• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's announcement canceled, confirming once again that E3 sucks

ryan2215

Neo Member
SailorDaravon said:
Bungie is ALL ABOUT their community, and have been for years and years. There's no way they'd pull a dick move like this if they had any control over it.

I blame Bungie. It was their hype that set this up to be such a rediculous mess when they let everyone's expectations go unfulfilled.

I understand all the Bungie fans not wanting any of the mud from this to stick to a company who has to this point built up a lot of goodwill, and i feel the same way.

I don't want to believe it was in Bungie to shit all over their fans like they have, but they have, and that's a shame, and it stings.

Great games and the fans that play them built Bungie, and put Bungie in the position they are in now. They are a major player in this game, and they could have stood up for us, the fans, but they didn't.

And to the people who don't care: don't post. Those of us who've gone through dozens of campaigns and total-months of online care about this stuff.

fartblast

Banned
It's nothing but the announcement that they're revamping Halo 1 to support Live play as it was the most beloved multiplayer rendition of the series by casuals and hardcore gamers alike

does anyone else find it odd that the (supposed) email from Harold was sent at *exactly* 7:00pm? Did he time it exactly right so it sent the mail at precisely that time? And when you consider Bungie's fascination with the number 7.... hmmmmm... makes you wonder.

not to mention:

why on earth would ms pull the plug hours before the announcement because of Gears of War? of all things? as if they forgot they were showing it? i think we're being played like a fiddle here folks.

not to mention that bungie never had a "president" before. all of a sudden, Harold is the president?

Eh? *Shrug* Unless this game is coming really soon and Microsoft forced Bungie to miss a major outlet for advertisement of its new game, then I'm not really worried. Assuming that this project will be out in 2009 I assume Bungie will have another opportunity to show this thing off while being in the limelight.

I'm excited to see it as much as everyone is, but I can wait at this point.

browndoom said:
You think MS and Bungie would have talked about this earlier.

exactly. nothing about MS's showing at E3 was a surprise to them.. why would they all of a sudden do this? it's not like the FFXIII thing was a surprise to microsoft.

anarchron said:
Imagine if Bungie reacted to MS's cancellation by going multiplatform with Sony! What a coup!

Except, like I inadvertently showed you, Microsoft IS the publisher for This Unknown Game. :D :lol

SoulPlaya

more money than God
SeaOfMadness said:
exactly. nothing about MS's showing at E3 was a surprise to them.. why would they all of a sudden do this? it's not like the FFXIII thing was a surprise to microsoft.
Maybe they were expecting Nintendo and Sony to have a stronger showing and they would use the Bungie announcement to offset them. When that didn't happen, MS probably decided that the announcement was better left until later.

Bryant

what confuses me is, why does everything fit so perfectly?

7 Lines of Text in between a header and footer of 3 lines each.

Posted at 7 pm, with the countdown timer ending at 12.

Also, this....

http://www.bungie.net/images/games/Reboot_homePage_03.jpg
Reboot_homePage_03.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/images/games/Reboot_homePage_04.jpg
Reboot_homePage_04.jpg

homepages 03 and 04 are the only ones up on the server, also, neither contain a timer.

3 + 4 = ?

MY HEAD

EDIT:

3 + 4 = 7
3 * 4 = 12

O MY GOD

Nikorasu

I don't even have a 360 anymore, but regardless of whether this is true or not the move is pretty fucking deplorable.

If it's true and MS pulled it, what kind of justifiable reason could there POSSIBLY be to dick people around like that? Didn't want to compete with their other big announcements? Please tell me they knew about what goddamn games they were showing off long enough in advance to do something about it. That said, I REALLY think the company who is the sole reason MS is still in this industry would/should have a bit more clout.

If it is just a marketing ploy I would say this is even worse. This is not the right way to build hype and pretty much amounts to deliberately trolling your entire fanbase.

No matter who is at fault and whatever the 'truth' may be, it's a disgusting situation.

But then, I wouldn't be playing the game anyway barring a (shitty) pc port 1 or 2 years after the fact. Thanks MS! :D

EDIT: That said, I really really hope that if this turns out to be a marketing ploy that people don't just swallow that load and act like everything is peachy. This kind of shit shouldn't be happening.

golem

browndoom said:
You think MS and Bungie would have talked about this earlier.
maybe they did and thats why they warned us there might be no announcement after all?

probably not though.

Haunted

How the fuck do you cancel an announcement that has been hinted at for so long?

Something's not right here.

Xabora

Proelite

Nikorasu said:
I don't even have a 360 anymore, but regardless of whether this is true or not the move is pretty fucking deplorable.

If it's true and MS pulled it, what kind of justifiable reason could there POSSIBLY be to dick people around like that? Didn't want to compete with their other big announcements? Please tell me they knew about what goddamn games they were showing off long enough in advance to do something about it. That said, I REALLY think the company who is the sole reason MS is still in this industry would/should have a bit more clout.

If it is just a marketing ploy I would say this is even worse. This is not the right way to build hype and pretty much amounts to deliberately trolling your entire fanbase.

No matter who is at fault and whatever the 'truth' may be, it's a disgusting situation.

But then, I wouldn't be playing the game anyway barring a (shitty) pc port 1 or 2 years after the fact. Thanks MS! :D

Oh wow, someone who has never cared about Bungie games comments on this news with a passion.

Dax01 said:
You're being ridiculous. :lol :lol

Not that ridiculous. While it is apparently Microsoft's fault for cancelling this, some blame has to be put on Bungie for giving its fans false hopes--unless, of course, this was a totally aburpt thing, and Microsoft originally confirmed them doing this.

KdoubleA

Haunted One said:
How the fuck do you cancel an announcement that has been hinted at for so long?

Something's not right here.

I smell it too:

"PLEASE REMAIN CALM...BE PATIENT. EXPECT DELAYS. LIES."

This whole thing is Brilliant
ly disappointing :(

nyong

Banned
I'm convinced that this is either viral advertising at it's very best, or that MS had a VERY good reason for cancelling the announcement. Nothing else makes sense.

fartblast

Banned
Nikorasu said:

EDIT: That said, I really really hope that if this turns out to be a marketing ploy that people don't just swallow that load and act like everything is peachy. This kind of shit shouldn't be happening.

Calm youself, Nikaruso-san...

tak

The crying in this thread is funny. We just have to wait a little longer, it's not that big of deal.

:lol

Nikorasu

Proelite said:
Oh wow, someone who has never cared about Bungie games comments on this news with a passion.

I do care about bungie games. In fact I have them all save the xbox ones. And I have finished all of those anyway.

I just REALLY loathe this kind of marketing/publisher bullshit. This industry really has turned into a joke.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
SeaOfMadness said:
does anyone else find it odd that the (supposed) email from Harold was sent at *exactly* 7:00pm? Did he time it exactly right so it sent the mail at precisely that time? And when you consider Bungie's fascination with the number 7.... hmmmmm... makes you wonder.

not to mention:

why on earth would ms pull the plug hours before the announcement because of Gears of War? of all things? as if they forgot they were showing it? i think we're being played like a fiddle here folks.

not to mention that bungie never had a "president" before. all of a sudden, Harold is the president?
Bungie + rotated 7 = Bungiel

Bungiel = Nile Bug

Scarab

Halo 4 confirmed!

Kibbles

Big Conspiracy Theory here :lol: I don't even know fully what I'm saying, so don't take this comment too seriously, I'm just babbling shit that pours out of my head. But maybe, all this superintendent jazz that matches perfectly ''Keep it clean''. ''Expect Delays'' ''Lies'' and all the other crap that is odd is Bungie trying to let us ''see from their point of view'' [like Luke said in the last update] how they get screwed over by Microsoft, and they want change.

TDG

Banned
tak said:
The crying in this thread is funny. We just have to wait a little longer, it's not that big of deal.

:lol
I don't know why people think it's so funny. The breadcrumbs have been laid out for a long time, a lot of people have been waiting for this... it's incredibly disappointing for both Bungie and their fans. We might not hear about this for months now. It's not really that hard to understand, and it's not actually that funny.

skip

my friend wouldn't fuck around with my podcast schedule.

if theoretically that had anything to do with what's going on in this thread.

besada

Banned
This is weird stuff.

I think I'll wait until we find out what's going on before flinging accusations.

That said, I like the guys at Bungie, and hope things turn out okay.

Proelite

Nikorasu said:
I do care about bungie games. In fact I have them all save the xbox ones. And I have finished all of those anyway.

I just REALLY loathe this kind of marketing/publisher bullshit. This industry really has turned into a joke.

If you cared you shouldn't been waiting 2-3 years to play a shitty port of their next game. I think you're overreacting since this is a cancellation of an announcement of a game, not the game itself. If the Bungie staff is really that angry as something as petty as this then I say they spend too much time watching internet drama.

CSampson

Nikorasu said:

Remind me why you're so angry again? Did Microsoft's marketing department personally address you on this situation in such a way that you are as livid as you are?

Jesus christ, chill out.

Top Bottom