• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Building a PS5 with components from the first half of 2018.

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo).
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3435&cm_re=ryzen_51600-_-19-113-435-_-Product

MSI Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 8GB GDDR5.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...37290&cm_re=rx_580_8gb-_-14-137-290-_-Product

Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1 x 8G) DDR4 2400.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4679&cm_re=8_gb_memory-_-20-104-679-_-Product

ASUS Black 12X Blu-Ray Disc-ROM SATA INTERNAL.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135247

Cost = $723

Recalling that with commercial mass production agreements the components get cheaper. Therefore a console with these specifications released in the first half of 2018 would cost $ 499.
We still do not know if AMD will do a refresh of the VEGA architecture in the second half of this year. So if they does this refresh we could build a PS5 with something around 8.2Tflops.

Remembering that these are just hypothetical expectations to evaluate the costs of a console in the future. Please! Don't kill me!

Last edited:

MoogleMan

The 580 isn't really on par for what will be in the ps5; the 580 is roughly what's in the x1x.
I see 16GB of ram rather than 8, but who knows. 8 again would be a limiting factor IMHO.

Last edited:
The 580 isn't really on par for what will be in the ps5; the 580 is roughly what's in the x1x.
I see 16GB of ram rather than 8, but who knows. * again would be a limiting factor IMHO.

This is just a speculation based on the mid-end GPUs that consoles usually receive. The best mid-end AMD at the moment is the RX 580. From the second half of 2018 there will be a new mid-end GPU that will probably reach the 8Tflops as I expected in the description of that topic. I am talking more about prices and costs than necessarily about hardware.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

The ps5 will render games at 4k and 60fps so it needs powerful hardware to realize that and sony will use hardware that are from the point of price and performance affordable to make a console powerful and affordable for costumers and makes money for the division

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I would put in a sli gtx1080ti (new one is coming so it should be cheaper)

32gb of ddr4 ram to make it more future proof

3 usb 3.1 ports so its vr compatible.

Intel i9 lets go intel

Dual os so we can install windows 10 on it if we want.

512 ssd m2 fast boot and a 8tb 7200rpm hdd for storing games. Since 1tb is way to small for modern games.

Oh and a special cup holder for drinks

Oh and a special cup holder for drinks

514916.jpg

Last edited:
Leak mentions that CPU is 8 core.

Vega 56 (1070/1070Ti) tier card is most likely.

I would not know if I could trust these supposed leaks. I'm basing myself on what THE FIRST HALF of 2018 offers of midrange hardware at competitive prices.

Redirecting these speculations to 2019/2020 the result can be 8-cores and 3.8Ghz or 4.1Ghz. Who knows?

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
I would not know if I could trust these supposed leaks. I'm basing myself on what THE FIRST HALF of 2018 offers of midrange hardware at competitive prices.

Redirecting these speculations to 2019/2020 the result can be 8-cores and 3.8Ghz or 4.1Ghz. Who knows?

Going off leaks is better and more accurate rather than going off your own ideas or predictions assuming the leak is somewhat true.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Trying to compare pricing with off the shelf pc parts to a mass-produced semi-custom APU is a bit apples to oranges.

Leocarian

Banned
Where did you see that?

Remember these are hardware-based speculations from the middle of 2018! Something for the same PRICE in 2020 may be far superior to this. I have no doubts!

It's not gonna be 2020 tho. 2019 is pretty much guaranteed according to the new leaks.

It's not gonna be 2020 tho. 2019 is pretty much guaranteed according to the new leaks.

There's no chance the PS5 will be released in 2019. The most that can happen is an announcement in 2019 a launch in 2020. 2019 is a full year of games to launch. Posting in 2019 and launching in 2020 makes more sense than announcing in 2019 and launching in 2019. You can write this down and then cover me.

demigod

There's no chance the PS5 will be released in 2019. The most that can happen is an announcement in 2019 a launch in 2020. 2019 is a full year of games to launch. Posting in 2019 and launching in 2020 makes more sense than announcing in 2019 and launching in 2019. You can write this down and then cover me.

What? PS4 was announced and released the same year, 2013. Why do you think dev kits are already out.

What? PS4 was announced and released the same year, 2013. Why do you think dev kits are already out.

In the foreground we do not know if the PS5 development kits are in the hands of the third party. This is just a rumor. But anyway. If the devkits REALLY are in the hands of the third parties. This is because game developments have become something much more complex. Note that this generation is taking a long time to get their titles released. God only came in 2018. And a flood of other games will only come in 2019. So SONY and MICROSOFT already want to start production of their titles. So at the beginning of the next generation they are already in an advanced state of development. Receiving a maximum of 1 year after the announcement of the PS5 to be completed. So they will be ready and it will have advantages for consumers in buying a PS5 instead of staying with the PS4 PRO. Backward Capability will also be something guaranteed on PS5. This will motivate the migration of consumers from PS4 to PS5. ;)

Last edited:

11Tflops is a little more than the RX VEGA 56(10.5Tflops) is capable of doing. So it's easy to believe that the PS5 will ask for 12.6Tflops as the RX VEGA 64 already offers. Like the ps4 devkits that owned 4GB and then received 8GB. I think SONY is working with hardware speculation based on the prices currently available in the market. Anything the PS5 can be at the current time can be modified over the next 2 years. If this rumor of 11Tflops and an 8-Color ZEN2 processor is true, we'll have a powerful machine.

I continue to predict a PS5 with 7nm NAVI 12.6Tflops, 8-Core 3.6Ghz CPU and something around 16GB to 24GB DDR6.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned

I'm confused, if you don't trust the leaks for 2018 release why would you limit your analysis to 1st half 2018? I would think you'd at least think consider 2nd half 2018.

I'm confused, if you don't trust the leaks for 2018 release why would you limit your analysis to 1st half 2018? I would think you'd at least think consider 2nd half 2018.

I'm just speculating what the hardware of a PS5 based on the architectures of the first half of 2018 would be. What part of that story was not well explained? With this we can have a base of what will be available for reasonable prices in the construction of a console in two years from now.

Very well ... Now come on ... What will we have for the same value as a RX 580 from the second half of 2018? Maybe 8.2Tflops? The refresh of VEGA architecture? A CPU with 3.6Ghz 8-Core for the same price as a current 3.2Ghz 6-core? I don't know. We will only know from the second half of 2018. Or maybe sooner if AMD launches a VEGA refresh in May.

Did you understand the purpose of the topic? ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
i meant where did u get 11tf from..
11Tflops is a little more than the RX VEGA 56(10.5Tflops) is capable of doing. So it's easy to believe that the PS5 will ask for 12.6Tflops as the RX VEGA 64 already offers. Like the ps4 devkits that owned 4GB and then received 8GB. I think SONY is working with hardware speculation based on the prices currently available in the market. Anything the PS5 can be at the current time can be modified over the next 2 years. If this rumor of 11Tflops and an 8-Color ZEN2 processor is true, we'll have a powerful machine.

I continue to predict a PS5 with 7nm NAVI 12.6Tflops, 8-Core 3.6Ghz CPU and something around 16GB to 24GB DDR6.

ps5 gpu will have much lower clocks though

TheMikado

Banned
I'm just speculating what the hardware of a PS5 based on the architectures of the first half of 2018 would be. What part of that story was not well explained? With this we can have a base of what will be available for reasonable prices in the construction of a console in two years from now.

Very well ... Now come on ... What will we have for the same value as a RX 580 from the second half of 2018? Maybe 8.2Tflops? The refresh of VEGA architecture? A CPU with 3.6Ghz 8-Core for the same price as a current 3.2Ghz 6-core? I don't know. We will only know from the second half of 2018. Or maybe sooner if AMD launches a VEGA refresh in May.

Did you understand the purpose of the topic? ;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

No, I don't. If you think the console is two years away why are you thinking the hardware that goes into it will be two years old. I guess I'm not understanding that part. Shouldn't we be looking at the hardware that will be available around launch just like we did with every other console? Xbox 360 was using unified shaders in 2005, it was next year before Nvidia and ATI/AMD actually launched a single unified shader GPU. The point I'm making is that they typically go with the latest tech available around the time of launch so I'm not sure why you would pick 2 year old hardware.

BANGS

Banned
I don't put much stock in the leaks, it's just way too early. Alot of people just jumped into this gen...

No, I don't. If you think the console is two years away why are you thinking the hardware that goes into it will be two years old. I guess I'm not understanding that part. Shouldn't we be looking at the hardware that will be available around launch just like we did with every other console? Xbox 360 was using unified shaders in 2005, it was next year before Nvidia and ATI/AMD actually launched a single unified shader GPU. The point I'm making is that they typically go with the latest tech available around the time of launch so I'm not sure why you would pick 2 year old hardware.

SaneLeanGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

Nikodemos

The CPU is likely to be a Ryzen+ with 6 cores and 12 threads.
The GPU is not currently available on the market, since it's based on the Navi architecture. Think Vega 56 but at around half the max power consumption.
RAM is likely to be 16-24 GB GDDR6.
It will possibly (though unconfirmed) have a dual-core ARM processor (dual-core A55 maybe?) for small background tasks (handshakes, scheduling etc).
So, no, you can't really build one right now.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
People still saying 2020 is really odd when people who work at sony have been leaking 2019 for months now....FoxyGamesUK or rather his sources are never wrong

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
People still saying 2020 is really odd when people who work at sony have been leaking 2019 for months now....FoxyGamesUK or rather his sources are never wrong

I can safely say I concur with late 2019. I think the 2020s thing is more of a personal belief/very opinionated type deal with people and there is nothing wrong with that, but facts are facts it's peoples freedom to believe what they want until proven wrong.

A full slate of games for 2019 doesn't preclude a PS5 launch--remember, the rumor is that the PS4 games will be backwards compatible and hardware launches more iterative, so it's just a matter of marketing the PS4 game as working on the PS5 (likely with higher-resolution assets, better framerate/resolution, a la XBO:X) and then introducing a handful of PS5-only games at launch. Best of both worlds.

Same thing for Microsoft--people keep saying they're ramping up game dev and holding their best stuff for the XBox One successor, but they really don't need to--just release on the current platform, and market/provide hooks for the new console that make it play and look better.

Last edited:
People that I know. I work in the industry, that's why I said take it with a grain of salt.

Certainly! The PS5 will be around 12.6Tflops. Almost certain that SONY will increase the performance of the GPU just as it did with the PS4 adding 4GB more, totaling 8GB. The devkits give an approximate impression of what the final console will be. 12.6Tflops is 3x the power of the PS4 PRO (4.2Tflops). An 8-Core CPU with 3.6Ghz and something around 16GB to 24GB DDR6.

Write down these specifications and cover me after the official release. It may be a little less or a little bit higher. But nothing more than 13Tflops and no less than 12Tflops. My dream would be 15Tflops but I find this quite improbable. I will pray for this kind of miracle to happen.

Last edited:

demigod

The CPU is likely to be a Ryzen+ with 6 cores and 12 threads.
The GPU is not currently available on the market, since it's based on the Navi architecture. Think Vega 56 but at around half the max power consumption.
RAM is likely to be 16-24 GB GDDR6.
It will possibly (though unconfirmed) have a dual-core ARM processor (dual-core A55 maybe?) for small background tasks (handshakes, scheduling etc).
So, no, you can't really build one right now.

2 CPUs? Where do you people come up with this shit.

Leocarian

Banned

Do I have to pull the no games card out again for 2013 on Sonys exclusive side? Kk.

The PS4 Launch Year 2013 had 0 Sony Exclusives for PS3 with the exception of the following - Ni No Kuni January 22nd, 2013, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time February 5th, 2013, MLB 13: The Show, March 5th, 2013 God of War: Ascension came out on March 12th, 2013, The Last of Us was released after PS4 Reveal in the summer of 2013 around E3 on June 14th 2013 and was the swan song of PS3 Era, Dragon's Crown July 25th, 2013, Puppeter September 5h, 2013, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus November 12th, 2013 few days before PS4 launch, Gran Turismo 6 was also released on December 5th, 2013 which was a major Sony exclusive franchise after PS4 was released. Obviously, on PS4 launch for exclusives, we had Killzone: Shadowfall and Knack and Resogun.

P.S. I don't have to write anything down I have a memory made of steel :)

The PS5 launch year is looking like this right now

Days Gone
The Last of Us II
Death Stranding

TLOU II and Death Stranding being the Swan songs of PS4 with possible remaster releases down the line or even as cross-gen titles as well on launch day. Spiderman and God of War will be out this year, and Ni No Kuni 2 already came out. There is nothing else left on the 1st party exclusive side as far as we know until E3 announcements.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Last edited:

Leonidas

If you put together a PC with a midrange Ryzen CPU and Vega 56 it will probably match or exceed PS5 in all areas in terms of hardware. PC GPU prices are still very bad though so it's not worth doing at this time, but by the time PS5 comes out PC graphics will have moved further, Vega 56 later this year will be seen as a midrange product when nVidia comes out with their new cards that sets the new standards.

Highly unlikely that PS5s CPU is close to a full desktop Ryzen CPU, probably going to end up more comparable to Ryzen on a laptop at best.

I'm expecting graphics of PS5 to end up performing like a high end 2015 PC GPU(high end 2016 GPU at best).

So Sony could release a new system in the next year 2018-2019, but don’t expect it to be much more powerful than the Xbox One X. It will do just enough to hit the 4K checkboxes and that’s it. What a lot of you are forgetting is that Sony is no longer the same company that could take a huge loss on selling each PS3. Sony is a smaller company now as they’ve jettisoned or walked away from several business. The PlayStation is now ~15% of Sony’s revenues and a large portion of its profitability. So the idea that Sony is going to deliver some beast, mass-market machine in 2019 is laughable. 1080ti, 24GB of GDDR6, next gen CPU, etc is not going to happen. The PlayStation (since I think they might drop number scheme) profitable (even razor thin margins) day 1. I know it is fun to dream about these beast specs, but temper you enthusiasm with the reality that Sony is running a business that is increasingly dependent on PlayStation for revenue and, most importantly profits.

Do I have to pull the no games card out again for 2013 on Sonys exclusive side? Kk.

The PS4 Launch Year 2013 had 0 Sony Exclusives for PS3 with the exception of the following - Ni No Kuni January 22nd, 2013, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time February 5th, 2013, MLB 13: The Show, March 5th, 2013 God of War: Ascension came out on March 12th, 2013, The Last of Us was released after PS4 Reveal in the summer of 2013 around E3 on June 14th 2013 and was the swan song of PS3 Era, Dragon's Crown July 25th, 2013, Puppeter September 5h, 2013, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus November 12th, 2013 few days before PS4 launch, Gran Turismo 6 was also released on December 5th, 2013 which was a major Sony exclusive franchise after PS4 was released. Obviously, on PS4 launch for exclusives, we had Killzone: Shadowfall and Knack and Resogun.

P.S. I don't have to write anything down I have a memory made of steel :)

The PS5 launch year is looking like this right now

Days Gone
The Last of Us II
Death Stranding

TLOU II and Death Stranding being the Swan songs of PS4 with possible remaster releases down the line or even as cross-gen titles as well on launch day. Spiderman and God of War will be out this year, and Ni No Kuni 2 already came out. There is nothing else left on the 1st party exclusive side as far as we know until E3 announcements.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

I don't know. But I think it's cute enough!

a4c7f9b868394f845a69283ab6cbe983.jpg

yep, 40% price difference is what you can expect.

your pricing could be correct.

at the time PS5 will be on the shelf maybe for 750$ you could buy some more power ,

anyway i always suggest to buy a pc that is 2.5 the price of the console.
so if 500 console buy at least a 1250$ pc

so in this manner you will be on par also with upgrades (like pro or one in this generation)
and this means also stayin in the range of a middle gaming specs pc.
and a price you can mortage in 2 years considering the games prices on pc.

what you think OP?

Yes! The mass-production agreements that companies make with the hardware industry allow them to reduce the costs of each component built into a console. So if the PS5 is costing around $ 500 you will need to build a PC with $ 750. Of course we can not forget motherboard, monitor, mouse and keyboard. But if you already own them, it will be cheaper and around $ 750. But I believe that in 2019 the PS5 will be built with what on a PC would amount to $ 800. If you already have all the remaining components like monitor, special mouse, keyboard and etc. You'll have to spend $ 800 to track the performance of a PS5.

We would have to evaluate what we can get with $ 800 in 2019.
Let's see... 8-Core 3.8Ghz + Navi 12Tflops + 16GB ~ 24GB? :confused:

Top Bottom