• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

I just want an explanation... that's all.

That way I can hate Microsoft or I can understand where they are coming from.

It's a REAL slap in the face when they don't tell us anything, and expect us to go along with it.

fartblast

Banned
Proelite said:
If the Bungie staff is really that angry as something as petty as this then I say they spend too much time watching internet drama.

well think about it, you spend a looong time working on a game that you can't say shit about. then you get the chance to show it to the world, and at the last second the man is like no fuck u. that'd be enough to piss me off

t4ng0

ivar-holds-keep-clam-sign2blog.jpg

I think something that someone else showed affected the planned reveal.

My first port of call would be that PS3 games with 250 players and 8 man squads from Sony. Seeing as multiplayer is what Bungie do best I am sure their new game focused on something like this.

Maybe that game is similar to what Bungie were planning announce, although in its current form it offers more players than Bungie were planning in their game.

The reveal of that during the confrence most likely has spooked the publisher.

I am sure Bungie would have being happy to go ahead, as they know the quality of thier game. Publishers are fickle though :(

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
skip said:
my friend wouldn't fuck around with my podcast schedule.

if theoretically that had anything to do with what's going on in this thread.

Agreed. Luke doesn't get too many opportunities to sit down with the 1up crew, it's very unlikely he would bail without a very good reason.
Hopefully PAX will work out for you guys though.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
tak said:
The crying in this thread is funny. We just have to wait a little longer, it's not that big of deal.

On one hand, you're right. It's just a longer wait until we see anything concrete about Bungie's next title. This doesn't effect the development process and I hope it's not an indication that Microsoft would interfere with the studio in a more meaningful way.

What is irksome, however, is that Microsoft appears to not be concerned with stopping Bungie's carefully planned reveal at the last minute, totally disregarding the community members who have been following clues, speculating, and getting exciting at the prospect of new information at E3. I don't know if they simply don't care about fostering community support, or whether they simply don't get it.

tak

the disgruntled gamer said:
I don't know why people think it's so funny. The breadcrumbs have been laid out for a long time, a lot of people have been waiting for this... it's incredibly disappointing for both Bungie and their fans. We might not hear about this for months now. It's not really that hard to understand, and it's not actually that funny.
Yes, it is funny.

I followed the Halo 3 ARG like crazy, and towards the end the whole thing started to fall apart (for example, large majority of the prizes were never sent. I think it might have had to do with the split and lack of the ARG catching on). I was a little disappointed, but people in this thread are beyond disappointed, way beyond. It's funny.

MMaRsu

Banned
Keyser Soze said:

My first port of call would be that PS3 games with 250 players and 8 man squads from Sony. Seeing as multiplayer is what Bungie do best I am sure their new game focused on something like this.

Maybe that game is similar to what Bungie were planning announce, although in its current form it offers more players than Bungie were planning in their game.

I am sure Bungie would have being happy to go ahead, as they know the quality of thier game. Publishers are fickle though :(

What? Really who wants another shooter MMO anyway..I doubt that's what Bungie were making.

skip said:
my friend wouldn't fuck around with my podcast schedule.

if theoretically that had anything to do with what's going on in this thread.

Agreed.

It's probably truly cancelled for E3, but still, all of the 7's cause all Bungie fans to go nuts :lol

UltimaPooh said:
I just want an explanation... that's all.

That way I can hate Microsoft or I can understand where they are coming from.

It's a REAL slap in the face when they don't tell us anything, and expect us to go along with it.

Trust me, you won't get one from the Microsoft side.

urk said:
On one hand, you're right. It's just a longer wait until we see anything concrete about Bungie's next title. This doesn't effect the development process and I hope it's not an indication that Microsoft would interfere with the studio in a more meaningful way.

What is irksome, however, is that Microsoft appears to not be concerned with stopping Bungie's carefully planned reveal at the last minute, totally disregarding the community members who have been following clues, speculating, and getting exciting at the prospect of new information at E3. I don't know if they simply don't care about fostering community support, or whether they simply don't get it.
We need to send you to go rape some of Microsoft's boxes.

Keyser Soze said:

Speculate all you want, but Planetside 2 is a deal breaker for no one.

Wasn't this thing originally going to debut at PAX anyway? Meta-ARG get.

soldat7

Proelite said:
If the Bungie staff is really that angry as something as petty as this then I say they spend too much time watching internet drama.

Right. Because surely any disappointment that they might be feeling right now can't possibly be related to the hours upon hours of hard work and their serious dedication to pleasing their fans. Silly Bungie.

jacobs34

Well we are either being set up for an all-time awesome gotcha tomorrow or Microsoft told Bungie to hold off on the announcement until later so they could let Gears of War 2 have some time to shine. Sam Kennedy refers to the later sentiment in the news article over at 1 Up. We'll just have to wait and see.

TDG

Banned
tak said:
Yes, it is funny.

I followed the Halo 3 ARG like crazy, and towards the end the whole thing started to fall apart (for example, large majority of the prizes were never sent. I think it might have had to do with the split and lack of the ARG catching on). I was a little disappointed, but people in this thread are beyond disappointed, way beyond. It's funny.
I don't think many people in this thread are beyond disappointed. Some are angry, but again, that is very understandable. Bungie has been hinting at this for their fans, and was now going to reveal this for their fans, and now they've been shut down by MS.

I don't know why you would come into a thread just to laugh at people who are upset about something they were excited about, but hey, that's just me.

GhaleonEB

urk said:

This. Bungie has been working on this viral campaign for, literally, months. It was a carefully coordinated campaign, designed to engage and excite the community. It worked. And Microsoft stepped in and cut it off at the very last minute.

FrankT

Dirtbag 504 said:
clearly you're not a golfer :lol

Well I thought I was reading something pretty magical there for a moment there, but then I got to thinking about that pony that got pushed over on her face. For shame.

FightyF

Banned
browndoom said:
You think MS and Bungie would have talked about this earlier.

I can envision a very dramatic final minute of the countdown, with Bungie and MS execs frantically discussing it on the phone. The last 10 seconds turn into a shouting match with dead silence at 0:00 seconds. Bungie guys sighs and says, "fine, you win".

I expect this detailed account to be posted on Kotaku within minutes.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
It kinda just sucks to build hype like this and then have it shut down. Microsoft should have just told Bungie not to say anything until it was official that they (Microsoft) would need the announcement from Bungie.

nyong

Banned
Ok, here is my guess clarified so it doesn't look quite as insane(imo heh). I think one of two things probably happened.

1. This is all an elaborate set-up and the announcement will happen as planned.

2. Microsoft cancelled the announcement due to Nintendo's unveling of WiiMotion Plus.

Here's why this makes sense:

- Microsoft is not stupid. Cancelling the announcement is a huge blow to Bungie fans. They have GOT to have a good reason for slapping us in the face.

- Many people expected an unveiling of Microsoft's new motion controller at E3.

- Microsoft hastily decided to cancel their motion controller unveiling and quickly throw together an FF13 announcement that was originally planned for the future. The FF13 announcement seemed hastily put together and poorly planned/executed. Why recycle the same trailer and just slap an MS logo at the end?

- Whatever title or expansion that Bungie was working on utilized this new motion controller. Microsoft had no choice but to postone the announcement.

- The timing on the Bungie announcement would have made perfect sense because it wouldn't have detracted from Gears, and was aimed towards the hardcore demographics. In otherwords, it wasn't really an E3 annoucement.

Proelite

urk said:

Community is fickle at best and has an attention span as fast as a thread moving on a forum. The online community is extremely small and unimportant in the grander view of business. This move, while angering the community, might be a good choice the company made this E3.

jacobs34

Actually, when I think about it... why would Bungie's announcement being delayedeffect whether or not Luke Smith could be on 1 Up Yours tomorrow? Is he taking his ball and going home? I would still love to hear from the guy, he's a great on-air personality. It just seems a little off to me. I don't mind waiting for an announcement, but since Bungie is so good at messing with their fan's head, I'm still a bit spektical that they aren't up to something.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
darkressurection said:
Come on, don't tell me you forgot about raping boxes in Lockout. It was one of the greatest glitches in Halo 2 multiplayer I had ever seen.:lol

lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
maybe they had a 128-player game in the works, then saw they were one upped by Zipper already, so they have to make it 512 before they announce it

tak

the disgruntled gamer said:
I don't know why you would come into a thread just to laugh at people who are upset about something they were excited about, but hey, that's just me.
I'm not laughing at people being excited. I was excited. However, I am laughing at the way people are reacting to this news.

The ARGs spawned by Bungie games are exciting, but they're not the meat and potatoes of the experience, people in this thread are forgetting that.

Proelite said:
Community is fickle at best and has an attention span as fast as a thread moving on a forum. The online community is extremely small and unimportant in the grander view of business . This move, while angering the community, might be a good choice the company made this E3.
This is true.

Zzoram

nyong said:
Ok, here is my guess clarified so it doesn't look quite as insane(imo heh). I think one of two things probably happened.

2. Microsoft cancelled the announcement due to Nintendo's unveling of WiiMotion Plus.

- Microsoft is not stupid. Cancelling the announcement is a huge blow to Bungie fans. They have GOT to have a good reason for slapping us in the face.

- Microsoft hastily decided to cancel their motion controller unveiling and quickly throw together an FF13 announcement that was originally planned for the future. The FF13 announcement seemed hastily put together and poorly planned/executed. Why recycle the same trailer and just slap an MS logo at the end?

- Whatever title or expansion that Bungie was working on utilized this new motion controller. Microsoft had no choice but to postone the announcement.

- The timing on the Bungie announcement would have made perfect sense because it wouldn't have detracted from Gears, and was aimed towards the hardcore demographics. In otherwords, it wasn't really an E3 annoucement.

Wow, that sounds completely believable. What better way to sell their new motion controller than to have it bundled with Halo 4.

nyong said:

Interesting theory. Actually, this potentially makes sense.

Grecco

Realistically

If this was an XBLA game. Lets say a 2D Side Scroller. Why would Microsoft cancel it?

If its a major halo chronicles type thing. Why not announce it at the conference?

really strange.

Top Bottom