• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: School shooting in San Bernadino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

6rm7D1y.png

https://twitter.com/AP/status/851566989013393408

Very sorry to hear about that student.

Haha....each generation does think the next is worse.

However, my parents generation was literally more respectful of each other and life in general. My generation didn't tend to shoot up schools, but seemed a lot more foul mouthed/mentally unstable. My mother said she never lived in fear sending me to school, and I didn't experience ANY of the stuff I see from my GF and these 10-12 year olds. I literally wonder if sending my daughters to school could harm them more than help them sometimes.

If a kid told me he was going to shoot me at recess when I was 8, it was because we were playing cops and robbers, lol.

My daughter's class isn't allowed to play any games or act out any kind of shooting. Cowboys/Indians/Ninjas/Cops and Robbers.....they ban that freaking stuff now.

Anwyay, on topic. I hope these two students pull through. Please let them make it.

Hmm.

Socrates (469–399 B.C.) said:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Hesiod said:
When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint".

Plato said:
What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

Peter the Hermit said:
The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint... As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress.

fauxtrot

Banned
An adult went to another adult's work and shot it up, and now there is one child dead and another fighting for their life... while there are people in this thread that want to complain about how "kids today have no respect"? Disgusting.

LionPride

Banned
Haha....each generation does think the next is worse.

However, my parents generation was literally more respectful of each other and life in general. My generation didn't tend to shoot up schools, but seemed a lot more foul mouthed/mentally unstable. My mother said she never lived in fear sending me to school, and I didn't experience ANY of the stuff I see from my GF and these 10-12 year olds. I literally wonder if sending my daughters to school could harm them more than help them sometimes.

If a kid told me he was going to shoot me at recess when I was 8, it was because we were playing cops and robbers, lol.

My daughter's class isn't allowed to play any games or act out any kind of shooting. Cowboys/Indians/Ninjas/Cops and Robbers.....they ban that freaking stuff now.

Anwyay, on topic. I hope these two students pull through. Please let them make it.
What the fuck is wrong with you

An adult went to another adult's work and shot it up, and now there is one child dead and another fighting for their life... while there are people in this thread that want to complain about how "kids today have no respect"? Disgusting.

I think people are just scared, confused, and desperate for answers. It sucks, but yeah.

Tovarisc

can anyone clarify WHAT HAPPENED?

Shooter went to local elementary school in San Bernadino in order to commit murder-suicide. Shooter critically wounded two students, one of them has now died. Shooter got his intended target, teacher in the school, and then committed suicide.

aBarreras

Shooter went to local elementary school in San Bernadino in order to commit murder-suicide. Shooter critically wounded two students, one of them has now died. Shooter got his intended target, teacher in the school, and then committed suicide.

well at least the shooter wasnt a kid, but i think this even more awful, why would you shoot a 8 year old? for god's sake

HeatBoost

I know that teachers are overworked and undervalued... makes you kind of wonder if maybe this kind of thing could be avoided if it was a job that was a little more appealing, with a bit more competition.

Can't help but wonder what this will do for safety standards. When kids were doing the shooting they started stacking up rules and installing metal detetors... Will there be that kind of response to a teacher? Would it be a measured response, or will it just be a bunch of shit to make teachers lives harder, making it an even less enviable job?

BearPawB

Banned
Were the students targeted? or did he aim for the teacher and miss?
I guess it doesn't make a fucking difference.

I can't imagine the pain those parents are facing

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I know that teachers are overworked and undervalued... makes you kind of wonder if maybe this kind of thing could be avoided if it was a job that was a little more appealing, with a bit more competition.

Can't help but wonder what this will do for safety standards. When kids were doing the shooting they started stacking up rules building bars and x-ray machines. Will there be that kind of response to a teacher? Will there be a measured response, or will it just be a bunch of shit to make teachers lives harder, making it an even less enviable job?

What are you talking about?

The shooter was the husband of the teacher.

well at least the shooter wasnt a kid, but i think this even more awful, why would you shoot a 8 year old? for god's sake

There is reports the kids possibly weren't targeted. Maybe they got caught by missed shot or passing through bullet or scuffle between the adults.

Just can't imagine the horror of getting informed your child was shot in school.

aBarreras

What are you talking about?

The shooter was the husband of the teacher.

WHY WOULD HE DO THIS AT THE FUCKING SCHOOL???? WHAT THE FUCK?!

If we paid teachers more people wouldn't come into their classrooms and murder them. Seems like air tight logic to me.

sigh

the op is missing a lot, cant blame the guy for thinking it was a student who did the shooting, and thinking that maybe if teacher were better paid and more motivated to really teach and make kids grow to be good human beings isnt that far fetched.

but oh well you got you shade thrown, good for you

mike6467

A lot more because if you can't make significant changes after something like Sandy Hook, you never will.

At this point they're more likely to give the entire school staff guns. We all know if everyone had a gun there wouldn't be any gun violence.

J.EM1

Were the students targeted? or did he aim for the teacher and miss?
I guess it doesn't make a fucking difference.

I can't imagine the pain those parents are facing
The students were not targeted. They just happened to be standing behind the teacher at the time of the shooting.

sigh

the op is missing a lot, cant blame the guy for thinking it was a student who did the shooting, and thinking that maybe if teacher were better paid and more motivated to really teach and make kids grow to be good human beings isnt that far fetched.

The idea that if teachers were more well paid maybe their students wouldn't murder them is just as ludicrous. It's basically victim blaming.

There is a conversation to be had about how we compensate educators, trying to tie that into a school shooting seems like a stretch at best.

xxracerxx

No, that is some terrible reasoning. Plus the guy thought it was a teacher doing the shooting.

LionPride

Banned

sigh

Your thought process is pretty pretty terrible

xxracerxx

mine? it wasnt me who said that, im just trying to understand what the other poster was refering to instead of just mocking him

It was though, since you equated it to the teacher getting paid better thus teaching children to be upstanding citizens and not shooting people. The dude you are trying to understand thought it was a teacher doing the shooting.

aBarreras

It was though, since you equated it to the teacher getting paid better thus teaching children to be upstanding citizens and not shooting people. The dude you are trying to understand thought it was a teacher doing the shooting.

i didnt read it like he mean the teacher was the shooter but o well, my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom