• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT5| Superb Birds, Absurd Turds and Disturbed Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Yeah, I saw that on FB.

it's Fincher man, I'm intrigued from the outset regardless. Well that, and the reviews have been absolutely glowing.

He's so good at moral ambiguity. Trent Reznor soundtracks too!

OK BG I've decided to get a Wii U in the next couple of months. There's nothing on the PS4 for me till February. Luigi U and Bayonetta sound great.

NinjaBoiX

I prefer to have an opinion on a movie after I've seen it rather than based on heresay and other people's opinions
Fair enough, me too. I do generally trust professional reviewers though, it's rare that I like something that was universally panned by the critics:

"Dracula Untold opts for the stately, staid approach, and even at a mere 85 minutes (sans credits) it’s something of a bore — neither scary nor romantic nor exciting in any of the ways it seems to intend."

But I'd already decided that it wasn't for me based on the trailer.

Vampires? Played out.

Epic CGI battles? Yawn.

Origin story? That's original.

SKINNER!

Banned
Remember the times when you didn't have websites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic to decide whether a movie was good or not? All you could base your opinion on before going into the cinema was the movie poster and what your friends - who saw the flick - thought of it.

Unless you were one of those types that took movie reviews in newspapers super seriously.

NinjaBoiX

Remember the times when you didn't have websites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic to decide whether a movie was good or not? All you could base your opinion on before going into the cinema was the movie poster and what your friends - who saw the flick - thought of it.

Unless you were one of those types that took movie reviews in newspapers super seriously.
Yeah, it could be argued that your friends' opinions are more valuable as it's likely they have similar tastes to you.

But at the same time, movie critics watch films for a living. I feel fairly safe trusting the opinions of someone with such a relevant and in depth frame of reference. Plus there is rarely the kind of moneyhat shenanigans you get with games reviews, apart from trashy tabloids and Nuts magazine.

Music reviews are usually a bit harder to quantify though with it being such a subjective medium.

Milchjon

Uh, not to open a can of worms, but what's the usual way to handle tipping in the UK?

Cause it seemed like bartenders and the like gave me a weird look when I tipped the way I usually do back home.

Are you not expected to tip? Or is a 10-20% tip just unusually low?

Volotaire

Uh, not to open a can of worms, but what's the usual way to handle tipping in the UK?

Cause it seemed like bartenders and the like gave me a weird look when I tipped the way I usually do back home.

I don't tip at all, unless my friends are with me at a very high standard restaurant such as a Michelin. Here in London, restaurants partly expect you to tip, which is slightly annoying. 20% seems high. 10-15% seems Ok if you want to tip. But I suggest don't.

We don't generally tip in bars.

Restaurants I usually tip 10-15% for good service, a bit more for exceptionally brilliant service, and nothing for poor service.

Yeah, it could be argued that your friends' opinions are more valuable as it's likely they have similar tastes to you.

But at the same time, movie critics watch films for a living. I feel fairly safe trusting the opinions of someone with such a relevant and in depth frame of reference. Plus there is rarely the kind of moneyhat shenanigans you get with games reviews, apart from trashy tabloids and Nuts magazine.

Music reviews are usually a bit harder to quantify though with it being such a subjective medium.

I consider movies to be subjective as well, it all comes down to personal taste.

I don't trust critics, they completely panned Les Mis on it's opening night in the theatre and said it would never do well. Got that s bit wrong.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OK BG I've decided to get a Wii U in the next couple of months. There's nothing on the PS4 for me till February. Luigi U and Bayonetta sound great.
You're gonna have yourself a good time.

We don't have a tipping culture here.

Sometime restaurants include an optional service charge in the total which hopes consumers are too lazy to work out how much the actual total is. Most will just pay the price at the bottom of the bill, but one place I went to with friend was so bad we made sure to work out what the price was minus the service charge.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

I remember those days! The Phantom Menace WAS good!

I only tip in restaurants and only tip 10% if I tip at all.

I don't read film reviews before deciding to see a movie. I go based on whether or not previews and trailers have interested me. If I read a review then go see a movie, I just end up thinking about the criticisms of the film as I'm watching it. "Yes, yes, Kermode was quite right, the pacing is a little off in the last half hour, tsk tsk. I wonder if the payoff at the end is as flat as Empire suggested."

Besides, I often enjoy films that end up with lukewarm reviews. The Underworld movies were kind of trashy but I enjoyed them a lot. Dracula Untold looks like it'll scratch that particular itch for me.

I have a friend who constantly asks how many stars I would give a movie five minutes after it's finished and it irritates the fuck out of me.

jimbor

Banned

As people have already suggested, it's not the norm but by all means carry on as it'll guarantee you getting served quickly at the bar.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any ideas why I can't watch iplayer streams on my phone or tablet? Just says this content is not currently available.

SmokyDave

I tip on taxis, takeaways, and meals. Usually 15-20%

That said, tipping isn't expected over here, and certainly not by bartenders. Tip if it makes you feel good, don't worry about it if it doesn't.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Lovely to see you both Ninj and Cheez. Good luck for tomorrow Cheezmo!

I tried a bit of Infamous but I'm not sure it's for me. I'll keep going though and I appreciate the lend! Then I went back to Diablo but it felt really hollow and pointless. So I've bought Transistor from the PSN as it was on sale. Please be good!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Boring. Unsympathetic/unrelateable characters. Too long. Couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Scorsese's hack status confirmed.
THAT'S THE POINT! These characters are the scum of the earth. Any attempt at humanising or making them in anyway relateable to the common cinema goer would defeat the point of Jordan and his friends. We're not meant to like any of them. And it's so hilarious whenever we see them do any sort of ridiculous, outlandish thing because of their stupidity and hedonistic lifestyle. Like when
Donnie starts choking on food, Jordan just can't seem to help because of all the quaaludes he took. After seeing a Popeye cartoon play in the background, He gets the idea of taking Cocaine to counteract the effects of the quaaludes so he could save Donnie
. Or when
Naomi's aunt dies, the first thing Jordan wants to do is to go to Monaco so he could catch the flight to Geneva where he could bail out the $20 million that was in her name. The end result: putting their lives in danger by sailing through a storm that almost kills them
. Why would we want to ever sympathise with any of them? The others...well...I guess it is too long, but it's hardly boring and it knew what it was in the end of it all. But if that's your problem with the movie and you think it's one of the worst movies you've seen in your life, you haven't seen enough movies, my friend.

jimbor

Banned
THAT'S THE POINT! These characters are the scum of the earth. Any attempt at humanising or making them in anyway relateable to the common cinema goer would defeat the point of Jordan and his friends. We're not meant to like any of them. And it's so hilarious whenever we see them do any sort of ridiculous, outlandish thing because of their stupidity and hedonistic lifestyle. Like when
Donnie starts choking on food, Jordan just can't seem to help because of all the quaaludes he took. After seeing a Popeye cartoon play in the background, He gets the idea of taking Cocaine to counteract the effects of the quaaludes so he could save Donnie
. Or when
Naomi's aunt dies, the first thing Jordan wants to do is to go to Monaco so he could catch the flight to Geneva where he could bail out the $20 million that was in her name. The end result: putting their lives in danger by sailing through a storm that almost kills them
. Why would we want to ever sympathise with any of them? The others...well...I guess it is too long, but it's hardly boring and it knew what it was in the end of it all. But if that's your problem with the movie and you think it's one of the worst movies you've seen in your life, you haven't seen enough movies, my friend.

I've probably seen more movies than you've eaten potatoes, my friend. I can do nothing but disagree with your assertion that 'it's so hilarious'. I'd rather watch 'Dude, Where's My Car?' ten times than watch WOWS ever again. If you're going to make a movie with unsympathetic/cunt characters, it had better have one hell of a story. Grifters is a movie that does it well.

NinjaBoiX

Lovely to see you both Ninj and Cheez. Good luck for tomorrow Cheezmo!

I tried a bit of Infamous but I'm not sure it's for me. I'll keep going though and I appreciate the lend!
Just for you mate:

V5vrBWf.jpg

Good luck for tomorrow Cheez.

I hope you aren't reading this now, you should be in bed! No artisan vids tonight fella.

;)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't iPlayer require the installation of another app to run on Android. It seems BBC hasn't really optimised the site for Android platform which is pretty dumb of them.

Have it. Still no joy.

Vashetti

Banned
Store got robbed today, guy was loading steak and fish right from the fridge into his bag, a customer came and told us at the till, but the guy had already walked out.

They've been cutting down on the amount of employees in store at anytime, to save on paying wages, and it's getting to extreme levels. We're pretty much always on a skeleton crew.

We need at least two people always on shopfloor to be facing the aisles and making sure nobody is stealing anything. Maybe even a security guard.

Sorry for the mini-rant but I'm quite stressed out by it all.

Volotaire

Store got robbed today, guy was loading steak and fish right from the fridge into his bag, a customer came and told us at the till, but the guy had already walked out.

They've been cutting down on the amount of employees in store at anytime, to save on paying wages, and it's getting to extreme levels. We're pretty much always on a skeleton crew.

We need at least two people always on shopfloor to be facing the aisles and making sure nobody is stealing anything. Maybe even a security guard.

Wow, that sounds insane. The guy should have at least stole from a butchers, get some quality meat! Didn't the alarms at the entrance go off since they were unscanned items? Or did he remove it? A lot of the Sainsbury's I go to have one or two security guards at all times.

Vashetti

Banned
Wow, that sounds insane. The guy should have at least stole from a butchers, get some quality meat! Didn't the alarms at the entrance go off since they were unscanned items? Or did he remove it? A lot of the Sainsbury's I go to have one or two security guards at all times.

Alarms don't work that way, the item needs a security tag on it to trigger the alarm. Items in our store that have security stickers are things such as expensive alcohols, razor packs (the £10+ kind), etc.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I've probably seen more movies than you've eaten potatoes, my friend. I can do nothing but disagree with your assertion that 'it's so hilarious'. I'd rather watch 'Dude, Where's My Car?' ten times than watch WOWS ever again. If you're going to make a movie with unsympathetic/cunt characters, it had better have one hell of a story. Grifters is a movie that does it well.
Ehhh. Dude, Where's My Car is funny when you're 15, 16, but it never delivered the belting laughs that the Popeye scene in Wolf did.

But I would like to see this Grifters that you're all up in arms about.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Aaaaaand welcome to the real world of retail. Supermarkets are ALWAYS understaffed. You will ALWAYS be run ragged trying to get stock onto the shop floor. Customers will never understand that the shop is essentially run by a handful of remedial-level teenagers who don't give two shits about anything, plus a few ladies in their late 40s who have given up on life.

Pro-tip: it's not your job to care, let them steal as much as they can carry. Seriously, stopping caring is the quickest way to achieve happiness.

Mindwipe

Anyone have any ideas why I can't watch iplayer streams on my phone or tablet? Just says this content is not currently available.

iPlayer switched from a 7 day window to a 30 day one over the weekend. Might have had some knock on issues.

Doesn't iPlayer require the installation of another app to run on Android. It seems BBC hasn't really optimised the site for Android platform which is pretty dumb of them.

The iPlayer app for Android has had more man hours spent on it than any other platform save perhaps the original PC version by some considerable margin.

A separate player app is leveraged by all the BBC's apps, not just iPlayer, and saves a fair amount of memory (and can be invoked by the website). That said, the main reason was because at the time it had to be done that way as HLS video playback on Gingerbread was a fucking disaster, and Google had no clue what to do at the time after Flash went away.

RiggyRob

Gone Girl is fantastic, which was good since I had no idea what it was going to be about since all I'd heard was that it was supposed to be a great film (I thought it was supposed to have Matthew McConaughey in it but I was mixing that up with Interstellar)-
We liked the transitions from rooting for Nick, to questioning Nick's motives (lying about not knowing what the brown house/clues were about), to thinking Nick's a scumbag who may have actually done it (teenage girlfriend shows up), to holy shit she's still alive and she made everything up (well not everything but you get the gist), to HOLY SHIT she's a psycho. I hated the ending but it was also perfect.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Gone Girl is fantastic, which was good since I had no idea what it was going to be about since all I'd heard was that it was supposed to be a great film (I thought it was supposed to have Matthew McConaughey in it but I was mixing that up with Interstellar)-
We liked the transitions from rooting for Nick, to questioning Nick's motives (lying about not knowing what the brown house/clues were about), to thinking Nick's a scumbag who may have actually done it (teenage girlfriend shows up), to holy shit she's still alive and she made everything up (well not everything but you get the gist), to HOLY SHIT she's a psycho. I hated the ending but it was also perfect.

The scene in which
she slits Neil Patrick Harris's throat. Oh my god.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sorry BritGAF but it's my first full day back at work so I feel a need to take a little break and give you an interesting run down of my current gamingness. Lucky you!

So...

I've decided to take a week off Destiny as it was becoming a scary addiction. I was really out of control - you know, deciding not to sleep in order to grind, checking the OT constantly, forgetting about everything else in my life. I don't know how MMO people do it and keep jobs, relationships, animals, non-gaming hobbies. It's like a second job! A fun job, but still work!

And gone back to Velocity 2X which is lovely and punishing and perfect. It's just a really pure game.

As is Futuridium EP Deluxe which is so hard I can't even get past the first zone. Obviously, I love this. 😄

Ninj has lent me Infamous and at first I didn't like it, but then I tried it on remote play and it seemed to work better. The frame rate was a bit steadier and it felt more like a fun handheld game than a AAA saviour of the Ps4 try-hard effort. I hadn't expected it to be so fast and frenetic. Fast is good. So hopefully it gets really hard too 😄

I tried a bit of Diablo again but I think I'm over it. I don't see the endless appeal of it. It was a fun diversion but it's just kind of boring to me.

Oh and I also picked up Transistor. I'm still undecided but there's something curious about it that makes me want to play more. Astonishing UI interface too.

There you go!

This lot should keep me busy until Bayonetta 2 / Freedom Wars.

The_Poet

Banned
Sorry BritGAF but it's my first full day back at work so I feel a need to take a little break and give you an interesting run down of my current gamingness. Lucky you!

So...

I've decided to take a week off Destiny as it was becoming a scary addiction. I was really out of control - you know, deciding not to sleep in order to grind, checking the OT constantly, forgetting about everything else in my life. I don't know how MMO people do it and keep jobs, relationships, animals, non-gaming hobbies. It's like a second job! A fun job, but still work!

They often don't, unfortunately.

Oh and I also picked up Transistor. I'm still undecided but there's something curious about it that makes me want to play more. Astonishing UI interface too.

There you go!

This lot should keep me busy until Bayonetta 2 / Freedom Wars.

I absolutely love Transistor. You are right the UI is fantastic, its a very overlooked feature in many games, where function takes over from form. But when both are done well it really adds to the immersion. The soundtrack is awesome too (and part of the story!).

RiggyRob

The scene in which
she slits Neil Patrick Harris's throat. Oh my god.

I know!

The music at that point was really intense, and I was just sort of stunned at the fact that she was murdering this guy in almost exactly the same way she accused the other boyfriend of raping her. Not that you couldn't see it coming with her playing up for the security cameras before but jesus.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Pretty much why I haven't played Destiny there Sploats, I rarely if ever get to play TV games for more than an hour, the idea of raids just fills me with dread. Long sessions by obligation, no thanks. I once spent 3 hours doing something in Halo 3 when dinner was due (Annual achievement, was awesome), Mrs still won't let me forget about it.

I'm actually a little concerned by my inability to be interested in any new games lately. Trailers and announcements are just ... "OK, that's a thing", there's nothing like the brutal one two combo of Dead Rising and Gears that made it impossible to resist getting a 360. Even iPad gaming has tapered off dramatically for me, that was my most played device over the past couple of years.

So instead, my current gaming plan is to raid the past and mop up the games I never got to as a youngun. But even then, I think I might have played all of the 'good' games (by 'good' I mean games that still hold up today). There are a shitload of JRPGs on PS1 so I'm currently playing Xenogears (mini impression - very pretty and fun battle system but daaaaaamn those Japanese fellas love to go on. And on. And on), having just finished up FF7.

I feel a bit like I do with comics - I think I've played all (or most of) the classics. Sad :(

jimbor

Banned
Ehhh. Dude, Where's My Car is funny when you're 15, 16, but it never delivered the belting laughs that the Popeye scene in Wolf did.

But I would like to see this Grifters that you're all up in arms about.

You could probably throw in Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Talented Mr Ripley, American Psycho, Young Adult, Raging Bull etc etc as movies with unlikeable protagonists that were still decent movies. Fuck, throw in Seinfeld too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom