• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

Sorian

Banned
Blarg, do you think that you being alive tonight will yield additional information for town?

Again, the answer to this question is either "yes" or "no"

RetroMG

It's a toss up between Lone_Prodigy and Tucah. I do feel a little bad for Tucah because he went out night one in Animal Crossing Mafia, too. Sometimes you're just on the train for Barrylocke station.

Fireblend

Banned
It's a toss up between Lone_Prodigy and Tucah. I do feel a little bad for Tucah because he went out night one in Animal Crossing Mafia, too. Sometimes you're just on the train for Barrylocke station.

It sucks, but if he wanted to make it past day 1 he had like 5 days to contribute meaningfully to our efforts. I bet there's at least one cultist amongst us that's playing like that, and we're not even considering him/her because he/she's actually posting. And hey, we might get lucky and he might be a cultist after all. I don't know the circumstances that made him get killed on the first round in the last game, but it's even less sensical for him to play like that if it already happened to him.

RetroMG

It sucks, but if he wanted to make it past day 1 he had like 5 days to contribute meaningfully to our efforts. I bet there's at least one cultist amongst us that's playing like that, and we're not even considering him/her because he/she's actually posting. And hey, we might get lucky and he might be a cultist after all. I don't know the circumstances that made him get killed on the first round in the last game, but it's even less sensical for him to play like that if it already happened to him.

He was the Mafia's first night kill.

But still, you make a good point.

Vote: Tucah

RetroMG

Cutting this off into a separate post:

BTW, it looks like a lot of games need replacements, so be advised, there might be the option to replace into another game instead of going to the dead thread. Bear that in mind if/when you guys die.

That being said, The dead thread is freaking awesome, especially once the games really get rolling. Everyone roots for the remaining players on their team and boos the opposing players.

Sorian

Banned
As someone who did not play any other mafia games but did take a look at the last dead thread. I can confirm it seemed like a hoot. If nothing else, you can boo Daryll if he was mean to you.

RetroMG

As someone who did not play any other mafia games but did take a look at the last dead thread. I can confirm it seemed like a hoot. If nothing else, you can boo Daryll if he was mean to you.

You kidding? I made a post game career out of booing Darryl.

I suck, I've been spelling Darryl"s name wrong for awhile

*Darryl

*Darryl

*Darryl

I'm sorry about that.

Fun fact: My dad's name is Darryl, so I thought for sure Darryl's would be spelled differently. Felt stupid when I realized that it was the same spelling.

Assuming that we are correct about his role, I think that keeping Blargonaut alive is not necessarily completely pro-Town, but neither is it pro-Mafia, and it is in their interests to try to eliminate such an unknown variable in order to ensure that they can confidently control who will die in the night phase.

The difference is that they are the informed minority and will not be targeting certain people (members of the mafia), whilst Blarg's NK actually has the potential to hit upon a person of interest who would otherwise confidently escape N1 unscathed. Of course, it may not. Who knows.

I'm definitely all for lynching him when the time is right (not now), but I'm happy to gamble for information Day 2.

There's also the idea that Night 1 could only end up with one kill, which would also be quite interesting. I'm not one to put the cart before the horse.

Fireblend

Banned
Assuming that we are correct about his role, I think that keeping Blargonaut alive is not necessarily completely pro-Town, but neither is it pro-Mafia, and it is in their interests to try to eliminate such an unknown variable in order to ensure that they can confidently control who will die in the night phase.

The difference is that they are the informed minority and will not be targeting certain people (members of the mafia), whilst Blarg's NK actually has the potential to hit upon a person of interest who would otherwise confidently escape N1 unscathed. Of course, it may not. Who knows.

I'm definitely all for lynching him when the time is right (not now), but I'm happy to gamble for information Day 2.

There's also the idea that Night 1 could only end up with one kill, which would also be quite interesting. I'm not one to put the cart before the horse.

How do you feel about Tucah? :p

How do you feel about Tucah? :p

I think he's probably one of the people leaving to be replaced, but it annoys me that we don't have their names. If he's actually still playing, then he's clearly shady as fuck, but equally I think it would be a massive misstep for a member of the mafia to be so completely absent for such a long time.

I will freely admit now that I will happily switch to whichever bandwagon leaves Blargonaut alive going into Night 1. If that's Tucah, then so be it.

Sorian

Banned
I think he's probably one of the people leaving to be replaced, but it annoys me that we don't have their names. If he's actually still playing, then he's clearly shady as fuck, but equally I think it would be a massive misstep for a member of the mafia to be so completely absent for such a long time.

I will freely admit now that I will happily switch to whichever bandwagon leaves Blargonaut alive going into Night 1. If that's Tucah, then so be it.

Assuming we aren't getting names of those looking to be replaced (we aren't) then here's why Tucah is a safe choice either way:

Tucah is still in this game: Easy, as NF so eloquently put it, he is "shady as fuck"

Tucah is being replaced: My list of people who would be best for day 1 kill are Tucah, OceanicAir, Neuromancer, and Prodigy. Out of those 4, I read tourist on both Neuromancer and Prodigy. They could be naïve readings but they both come off as new players who don't know what they are doing. That could be a trick but I think it's too early to assume it's a trick. Tucah and Oceanic both have so little activity that either could be on that replacement list. Oceanic read as helpful when he was posting though. I'd rather keep him if he is going to be helpful when he becomes more active, Tucah though wasn't helpful at all during his "Active" time.

This wasn't really for you NF but more for everyone watching. At the end of the day, I want to see one of the 4 above gone but I think Tucah is the smartest choice from the list.

I'm considering voting for Blargonaut as well.

It could be a good cultist strategy to say a bunch of cryptic things and give suggestions to everyone for the purpose of misdirection. Try to get some of the tourists to believe that you have special information and then if (when) things don't go as expected you can always blame other people for not following your 'orders' correctly.

Sorian

Banned
I will not reveal the names of the players who will be replaced.

c5ccda289dc88dbcb8c5b72a13da568b.gif

I stand by my point.

Would you mind posting an updated vote count?

Fireblend

Banned
I'm considering voting for Blargonaut as well.

It could be a good cultist strategy to say a bunch of cryptic things and give suggestions to everyone for the purpose of misdirection. Try to get some of the tourists to believe that you have special information and then if (when) things don't go as expected you can always blame other people for not following your 'orders' correctly.

That'd be a terrible cultist move. The only way Blarg makes it past day 2 as a cultist is if he gives us useful information, which would either mean implicating a fellow cultist or outright selling them out. I think most of us who want to save Blarg today think that if he doesn't turn out to be any useful in day 2, he'd be our first pick for day 2 lynch easy, and a day 2 cultist lynch plus either an inactive tourist or lucky (for us) cultist kill today sounds pretty damn good to me.

I will not reveal the names of the players who will be replaced.

Well, that's good to know.

Zatoth

Tucah (4)
Fireblend
Sorian
RetroMG
Blargonaut

Blargonaut (4)
Flame_AC
Matt Attack
Timeaisis
Lord of Castamere

Lone_Prodigy (3)
Rats Off To Ya
Never Forever
Darryl

Darryl (1)
Lone_Prodigy

Lord of Castamere (1)
ultron87

13 votes are needed to end the day early.

Sorian

Banned
That'd be a terrible cultist move. The only way Blarg makes it past day 2 as a cultist is if he gives us useful information, which would either mean implicating a fellow cultist or outright selling them out. I think most of us who want to save Blarg today think that if he doesn't turn out to be any useful in day 2, he'd be our first pick for day 2 lynch easy, and a day 2 cultist lynch plus either an inactive tourist or lucky (for us) cultist kill today sounds pretty damn good to me.

Piggybacking off of this. Blarg is crazy, yes, but there is no way that he is doing all of this as a cultist. Even when he made that bad play in the star wars game, he threw up his real defense in a puzzle. I'm confident that he is third party or tourist. The odds aren't 100% but I think it's more likely that he'll be more useful alive than dead. I have to be extremely impressed or have a verified cultist on day 2 for me not to be the first one holding a pitchfork on him during the next day phase.

Fireblend

Banned
In fact, I'll vow right now that if Blarg survives and he turns out not to be of any use at all, I'll happily join the bandwagon against him during the next day phase unless there's a guaranteed cultist lynch candidate somehow.

nin1000

Banned
Since it's only 3 hours left to end the day and I will only be on mobile since then, I will have to cast a vote. My vote would either go for Blargonaut or Tucah.
But since I hope we will get some info from Blargonaut the coming day it will be Tucah who gets my vote today.

The reason? For today I will trust Blargonaut

ultron87

I don't see myself as being in a position to trust what Blarg says tomorrow either. You guys are like, "oh, he needs to be helpful" so of course he'll say something that at least sounds helpful. Then what, we just trust him and go with it? He's not going to come back tomorrow and say "oh, I got nothing, guess you better hang me".

Vote: Blargonaut

Sorian

Banned
I don't see myself as being in a position to trust what Blarg says tomorrow either. You guys are like, "oh, he needs to be helpful" so of course he'll say something that at least sounds helpful. Then what, we just trust him and go with it? He's not going to come back tomorrow and say "oh, I got nothing, guess you better hang me".

The information that I expect to come from him won't come from what he tells us, it will come from the deaths that are revealed to have occurred during night 1. I think he expects to pull off something grand with the one night he has, he will most likely fail but that failure will supply us information as well and if he fails, he dies.

Fireblend

Banned

I doubt very much he has any chance to survive day 2 unless the information he provides is both verifiable and significant. He's going to be starting day 2 on the chopping block already, if he keeps up with his cryptic bs I doubt any bluff could save him considering how difficult it is to argue for his salvation on day 1 already.

Flame_AC

So everyone agrees to lynch Blarg tomorrow if he does not provide substantial information, correct? If so, I will change my vote, but only on everyone's word to vote for him tomorrow unless he is amazingly helpful tomorrow.

Blarg's on notice as far as I'm concerned. This is a stay of execution, not a pardon.

I don't particularly like the Tucah vote, but I'm not against it. Just wanted to get that out there on record.

Sorian

Banned
So everyone agrees to lynch Blarg tomorrow if he does not provide substantial information, correct? If so, I will change my vote, but only on everyone's word to vote for him tomorrow unless he is amazingly helpful tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm fine with this. Like I said, my vote will be Blarg unless someone has a lock on an actual cult member. If Blarg is third party, he is dangerous for long periods of time but letting a third party act once or twice can be beneficial.

So of the two bandwagons going on I think the case against Tucah is very, very weak. He hasn't done or said anything suspicious at all to me. A vote for him is like a vote for any random player really. Which is fine, if that's what it is, but don't couch it as anything else. I feel like the cultists would be behind a move like this.

Meanwhile Blargonaut is still acting weird and suspicious. Trying to convince the tourists to believe him on day one is too strange for me to ignore. At best I'd say he's a neutral 3rd party, not town. I don't like wild cards.

Sorian

Banned
I don't particularly like the Tucah vote, but I'm not against it. Just wanted to get that out there on record.

Basically my thoughts on the Prodigy vote and again, just saying it for the record just in case public opinion ends up swinging that way when its about time for voting to close.

Fireblend

Banned

Yes. And again, just so you can quote me later: I vow not to defend Blarg tomorrow. If he turns out to be useful he won't be in any danger. If he doesn't, no argument will save him anyway. With my vote today I'm giving him the chance to redeem himself, but I don't plan to sacrifice my credibility anymore if he keeps up with his cryptic BS or doesn't prove his usefulness.

Zatoth

Looking through the rules I did not see them mention what happens in the event of a tie.

So just to make make it clear. Should the voting end with the same number of votes on 2 or more players, no one will be lynched.

I'll add it to the rules now.

"In the event of a day ending with no player having a plurality of the votes, then the game will proceed to the next night phase with nobody lynched ("no-lynch")." (stole it from crab's game)

I am sorry if this lead to misunderstandings.

Sorian

Banned
So of the two bandwagons going on I think the case against Tucah is very, very weak. He hasn't done or said anything suspicious at all to me. A vote for him is like a vote for any random player really. Which is fine, if that's what it is, but don't couch it as anything else. I feel like the cultists would be behind a move like this.

Out of curiosity, do you read a vote for Tucah to be the exact same as a vote for Capitan? I only ask because you make it sound that way when Tucah's near silence actually changes that comparison drastically.

Coppanuva

That's my plan. I'd rather see if he seems to be correct so far then decide what to do. We're early enough that it won't hurt. I think keeping blargonaut alive for the first day will at the very least give us a bit more information than lynching him will. So, in order to help swing the vote away from that in terms of numbers I'm adding a vote to the next highest person.

Sorian

Banned
If we let Blargonaut live he'll probably kill me tonight for trying to turn the town against him. There's no turning back, vote wise, for me.

If Blarg can kill at night and this isn't all one big game, I don't think you are his target. It fits well with the theme that I am trying to understand the mind of a mad man, but if I am right then I endorse the target he is choosing. I'm not going to say who it is or even hint at it though, I want no hand in choosing the target of a potential serial killer. This is Blarg's mess to clean up.

If Blarg can kill at night and this isn't all one big game, I don't think you are his target. It fits well with the theme that I am trying to understand the mind of a mad man, but if I am right then I endorse the target he is choosing. I'm not going to say who it is or even hint at it though, I want no hand in choosing the target of a potential serial killer. This is Blarg's mess to clean up.

I hope you're right.

Out of curiosity, do you read a vote for Tucah to be the exact same as a vote for Capitan? I only ask because you make it sound that way when Tucah's near silence actually changes that comparison drastically.
I don't think Tucah is any more suspicious that Capitan, if that's what you're asking me.

nin1000

Banned

I think of Blargonaut more like a player who is immune to night kills, if we think that story that he is a cultist.

Sorian

Banned
I'd really like Tucah to come defend himself before the days end, but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen.

We're basically at the point where he is in a catch-22. If he stays silent (and he is playing) then we are forced into the shadow of doubt that he might be one of those looking to get replaced but a lot of us have accepted that as a possibility at this point and pushed through for the vote anyway. If he does show up to defend himself, what could he possibly say? Real life is always a good excuse but its going to come off as weak at this stage in the game and if he does post, that shadow of doubt that he wants to be replaced will be gone. Of course, lying is a game mechanic so Tucah could come in here to try and confuse us and say that he is bowing out of the game but I would hope that Zatoth would intervene if Tucah came in here and said he did want to be replaced when that is not his intention because that lie would fall outside of the rules of the game IMO.

don't believe their lies

And Mr. Icky Castamere is just flopping around, he's totally going to retract his vote before the end.

It's just his cooties acting up again. Tragic, really.

I'm not flopping anywhere. You brought this on yourself. Putting my name in that puzzle was completely unnecessary, I read every post anyway, and has been tarnishing my name ever since.

I'm done though. Prove my fears are wrong. Make yourself useful.

UNVOTE: Blargonaut

Sorian

Banned
I don't think Tucah is any more suspicious that Capitan, if that's what you're asking me.

Then I have to question your logic. Capitan is not eligible to still be playing this game come day 2. He has had actual full silence since the game has began so we can literally have no read on him.

On the other hand, Tucah did post during day 1. If he has not contacted Zatoth then he is perfectly within his rights to continue playing into day 2.

If we were to vote for Capitan, that would be a truly random pick, no read and a new player would be joining us in that role anyway. On the flip side, voting for Tucah is actually voting for someone who has posted during this day phase. Silence is a game mechanic too and a good cultist is going to help us as little as possible. Some do that by talking a lot and misdirecting, others do it by speaking very little and trying to stay "hidden" among the quiet ones. Tucah definitely falls in that second category, it might be a wrong read but it is not a random vote like your original post said.

I'm not trying to convince so much as trying to explain another side of the game to you that you may not have considered.

Flame_AC

UNVOTE: Blargonaut

VOTE: Tucah

I'll go with everybody, everyone had best keep their word tomorrow should I or someone else active die. Blarg goes barring something miraculous and gamechanging.

Top Bottom