• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Building a PS5 with components from the first half of 2018.

Leocarian

Banned
Yes! The mass-production agreements that companies make with the hardware industry allow them to reduce the costs of each component built into a console. So if the PS5 is costing around $ 500 you will need to build a PC with $ 750. Of course we can not forget motherboard, monitor, mouse and keyboard. But if you already own them, it will be cheaper and around $ 750. But I believe that in 2019 the PS5 will be built with what on a PC would amount to $ 800. If you already have all the remaining components like monitor, special mouse, keyboard and etc. You'll have to spend $ 800 to track the performance of a PS5.

We would have to evaluate what we can get with $ 800 in 2019.
Let's see... 8-Core 3.8Ghz + Navi 12Tflops + 16GB ~ 24GB?:confused:

Where are you pulling the CPU specs from?

Where are you pulling the CPU specs from?

I'm sorry. I'm just wondering...

lily-collins-giggling-shy.gif

I'll just reiterate my point...

"If you think the console is two years away why are you thinking the hardware that goes into it will be two years old."

I'm just drawing on the value of a mainstream architecture from the current generation to what will be the value of a next generation architecture. I believe that for the value of a RX 580 it will be possible to buy some GPU with 12Tflos of NAVI architecture by the end of 2019. And that will happen with the ZEN 2 CPUs that will already be available in the market until then. In the second half of 2018 a VEGA Refresh architecture with 8.2Tflops may replace the value of the RX 580 6.2Tflops.

But I chose to speculate on a PS5 built with midrange architecture from the first half of 2018 to know roughly how much SONY will spend on the mass production of the PS5 architecture in the future. Something around $ 750 converted to $ 499 because of the agreements with AMD.
The choice of the first half of 2018 was just a generic option close to our reality to do the calculation.
Anyway...

Last edited:
This is not how consoles are made. The comparison is literally useless as console manufacturers use custom designed SoCs based on their power/cost estimates, and the peripheral devices are using much cheaper, mass produced solutions as well. Off the shelf PC component prices means literally nothing for consoles because they are fundamentally different devices in terms of building methods.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
2019 is a full year of games to launch.

Which is why it makes sense to release it at the end of 2019, Sony doesn’t lull between consoles and 2020 is quite empty so far and the past two E3’s had the stacking of new games slow down at 2019.

Last edited:
This is not how consoles are made. The comparison is literally useless as console manufacturers use custom designed SoCs based on their power/cost estimates, and the peripheral devices are using much cheaper, mass produced solutions as well. Off the shelf PC component prices means literally nothing for consoles because they are fundamentally different devices in terms of building methods.

12.6Tflops, 3.6Ghz 8-core and 24GB of ram!

Let's dream!

dreams4.jpg

n0razi

Those specs are not good enough to warrant a new console. I would say 16gb ram and a newer version of the Vega M. GPU and ram prices are a little inflated right now. I expect them to go down this year.

Texas Pride

Banned
I don't put much stock in the leaks, it's just way too early. Alot of people just jumped into this gen...

Next year will be year 6 for the PS4 & happens to be the 25th anniversary of the PlayStation brand if I'm not mistaken. Couple that with the leaks and it's hard to call it a coincidence they're saying 2019. Late 2019 or early 2020 really isn't that much of a difference anyway. But for my money. 2019 ensures you're first to market with true next gen before your competition & 2020 does not.

Leocarian

Banned
Which is why it makes sense to release it at the end of 2019, Sony doesn’t lull between consoles and 2020 is quite empty so far and the past two E3’s had the stacking of new games slow down at 2019.

What games would you like to see for PS5? As far as Sony franchises go that is.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
What games would you like to see for PS5? As far as Sony franchises go that is.

Guerrilla Games I expect are working on a launch or near launch title, not sure if they’re going straight in on Horizon 2 or if they want to spin up something faster like a new Killzone. Otherwise we’ll probably get something from Sony Japan, possibly Sony London and then some cross port support, BC + patch for the likes of TLOU2 and maybe a few titles from this year.

SoulUnison

Banned
The ps5 will render games at 4k and 60fps so it needs powerful hardware to realize that and sony will use hardware that are from the point of price and performance affordable to make a console powerful and affordable for costumers and makes money for the division

Where are you even getting this info from?

"The PS5 will render at 4K and 60FPS." Like...what? Are you serious? You realize even absolute top of the line PCs struggle to hit that mark often, right?
There are games the PS4 still doesn't hit a solid 60FPS at at 1080p.

This is absolutely delusional unless you're expecting a 700-800+ dollar console.

Man, remember when this was an enthusiast forum for people who had the slightest idea of what they were talking about, and not just fanchildren reading us their Christmas wishlists?
I vaguely remember.

Last edited:

"The PS5 will render at 4K and 60FPS." Like...what? Are you serious? You realize even absolute top of the line PCs struggle to hit that mark often, right?

This is absolutely delusional unless you're expecting a 700-800+ dollar console.

Man, remember when this was an enthusiast forum for people who had the slightest idea of what they were talking about, and not just fanchildren reading us their Christmas wishlists?
I vaguely remember.

6gRa_f-maxage-0.gif

eso76

AMD RYZEN 5 1600 6-Core 3.2 GHz (3.6 GHz Turbo).

MSI Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 8GB GDDR5.

Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1 x 8G) DDR4 2400.

ASUS Black 12X Blu-Ray Disc-ROM SATA INTERNAL.

Cost = $723

Maybe I missed them but your ps5 doesn't seem to include HDD, PSU, Cooling, WiFi and a bunch of stuff it needs to function.
Might not be expensive parts but when you put them together...

Last edited:
Maybe I missed them but your ps5 doesn't seem to include HDD, PSU, Cooling, WiFi and a bunch of stuff it needs to function.
Might not be expensive parts but when you put them together...

Yeah! Something tells me that if this console has 10 Tflops we will be lucky :rolleyes:

magnumpy

I vaguely remember.

isn't this thread kind of a christmas wishlist though? nobody knows for sure what sony is working on for PS5, so these are all just kind of blind guesses! there is a lot that goes into building a supposed "PS5" that we cannot really know.

some of these guesses do sound kind of fantastical though, I guess the xbox-one-x is the most recent example we can base our guesses on, and they, after all, are only guesses.

ZehDon

I love hardware speculation threads. With the mid-gen refresh on both fronts, my usual speculations are a bit out of sorts. The Xbox One X (XBOX) is basically next-gen in terms of the power differential with the Xbone. It could go another three or four years in the console space without really feeling too long in the tooth - though the render resolutions would come down to squeese those Tflops. From a Sony perspective, where does that put their goals? Do they start from the base PS4? Or from the PS4-Pro? Or is crazy Sony back, and they go from the Xbox One X?

For my money, I think Sony goes from the base PS4. Of course, this gives Microsoft an edge - the difference between the XBOX and the PS5 isn't going to be anywhere as big as the difference between the PS3 and the PS4, in terms of theoretical power (that's why Microsoft will be another year behind Sony with their machine). Checkerboard rendering has proven a very efficient method of getting 4k-comparable visuals from an under-powered machine. So, for me, I think that's going to be around for another gen as the go-method for getting 4k visuals. We're not at a point where every developer is going to use the horse power to target native 4k. So, I think that 1440p would be the base-line target, up-scaled to 4k with checkerboard rendering, for decent IQ. To the public, that's going to be enough of a base IQ jump across the board to look "next gen" when combined with some of the TAA solutions we're now seeing in modern titles.

I think LittleAngryDog's prediction of 10Tflops is going to be close to the mark, though I think the PS5 will be a bit under that figure. 8-9. A massive jump from the base PS4, but a modest increase over the XBOX. To get "next-gen" visuals over the base PS4 at 1440p, they just don't need to put much more in the box. I'd expect at least 24gb GDDR5 RAM, given how the 8gb in the PS4 is going. The CPU and GPU equivalent's are harder to predict. Given how much money Sony's made from the PS4 by targeting cost-effective hardware, we're not going to see anything exotic. Mid-range Ryzen CPU with a mid-range RX card, with the usual customisation stuff thrown in. It'll punch above it's weight, as console's always do, but that'll be about where we land. I think the days of "next-gen" being the jump from "Jumping Flash" to "Grand Theft Auto 3" are behind us.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know why anyone would have expected to hear about 2020 games at the 2017 E3. This is twisting my mind.

TheMikado

Banned
I love hardware speculation threads. With the mid-gen refresh on both fronts, my usual speculations are a bit out of sorts. The Xbox One X (XBOX) is basically next-gen in terms of the power differential with the Xbone. It could go another three or four years in the console space without really feeling too long in the tooth - though the render resolutions would come down to squeese those Tflops. From a Sony perspective, where does that put their goals? Do they start from the base PS4? Or from the PS4-Pro? Or is crazy Sony back, and they go from the Xbox One X?

For my money, I think Sony goes from the base PS4. Of course, this gives Microsoft an edge - the difference between the XBOX and the PS5 isn't going to be anywhere as big as the difference between the PS3 and the PS4, in terms of theoretical power (that's why Microsoft will be another year behind Sony with their machine). Checkerboard rendering has proven a very efficient method of getting 4k-comparable visuals from an under-powered machine. So, for me, I think that's going to be around for another gen as the go-method for getting 4k visuals. We're not at a point where every developer is going to use the horse power to target native 4k. So, I think that 1440p would be the base-line target, up-scaled to 4k with checkerboard rendering, for decent IQ. To the public, that's going to be enough of a base IQ jump across the board to look "next gen" when combined with some of the TAA solutions we're now seeing in modern titles.

I think LittleAngryDog's prediction of 10Tflops is going to be close to the mark, though I think the PS5 will be a bit under that figure. 8-9. A massive jump from the base PS4, but a modest increase over the XBOX. To get "next-gen" visuals over the base PS4 at 1440p, they just don't need to put much more in the box. I'd expect at least 24gb GDDR5 RAM, given how the 8gb in the PS4 is going. The CPU and GPU equivalent's are harder to predict. Given how much money Sony's made from the PS4 by targeting cost-effective hardware, we're not going to see anything exotic. Mid-range Ryzen CPU with a mid-range RX card, with the usual customisation stuff thrown in. It'll punch above it's weight, as console's always do, but that'll be about where we land. I think the days of "next-gen" being the jump from "Jumping Flash" to "Grand Theft Auto 3" are behind us.

1) Xbox one x is very far from next gen it’s CPU alone is still under par.

2) 8-9 Tflops for the PS5 would be substantially under par, we know at the very worse it would be 12nm but more likely 7nm and the even Vega gpus clock higher than what’s in XBX let alone a year from now with a possible 7nm Navi based GPU. 12 realistically is the minimum we’d expect.

3) The use of GDDR5 makes even less sense as reports the manufacturing costs of GDDR6 over GDDR5 are roughy 10-20%. On the high end of the cost comparison Sony could put 20GB of GDDR6 at 2x the bandwidth(which you will need for 4K gaming) for less than the cost of 24GB of GDDR5.

4) I do agree we are fast approaching the days of diminishing returns.

2) 8-9 Tflops for the PS5 would be substantially under par, we know at the very worse it would be 12nm but more likely 7nm and the even Vega gpus clock higher than what’s in XBX let alone a year from now with a possible 7nm Navi based GPU. 12 realistically is the minimum we’d expect.

3) The use of GDDR5 makes even less sense as reports the manufacturing costs of GDDR6 over GDDR5 are roughy 10-20%. On the high end of the cost comparison Sony could put 20GB of GDDR6 at 2x the bandwidth(which you will need for 4K gaming) for less than the cost of 24GB of GDDR5.

The best predictions is 12.6Tflops, 3.6Ghz 8-Core CPU and 20~24GB DDR6.
3x more GPU power than PS4 PRO and 2x more GPU power than Xbox One X.

Maybe this is the performance of a midrange GPU by the end of 2019.
amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-specifications.jpg

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don't know why anyone would have expected to hear about 2020 games at the 2017 E3. This is twisting my mind.

We heard about some 2019 titles in 2016. It’s not uncommon to announce the big releases years out.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
We heard about some 2019 titles in 2016. It’s not uncommon to announce the big releases years out.

Exactly and Cyberpunk 2077 wants to say hello. This game has been around I think since the 2013 or 2014 days. Quiet a long time.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is been known since 2013 and now Shenmue 3 and FF7 Remake in 2015 so there are plenty of games.. The last of Us 2 was end of 2016 and its not coming till 2019 or so.

magnumpy

Exactly and Cyberpunk 2077 wants to say hello. This game has been around I think since the 2013 or 2014 days. Quiet a long time.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is been known since 2013 and now Shenmue 3 and FF7 Remake in 2015 so there are plenty of games.. The last of Us 2 was end of 2016 and its not coming till 2019 or so.

I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of big games like Shenmue from sega anymore. they're in the business of "games" like Two Point Hospital and Football Manager and, lest we forget, truly awful continuation of Sonic for cellphones xD

Leocarian

Banned
I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of big games like Shenmue from sega anymore. they're in the business of "games" like Two Point Hospital and Football Manager and, lest we forget, truly awful continuation of Sonic for cellphones xD

I am not expecting anything crazy from Sega I was just making a factual point about that there are plenty of games that get announced super early and Shenmue III Sega or not is one of them.

Vexed

What if it's early 2020? PS2 released in JP in March, Switch's recent success in that release timeframe could also help

ZehDon

I disagree about the XBOX. Yes, the CPU is underpowered, so is the PS4’s frankly, but the point of it’s TFlops was to push raw pixel counts for 4K, not provide the next gen now. If developers moved to better utilise it’s GPU, we wouldn’t see Forza at 4K. It would be 1440p with more going on.

The design of the PS4 is using fairly cheap parts to push price competitive hardware for years, giving Sony profits. After the failure of the PS3 and the success of the PS4, I don’t think they’re going to alter course. The move up could work, depending on adoption to drive down manufacture costs. It’s a gamble. I can’t see Sony pushing cutting edge hardware, because they won’t be targeting next gen visuals at 4K, when next gen with checkerboard is basically indistinguishable. As I said, building a console to target next gen visuals and 4K would require a hell of machine, and it’s not worth it. Hell, current gen at 4K is largely off the cards outside of the enthusiast level pc hardware. Bang for your buck, I think Sony goes more conservative to preserve profit margins.

If we’re hitting diminishing returns on visuals and pixels - and I think the return ratio has shifted such that 1440p, checkerboard, and solid TAA is enough for most people - I think Sony focuses elsewhere. Faster loading, shorter installs, snapper multi app functionality. I can’t see Sony, or Microsoft, pushing 12+ TFlops for their machines, because I just don’t think we’re gonna see developers pushing for it outside of the biggest players. I’m happy to be wrong, but I think the mid-gen refresh will mean smaller gains, with more iteration.

TheMikado

Banned
I disagree about the XBOX. Yes, the CPU is underpowered, so is the PS4’s frankly, but the point of it’s TFlops was to push raw pixel counts for 4K, not provide the next gen now. If developers moved to better utilise it’s GPU, we wouldn’t see Forza at 4K. It would be 1440p with more going on.

The design of the PS4 is using fairly cheap parts to push price competitive hardware for years, giving Sony profits. After the failure of the PS3 and the success of the PS4, I don’t think they’re going to alter course. The move up could work, depending on adoption to drive down manufacture costs. It’s a gamble. I can’t see Sony pushing cutting edge hardware, because they won’t be targeting next gen visuals at 4K, when next gen with checkerboard is basically indistinguishable. As I said, building a console to target next gen visuals and 4K would require a hell of machine, and it’s not worth it. Hell, current gen at 4K is largely off the cards outside of the enthusiast level pc hardware. Bang for your buck, I think Sony goes more conservative to preserve profit margins.

If we’re hitting diminishing returns on visuals and pixels - and I think the return ratio has shifted such that 1440p, checkerboard, and solid TAA is enough for most people - I think Sony focuses elsewhere. Faster loading, shorter installs, snapper multi app functionality. I can’t see Sony, or Microsoft, pushing 12+ TFlops for their machines, because I just don’t think we’re gonna see developers pushing for it outside of the biggest players. I’m happy to be wrong, but I think the mid-gen refresh will mean smaller gains, with more iteration.

We are in a race to diminishing returns and in my opinion the race is to 40 Tflops. The first one to 40-50 Tflops with the smallest, cheapest, and most power efficient architecture will win a large market share.
As Tim Sweeney said, he believe 40 Tflops gets us real-time photo-realism.

That said, my opinion is that developers do no take advantage of hardware because their base is soooooo old. Just look at the PS3 and 360. Their is no benefit to maximizing what you can do game development wise if you are using tools that are 10 years old on hardware that's 8 years old and that's where the bulk of your install base is. My argument has been that elongated hardware generations hold back game quality to the lowest common denominator with the largest install base (consoles). Frequent updates with a shared architecture with PC would remedy that issue. Your install base is no more than a few years old, the hardware is capable of running more modern tools and helps keep your install base more current relative to the latest computer trends, hardware, and tools.

MADGAME

With OP’s parts list, I’d like to see the blu-ray player replaced with a 4k player. A ps5 without one would be a no-buy

NickFire

With OP’s parts list, I’d like to see the blu-ray player replaced with a 4k player. A ps5 without one would be a no-buy
That's an interesting decision the powers that be will have to make (standard blu-rays or something more 4k friendly). I could see them going beefy to maintain the all in one image, but on the other hand I bet their focus studies will not show the ability to play high end discs matters all that much if the gaming components would be downgraded for such. Strictly anecdotal for sure, but in my circles actually buying discs has become more and more rare with the rise of streaming. I personally would prefer better cpu / gpu, even if marginally better, than spending any more than necessary to get the gaming data copied from disc to harddrive.

CuNi

I think if the PS5 really hits 2019, it's going to be 10TF at max, and that's when it hits late 2019. Realistically it'll be 8-9TF. You can't go much higher with 499$. People forget that you can't spend all the available funding, even with manufacturing deals etc on hardware. PR, shipping, the manufacturing and logistics also take a cut from the budget. If you want to sell at a profit, your budget for hardware gets slimmer and slimmer. I also don't think 4k60 will happen across all games. Time has shown that whenever there is a console beefy enough to run current games at 60fps, developers usually either put in more features or upgrades resolution. It's easier to sell a shiny new ultra HDR 4k game than a 1080p game at 60fps. This trend has been going for some while. Just look at last gen and this gen. How many games on PS4 or original Xbox hit 1080p60. Definitely not all of them by a good margin and we're already pushing for 4k. So whoever wants a 4k60 console will get disappointed.

We are in a race to diminishing returns and in my opinion the race is to 40 Tflops. The first one to 40-50 Tflops with the smallest, cheapest, and most power efficient architecture will win a large market share.
As Tim Sweeney said, he believe 40 Tflops gets us real-time photo-realism.

That doesn't mean he's right. He's only one person and it's very hard to predict when real time photo realistic rendering will be feasible. Also, as we hit dimishing returns and smaller and smaller performance gains from new nodes, who knows when we'll even hit 40TF. Heck that could easily be 10 or 20 years away from now. Usually performance gains these days in consoles mostly come from hardware developers hard baking features onto the die to push new upcoming features of graphics APIs. And since people have been calling for the death of Moores law for over a decade now, if we assume it does come to it soon, then performance will increase in even smaller steps than it already does now.

Last edited:

MADGAME

That's an interesting decision the powers that be will have to make (standard blu-rays or something more 4k friendly). I could see them going beefy to maintain the all in one image, but on the other hand I bet their focus studies will not show the ability to play high end discs matters all that much if the gaming components would be downgraded for such. Strictly anecdotal for sure, but in my circles actually buying discs has become more and more rare with the rise of streaming. I personally would prefer better cpu / gpu, even if marginally better, than spending any more than necessary to get the gaming data copied from disc to harddrive.

Yes definitely considerations to be made, but as of right now 4k content is somewhat limited, and even more limited for those without acceptable internet speeds. 4k blu-Ray options would sweeten the pot for me for sure. I’m assuming (perhaps wrongfully) that since Sony already manufactures them that the cost to implement isn’t a drastic uptick from standard BD drives.

We’ll see!

TheMikado

Banned
PS5's biggest and most important component is it's first party exclusives, this whole thread is a waste of time.

I guess we should all forget about the hardware and play PS5 games on our toasters... and while we’re at it forget about wings on planes or wheels on cars because the passenger is the most important component.

TheMikado

Banned
I think if the PS5 really hits 2019, it's going to be 10TF at max, and that's when it hits late 2019. Realistically it'll be 8-9TF. You can't go much higher with 499$. People forget that you can't spend all the available funding, even with manufacturing deals etc on hardware. PR, shipping, the manufacturing and logistics also take a cut from the budget. If you want to sell at a profit, your budget for hardware gets slimmer and slimmer. I also don't think 4k60 will happen across all games. Time has shown that whenever there is a console beefy enough to run current games at 60fps, developers usually either put in more features or upgrades resolution. It's easier to sell a shiny new ultra HDR 4k game than a 1080p game at 60fps. This trend has been going for some while. Just look at last gen and this gen. How many games on PS4 or original Xbox hit 1080p60. Definitely not all of them by a good margin and we're already pushing for 4k. So whoever wants a 4k60 console will get disappointed.

That doesn't mean he's right. He's only one person and it's very hard to predict when real time photo realistic rendering will be feasible. Also, as we hit dimishing returns and smaller and smaller performance gains from new nodes, who knows when we'll even hit 40TF. Heck that could easily be 10 or 20 years away from now. Usually performance gains these days in consoles mostly come from hardware developers hard baking features onto the die to push new upcoming features of graphics APIs. And since people have been calling for the death of Moores law for over a decade now, if we assume it does come to it soon, then performance will increase in even smaller steps than it already does now.

Console increase by a factor of 8-10x every 6 years. A pro version of the PS5 if the PS5 released in 2019 would be over 40TFlops in 2022. Less than 5 years alway. Moore’s law wont become irrelevant for another 10 years as we reach the point where there’s no longer a consumer market for faster computers.

Within 5 years you will see 50Tflop GPUs and within 10-15 years it will become standard.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
Just wanted to add to this. The specs have been leaking for a while but the official reveal is imminent.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/13/amd-ryzen-cpu-second-gen/

With last year's Ryzen processors, AMD made a grand re-entry into the world of high-performance desktop computing. Now its improving on those designs with its second-generation Ryzen chips, which are a bit faster and more efficient. And, due to fan demand, AMD is also throwing in free "Wraith" coolers with every CPU. The big takeaway this year: AMD is in an even better place to compete with Intel.
The highest end Ryzen model is the eight-core Ryzen 7 2700X, which replaces the 1800X and 1700X from last year (honestly they weren't thatdifferent). With a base clock of 3.7GHz, and a boost speed of 4.3Ghz, it's faster than the 1800X, which ran between 3.6Ghz and 4Ghz. The new chip is also a much better deal at $329, compared with the $399 and $499 launch prices of the 1700X and 1800X. In comparison, Intel's six-core i7-8700K sells for around $350.
At the more affordable end, there's the six-core Ryzen 5 2600, which will go for $199. It's clocked between 3.4Ghz and 3.9GHz, and it should be a solid competitor to Intel's similarly priced Core i5-8500. The new chips are built on AMD's 12 nanometer Zen+ architecture, so you can think of them as a slight upgrade over last year's models. Its true platform followup, Zen 2, is expected to debut next year.
AMD is keeping full details about the new Zen chips under wraps until their April 19th launch. But it did reveal a few tidbits: They'll run on its new X470 AM4 chipset, and they'll support its StoreMI technology, which can speed up disk performance by linking together SSDs, traditional hard disks and RAM.

This makes me salivate for what could be in the PS5 chipwise.

Top Bottom