• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Fuller named showrunner of new Star Trek series

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I was pretty ambivalent about the new series with what little details there were, but hot damn, looking forward to it now.

That sounds like sending it to die already.

Why would they bother bringing Star Trek back just to put it on a paid service that relatively very few people have? Should have been on Netflix if the plan was subscription service only.

Yeah, I don't like it either. But apparently CBS thinks they can launch their VOD subscription service with a splash with the Star Trek name attached to it.

Honestly, a CBS VOD subscription service seems like a horrendous idea to begin with, given that the average CBS viewer is relatively old and unlikely to sign up for or use VOD. And the other shows in CBS' lineup aren't going to appeal to the young viewers that currently subscribe to Netflix, Amazon, or HBO.

-griffy-

Banned
I DONE TOLD YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

Well, actually, he told us. Like, a long time ago. He's been angling for this forever and a day.

Man I thought CBS went and screwed him out of the possibility by announcing the show after we already knew he was gearing up on American Gods. They fooled us all.

You don't confine Bryan Fuller to a minor streaming service. I guarantee this will make it onto broadcast TV before too long in full (not just the premiere).

Bobby, were you as hopeful for a Fuller reveal as I was? It was the dream announcement, ever since we heard he was interested.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Been all about it even before watching frame one of Hannibal. Seeing what he did with that show made me even more amped to get this thing done.

In fact, here's what I said about it back in July during one of those Hannibal threads.

I think I said in one of these threads, but it kinda seemed like after the problems he had with the show this season, and the way everything was unfolding anyway - that he mighta been looking for the front door just as much as the network was. Especially since Red Dragon provides him an easy out. But he can't just SAY that (although he basically just did) at first.

3 is a magic number, after all. And one he's never gotten to before, anyway.

I would not be surprised if he's heard some shit somewhere from someone. Get American Gods up and running. Bail out. Find yourself in prime position to take on one of your all-time dream jobs with no ties or baggage.

he finally gets to showrun his Angela Bassett-led Star Trek show in 2017. Voila.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh

My

God

I'm finishing Hannibal's S2 and all I can think is how batshit insane the holodeck and Borg are going to be.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
there was no chance of this being some throwaway show, this is CBS flagship series to promote their streaming service.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Abso-fucking-lutely. Been all about it even before watching frame one of Hannibal. Seeing what he did with that show made me even more amped to get this thing done.

In fact, here's what I said about it back in July during one of those Hannibal threads.

You the man, Bobby.

You and me. Sometime in like. Shit. I don't know. 2026. We gonna podcast ourselves some Star Trek.

shaowebb

I've wanted new Star Trek for so long. Please let it be on the wonders and mysteries of the unknown and not an action fest like the films. I really can't wait to see who gets the straightman role in this series. We've had Spock, Data, a shapeshifter whose name escapes me and even a Borg. Always love seeing where these characters end up.

I've always wanted to see a crooked as fuck Ferengi engineering staff. It'd be fun to see the ship shot at and it should be crippled only to discover the affected area had long since been ripped out, sold off and rerouted through a fucking crazy daisy chain of replicators and other machines to perform the same function. It'd be a fun source of drama and relief and it'd be neat to see a captain use the teams brilliance only to occassionally work with the guys because he knows they can "bend the rules" and do stuff thats not Star Fleet legal when necessary. Crooked genius engineering. You overlook stuff for the resourcefulness they offer when needed and ride the drama for scenes :)

God so excited. I have no idea what sort of folks are being written here. The potential in Star Trek is just too great.

Mariolee

Can he handle two shows? He didn't seem to think so with Hannibal.

This. I'm almost positive he saw the writing on the wall for a Hannibal S4 and like Bobby mentioned previously wanted to get American Gods off the ground so he could do Star Trek.

An-Det

That's pretty fantastic news, Fuller is perfect for Star Trek. I'm really curious to hear more soon given when they want to launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom