• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse Kickstarter [$819k funded w/ PayPal - Over]

C.Redfield

Neo Member
yeah It's the last battle, only 4 hours to the end of the kickstarter campaign!

Kickstarter

$743,752 Pledged

Paypal

$46,262 Pledged

TOTAL

$790,014 Pledged

It's the final countdown.

tumblr_loqi4f0FG41qmfoslo1_400.gif

mclem

There's always a slightly nervous bit when you're really close to a target when you start wondering about bid *removal* :)

$1.6k to go. And, for that matter, 16 more backers to a nice round 15,000.

Edit: As a slight aside, if I remember right, Kickstarter rounds the time *down* by default. "2 hours to go" is actually "Somewhere between 2 and 3 hours to go". You'll notice that because it's on "1 hour to go" for a while before transitioning to "59 minutes to go". There's generally more time remaining than you might think!

Edit2: $800k! 4 more backers to go...

Lusankya

Only $550 left, they will make it. And even if there were a couple of dollars missing, they would still include that stretchgoal.

Edit: Only $60 left, no problem at all. :D

mclem

There we go. $800k, 15k backers, and a couple of hours left to get a little bit of contingency fund/a little groundwork for BASS2.

BluWacky

I'm confused. Every time I look at the funding thing it says the total is way less than what you lot report - it currently says $754,488. Am I missing donations from somewhere?

EDIT: oh, it's Paypal I'm not seeing. Never mind!

Datrio

Wait...if the amount shown on kickstarter page don't reach the target, wouldn't they won't take the money from backers?

The target was $400k, so now it's just a stretch goal, no problem there - they'll take everything what was donated on Kickstarter.

mclem

The target was $400k, so now it's just a stretch goal, no problem there - they'll take everything what was donated on Kickstarter.

Just to expand on that: That's the reason they're explicitly not permitted to run a Paypal until the Kickstarter achieves its base goal - since Paypal takes the money automatically whereas Kickstarter only takes the money on the end of the time limit and then only if the target is completed, allowing Paypal *before* the base goal is reached would run the risk of Paypal money being taken even if the target isn't reached.

Admittedly, mass removal of bids could cause significant issues in that regard, but it's not particularly likely and would require an extreme level of co-ordination by some trolls!

MurderSlim

Neo Member
Recently played through the first 2 again, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Haven't played BASS since the Amiga days but I've been hoping for a sequel all these years. Should be a real treat not having to swap the discs!

Amazed, that the BASS stretch goal won't be met. But not even I as big Broken Sword fan pledged for this Kickstarter. It just has been too much in the last months.

mclem

BASS2 is still planned to be made, folks. The stretch goal was more to allow them to go *directly* into production after BS. If it's not reached, it'll mean they'll have to wait for revenue from BS before they can do so, or start a Kickstarter for *that* sooner.

Successfully funded at 819k including paypal.

Hopefully they have enough to get Barrington Pheloung to do a orchestral score, schedule willing. He did a retweet, so he's aware at least.

BASS2 is still planned to be made, folks. The stretch goal was more to allow them to go *directly* into production after BS. If it's not reached, it'll mean they'll have to wait for revenue from BS before they can do so, or start a Kickstarter for *that* sooner.

That is such BS, going for the stretch goal just to 'greenlight' BASS.. ugh I hope they never touch BASS if they're using this ugly alternative to 2D animation.

MBison

Aie forgot to support this but I noticed the Paypal is still active on the page and the rewards still seem to be available via the PayPal link. Any word on this. I want to support but also get the reward too. Thanks!

Sorry to double post, but this was a cool thing I found. Found an interview in latest GamesTM with Charles Cecil, so took a pic of it but can't post scans, right? So I'll just transcribe it:

Games TM: "Why no Knights Templar?"

Cecil: "We were largely responsible for bringing the Knights Templar to the public consciousness. Many of our fans are sure that Dan Brown must have played Broken Sword and, in writing The Da Vinci Code, was inspired by the story, the characters and the settings.

But the problem is we then saw a slew of Knights Templar books and films, and so the subject matter, as great as it is, has become cliched. Our objective is, rather than looking back, to look forward to create the next zeitgeist, and that is what we're hoping to do here."
And that next zeitgest seems to be the Gnostics (those early Christians who defected and were massacred) who are mentioned before this quote. I don't know much of them and haven't seen them mentioned in popular media much so he might be on to something.

Interesting subject matter. I read some books on gnosticism some years ago after I found out Philip K. Dick was inspired by it in some of his work.

inm8num2

Looks great!

I'm still disappointed that the developers caved into angry backers' demands and made George look like a Ken doll. "More tan!" "More defined jaw bone!"

Just like on the Dreamfall Chapters kickstarter.

Top Bottom