• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie: Each planet & moon in Destiny will be the size of Reach (5 known planet/moon)

I hope they're on track for that september release date.

Considering they had to move it from early this year to fall, have given it a concrete date and they have their 10 year plan to follow probably means that it is releasing no matter what.

I really hope Bungie goes into detail about their pipelines at some point. The amount of content they have to produce over the next decade is going to be crazy.

gcubed

Oh! What's that? Never come across it.

Cursing gives you a technical foul in nba2k14 or whatever, but it's very loudly yelling fuck you... Not something I want on my speakers at work accidentally. That's the actual title of the clip that is the advertisement

broony

Yeah Destructoud are heading to Bungie, the uk playstation YouTube channel is asking for questions and Bungie has two weeks left of an eight week development sprint according to their weekly updates.

Beta is coming.

Flipyap

Hamza Aziz of Destructoid is going to Bungie tomorrow to play Destiny. Hopefully we get some new info soon
Play, huh? I wonder what they mean by that. Last time the press was invited to Bungie to see Destiny, they got to see Bungie dudes talking about how awesome it is to play/see Destiny.
I bet this time they'll let them play with some Destiny action figures. There's always a catch. #trustno1

broony

Play, huh? I wonder what they mean by that. Last time the press was invited to Bungie to see Destiny, they got to see Bungie dudes talking about how awesome it is to play/see Destiny.
I bet this time they'll let them play with some Destiny action figures. There's always a catch. #trustno1
Gameinformer have been to play recently, as has Burnie from rooster teeth and Keith Cox from activision UK.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
No Ganymede? I asked for ONE MOON! Way to screw up Bungie.

Flipyap

Gameinformer have been to play recently, as has Burnie from rooster teeth and Keith Cox from activision UK.
Well, I'll be damned! So it might actually be a game!

What's the rationale behind such a massive online FPS not being on PC again?
The same reason MMOs and Sony's PC games don't come to consoles or don't launch at the same time. It's a massive studio, but it can only get so massive and they're already developing for four different platforms. That's a lot of work even without having to rejigger this console-ass console game's supposedly streamlined UI for a fifth platform to prevent another Borderlands PC situation from happening.

Vintage

I'm still very confused about this game's world.
Is it open world, like mmorpg, with huge landmass that you can freely explore? I think I've seen hoverbikes, so maybe it's this.
Or is the world made of smaller landmark areas that are still relatively open? Like Deus Ex city hubs or smth like that?
Or is everything made of small linear areas, like Mass Effect missions? That reveal gameplay seems like that - a linear path with boss battle at the end.

broony

I'm still very confused about this game's world.
Is it open world, like mmorpg, with huge landmass that you can freely explore? I think I've seen hoverbikes, so maybe it's this.
Or is the world made of smaller landmark areas that are still relatively open? Like Deus Ex city hubs or smth like that?
Or is everything made of small linear areas, like Mass Effect missions? That reveal gameplay seems like that - a linear path with boss battle at the end.

There hasn’t been a definitive description of the game yet but what has been said:

There is a defined campaign, with a beginning, middle and end
There are multiple destination across multiple planets / moons. For example the Moon has destinations that include, the Hellmouth, the accelerator and the Moonbase.
These locations for the most part are connected and continuous, but to travel between planets and moons you will head into your personal spacecraft which is not controllable.
Within these criss crossing destinations there are public spaces where the game will match make behind the scenes and place you into game sessions with other players, an example is the public event you saw in last year’s E3 demo.
Apart from knowing that these areas are connected, I don’t think anyone has said exactly how these will be joined, whther in a linear fashion, large open area or hub and spoke. The only other clue to their layout is that it has been mentioned there is a map in the game, which wouldn’t make much sense in a linear arrangement. Suggesting that either an open world or what I think is more likely; a hub with spokes coming off it.

I think until the beta / beta previews, we won’t have an answer.

if Destiny's actual Europa turns out to look anything like the concept art released by Bungie I'll be spending a lot of time there. beautiful art design.
europa_desktop-630x393.jpg

Europa's air is pretty thin, like a thousand billion times thinner than Earth, to have caused those ice streaks. Unless the planet is terrafarmed of course.

Europa's air is pretty thin, like a thousand billion times thinner than Earth, to have caused those ice streaks. Unless the planet is terrafarmed of course.

Part of the lore of the game is that the Traveler terraformed a lot of the solar system.

dtg

Neo Member
Even though my hype level is medium at best for this game, it could be the one to push me over the edge to buy a PS4 depending on how the port goes. I can't see this ending well for PS3/360 at all.

Flipyap

Part of the lore of the game is that the Traveler terraformed a lot of the solar system.
I thought it was supposed to be humanity who did the terraforming using technology (space magic?) from the traveler.
I hope that's how it goes, because a ball magically altering popular celestial bodies as it passes by them sounds pretty dumb. If it can do something like that, it could have at least done something interesting, like, I dunno, turn Jupiter into a star. That's how proper space gods do it. Step your game up, Traveler.

I thought it was supposed to be humanity who did the terraforming using technology (space magic?) from the traveler.
I hope that's how it goes, because a ball magically altering popular celestial bodies as it passes by them sounds pretty dumb. If it can do something like that, it could have at least done something interesting, like, I dunno, turn Jupiter into a star. That's how proper space gods do it. Step your game up, Traveler.

From the GI Destiny cover story:

Generations ago, the Traveler came to the solar system and prepared the way for humanity’s expansion into the stars. It reshaped planets and moons, and taught us new technologies and mystical powers that led to a golden age.

Game Informer

Flipyap

From the GI Destiny cover story:

Game Informer
Oh. I don't like the sound of that, hopefully there's room for a more detailed/interesting explanation somewhere in the game.
Honestly, it sounds like it really half-assed the job, if it has the power to alter atmospheres, magnetic fields, gravity, entire ecosystems through an interplanetary drive-by, but left so many moons untouched and let the most promising one remain a frozen husk.
Most importantly, I need to know what it did to Uranus. I hope it got some extra love.

ampere

Destiny takes place in our solar system? Holy shit, for some reason I missed that...

That makes me really hyped.

Kud Dukan

Has their been any word on a collectors edition? I'd like to pre-order, so I get access to the beta, but I've been holding off to see if they offer one. It's Bungie, so I cannot imagine they won't do one, but I haven't seen much talk about it.

Bsigg12

Has their been any word on a collectors edition? I'd like to pre-order, so I get access to the beta, but I've been holding off to see if they offer one. It's Bungie, so I cannot imagine they won't do one, but I haven't seen much talk about it.

I think they would be more inclined to do one than you think. They had the cat helmet for Halo 3 and the statue of characters for Reach. The game is being published by Activision who has recently released a gyrocopter amongst other crazy things in collectors editions of Call of Duty. I honestly would be surprised if there wasn't one. I kinda expect one to be announced at E3.

Scoot2005

Banned
I have a feeling this game is going to eat most of my gaming time once it comes out. At least until Fallout 4 comes out in like 4 years lol.

Scoot2005

Banned

Preorder now so you get the beta code then upgrade.

desertdroog

For those who are now interested in the game and are pre-ordering it. You can redeem these 17 codes on http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption

At Gamescom 2013, Bungie gave out trading cards corresponding to locations and characters in Destiny. Each trading card also comes with a code which will unlock something in the actual game in the future.

Current Codes:

CODE 1: YKA-RJG-MH9
CODE 2: 3DA-P4X-F6A
CODE 3: MVD-4N3-NKH
CODE 4: TCN-HCD-TGY
CODE 5: HDX-ALM-V4K
CODE 6: 473-MXR-3X9
CODE 7: JMR-LFN-4A3
CODE 8: HC3-H44-DKC
CODE 9: 69P-KRM-JJA
CODE 10: 69P-VCH-337
CODE 11: 69R-CKD-X7L
CODE 12: 69R-DDD-FCP
CODE 13: 69R-F99-AXG
CODE 14: 69R-VL7-J6A
CODE 15: 69X-DJN-74V
CODE 16: 6A7-7NP-3X7
CODE 17: 6A9-DTG-YGN
http://destiny.gamepedia.com/Trading_Cards

Scoot2005

Banned
Just put all the codes in. Thank you for informing me of that. Wonder what they unlock? Better not be some stupid emote shit.

Dirtbag

Oh. I don't like the sound of that, hopefully there's room for a more detailed/interesting explanation somewhere in the game.
Honestly, it sounds like it really half-assed the job, if it has the power to alter atmospheres, magnetic fields, gravity, entire ecosystems through an interplanetary drive-by, but left so many moons untouched and let the most promising one remain a frozen husk.
Most importantly, I need to know what it did to Uranus. I hope it got some extra love.

So typical of traveling, alien-messiah spaceships!

Flipyap

So typical of traveling, alien-messiah spaceships!
I know, right? They just don't make cosmic/interdimensional messiahs like they used to. The job was so simple, a space baby could do it better. And it did!

YAP Stylebook reminder: Refer to The Traveler as "Spaceball".

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or does Destiny look like a glorified mixture of Halo and Borderlands...

Doesn't seem interesting at all.

Top Bottom