• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Fuller named showrunner of new Star Trek series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm down for that. I'd imagine BSG would need to be another remake though, all things considered.

Singer was trying to get a film series off the ground at Universal a couple years ago. For the second (maybe third) time?

Give that one another 4-5 years, though. Probably be a blend of original series iconography and reboot series storytelling.

Morts

I'm still afraid confining this to a new streaming service will kill it but I'm also incredibly excited to see what they come up with. I can't wait for more details.

SeanC

On a sidenote, Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal) would make a pretty interesting starfleet captain.

Mads as a Vulcan Doctor on the ship. Dry humor would be perfect.

Then get Fishburne as the captain.

Hugh Dancy as Head of Engineering.

Gillian Anderson as an Admiral in smaller role.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I keep reading it will be canned in two years, but all I'm thinking is that at very least we'll get two wondrous years of TV.

Also, I just read that part about Rosario and Basset.

Somebody do me a solid and post a gif of Will Graham freaking the hell out, because that's how I'm feeling right now.

Will Wheaton as captain.

And, looking at Bryan Fuller's resume, he worked on 81 episodes of Star Trek Voyager... hopefully that doesn't rub off in this new show.

jstripes

Banned
This is why I set my expectations so low for the new Star Trek series: Your expectations can only go up.

They're on their way up now.

Crazy. I guess this means he won't be as hands-on with American Gods as we thought he'd be. It's a shame if that's the case, as I am more interested in that than Star Trek.

So, which Fuller alums can we expect in the crew?

I'm lobbying for an immortal Gretchen Speck-Horowitz as this series' Q...

Scott Thompson

KidsInTheHall-Buddy.jpg

Taking the Whoopi spot as the bar owner.

Turin

Banned
I keep reading it will be canned in two years, but all I'm thinking is that at very least we'll get two wondrous years of TV.

Also, I just read that part about Rosario and Basset.

Somebody do me a solid and post a gif of Will Graham freaking the hell out, because that's how I'm feeling right now.

tumblr_n361ucnzbz1rvs9wso1_500.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Give that one another 4-5 years, though. Probably be a blend of original series iconography and reboot series storytelling.

Which I think would be frakking fantastic.

BSG was my jam. Replaced the Trek-sized void in my heart and really came out at just the right time for me. I was young and naive to the idea that space opera could be even more serialized than Star Trek DS9. Maybe I didn't even realize television in general could be so interconnected. I fell in love.

mcrommert

Banned
Cancelled in two seasons. Maybe three.

Dead in one season.

Hannibal tier in three. ^_^

It will be, after they cancel it in 2 seasons.

Already sent to die before the first ep

Okay seriously is this a joke or do you believe this? Fuller's series have died quick deaths because they appeal to a tiny group of people...even though they are incredible quality and well written

Star trek is star trek...it is a huge brand with a huge following...its not the same thing

Kevin

Will Wheaton as captain.

And, looking at Bryan Fuller's resume, he worked on 81 episodes of Star Trek Voyager... hopefully that doesn't rub off in this new show.

Voyager was a LONG time ago. In my opinion his more recent work has been incredible. Bryan Fuller earned his place among my top tier list with shows like Hannibal so this news personally has me beyond excited.

Okay seriously is this a joke or do you believe this? Fuller's series have died quick deaths because they appeal to a tiny group of people...even though they are incredible quality and well written

Star trek is star trek...it is a huge brand with a huge following...its not the same thing

Not to mention it will be on a streaming service and will probably have a cheap budget(which he has tons of experience on after Hannibal) and probably has less than normal expectations for CBS.

At least I'm guessing... Fuck knows what Moonves expects.

jstripes

Banned
Will Wheaton as captain.

I noticed that myself, but to give him the benefit of the doubt, he had to work under terrible show runners himself.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Any chance this gets moved to CBS proper or a cable network? Can't imagine this lasting very long or having a decent budget as long as it's locked behind CBS' crappy app.

ivysaur12

Banned
Maybe he wasn't the head writer on Voyager and had little impact on the series as was because he was a younger writer and thus we shouldn't judge someone's resume on what they worked on as a predictor of their ability.

mcrommert

Banned
Not to mention it will be on a streaming service and will probably have a cheap budget(which he has tons of experience on after Hannibal) and probably has less than normal expectations for CBS.

At least I'm guessing... Fuck knows what Moonves expects.

They said it will be large budget...evidently level of tng/ds9

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Any chance this gets moved to CBS proper or a cable network? Can't imagine this lasting very long or having a decent budget as long as it's locked behind CBS' crappy app.

I'm confident CBS is going to go all-out with this -- and boost interest in their streaming service in myriad non-Trek ways on top of that.

Also, international broadcast deals are huge for this property. Trek is a big deal in quite a few places. Les Moonves even mentioned straight-out a few months back that international interest is major for this new show.

Maybe he wasn't the head writer on Voyager and had little impact on the series as was because he was a younger writer and thus we shouldn't judge someone's resume on what they worked on as a predictor of their ability.

Especially when you have fucking YEARS of high-quality, amazingly original/innovative storytelling on his resume after that first run in his first writers room.

Loose analogy: It'd be like finding out Joss Whedon got the job on Avengers and referencing the fact he used to work on Roseanne.

Nobody's gonna give that much weight. They shouldn't.

ivysaur12

Banned
Especially when you have fucking YEARS of high-quality, amazingly original/innovative storytelling on his resume after that first run in his first writers room.

Loose analogy: It'd be like finding out Joss Whedon got the job on Avengers and referencing the fact he used to work on Roseanne.

My first writing credit was on a shitty Lifetime show. I don't expect that to define my career, and it's ridiculous to do the same to anyone else!

Bryan Fuller helming a new Star Trek series with Rosario Dawson as captain.

All of my dreams

edit: Bassett AND Rosario? Even better, bring it on!

kirblar

My first writing credit was on a shitty Lifetime show. I don't expect that to define my career, and it's ridiculous to do the same to anyone else!
If your first two writing credits defined the trajectory of your career, you'd probably want to find another line of work.

Also, I'd love to see Sigourney Weaver, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Idris Elba, Mads Mikkelsen, Gina Torres, Bryan Cranston, JK Simmons, or Tom Hanks in roles of either Captain or First Officer. Imagine any of those actors in either role... so much potential. Of all of those? I'd love to see Gina Torres as a Captain (famously known in Firefly and Suits).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom