• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Briefcases, men's bags, suits, watches, belts, shoes, razors and other manly shit discussion thread

i literally only know about the one axe scent i use to use (apollo, and for a long time people thought i was weairng expensive shit, and then all the other guys figured out how good it smelled and next thing you know everyone has my scent :messenger_weary: ). other than that, i know i like the woodsy/cedar smells of the scents i use in my home. i literally never used any other cologne/scent/fragrance

That would really piss me off. I used to wear Polo black and then double black came out and that has been my scent ever since. I would be angry if my co-workers started trying to smell like me. There is something unique about a scent and the person associated with it.

How is the search for other things? When starting to figure out what represents you the neat thing is it takes time and so none of this will happen over night. I am curious to what you end up picking up long term so please keep us updated.

Kev Kev

That would really piss me off. I used to wear Polo black and then double black came out and that has been my scent ever since. I would be angry if my co-workers started trying to smell like me. There is something unique about a scent and the person associated with it.

How is the search for other things? When starting to figure out what represents you the neat thing is it takes time and so none of this will happen over night. I am curious to what you end up picking up long term so please keep us updated.
ikr! although since it was axe i couldnt even be that mad, but still, when ever other guys ask me what i wear, i scowl, i judge them harshly, and just walk away :messenger_tears_of_joy:

and i havent really purchased anything yet. im not 100% sure if im going to anytime soon. but hopefully people keep posting in here and we can get some cool discussion going about whats stylish and whats not, why buying expensive well made products can actaully save you money in the long run )and make you look way better than the cheap shit), and just other guy things that most of guys probably dont talk about enough.

most guys shlepp it everyday and we just look like crap lol. theres a certain attractiveness to that messyness (i wear it petty well i think lol) but still itd be nice to know what looks good, whats better quality, where to shop and things like that.

thanks again! ill make sure to show and tell if i acquire any cool new gear.

jason10mm

Gold Member
what would you suggest for me? im a huge fan of cedar wood, white wood and those kinds of smells. im looking for somethign to wear daily, so i dont want it to be too strong or too expensive, but i dont want it to smell like axe (a little more on the expensive side is ok, but i dont want to break the bank).

thanks!
Try some of the duke cannon solid cologne products. They are fairly unique in scent, the ones I've smelled do not scream "COLOGNE!!! NO ONE LIGHT A MATCH!!!" and since they are a solid wax product you can carry the tin around and reapply as necessary. The Bourbon one and Naval Supremacy are both pretty good. You can find them at Walgreens and should be able to get some scent from the box. They have soaps and stuff that carry the same scents as well.

Women I think have a much better sense of smell than men so what may seem like too little to us is just right to them. DEFINITELY don't douse yourself in an alcohol based spray!

I think the major thing is to NOT have a strong pungent BO, really, so try to get an honest opinion and then take it to heart if they say you have a strong unpleasant smell. Look at your diet, body and dental hygeine, how you wash and dry your clothes, see if you can blunt the "man funk" rather than try to mask it with Calvin Klein. IMHO the goal is to have a mild pleasant scent with just a trace of underlying man sweat. Pheromones are a key element of male-female attraction but you don't want bacteria stank in there!

wiYsX0O.jpg

Kev Kev

Try some of the duke cannon solid cologne products. They are fairly unique in scent, the ones I've smelled do not scream "COLOGNE!!! NO ONE LIGHT A MATCH!!!" and since they are a solid wax product you can carry the tin around and reapply as necessary. The Bourbon one and Naval Supremacy are both pretty good. You can find them at Walgreens and should be able to get some scent from the box. They have soaps and stuff that carry the same scents as well.

Women I think have a much better sense of smell than men so what may seem like too little to us is just right to them. DEFINITELY don't douse yourself in an alcohol based spray!

I think the major thing is to NOT have a strong pungent BO, really, so try to get an honest opinion and then take it to heart if they say you have a strong unpleasant smell. Look at your diet, body and dental hygeine, how you wash and dry your clothes, see if you can blunt the "man funk" rather than try to mask it with Calvin Klein. IMHO the goal is to have a mild pleasant scent with just a trace of underlying man sweat. Pheromones are a key element of male-female attraction but you don't want bacteria stank in there!
right on, thanks man! ill try that out and let you know how it goes

Raven117

Buy something nice and well made. Quality over quantity. Do your research, buy timeless designs from folks who hand-make their products and can REPAIR THEM instead of disposable crap. In just a few years you will have an excellent ensemble that you can wear for the rest of your life, instead of chasing trends that make you look ridiculous in hindsight and waste money on fad items.

A nice leather jacket. A dark blue blazer. A couple fitted shirts and slacks. A few subdued high quality silk ties that you actually can tie with more than 1 knot that you leave on it! The 4 in hand and windsor knots aren't that difficult! Some quality denim jeans that don't arrive pre-faded and ripped.

Shoes made by a person who understands feet, not some 12 year old in a sweatshop. If the sole isn't sewn on to the shoe or it is covered in molded rubber, don't wear it on a date.
Get a hand made minimalist wallet because you don't need a hundred discount cards riding on your butt like a creepy hoarder.
A mechanical watch.
Eyeglass frames that are not the freebie ones they throw in with a pair of lenses.
A belt made of dead animal that can hold your bodyweight , not some sort of synthetic pleather that stretches out like a rubber band.
A satchel or briefcase designed to outlast you.
A DE razor and soap/brush set-up because you are a grown ass man, not a boy who needs 5 blade cartridges and squirts blue goo on his face like a girl about to shave her legs.
Find your scent and stick with it. Let every woman who meets you identify THAT SCENT with you. There had better be a faint hint of sweat from your latest workout in there as well, some cigar or pipe tobacco traces doesn't hurt as well.
Take care of your fingernails, learn to do a basic manicure on yourself. You may not think about it, but I GUARANTEE the ladies check that crap out upon first meeting you and IMMEDIATEY decide if they want those fingers touching their lady parts!

Learn about real cocktails and sipping spirits. Pick just one or two and master them. Old Fashioned, Negroni, scotch on the rocks. None of that fruity sugar laden shit or a fucking Jim Beam and coke. Drink beer dark enough that you can't see through the pint glass. Learn how to pair wine with food and how to order for your lady. Hold her damn door open for her, even if your car has bluetooth unlocking magic.

This stuff isn't hard, but you gotta be authentic to yourself. Otherwise it looks like you are wearing a costume and not a wardrobe.
This is just about right. A great place to start.

(don’t worry too much about the “scent.” Good soap and water will do it for you most of the time. Don’t force the “scent” unless you just like it)

Last edited:
Top Bottom