullet wound in the neck.

Bhutto is helped from her vehicle following the October 18 suicide attack on her motorcade.

The suicide attack left at least 14 dead and 40 injured, Tariq Azim Khan, the country's former information minister, told CNN in a telephone interview.

The attacker is said to have detonated a bomb as he tried to enter the rally where thousands of people gathered to hear Bhutto speak, police said.

Bhutto is said to have been leaving the rally when the attack occurred and was taken to a hospital in an unconcious state, the Geo TV report said.

Earlier, a spokesman for Bhutto told CNN she was safe and taken away from the scene.

Video from the scene of the blast broadcast from Geo TV showed wounded people being loaded into ambulances.

Up to 20 people are dead, the report said.

Earlier, four supporters of former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif died when members of another political party opened fire on them at a rally near the Islamabad airport Friday, local police said.

Several other members of Sharif's party were wounded, police added.

While President Pervez Musharraf has promised free and fair parliamentary elections next month, continued instability in the tribal areas and the threat of attack on large crowds has kept people from attending political rallies and dampened the country's political process.

Campaigners from various political groups say fewer people are coming out to show their support due to government crackdowns and the threat of violence.

At least 136 people were killed and more than 387 wounded on October 18 when a suicide bomber attacked Bhutto's slow-moving motorcade. The former PM returned to the country after eight years of self-imposed exile to a massive show of support in the southern port city of Karachi.

Bhutto called it "an attack on democracy" and vowed it would not deter her political campaign.

Today's violence come less than two weeks ahead of January parliamentary elections and as many days after President Pervez Musharraf lifted a six-week-old state of emergency he said was necessary to ensure the country's stability.

Critics said Musharraf's political maneuvering was meant to stifle the country's judiciary as well as curb the media and opposition groups to secure more power. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

Bush: Musharraf believes in democracy. If all his strong opponents are dead or afraid of campaigning because "someone" killed one of them, its still a democracy. Oh yeah, and Chavez is a totalitarian tyrant who'll force through his communist agenda at any chance.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Vgamer said:
Apparently she died of a bullet wound to the neck. So it sounds like in addition to the bomb blast there must have been snipers trying to kill her as well. This is terrible news.

Yeah, I heard the same just recently on cnn. Really fucked up..

Is there ever going to be a light at the end of the tunnel for Pakistan?

quiz824outcome2.jpg

'I say we nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.'

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
The Experiment said:
What the hell?

Terrible news :(

Let us not forget that she was the largest backer of the Taliban in Pakistan.

Granted but a democracy must let the people choose from several people. Of course, not everything is fine and dandy with every candidate but the democratic values are "attacked" with something like this..

Maximilian E. said:
Granted but a democracy must let the people choose from several people. Of course, not everything is fine and dandy with every candidate but the democratic values are "attacked" with something like this..

I agree that every candidate has their flaws but she was one of the backers of the most undemocratic regimes of the late 20th century. She was not a beacon of democracy for Pakistan like some believe.

Still, I doubt it was an inside job. This would be political suicide for Musharraf.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just read this and knew right away it was bad. And I don't even know much besides the news blurbs I've read about her vocal opposition to what's going on in the country.

android

Theoretical Magician
It was unfortunately only a matter of time. She was in a country ruled by a man who clearly wanted her dead. Now if only someone would finish him. God knows they've tried.

ToxicAdam

This was somewhat an inevitability ever since her return. It's like she came to Pakistan for this very thing to happen and set forth bigger events.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
That fucking Terrible

shame on Pakistan, yea they're not all directly responsable but, its reflected on their country

Zapages

Even though I don't like her policies, as a politician. It is really sad new to hear and bear for all Pakistanis.

Dark times for Pakistan are ahead. It'll call the end of the military and their corrupt ways. It will give rise to Atahad Hussain or Chief Justice Chourdry for President or end of Pakistan as we know it.

Also Musharaf said a couple days ago that Pakistan will only be able to sustain a controlled Democracy. Thus, I think it might be the military who did this, and they are blaming it on some radicals to please the West.

I know very little about what is going on in Pakistan (please chime in, Pakistan GAFfers), but why would Bhutto have /supported/ the Taliban? It seemed that there were three major factions - Musharraf and the miltary, the Taliban, and Bhutto/Sharif/other supporters of a more democratic country.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I have some questions about her political stance. Some members are saying that she was "pro taliban" and such but after reading and hearing more about her, this does not compute.

As far as I can tell, she was liberal and fought for democracy. How does this fit with also supporting a taliban regim?

So I just want some more clarification about these matters, because after what I have read and heard now, she did sound like a very good "democratic" candidate..

sazzy

This is going to have reprecussions the likes of which have never been seen in Pakistan.

Already, barely an hour after the news broke, riots have started. I can hear gunshots outside on my street :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom