• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie: Each planet & moon in Destiny will be the size of Reach (5 known planet/moon)

My impression is it's less an open world and more a hub and spoke system, with the main city being the hub. You then head out to missions via teleporters and ships. Some mission locations are said to be sizable and with explorable areas indoors and out, but we have yet to really see the extent of it. We know we all have a personal vehicle to help span large spaces, which implies um, large spaces. But we have yet to see them. That will probably be something featured in either the run up to the beta or the beta itself.

I agree about the hub and spoke system part. I feel like it'll be similar to ODST in that regard, on an obviously much larger scale.

Flipyap

Well it combines my favorite aspects of nature: water and frozen/snowy conditions. Bungie will make Europa cool.
It's more like ice, ice and some more ice/icy conditions, it really doesn't need anyone's help when it comes to being cool.

GhaleonEB

So I just realized I replied to the wrong person. Sorry about that. To answer your question, yes the campaing is said to have a narrative with an arc that runs through it. Side missions (raids/dungeons) open up as you go through it, expanding the worlds and places you can go both as part of the main story and outside of it as you near end game content. At least, that's my understanding.

Nothing's really hooked me on Destiny yet (I've always been a Halo guy, not a Bungie guy specifically), but if we get an entire planet / satellite / celestial body / bonus planet / whatever that's basically New Alexandria but bigger, I'm in.

Jburton

Banned
This is my most anticipated game of the year, got my beta access ready to go and will hopefully playing the beta not long after E3 (think that's the generally expected date) on PS4.

RoKKeR

I'm still waiting for Bungie to tell us how this game actually plays. What is the pacing, how does the shared world fit in, what does a typical 30-1hr play session look like, etc. At this point the E3 demo is the only real gameplay we have and that was such limited scope compared to what they have talked about.

I know it's coming soon, but it's been hard to be hyped for Destiny mostly because of the way they've handled information so far. Nonetheless, can't wait to see what they have in store. Ready for the
belated
XBO beta. It's got to be soon right?? I'll go ahead and call June/July...gotta incorporate Destiny into Bungie Day somehow...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Beta starts in July/August?
Bungie hasn't mentioned a date yet, but some people think they were teasing a May date in a recent update. That theory is kind of thin, though.

What does that even mean? Reach wasn't open world. Do they mean each planet and moon will be the same size as the average level of Reach? Or maybe each planet/moon is the size of all of the Reach levels put together? If it's the latter, then that is a really roundabout way of describing it.

Jburton

Banned
I'm still waiting for Bungie to tell us how this game actually plays. What is the pacing, how does the shared world fit in, what does a typical 30-1hr play session look like, etc. At this point the E3 demo is the only real gameplay we have and that was such limited scope compared to what they have talked about.

I know it's coming soon, but it's been hard to be hyped for Destiny mostly because of the way they've handled information so far. Nonetheless, can't wait to see what they have in store. Ready for the
belated
XBO beta. It's got to be soon right?? I'll go ahead and call June/July...gotta incorporate Destiny into Bungie Day somehow...

I think the X1 beta is after PS4 / PS3.

I still don't know what type of game Destiny is really. Best I have is somewhat like Borderlands?

I'll probably buy it on release and be very confused for a couple hours

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So is this game going to have mmo style patching and expansion? That one "temper your expectations" quote makes it seem like it.

I've been thinking The Division and Destiny needs that to be the best they can be.

With so many spaces of that size, how is this game going to even work on PS3/360? RAM surely has to be a limiting factor with them and 360 is also limited by DVD size. From what I hear of the game, it doesn't seem like the various planets and moons will be different enough to not allow for a massive amount of repeated assets.

this game should have been full-on next gen only. I always get the feeling these cross-gen games are holding the developers back.

Ganymede when?

cowboy_bebop_remastered_10h264-ac3niizk-mkv_snapshot_15-20_2011-09-06_05-26-35.jpg

Bsigg12

Why couldn't Destiny have been a summer 2014 game? It looks like perfect way to waste my break.

Technically, September 9th is still considered summer. Fall doesn't start until September 22nd this year but I know what you mean. The beta should be hitting soon.

Bsigg12

don't give up hope. This is Bungie, not game hating Microsoft's pet project. If Sony hasn't locked them down yet, you never know what might be in the works. Maybe even cross-play.

Activision has them locked down for the foreseeable future.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if the beta will go live during E3. It would be a pretty cool, "by the way, you can play it tonight," moment.

clav

What does that even mean? Reach wasn't open world. Do they mean each planet and moon will be the same size as the average level of Reach? Or maybe each planet/moon is the size of all of the Reach levels put together? If it's the latter, then that is a really roundabout way of describing it.

Just 5 levels?

# of Reach levels x 5?

5 Halo games?

???

Bsigg12

I wonder if the beta will go live during E3. It would be a pretty cool, "by the way, you can play it tonight," moment.

I'm holding by a May beta with PlayStation getting a 2-3 day headstart on a 2 week beta. I think we will have a massive info blowout on the game and 10-15 minute demo at Sony's conference. I also think by E3 they want to be close to content lock and in the beginning stages of optimization for each platform.

Yeah, that is a confusing way to describe the size of your world. Could say ... GTAIV or something ... Just Cause 2 maybe. Something like that.

But, safe to say that Destiny is the #1 game releasing in 2014. Holy ... fuck it looks so good.

I have watched the PSN vidocs atleast 10x now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm holding by a May beta with PlayStation getting a 2-3 day headstart on a 2 week beta. I think we will have a massive info blowout on the game and 10-15 minute demo at Sony's conference. I also think by E3 they want to be close to content lock and in the beginning stages of optimization for each platform.

I was kinda hoping for the beta instead of a massive demo but I agree, it's going to get a lot of spotlight from Sony at E3.

doemaaan

I'm still wondering how the exploration will work. If you select to go to Venus, is there only one landing zone and you have to travel to different areas? or will it work like Mass Effect 3 where when you select the world you want to land on, you then get to choose what location on the planet as well.

I hate it when these space games only take you to one location on each planet. They're PLANETS. The whole game could take place on just one of them. If the amount of levels they give us are limited, I'll be a little disappointed, but if the the variety and size on each world isn't lacking, I'll have no reason to complain. I hope.

Hype is definitely rising for this game. I hate that it is coming for last gen as well as current. Seems like too big a game and wasted resources, but can't ignore that install base. Hopefully the current gen and PC versions get full attention.

Speaking as someone who only owns a last-gen console...please can people stop saying this. I'm looking forward to this so much and the idea that I should be cut out because I didn't jump on a £350 console in the first 9 months is ridiculous.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Speaking as someone who only owns a last-gen console...please can people stop saying this. I'm looking forward to this so much and the idea that I should be cut out because I didn't jump on a £350 console in the first 9 months is ridiculous.

I can sympathize with that, unless you're one of those people who hasn't bought one because of "no games".
Then the thought of you buying multiplats for last-gen makes me laugh.

im kind of confused about what type of game this is.

I see this is a first person shooter, with RPG mechanics. But is it a MMO??? Is it s loot based game??? or is it like a co-op multiplayer game???

Im not sure where this game falls.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
im kind of confused about what type of game this is.

I see this is a first person shooter, with RPG mechanics. But is it a MMO??? Is it s loot based game??? or is it like a co-op multiplayer game???

Im not sure where this game falls.
Yes to all of the above

I can sympathize with that, unless you're one of those people who hasn't bought one because of "no games".
Then the thought of you buying multiplats for last-gen makes me laugh.

The only reasons I haven't bought a current gen console are most importantly, money, and second to that because i'm not even certain which one I want yet. This christmas i'm really gonna have to make a decision.

That sounds incredibly large. Now let's hope they find a way to make exploring all of that worthwhile. Destiny looks/sounds amazing, but I'm still really unsure about it for some reason - I don't quite get what to expect out of the experience.

Also, how will I be able to get into the PS4 beta? How many people get in?

doemaaan

That sounds incredibly large. Now let's hope they find a way to make exploring all of that worthwhile. Destiny looks/sounds amazing, but I'm still really unsure about it for some reason - I don't quite get what to expect out of the experience.

Also, how will I be able to get into the PS4 beta? How many people get in?

One way is to pre-order, but the official Destiny twitter account sometimes releases beta codes. or was it the Bungie account? or both?

And apparently it's limited.
Q: How do I get a Destiny Beta code?
A: You may reserve your spot in the Beta by pre-ordering a copy of Destiny from participating retailers.
Time and supplies are limited.
http://www.destinythegame.com/beta

Mentok

Banned
This is THE game that is going to push me towards a PS4. The more I hear about it, the more excited I get to see footage!

Top Bottom