• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King increasing size of Big King to quarter pound of beef, more than Big Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hazk9ix.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...mcdonalds-fast-food-big-mac-big-king/5366137/

The No. 2 burger chain has just made its new Big King burger bigger than the Big Mac. And on Monday evening, it will start bragging about that in advertising.

The move comes three months after Burger King rolled out its Big Mac-buster, dubbed Big King. The enlarged Big King beef will weigh in (uncooked) at 4 ounces, vs. 3.2 ounces for the beef on the iconic McDonald's burger that it mimicked, the Big Mac.

It's very rare for a chain to increase the size of a core product and not increase price. But the Big King, made with two beef patties, lettuce, onions and sauce on a three-layer sesame seed bun, will still sell for $3.69. It's also currently part of a two-for-$5 promo.

"At Burger King, we know that size matters," says Alex Macedo, president of Burger King North America
, in a phone interview. "This allows us to give even more value."

Burger King plans to expand its Big King platform with more innovation, though he declined to be specific. "We're testing a lot of things," he says.

When it recently tested the newly enlarged Big King burger at 200 restaurants in South Florida, guest satisfaction scores jumped more than 10%, he says. "Increasing the amount of beef makes a big difference."

But McDonald's is hardly ignoring the competition. While there are no national promotions for Big Mac at the moment, in some regional markets, the burger giant has recently offered special deals in which customers get a second Big Mac for 1 cent when they purchase one at the regular price.

Nutritional comparison from Brand Eating:

Nutritional Info - Burger King Big King - less beef version (190g)
Calories - 510 (from Fat - 260)
Fat - 29g (Saturated Fat - 10g)
Sodium - 780mg
Carbs - 38g (Sugar - 8g)
Protein - 18g

Nutritional Info - Burger King Big King - new version with a quarter pound of beef (198g)
Calories - 530 (from Fat - 280)
Fat - 31g (Saturated Fat - 11g)
Sodium - 790mg
Carbs - 38g (Sugar - 8g)
Protein - 19g

dejay

Banned
I often buy big burgers and skip on fries. I don't see much wrong with this, except the amount of sodium is high.

kick51

Banned
Today I learned that this cup of Chobani has almost as much protein (11 g) as a hamburger.

Huh.

the big king has the advantage of not leaving a chalky semi-bitterish taste in your mouth after!

signed, a chalky semi-bitterish chobani eater

rrs

There was a Big Mac promo here that let you get a second Big Mac for how cold it was outside. In one of the coldest winters in 30ish years.

Anyways, rodeo burger is one of the better deals BK has.

I had a Big King for the first time three days ago and I found it to be really disappointing. I'm not sure what I expected, but the sandwich was underwhelming in every single way. I don't know if simply making it a bit bigger would fix it.

There was a Big Mac promo here that let you get a second Big Mac for how cold it was outside. In one of the coldest winters in 30ish years.

Anyways, rodeo burger is one of the better deals BK has.

I had a Big King for the first time three days ago and I found it to be really disappointing. I'm not sure what I expected, but the sandwich was underwhelming in every single way. I don't know if simply making it a bit bigger would fix it.
right?

It only does the job of appearing like a big Mac

Chris R

McDonalds to counter by expanding the McKinley Mac outside of Alaska. Take your wimpy meat patties away and replace them both with the 1/4lb patties found in other burgers.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully McDonald's retaliates with a 1lb Big Mac.

aku:jiki

Wait, a Big King in the US is different from the european one? Because it's been my go-to BK burger for, I don't even know, like 8 years? Actually, the Big King XXL is my jam. The only fast food shit I still crave for sometimes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Until they bring back the mushroom double swiss, I will always hate BK. But their chicken royale is quite nice.

Surprised the big mac has so little beef. I assumed with two patties it must be around the same as a quarterpounder

-Silver-

Will they do this in the UK as well? I remember buying one for £2, I think on Tuesday, and for something called "Big King", it was very small, more or less the size as McDonalds double cheeseburger.

CassSept

Wait, a Big King in the US is different from the european one? Because it's been my go-to BK burger for, I don't even know, like 8 years? Actually, the Big King XXL is my jam. The only fast food shit I still crave for sometimes.

Yeah, one of the things you learn from popping into GAF fast food threads. There are huuuge differences between Europe and US. In most cases international fast food chains in the US carry far inferior products, Burger King included.

And yes, Big King XXL is amazing. Especially with Chili Cheese Sauce. So unhealthy. So good.

Edit: For reference, regular Big King has 560 kcal (without the bun in the middle mind you), while Big King XXL has ONE THOUSAND calories. Aww yiss.

I love the Big Mac, and I REALLY wanted to like the Big King, but I've had it a couple of times and it's just awful. Maybe improving the size of the patties will help. The sandwich was so dry and rubbery.

RangersFan

Still shocked people go to BK. They have the absolute worst tasting burger meat out of any of the fast food chains. Just thinking of the flavor of their burger meat makes me nauseous. I don't care of the Big Mac has less meat it still tastes much better than anything BK can make. In terms of fast food Burgers McD's may be at the bottom in terms of taste but still way better than BK.

pa22word

Still shocked people go to BK. They have the absolute worst tasting burger meat out of any of the fast food chains. Just thinking of the flavor of their burger meat makes me nauseous. I don't care of the Big Mac has less meat it still tastes much better than anything BK can make. In terms of fast food Burgers McD's may be at the bottom in terms of taste but still way better than BK.

tbqh i haven't eaten at burger king in years. i hope they get their act together, but yaeh....

their chicken fries are badasss based on what i remember tho

bengraven

Fuck yes. I love the BK - so much better than the Big Mac. Sure, it's a ripoff, but it's a ripoff on superior meat that I can get a tomato and onion on with no charge.

Mareg

You know what is sad ?
Big King used to be my favorite burger of all bugers made by every fast food chains. Then for healthy reason I stoped going to fast food for a couple of years. A year ago, I went to Buger King here in Canada and asked for a Big King. I kid you not, nobody knew what I was asking for. They all had that puzzled face.
I later found out that they axed that burger from the Canadian branch of Burger King. This has to be the most ridiculous decision in the history of fast food. I'm ashamed of my country.

aku:jiki

Still shocked people don't go to BK. They have the absolute best tasting burger meat out of any of the fast food chains. Just thinking of the flavor of their burger meat makes me salivate. I don't care of the Big Mac has more meat it still tastes much worse than anything BK can make. In terms of fast food Burgers BK may be at the top.

zma1013

Still shocked people don't go to BK. They have the absolute best tasting burger meat out of any of the fast food chains. Just thinking of the flavor of their burger meat makes me salivate. I don't care of the Big Mac has more meat it still tastes much worse than anything BK can make. In terms of fast food Burgers BK may be at the top.

Eh, I prefer Wendy's meat taste actually. The flame broiled whatever is just boring to me or something.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I love the Big Mac, and I REALLY wanted to like the Big King, but I've had it a couple of times and it's just awful. Maybe improving the size of the patties will help. The sandwich was so dry and rubbery.

Pretty much this, although my complaint has less to do with texture than it does the sauce on it being too sweet. The Big Mac sauce is more tangy and less sugary and it makes all the difference in the world.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The middle bun is too thick. Makes it way too bready.

I still prefer Wendy's.

ce3gDhCl.jpg

lil smoke

Banned
Eh, I prefer Wendy's meat taste actually. The flame broiled whatever is just boring to me or something.
Wendy's burgers are just about as good as the boutique burger places.

The meat tastes like beef. BK just uses too much smoke 'flavouring' and all McDs stuff has this generic sugary flavor to it. Everything at McDs is starting to have a signature sweet flavor now. I recently deconstructed my McDs QP'dr, and examined every element. They've got tricks.

Rich!

haha, I live in the UK and I didn't even realise we had the Big King. My go-to burger here is the Angus Steakhouse, which is FUCKING AMAZING.

I'll get a big king tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom