• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

Xun

I can't believe I'm not sleeping for this.

GAF, what do you think I should do? Sleep or not?

I want sleep, but I also want answers!

FightyF

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Bungie is ALL ABOUT their community, and have been for years and years. There's no way they'd pull a dick move like this if they had any control over it.

Exactly.

Obviously MS is behind this.

I wonder though, maybe MS is reacting to Sony's or Nintendo's recent announcements? I mean, they could have called it off earlier this week, but it looks like it was called off recently.

Secondly, they could have done another "slow" reveal, ie. showing a pixelated image that no one could decipher until it was cleared up as the weeks/months went by...resulting in less dissappointed gamers.

But yeah, you can't blame Bungie for this. Clearly they have their hands tied.

SailorDaravon said:
Bungie is ALL ABOUT their community, and have been for years and years. There's no way they'd pull a dick move like this if they had any control over it.

Yeah, they are all about their community, but they are very much not all about their publishers. You don't think there may have been more to this then just Microsoft saying "Sure go ahead and do all this build up" only to pull the rug on Bungie at the last minute? Perhaps behind the scenes in-fighting between Microsoft and Bungie about the timing of the announcement? I for one wouldn't be shocked.

Kai

Either this is an amazing lesson in Internet Marketing 101 or an actual real situation. Either way, this is going to be pretty memorable.

For years, the "Believe" messages on NeoGAF (shout out to you Drinky) that plagued E3 were a great study on behavior of passionate consumers.....

To think that certain people at Bungie whom are avid forum dwellers and lurkers could use this to their advantage at first seemed out of question, but really is it? Then the coordination of 1up's story and the webcam picture....

Part of me knows this is not happening... another part me thinks this is brilliance.

Drakken

Aw man, I'm really disappointed at this.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but since it seems like some people are still doubting, Louis Wu over at HBO says it's not a joke.

Louis Wu said:
Update: we're getting a lot of mail from people who are speculating that this is a stunt (to build excitement for an announcement tomorrow), or that Bungie.net got hacked - I can confirm, after speaking to more than one Bungie spokesperson, that this is no stunt, no joke. This is real, and they're as unhappy about it as we are.

FrankT

34q8nfb.jpg

Man, why the pony dude, anything but the pony.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Drakken said:
Aw man, I'm really disappointed at this.

For this still doubting, Louis Wu over at HBO says it's not a joke.

So did Harold Ryan, Luke Smith, and Brian Jarrard.

Dirtbag

My guess is the game was either

A). The rumored squad-based shooter that would compete with Gears at the conference

B). Motion controls - MS felt trumped by Nintendo's 1:1 controls

C). XBLA game --- Ms wants a full release

I dont believe its a halo game at all, so its something that wouldnt compete with Gears.

Digi V

Banned
Someone at Microsoft figured there was no need for another bombshell of an announcement so they put it off, understandable.

It's better served for another time. Good executive move if you ask me.

NH Apache

Banned
Either way, I'll still be glued to the internet at 9:07 (central time).

Time to boot up halo to realize my anger on teenagers.

Guys, there's only one way to know.

Things you will argue about
Things you will make angry videos about

Start making videos!

Digi V said:
Someone at Microsoft figured there was no need for another bombshell of an announcement so they put it off, understandable.

Ever heard of the One-two punch?

nyong

Banned
Dirtbag 504 said:
My guess is the game was either

A). The rumored squad-based shooter that would compete with Gears at the conference

B). Motion controls - MS felt trumped by Nintendo's 1:1 controls

C). XBLA game --- Ms wants a full release

What are the odds that this is exactly what happened?

It all kind of makes sense. The FF13 announcement really felt like it was done at the last second. Maybe the rumored motion controls were postponed, FF13 was announced early, and Bungi is just caught in the middle?

And this "prediction" is more for a fun hypothetical than anything so lay off heh.

golem

tbh, the only good thing out of this announcement cancellation is that it sort of confirms that the announcement is big enough to worry about the timing of it.

still, msft -- diaf

Wizman23

Banned
Digi V said:

Agreed ONLY if it is Halo related from Bungie. It's gotta be Halo related. I doubted it it for months but after this shit is has to be. If thats the case I'm fine with it.

hyduK

Banned
Wow. That sucks. But if they're just trying to build up more hype that would be amazing, somehow I doubt it though.

Koojay

The opening words to the odd Kotaku post have changed from "Page K" to "BLIND ITEM".

I'm dumb, move on.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
nyong said:
What are the odds that this is exactly what happened?

It all kind of makes sense. The FF13 announcement really felt like it was done at the last second. Maybe the rumored motion controls were postponed, FF13 was announced early, and Bungi is just caught in the middle?

And this "prediction" is more for a fun hypothetical than anything so lay off heh.
um

if motion control and bungie was planned from the getgo... ff13 only needs to replace motion control.... :lol

FightyF

Banned
Bungie should have simply reversed the counter, make it count up. So instead of millions of dissappointed gamers, they have millions of confused gamers.

We would all then wait for the 7th day, 07:07:07 hoping for something to happen. At that point you have it count down again. If they had to delay an announcement by two weeks that would have been the best way.

BTW I'm just kidding.

Alright fuck this I'm going to sleep.

I still think that this is fake. There is significant evidence against that, but who's to say that all these blogs aren't just getting fooled like we are? (Aside from 1up of course, they are in on it.)

I think that if it was real then Bungie.net would have its normal homepage with a newspost detailing the events.

I will be laughing tomorrow at this.

If not....
v-for-vendettacopy.png

theBishop

Banned
anarchron said:
Imagine if Bungie reacted to MS's cancellation by going multiplatform with Sony! What a coup!

I thought the deal was MS has first refusal for 3 titles. Sounds to me like MS has them by the balls.

nyong

Banned
DeathNote said:
um

if motion control and bungie was planned from the getgo... ff13 only needs to replace motion control.... :lol

No no...maybe FF13 replaced the motion control rumor at the end of their press conference.

Bungie's new game (or addition to Halo 3, whatever) uses this motion control. What better way to advertise it to the hardcore? Bungie's announcement would have been scheduled as normal, but because motion controls were part of it, they had no choice but to postpone the announcement.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how MS thought cancelling this annoucement, in this way, was good for business. I realize I might be reaching :)

Top Bottom