• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Benazir Bhutto killed in suicide attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapages

Mrs. Manky said:
I know very little about what is going on in Pakistan (please chime in, Pakistan GAFfers), but why would Bhutto have /supported/ the Taliban? It seemed that there were three major factions - Musharraf and the miltary, the Taliban, and Bhutto/Sharif/other supporters of a more democratic country.

Its not like that at all...

-There's no Taliban...
-Bhutto is more liberal/westernize on changing the customs of a country and still liberal in the economics sense. Mostly based in Sindhi, province in Pakistan. She wants to give everything to the west.
-MMN(Sharifs) and there is smaller Muslim League parties, which is a bit conservative, but liberal in the sense of economics. Mostly based in Punjab province.
-MQM, they are the crazy party, who want Pakistan want to be broken up and want to establish Jinnahpur. But from the times, they have condomned their old actions, but they are still some crazy aspect of left. Musharaf is part of this political party.
-Tarieq-e-Inshaff(Movement for Fairness) - Imran Khan's party. They want the end of Musharaf rule and want a free democratic system.

The Pakistani Military is very corrupt and majority of the Pakistani hate them. As they seem to be like a political party themselves.

Bhutto and Shariff are both corrupt because they stole all the money that is given to Pakistani Treasury's money and put it their own companies and funds. Thus, they both are very bad candidates for democracy.

kablooey

Terrible news. So much for elections in a couple weeks...even if they still happen, what will they even mean when the most viable opposition candidate is gone?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Maximilian E. said:
I have some questions about her political stance. Some members are saying that she was "pro taliban" and such but after reading and hearing more about her, this does not compute.

As far as I can tell, she was liberal and fought for democracy. How does this fit with also supporting a taliban regim?

So I just want some more clarification about these matters, because after what I have read and heard now, she did sound like a very good "democratic" candidate..

I think it was Musharref who "supported" the Taliban. Supported in quotes cuz it was'nt some US/UK friendship but more about politics that even involves the Kashmir dispute with India.

The beef with Benazir was more on corruption and how she or the people around her ran the government. In other words she was a bad politician with good ideas.

Maximilian E. said:
I have some questions about her political stance. Some members are saying that she was "pro taliban" and such but after reading and hearing more about her, this does not compute.

As far as I can tell, she was liberal and fought for democracy. How does this fit with also supporting a taliban regim?

So I just want some more clarification about these matters, because after what I have read and heard now, she did sound like a very good "democratic" candidate..

She was pro Taliban because it was the alternative to Hekmatyar (sp?) and Massoud's civil war in Afghanistan in the early 90s. Taliban was the most peaceful alternative to those two, which were still using weapons that the West gave them in the 1980s.

Taliban provided stability. The rest did not. So she was a fervent backer of the Taliban when they were emerging as a serious power in Afghanistan. Bhutto, like several others, wanted a return of the old silk roads for easier trade, and safe passage for pipelines that would pump oil and natural gas. These trade routes went through Afghanistan. So her, along with others, backed the Taliban because they saw it as the end of the Afghan civil war.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
scorcho said:
now was this Musharraf's hand or the Taliban's?

I don't think this would really be in Musharraf's interests. IIRC, his faction sort of stuck a deal where Bhutto would return, participate in the election (rather than having a rabble-rousing boycott), and share power after winning some seats.

She was meant to be sop to reformists while giving Musharraf a wider power base in the civilian government. Of course, I also heard that Zalmay Khalilzad is pretty anti-Musharraf and he's been driving Pakistan policy recently, so that maybe the dynamic was changing to a point where Bhutto would try to push Musharraf out altogether.

I dunno.

Zapages

Mandark said:
I don't think this would really be in Musharraf's interests. IIRC, his faction sort of stuck a deal where Bhutto would return, participate in the election (rather than having a rabble-rousing boycott), and share power after winning some seats.

She was meant to be sop to reformists while giving Musharraf a wider power base in the civilian government. Of course, I also heard that Zalmay Khalilzad is pretty anti-Musharraf and he's been driving Pakistan policy recently, so that maybe the dynamic was changing to a point where Bhutto would try to push Musharraf out altogether.

I dunno.

Initially that was said... Lately, Bhutto said that she will never work under Musharraf. So I'll presume it can be the military.

Walshicus

Born in the Dominion of Pakistan? I thought she was younger than that...

Crazy stuff. BBC has Nawaz Sharif - her political rival - on the line. Even he sounds a tad worried, despite logic suggesting he stands to gain.

thekad said:
Sad news, but I can't help but think this helps Rudy and the rest of the crazy warmongerers.

Yeah. I just hope that whoever is in power won't make the mistakes Carter and Reagan made, which was basically to flood opposition groups with weapons and money and letting them do whatever the fuck they want.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Zapages said:
Initially that was said... Lately, Bhutto said that she will never work under Musharraf. So I'll presume it can be the military.
the NYT pointed out that Bhutto was quite a bit the dissembler - no one really knew her true intentions considering she had her hand both in the reform and Musharaff camps.

the military never liked Bhutto, but it's unlikely an attack could occur without Musharaff's approval. i'm not sure if it was in his interest to have her assassinated...yet

Amarnath

Sir Fragula said:
Born in the Dominion of Pakistan? I thought she was younger than that...

Crazy stuff. BBC has Nawaz Sharif - her political rival - on the line. Even he sounds a tad worried, despite logic suggesting he stands to gain.

If he wants to have some kind of political future, he will boycott the elections

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
It sounded like Sharif's faction might have passed Bhutto's and gotten more in the election, and her party wasn't likely to get more than a plurality in the 30's anyway.

This would be a really boneheaded move for Musharraf at this point.

Sir Fragula said:
BBC has Nawaz Sharif - her political rival - on the line. Even he sounds a tad worried, despite logic suggesting he stands to gain.

Maybe he's watching his back and staying indoors for awhile, eh?

Mandark said:
It sounded like Sharif's faction might have passed Bhutto's and gotten more in the election, and her party wasn't likely to get more than a plurality in the 30's anyway.

This would be a really boneheaded move for Musharraf at this point.

Exactly. Musharraf had nothing to gain from her death as it would only add fuel to the fire of his opposition.

I'd be willing to put money down on a fringe radical group acting independently from the Pakistani government.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
How about the Saudis? They seemed to be backing Sharif. Suicide bombings a pretty Saudi MO, culturally speaking.

Can we start some "the Saudis did it" rumor-mongering here?

Juice

While this news is indeed unfortunate for the dead, their loved ones, and Pakistan, I can't help but think that Bhutto must have known this was coming. She said in interviews that she realized the risk in advance of returning to Pakistan, and she's spent her weeks there dodging bomb after bomb with an increasingly, not decreasingly, belligerent Musharraf.

I mean, if he didn't get her, it was clear Al Qaeda would.

I feel worse for the Pakistani people stuck in Pakistan then for anyone who knew the risks to jump back into that hornet's nest. Granted, she was trying to do something great, but the timing was clearly inopportune and the cards stacked heavily against her even surviving, much less succeeding.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I don't think anyone (knowledgeable of current events) didn't see this coming. It's sad, but I knew it'd happen. I just wasn't sure when. :|

YakiSOBA

Instigator said:
Nuggets of trouble.
:lol

undgabrolere.gif

:lol :lol :lol

scorcho

this situation really makes me wonder whether democracy or liberalization is 'right' for Pakistan at the moment.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
C'mon, scorcho. Which is more fun/likely to be the basis for a best-selling paperback thriller? Boring old intra-Pakistani regional and political conflicts, or an international conspiracy?

I think the Saudis trained an ultimate soldier to kill her, then sent in a suicide bomber afterwards to cover the tracks. But what happens when this weapon... has a conscience?

thekad

Banned
scorcho said:
this situation really makes me wonder whether democracy or liberalization is 'right' for Pakistan at the moment.

Seeing all the Pakistanis on TV crying over her death, it seems to me that democracy is worth trying. Shit like this can't be allowed to keep happening.

scorcho

democracy can't flourish without the rule of law behind it. pakistan seems to have the political culture (at least within islamabad) to sustain it, but there are vast regions where militant fundamentalists have dominion.

Mandark said:
I think the Saudis trained an ultimate soldier to kill her, then sent in a suicide bomber afterwards to cover the tracks. But what happens when this weapon... has a conscience?
the Saudi Terminator?

thekad said:
Seeing all the Pakistanis on TV crying over her death, it seems to me that democracy is worth trying. Shit like this can't be allowed to keep happening.

Yeah but this is the cycle of how things have been in Pakistan:

- Civilian government gets corrupt, military overthrows them.
- Military government gets corrupt, civilian actions overthrow them.

Bhutto was quite corrupt herself, once being sacked for corruption when she was Prime Minister. The whole system needs to be started from scratch in Pakistan.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Although you could see this coming from a mile off, this is still, completely fucked up. Not to say that Bhutto was a saint....but jeez. Politics = No one really wins.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
scorcho said:
democracy can't flourish without the rule of law behind it. pakistan seems to have the political culture (at least within islamabad) to sustain it, but there are vast regions where militant fundamentalists have dominion.

the Saudi Terminator?

and thats the problem, you cant have anything near democracy with with the rise Religious fundamentalism.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
~Devil Trigger~ said:
and thats the problem, you cant have anything near democracy with with the rise Religious fundamentalism.

I don't think the religious aspect is the problem. It's that in this case, the fundamentalists are the authority rather than the government. It would be just as bad if local tribal heads or drug traffickers wielded that sort of power.

As long as fundies accept the government's rules and monopoly on force, there's no threat to the system. See the American midwest.

Juice

Mandark said:
I don't think the religious aspect is the problem. It's that in this case, the fundamentalists are the authority rather than the government. It would be just as bad if local tribal heads or drug traffickers wielded that sort of power.

As long as fundies accept the government's rules and monopoly on force, there's no threat to the system. See the American midwest.

Yeah, I don't see this as being that different from the situation in Lebanon.

With nukes.

Therefore, I give a shit about the stability of Pakistan. I'd much rather have a tyrannical dictator hell-bent on not using nukes, then a destabilized region that potentially exposes the weapons to radical fundamentalists in the name of a democratic coup.

scorcho

build up the state institutions first. placate tribal leaders by building local institutions around them with the understanding that final dominion rests with the central government. don't rush to democratize the government too quickly as it has all too often been victim to corruption and weakening its central authority/legitimacy. authoritarianism could be considered in the short-term to legitimize rule of law and for the state to have a monopoly of violence over the country.

Culex

Banned
This is more proof that Musharraf has little control over his own country. When you have a semi-autonomous region sheltering Taliban in your own territory, you have bigger issues to worry about than self-preservation.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
South America has had a bajillion transitions from junta to (at least mostly-)democracy. I'm sure there are some transferable lessons from that.

scorcho said:
build up the state institutions first. placate tribal leaders by building local institutions around them with the understanding that final dominion rests with the central government. don't rush to democratize the government too quickly as it has all too often been victim to corruption and weakening its central authority/legitimacy. authoritarianism could be considered in the short-term to legitimize rule of law and for the state to have a monopoly of violence over the country.

and then our hypothetical benevolent authoritarian leader will gladly give up power at some point for free democratic elections HELLLO PUTIN!

scorcho

of course - look how well it's worked out in Africa! statebuilding and peacebuilding in general are quite the, pardon my french, motherfuckers.

Azih

First off guys Zapages's views on the MQM are complete conspiracy theory tin foil hat stuff which is weird since the MQM is not a major player at all in Pakistani politics. In fact the only people who have less influence than the MQM is Imran Khan's party.

I support Musharaff's idea of creating a stable country that can attract foreign investment and use that plus western aid to build up the civillian infrastructure. That is the only way up for Pakistan. Now, sadly, stability and democracy seem to be mutually exclusive in Pakistan and as such I am a supporter of his. He was doing fine in getting more foreign investment in Pakistan until the whole war on terror thing happened but he at least managed to parlay that into huge amounts of aid. Edit: Am a happy about him being a dictator? Hell no. But he is a better leader and been more effective than Nawaz Sharif and Benazir Bhutto. I don't mind sticking with what works.

As for "shit's really going to hit the fan now" ideas.... shit hit the fan a long time ago. It was a lot of shit and this is the fallout. I've got family in Pakistan and tomorrow they'll just get on with it. They'll be a bit more cautious and this will reinforce their inclination to STAY THE HELL OUT OF POLITICS, but other than that life will continue.

Edit: Also dear lord, Musharraf is a part of the Army, they don't give a shit about the MQM one way or the other.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
android said:
It was unfortunately only a matter of time. She was in a country ruled by a man who clearly wanted her dead. Now if only someone would finish him. God knows they've tried.
That's the problem. The only people that would overthrow him are people who would be far more hostile to the West. Do you really want someone in there who's going to create a nuclear showdown with India on Chinas border over Kashmir? Do you want someone who's not even going to give the illusion of assisting the West with intelligence info about the terror cells in his own country?

Musharraf is a necessary evil, imo, unless you want even more war. Don't jump to conclusions that he's behind this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom