• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King testing Whopper Dog in select locations (UPDATE: Launching nationwide)

Time to settle this - acceptable hot dog condiments?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Argentina dog sounds interesting

The traditional Argentine "hot dog" is actually a chorizo on sliced bread. They call it a "choripan." The chorizo doesn't really taste like the Mexican chorizo I can find here in the US, it's a good deal more flavorful and spicy. It's really more of a sausage/brat type setup than a hot dog. They usually come with chimichurri sauce or plain with mustard. And they are absolutely delicious.

People eat hot dogs down there, but choripan is way more popular.

SVCB8kn.jpg

throw in some worcestershire sauce and a barely detectable pinch of cayenne and you've got Cane's sauce

Yeah, I've seen very similar sauces all around the world. The Argentine version is mainly ketchup and mayo, but they add a bit of pimento or oregano to flavor. It's a nice mix of tangy and sweet.

The chorizo doesn't really taste like the Mexican chorizo I can find here in the US, it's a good deal more flavorful and spicy.

This is all I needed to know. Chorizo in the states outside of Texas tastes like congealed oil in a rubber tube. I don't understand why all of the chorizo but one I've tried has been bland and terrible, but I'm always hoping to find the good stuff. Argentina was on the bucket list anyways ;p

so i live in Houston where we have plenty of BK's, James Coney Island's, and Sonic locations.

i gotta say that i really just prefer Sonic. JCI is really good, but it tastes kind of odd, and old fashioned. it's hard to explain, but i guess it's the way they prepare their chili and onions and such. they aren't bad, but they aren't my favorite, despite loving the idea of a dedicated hot dog place to go to.

i tried BK's hot dog ONCE, and i can't score it because it was one of those instances where i was at a bad BK location. the food was barely warm, the fries were old and semi-stiff, and the drink was mostly flat. i tried the one with relish and ketchup, and while the flavor was good, the relish tasted a bit off, and it all could have been much different had it been hot and fresh.

the idea of a whopper dog sounds awesome though. i could totally see myself ordering one without the mayo. i also like the idea of the bbq dog with onion rings that someone mentioned on the last page. mmmmmmm so hungry now...

We have this thing called Parisare in Sweden which is pretty good. It's sausage, relish, mustard and ketchup but is served in hamburger buns instead of hotdog buns. Guess it's technically a burger but the toppings are all usual stuff for hot dogs. I like em, especially with a fried egg as well.

parisare.png

just here to remind everyone that chili cheese dogs are fucking delicious

Guess it depends on where you purchase. I got super excited about picking a hot dog up for the first time in over a year, but made the mistake of getting a chili cheese dog at Sonic. Straight trash.

Sanjuro

The traditional Argentine "hot dog" is actually a chorizo on sliced bread. They call it a "choripan." The chorizo doesn't really taste like the Mexican chorizo I can find here in the US, it's a good deal more flavorful and spicy. It's really more of a sausage/brat type setup than a hot dog. They usually come with chimichurri sauce or plain with mustard. And they are absolutely delicious.

People eat hot dogs down there, but choripan is way more popular.

Yeah, I've seen very similar sauces all around the world. The Argentine version is mainly ketchup and mayo, but they add a bit of pimento or oregano to flavor. It's a nice mix of tangy and sweet.

Linguica dogs are also fucking boss.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Pink sauce (aka ketchup and mayo) is a popular sauce in South America. In colombia our hot dogs have pink sauce, mozarella, crushed potato chips and pineapple sauce in our hot dogs.

Sounds like South America knows what's up because that sounds fucking good.

Reminds me of that one Man V. Food with The Big Unit at Alice Cooperstown restaurant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi9zn_YQ6Ro

"The Big Unit" Hot Dog - A full pound, 22 inch, all beef Vienna hot dog served in a full baguette with a bed of crispy fries. $22.99

"Man vs Food Bases Loaded Big Unit" - This "Unit" is fully loaded and comes with "Nightmare Chili", bacon, shredded cheese, cheese sauce, sauerkraut, jalapeños, chopped onions, diced tomatoes and finished with sweet relish. Served with fries. $26.99 (any and/or all toppings can be served on the side for the faint of heart)

o.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm on my diet. Those hot dogs look good and my friend has been telling me he's been going to BK for those damn dogs. Makes me want to cave in and get one. Have had hot dogs twice in the last 2 year.

Zackat

Ketchup on hots dogs... Not since I was like 11.

Mustard has so much variety. It is clearly the superior condiment here.

Draerf

How much of a picky asshole must you be to scoff at what people like to put on hot dogs? It's meat and bread. Get over yourselves.

kswiston

This is an outrage.

We do NOT put avocado on our hot dogs by default.

That is a separate, inferior version.

If you ask for a hotdog in Chile, you get tomatoes, sauerkraut, relish and mayo.

Please do not normalize putting avocado on things. It is disgusting.

I grew up with the Dodger dog toppings.

That Peruvian version of the Hot dog reminds me of everything I ate in the three weeks I spent there. French Fries and mayo in everything. I got served a salad with fries and mayo on it. Fries in soup too.

how do you not pick BBQ sauce for hot dogs

yeah, i mean, i can understand how it only works on certain types of wieners, but i think the poll is meant to be in a general sense. give BBQ sauce a chance everyone!

the Memphis dog on that chart looks right up my alley. it's basically the standard "BBQ cheddar" ingredients on a hot dog. i've lived in Texas all my life and for the most part when there's a cookout and hot dogs are present (which i'll admit is rare) there's usually BBQ sauce and cheese to go on it.

at bare minimum, any place i've been with hot dogs there's been mustard (which i don't personally like) and ketchup on hand to top it with.

Apt101

I love a good hot dog, but many of the "styles" I am seeing here should be cast into a decrepit futuristic ruin and hunted by gladiators on television.

8bit, Alphahawk, animlboogy, Apt101, archnemesis, Branduil, Cardon, Chichikov, chung_sao_ming, CrunchyFrog, daxy, Demy, Easy_D, Fandangox, fixedpoint, GAFmeansLIFE, Game Guru, Hasney, HyperWoolf, Ikuu, Jroderton, Koyuga, KrellRell, loaf of bread, LuciusAxelrod, lunchtoast, M0nochromatic, Mii, Mistouze, Premium Quality, RatskyWatsky, RealMeat, Rentahamster, reptilescorpio, rmt92, Sneaky Gato, Vulcano's assistant, walkrue, webkatt, windz, Xanfrabot

You're all blocked

To be honest, some of my favorite memories growing up is going to Dodgers games with my family and getting a Dodger Dog with everything on it.
The only time I put ketchup on a hot dog now is when ever I go and see a Dodgers game. It really takes me back.
When it comes to eating hot dogs anywhere else, I prefer chopped onions and mustard.

Monocle

Salsa, guac, and mayo on a hot dog? Those would probably taste alright if they were matched with the right toppings, but it just sounds wrong.

The only topping I 100% refuse to get behind is cream cheese. Cream cheese on a hot dog? Obama's America really is the worst.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
To be honest, some of my favorite memories growing up is going to Dodgers games with my family and getting a Dodger Dog with everything on it.
The only time I put ketchup on a hot dog now is when ever I go and see a Dodgers game. It really takes me back.
When it comes to eating hot dogs anywhere else, I prefer chopped onions and mustard.

You're in that list because you picked Cream Cheese not ketchup lol

Guess it depends on where you purchase. I got super excited about picking a hot dog up for the first time in over a year, but made the mistake of getting a chili cheese dog at Sonic. Straight trash.

The chili cheese coneys do taste like they were pressed fully constructed out of a tube, but they do technically beat their burgers and... well, actually I think nearly everything at Sonic is barely edible except their shakes, which are usually both really tasty and possibly the most unhealthy fast food product available. The larges are something like 1800 calories, 120 grams of fat and 200 grams of carbs.

Their tots were good 15 years ago but I tried them again last year and the batch I got was like eating a shredded foam mat soaked in oil

All you guys who picked ketchup disgust me. Mustard for life.

Also I just don't get the appeal of mayo, it holds no value to me as a condiment. Someone wanna explain?

Eusis

It's also probably worth remembering the poll asks about which are ACCEPTABLE toppings, not PREFERRED. Some of those I'd be OK with but either don't care to have on hot dogs that much (guacamole) or have mostly moved past (ketchup.)

Then there's cream cheese. What the fuck? That didn't even have an appealing picture, that just looked like someone put soft serve on a hot dog. Screw that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I guess they're rolling this thing nationwide:

http://www.brandeating.com/2016/05/burger-king-adds-new-whopper-dog.html

Burger King launches the new Whopper Dog as the first limited-time variety for their Grilled Dogs line.

As the name suggests, the hot dog comes layered with the same toppings as the chain's signature Whopper sandwich: lettuce, tomato, ketchup, chopped onions, and pickles.

The suggested price for the Whopper Dog is $1.99 (may vary).

If you're wondering what other hot dog flavors might make it on the menu down the line, during testing last year, a Rodeo version as well as an A.1 Ultimate Grilled Dog was spotted.

Nutritional Info - Burger King Whopper Dog
Calories - 380 (from Fat - 220)
Fat - 24g (Saturated Fat - 8g)
Sodium - 1040mg
Carbs - 30g (Sugar - 8g)
Protein - 11g

vNk7R39.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom