• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bugsnax - Review Thread

yeah I get that.
But usually unless a version is broken or something the score differences between platforms isnt 68 one platform 80 on another.
Its usually ~5 points between all platforms.

Its just a really jarring gap for the PC version so i assumed it must have some bug(heh) in it or something thats causing its scores to be that much lower

One has 22 reviews and the other has 8 with different reviewers

That will cause a gap

tenor.gif

McCheese

This and Astrobot are pretty good "value adds" for PS5 early adopters, I'll still grab Spiderman or something but I don't feel like I have to buy a game day one now.

Stuart360

yeah I get that.
But usually unless a version is broken or something the score differences between platforms isnt 68 one platform 80 on another.
Its usually ~5 points between all platforms.

Its just a really jarring gap for the PC version so i assumed it must have some bug(heh) in it or something thats causing its scores to be that much lower
Because there is probably a lot of 'Playstation' sites reviweing the game. Obviously on PC its just another game.

ethomaz

Banned
Last reviews added to OC.

Matthew Zimmari
Press Start
Top Critic
8 / 10.0
Nov 10, 2020
Whether it's the super-catchy theme song, the nostalgia-evoking gameplay, or simply the very basic fun of hunting new Snax to transform the Grumpuses, Bugsnax is a game that is well worth your time. Its simple yet addictive challenge of catching the cute yet strange creatures coupled with some wholesome storytelling delivers a well-rounded and fun adventure.
Read full review

Eva Herinkova
But Why Tho?
9 / 10.0
Nov 9, 2020
Bugsnax has me thoroughly impressed. I have truly, madly, and deeply fallen in love with Snaktooth Island and its entertaining cast of characters. Chasing after Strabbys and Buffalocusts, bonding with the Grumpuses, and uncovering the mystery of Elizabert Megafig is an experience like no other. Not only is Bugsnax a brilliant launch title for the PlayStation 5, but a brilliant game in general that I cannot recommend enough. They’re kind of bug and kind of snack. What’s not to love?
Read full review

Mike Minotti
GamesBeat
Top Critic
3/5
Nov 9, 2020
I applaud Bugsnax’s creativity. It’s not the most stimulating puzzle game, but it’s worth checking out if you can’t get that theme song out of your head
Read full review

Matt Miller
Game Informer
Top Critic
7 / 10.0
Nov 9, 2020
Equal parts bizarre and good-hearted, Bugsnax is a breezy sequence of encounters and puzzles, but the continual errand structure of quests starts to feel like a chore
Read full review

Kirstin Swalley
Hardcore Gamer
Top Critic
4 / 5.0
Nov 9, 2020
Bugsnax is a relatively short title, taking roughly around ten hours or so to finish depending on if players go for full completion or not.
Read full review

David Burdette
GamingTrend
Top Critic
80 / 100
Nov 9, 2020
Bugsnax is an odd combination of Pokémon, a Cabela's hunting game, and Octodad. It's got a lot going for it in the fun gameplay, as well as a wonderful island filled with incredible creatures to discover. I do think the ending doesn't necessarily fit, and the backtracking is annoying, but it doesn't make the game unenjoyable. If you want the weirdest game of 2020 that's unusually entertaining, then pick up Bugsnax. Now if you'll excuse me, the Kero Kero Bonito song is stuck in my head again.
Read full review

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

I wasn't interested in this game in the slightest. However, with it being free on PS+, and reviewing decently well, I think I might actually give it a run-through.

ethomaz

Banned
More reviews..

Dylan Blight
Explosion Network
8.5 / 10.0
Nov 10, 2020
The whole game oozes charm, heart and playing it just feels like a warm hug from start to finish.
Read full review

Matthew Zimmari
Press Start
Top Critic
8 / 10.0
Nov 10, 2020
Whether it's the super-catchy theme song, the nostalgia-evoking gameplay, or simply the very basic fun of hunting new Snax to transform the Grumpuses, Bugsnax is a game that is well worth your time. Its simple yet addictive challenge of catching the cute yet strange creatures coupled with some wholesome storytelling delivers a well-rounded and fun adventure.
Read full review

Steve Vegvari
Console Creatures
Recommended
Nov 9, 2020
Bugsnax captures that Saturday morning cartoon feel. The absurdity that runs through the core of this game is enough to leave a lasting smile on your face. It often borders a line between an episode of Rick & Morty and Spongebob Squarepants. The creators at Younge Horses are off their rockers and I’m glad they have the freedom and drive to develop a game like Bugsnax.
Read full review

Joe Bariso
MonsterVine
4 / 5.0
Nov 9, 2020
A weirdly moving love letter to community and found family hidden inside of a game about cute food bugs. I can’t recommend it enough.
Read full review

Pedro PĂ©rez Cesari
LevelUp
Top Critic
8 / 10.0
Nov 9, 2020
Bugsnax is a charming and creative game that can goes beyond its meme status by respecting the player's intelligence with fun mechanics and an interesting plot. The game makes you think outside the box and let's you have fun catching weird animals. I hope that after its release, everyone starts talkin' 'bout Bugsnax
Review in Spanish | Read full review

Jenni Lada
Siliconera
7 / 10.0
Nov 9, 2020
I think the best way I can describe Bugsnax is that it has strong launch day energy. This is absolutely the game people grab as a fun, quick palette cleanser as they move from, say, a Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales to a Demon’s Souls.
Read full review

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is like this gen's Viva Pianata, I suppose, but maybe back then Pinata was graphically more impressive.

thelastword

Banned
Bugsnax got memed out, trolled at every turn and in every thread....People who did not play had already judged.....Now review day is here and bugsnax is kicking ass and taking names.........Just like I thought it would...

Godfall?.......

tenor.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Bugsnax got memed out, trolled at every turn and in every thread....People who did not play had already judged.....Now review day is here and bugsnax is kicking ass and taking names.........Just like I thought it would...

Godfall?.......

tenor.gif
I won’t be surprise if Godfall got good scores too... the gameplay and art style is pretty good.

Warframe and Destiny fans will love it I believe... and that is no small in numbers.

mejin

Godfall?.......

tenor.gif

It was indeed treated like shit and in the end is as good as The Falconeer which people held it in high regards.

thelastword

Banned
It was indeed treated like shit and in the end is as good as The Falconeer which people held it in high regards.
Isn't Falconeer that Goty Caliber 120fps game....Bugsnax is lucky to be in such great company.....

Moreover the scores though, the writeups for Bugsnax has been really compelling....Some really nice imaginative gameplay and features in there as was expected from the Octodad guys.....I guess we are just at a point where the only trailers that attract some are endless explosions, reflections everywhere and the like....Clearly, unique games like these have it's place too. Serves a youger demographic and it's tonne of fun and creative....Variety is so often overlooked as rounding the library of these consoles....

jaysius

Banned
We should have gotten this on PS4 for free too. Sony being Sony again. Plus is going to quickly turn to shit for PS4 players, even faster than it did for PS3 players last time when PS4 came out.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I just locked at Falconner scores:

Xbox One: 60 (5)
Series X: 74 (4)
PC: 72 (11)

I don't think both are as good as each other.

Saber

Gold Member
Its doing pretty well for a silly looking game. I would totally dive in if I got PS5.

Sometimes people forget video games are supposed to be fun.

I agree in parts, because "fun" is very subjective.
Sometimes mechanics in a game that are considered frustating or boring for some are fun for others. People can even find fun diving in the mud.

I find fun doing shit in Skyrim for instance. But the game itself its terrible and probably my first and last Elder Scroll game.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
How the fuck is the disparity between PC version and console version so huge?

Is the PC version broken or are reviewers for console versions just starved for games so anything must be a 9 out of 10
Didn't look up this one, but usually for exclusives or at least console exclusives you got reviewers named Dualshockers, PS something and so on and surprisingly they mostly rate high/above the average.

Last edited:
Top Bottom