• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bully impressions?

Reilly

Anyone?

Bueller?

Bueller?

teacher1ex3.jpg

The game came out today right?

fatius

I'm pretty excited for this one. More so than I thought I would be.

Oh well, gamefly says it's in the mail... here's hoping it gets here by the weekend.

Edit: wow on 1up.com

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
tiong_fi said:

Jaw-dropping.

All the whining about somebody making a [g]good[/b] GTA-like game that isn't about shooting/killing, etc.... and Rockstar goes and does it themselves... and then gives it the name Bully.. when the main character isn't even the bully.

Kudus to Rockstar you've manipulated the press to build they hype for you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, someone explain this game to me. I've all but ignored it, but now I'm at least interested in seeing what it's all about.

Smokey

Exccellent.

Hopefully my game arrives from GameFly tomorrow.

I've been interested in this since it launched, and when the first trailers came out it shot up to one of my most wanted titles, yet people were sleepin' on it.

Not anymore:D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Musashi Wins! said:
watch the gametrailers review, it's a good intro.

This is like my dream game.

Cliques? Pitting them against each other? Jocular and "mature" yet not ridiculous tone and setting?

BUY BUY BUY

Tiktaalik

dillenger said:
What the hell. Moneyhat?

I don't think so. I think the game was just really underhyped. If you look at Sam Kennedy's 1up blog he pretty much says that he was taken by surprise by how good and deep the game is. The 1up cover story and 1up yours podcast was probably done because the folks at 1up believe that Bully is an awesome game that is really underhyped and more people need to find out about it.

picked up this game, I had the CE which is a huge freakin box. Its enormous. The box contains the regular bully videogame inside, as well as the ball and comic. the ball is of course not inflated (the sales guy seemed surprised that is wasnt inflated :lol ), there's a yellow rockstar sticker. the 'comic' is a fold out black and white leaflet really, with coffee stains etc on it. some sketches, and a couple 'pages'/folds of story.

I also picked up the guide - looks like there's a lot more to the game than I initially realized, bunch of cool looking games to play (within the world). Nice large map with loads of places of interest.

I also picked up Family Guy - preordered PS2 version as that was only one they found in the system, but the xbox version arrived also so picked that up.

just noticed that the bully game itself comes with a map, fold out like the GTA games.

the manual is nice, full color, there's a 2 page black and white comic in there which is the exact same style as the CE comic. controls given for on foot, skateboard and vehicles (eg screenshots show cart)

Smokey

cleveridea said:
picked up this game, I had the CE which is a huge freakin box. Its enormous. The box contains the regular bully videogame inside, as well as the ball and comic. the ball is of course not inflated (the sales guy seemed surprised that is wasnt inflated :lol ), there's a yellow rockstar sticker. the 'comic' is a fold out black and white leaflet really, with coffee stains etc on it. some sketches, and a couple 'pages'/folds of story.

I also picked up the guide - looks like there's a lot more to the game than I initially realized, bunch of cool looking games to play (within the world). Nice large map with loads of places of interest.

I also picked up Family Guy - preordered PS2 version as that was only one they found in the system, but the xbox version arrived also so picked that up.

Is the guide pretty good from what you can tell?

This is a really, really entertaining and funny game (Dan Houser is co-credited with dialogue and story). There's a bit too much fighting and the mission design's a bit lacking, but overall its awesome.

It's something different in a very good way, feels fresh.

joelseph

The Chicago Loops needs someplace besides Coconuts that sells videogames. I can never pick up new releases on my lunchbreak!

Smokey Bones said:
Is the guide pretty good from what you can tell?

yeah looks good, similar to the GTA guides. Have maps with locations of all the collectibles (similar to GTA except there are different types like eggs, rubber bands, stink bombs, ACME delivery packages :lol etc). Lots of details on everything, not just a walkthrough. So has shops and what items they have, maps with mission locations and events etc.

Funny that I loved the maps in the guide, so I bought it and then when got back to the office noticed that the videogame package contains a foldout color map in the package. If the game is as good as 1up says, then I'll be glad to have the guide. Looking real promising, I always wanted a modern version of skooldaze...

I dont know if this is considered a spoiler but just in case: there are arcade games to play in the game
five of them, including a future 3D racing game that looks like wipeout from the screenshot in the guide

relyt9

I have to choose between this game and FFXII... I'm already spending too much money on SC:DA, R6:Vegas, Gears of War, and now Bully/FFXII. Kinda a tough choice... what do you guys think?

LJ11

relyt9 said:
I have to choose between this game and FFXII... I'm already spending too much money on SC:DA, R6:Vegas, Gears of War, and now Bully/FFXII. Kinda a tough choice... what do you guys think?

Toysrus buy 2 get 1 free.

Rocked

It's so good to see a quality game with a different setting/theme for once. It looks amazing on the Gametrailers video review!

Vicious

I got it today and it's pretty damn fun so far, but I'm not liking the whole time thing. I want to just screw around and explore for a while but you have to be in bed by 2am or you pass out. Plus, the prefects are always out to get you if you're not in class. I hope it's not like this through the whole game.

joelseph said:
The Chicago Loops needs someplace besides Coconuts that sells videogames. I can never pick up new releases on my lunchbreak!

Tell me about it. A game store could kill down here. I'm still surprised by how crowded the closest comic shop is. You know there's plenty of business people who play games... there's certainly plenty of them that read comics.

The closest Gamestop is at the South Loop Marketplace, which is still almost 2 miles from the center of downtown at least. I'm at the Merchandise Mart and it took me like 20 minutes to walk there. If you have access to a car, it's fine... CTA, not really.

Tortfeasor

joelseph said:

Virgin and Sears both sell video games. Also, there is a gamestop in the South Loop.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I know very little about the game but from what I've heard it sounds like a really cool idea. It's funny how it's been called a "Columbine simulator" when it doesn't seem to be like that at all.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I appreciate the amt of detail game trailers put in to that videogame review. Do they review all released games, and do they do them all with that much quality?

negitoro7

DarienA said:
I appreciate the amt of detail game trailers put in to that videogame review. Do they review all released games, and do they do them all with that much quality?

They don't review all games, but the ones I've seen are all great quality.

Feindflug

WTF at the 1up review! O__O

The game looked interesting but not AAA material...I guess I have to check out the game. ^__^

Ranger X

What the hell 10 on 10 ??????

I'm gonna go read this right now. Sleeper hit?

EDIT: doesn't sound like a money hat review at least... I'm gonna rent it.

Top Bottom