• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bunheads S1 - Created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, Starring Sutton Foster & Kelly Bishop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

^ LOL, nope.

What do people think of the show killing off Hubbell? For me, Fanny and Michelle's interaction was the strongest part of the pilot, so I'm perfectly fine with the show being left to them. The impulsive marriage aspect of the show was the one thing I kinda dreaded and while it was executed well (and thankfully, not shown to be something romantic) I'd rather it not tie down the show.
I think it could be interesting either way. If he wasn't dead but maybe just seriously injured (maybe paralyzed/handicapped), it could've been interesting to see how that would've affected their relationship. Now that he is dead (?), Fanny & Michelle's relationship will be interesting to follow.

anaron

ygMZx.jpg

Heh.

New episode tonight - "For Fanny."

Meier

I don't think I came back and mentioned how much I liked the first episode -- watching tonight's episode and loving it. What a fun show.

Read it was picked up for 20 episodes
Still liking it, but they are clearly still searching for the voice of the show. Still a bit too Gilmore Girls 2.

anaron

As far as I know the show hasn't received a full season order. As it stands, it's still only 10 episodes.

While Bunheads is still getting comfortable with itself and the balancing act it has to struggle with, I thought this was a very strong second episode, possibly better than the pilot. It manages to more accurately establish the series going forward and handles Hubbell's death with the right poignancy.

I never thought I'd see a ballet dance set to Tom Waits. That whole sequence was truly beautiful.

Oh and ELLEN GREENE!

Ceebs

Fantastic episode. So many of the supporting characters were fantastic. Ellen Greene's Wiccan funeral bit was amazing, so were the surfer bar owners.

I think out of the kids the blonde is my favorite. She has a perfect delivery for the kind of humor being written for her.

This episode did the humor and dealing with a death in the same episode masterfully. Not an easy thing to pull off.

In it for the long haul on this show.

anaron

Fantastic episode. So many of the supporting characters were fantastic. Ellen Greene's Wiccan funeral bit was amazing, so were the surfer bar owners.

I think out of the kids the blonde is my favorite. She has a perfect delivery for the kind of humor being written for her.

This episode did the humor and dealing with a death in the same episode masterfully. Not an easy thing to pull off.

In it for the long haul on this show.

Looks like it'll only last 10 episodes, so it won't be too long of a haul. :p

anaron

Well, at least she has a reason to stick around anyway.

lol, I had to spoil myself awhile back because it was making me anxious.

I wonder how she'll come to teach at the school alongside Fanny, especially in light of Hubbell's death. Shit has really hit the fan for this poor lady.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol, I had to spoil myself awhile back because it was making me anxious.

I wonder how she'll come to teach at the school alongside Fanny, especially in light of Hubbell's death. Shit has really hit the fan for this poor lady.
It feels like this probably would have been better if this was wrapped up with episode 1 as a two hour pilot. Unless they plan on ending each episode with a cliffhanger.

anaron

It feels like this probably would have been better if this was wrapped up with episode 1 as a two hour pilot. Unless they plan on ending each episode with a cliffhanger.

Ideally, I totally agree and would have loved that. Bunheads has A LOT of premise to sell to the viewer and going into episode 3, it's still finishing its pitch. It's making for great, exciting TV, but I'm not sure how it's going to stabilize the casual audience, y'know?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It feels like they almost should have started the show somewhere in the middle of the season and then flashbacked to the events of the pilot to show how she ended up there in the first place.

Although, I suppose they sort of did that in GG already.

ABC Family better keep this show on. They need to improve their brand and portfolio. Can't believe Secret Life is their tentpole show, it has the most wooded acting i have ever seen.

anaron

ABC Family better keep this show on. They need to improve their brand and portfolio. Can't believe Secret Life is their tentpole show, it has the most wooded acting i have ever seen.

It has the worst everything, ever. Pretty Little Liars is really their only tentpole at this point.

They should be promoting Switched at Birth a lot more. Even though it's basically a soap opera, it is incredibly well-written.

Lothars

I really like this show and after watching the second episode, I hope it stays on the air and doesn't get cancelled, give it at least a season.

anaron

New episode tonight - Inherit the Wind.
When Fanny’s attorney gives her shocking news, she takes it hard and makes the situation more awkward for Michelle. Making matters worse, Michelle has a run-in with the law when she takes off in Hubbell’s car to blow off steam, only to break down in the driveway of a handsome, local recluse.

Meanwhile, the girls compete against other dance studios in an “ugliest feet” contest.

Ceebs

Another good episode. The show just flies by and makes me mad that I have to wait another week for the next episode. The private road stuff was hilarious as well.

anaron

The teen stuff is definitely improving; chemistry is stronger as is the acting. Though like last week, certain quirky scenes dragged on just a tad too long. But hey, if it ends up including a cut to Sutton Foster in handcuffs, it'll ultimately be worth it.

I both loved and hated the appearance of the guest house. For a show that's been designed in contrivance, that probably should have been established already instead of just kinda magically appearing. (unless it actually has been mentioned?) That being said, I greatly enjoyed the scene itself, with Michelle just sort of taking it all in along with Sam Phillips music. ASP knows exactly how to use music effectively.

The series is still finding its feet but remains greatly enjoyable in doing so. It has established its foundation going forward, and I'm excited to see what the show can do now to build upon it.

Ceebs

I do wonder if there are maybe too many side characters. Not even Gilmore Girls had this many wacky small town residents.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think I love this, even if they just somehow managed to introduce a new man already. Here's hoping it wraps up fairly well this season, because I get the impression that it's not long for the world.

anaron

I do wonder if there are maybe too many side characters. Not even Gilmore Girls had this many wacky small town residents.

Oh, Gilmore definitely did; it just didn't formally introduce the audience to them like Bunheads has to. The great thing about the Stars Hollow set was that everything existed within a block radius to each other, which allowed the townies to appear naturally. And due to Gilmore's history, they were integrated in a way that was always familiar rather than surprising.

Peru

I'm a bit behind, watched 2nd episode. Quite lovely. Palladino's is still such a unique voice in TV, in the stories she chooses to tell, the perspectives. Will be gutted if it only gets one season.

kennah

Ooo I love shows that let me yell at the TV.

I finally got around to watching the show and I figured I'd give my professional critique.

Surprisingly accurate! I really got a kick out of it and enjoyed the little ballet inside jokes that were tucked around in it. The technical stuff is a little off (no theatre is built like the one at the beginning of the first show and the backstage for the showgirls set was horribly inaccurate). But the things to do with the ballet school and how it is handled are pretty much bang on. Can't wait to watch the rest of it.

Famassu

I simply can't fathom the logic behind the decision to have a two week gap between episodes for a series that's still in its introductory stages. I need my weekly AS-P dosage, after being deprived of it for so long. :'(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The worry has always been that no one watches TV during holidays. It's the same reason why TV shuts down during Thanksgiving unfortunately.

Ceebs

That was a fun episode. Very funny stuff, especially the bit with the curtain rod. Sutton Foster's facial expressions really make some of the comedy scenes.

Also dat underwear scene.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, the moment I heard them riffing on Game of Thrones, it was like I fell right back into Gilmore Girls. lol

Fun episode. I still hope this isn't dead after the summer is over though.

Ceebs

Man, the moment I heard them riffing on Game of Thrones, it was like I fell right back into Gilmore Girls. lol

Fun episode. I still hope this isn't dead after the summer is over though.

It's the music at the end that gets me. The acoustic guitar and the "La La La's".

anaron

Oh yeah, the score is very reminiscent of GG as well!

See, that's actually one of my biggest "minor" grievance with the show so far. I adore Sam Phillips, her work across Gilmore Girls was stunning, and I'm grateful she's composing for this show as well.

But the la-las to me are distinctly Gilmore Girls, and Amy Sherman-Palladino agrees. (or at least, seemed to) So keep 'em out of Bunheads! :p To be fair to this show, they're pretty few and far between in their usage, so it's not like their being used as a crutch either.

As for the episode itseld, pretty solid - with both brilliant and bad bits throughout.

On the good:

Dialogue was in especially fine form tonight - I love that Ned Stark'd has become a thing.

Boo and her mother shine together and are one of the very best things the show has introduced so far. Sasha is growing on me as well.

The dream sequences were also wonderfully shot and a nice way to show that Michelle's failed audition has stuck with Michelle. (big yay to getting Gary Janetti back) But more importantly, Sutton finally got to show off her singing skills! :)

Sutton in her underwear, Fanny and Michelle finally bonding, Sutton in her underwear.

What didn't work for me:

Too much time spent on laying out details/expanding the townies. Daniel Palladino scripts can edge on being overtly grating, and it certainly was in parts tonight. Plus, the show is struggling enough as it is to balance everything. It needs to start tightening things ASAP.

That and I say this as a huge fan of her work so far on the show and everything I've ever seen of her otherwise: Sutton needs to be bring it down a notch in the theatricality department. It was getting a tad too broad tonight.

jb1234

That and I say this as a huge fan of her work so far on the show and everything I've ever seen of her otherwise: Sutton needs to be bring it down a notch in the theatricality department. It was getting a tad too broad tonight.

I like the character and the actress but I'll admit there were times last night when she felt more like a cartoon.

I liked this episode but it felt like one of the weaker ones so far, a bit forced. Still not feeling the children (although I liked Boo's audition scene, with Fanny giving her multiple makeovers).

Meier

I appreciated Boo getting multiple try-outs, but the final one where she claimed she got to dance as well as being just immediately turned down lasted just as long/short as the others which kind of annoyed me. Sutton dreaming of Boo's cake was a bit goofy as well since there's no way she would have actually been able to visualize it.

Show is a blast though, we're loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom