• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Ghosts online multiplayer discussion thread

This is the first one in a while I didn't pick up on day one.

How is the multiplayer? I've heard some rumblings that the loadout system sucks, but not about the maps/quality etc.

I loved the loudouts in both BLOPS game, and I absolutely hated everything about MW3. Is this one good?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
For those on the other systems, you may have seen some of us Wii U players complain about ACOG sniping, here's what it looked like: http://youtu.be/LpxxX29GRnI?t=15s

All you had to do was place your cursor near an enemy, at any distance, and when you ADS, the gun snaps to the players chest.

This worked basically across maps if you had a clear line of sight, but they just released a patch disabling the aim assist while using snipers, marksman rifles, and slug rounds in shotguns. It's also disabled on all guns after a certain distance.

Hip Hop

For those on the other systems, you may have seen some of us Wii U players complain about ACOG sniping, here's what it looked like: http://youtu.be/LpxxX29GRnI?t=15s

All you had to do was place your cursor near an enemy, at any distance, and when you ADS, the gun snaps to the players chest.

This worked basically across maps if you had a clear line of sight, but they just released a patch disabling the aim assist while using snipers, marksman rifles, and slug rounds in shotguns. It's also disabled on all guns after a certain distance.

Is the Aim Assist disabled only while using a remote, or is it disabled for the game pad too?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Aim Assist disabled only while using a remote, or is it disabled for the game pad too?

I'm not sure. The gamepads don't have a cursor showing you exactly where you're aiming though, and nobodies ever been able to abuse it like this.

At first they just released a patch disabling all Wii Remote aim assist, but they put up a new one with the changes I listed above.

I'd be happy if they just got rid of all aim assist and let the controllers each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

That is absurd and hilarious. :lol :lol

Moofers

Looking for friends who are into Extinction mode. I'm on a mission to get past the cabin and its been tough finding people who understand the challenges/rewards system, protecting the helicopter, etc.

PSN Handle: Uno ILL Nino

Got it for PS3 and PS4. Also in the GAF clan. PST time zone, mostly on at night after 9.

Victrix

*beard*
MSBS is no more or less annoying than any of the burst rifles from cod4/mw2/mw3

People are used to the garbage ARs from BO2. And the MSBS is actually kind of crap at long range (5sk), it's more annoying up close where it can shotgun you (which was always the primary annoyance with the other ones as well, though they had varying degrees of laser accuracy at long range)

SmokeMaxX

People are used to the garbage ARs from BO2. And the MSBS is actually kind of crap at long range (5sk), it's more annoying up close where it can shotgun you (which was always the primary annoyance with the other ones as well, though they had varying degrees of laser accuracy at long range)
No reason not to use the attachment that increases damage at long range with the MSBS.

It's basically on par with mw2 famas.

I've always been a single-shot/burst player but I cannot get the MSBS to work for me at long range.

My favorite guns from all game:

ARs:
1.MW3: MK14
2.MW2: M16
3.MW2: ACR
4.MW3: Type95
5.BOII: M8A1
6.MW2: SCAR
7.BOII: AN-94
8.BO: Commando

Snipers:
1.MW3: MSR
2.MW2: WA2000
3.Ghosts: USR
4.BOII: XPR

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My favorite AR's in chronological order....

STG
SCAR
TAR
Galil
Commando
Aug
G36c
AN94

I had 20K kills with the G36. The next closest was the ACR with 600.

Dunno what I was expecting with this but yea, just as bad as MW3 and BO2. Game actually feels like MW3-2 with bigger maps and better bullet registry. Still an awful casual pos that's getting insta-sent back to gamefly. So glad I bought KZ and rented this shit.

Dunno what I was expecting with this but yea, just as bad as MW3 and BO2. Game actually feels like MW3-2 with bigger maps and better bullet registry. Still an awful casual pos that's getting insta-sent back to gamefly. So glad I bought KZ and rented this shit.

Killzone is fucking horrible. Only reason i enjoyed it was because it was pretty.

I feel like people are bitching about this game because they can't run and gun and do well.

Revson

The ARs in BO2 were by no means 'garbage'. The M8, AN94, and the FAL were all very good weapons.

The MSBS is better than any previous burst fire guns in the series from short to medium range. I 1-burst people 95% of the time, and the hipfire is insane. Even the MW2 famas wasn't this OP.

I do agree that the ranges of the ARs in Ghosts are weird. I find myself getting 3sk with a Silenced AK12 from across the map quite often, while other guns take 5+ hits.

Edit: my favorite ARs:
1. MTAR (MW2)
2. ACR (MW2)
3. AK47 (COD4)
4. M16 (COD4)
5. Famas (BO1)

Killzone is fucking horrible. Only reason i enjoyed it was because it was pretty.

I feel like people are bitching about this game because they can't run and gun and do well.
That may be true but I feel it's kind of dumb how easy it is to rack up kills just by camping with the right perks. Extra Lethal (I.E.D.) + Hardline and chaining into dog, sentry gun, battle hind is pretty OP in Domination especially if put the sentry gun near their spawn.

Running around as a Maniac with your dog is just as ridiculous because you can easily take on three people at once.

I had some fun games last night, and I'm enjoying the maps a lot more than MW3, which is a huge relief to me. There's a few that I don't care for, but overall I like them. Even if I would have less entrances/exits.

The spawns though... I actually got my first spawn where I literally popped up on the guy's Killcam. Like, he's aiming down sights at an empty space, and I suddenly appear from thin air. I've had terrible spawns before, but that one takes the cake.

I'm interested in what maps people like and don't like. I primarily play TDM, SnR, and SnD.

I like:

Octane
Tremor
Freight
Siege
Warhawk
Prison Break
Stonehaven

Sometimes I like, sometimes not:
Flooded
Stormfront
Strikezone
Whiteout

I don't like:
Sovereign
Chasm

Victrix

*beard*
Sovereign and Siege are the only two I'm kinda lukewarm on.

I actually like Siege's overall layout, but the distance between the ends of the map is enormous - I like a slower paced game occasionally, but it's often a slog to reach conflict points, and the map flow is just weird as hell around the B and A points.

Sovereign I can't really get a handle on. The entire control room area and both catwalks beside it are just a deathtrap, which leaves a limited space near the A/C dom points you can control safely.

I enjoy all the other maps to varying degrees, some play much better in certain modes than others. Looking forward to Hardpoint, still crossing fingers for Demolition.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I had some fun games last night, and I'm enjoying the maps a lot more than MW3, which is a huge relief to me. There's a few that I don't care for, but overall I like them. Even if I would have less entrances/exits.

The spawns though... I actually got my first spawn where I literally popped up on the guy's Killcam. Like, he's aiming down sights at an empty space, and I suddenly appear from thin air. I've had terrible spawns before, but that one takes the cake.

I'm interested in what maps people like and don't like. I primarily play TDM, SnR, and SnD.

I like:

Octane
Tremor
Freight
Siege
Warhawk
Prison Break
Stonehaven

Sometimes I like, sometimes not:
Flooded
Stormfront
Strikezone
Whiteout

I don't like:
Sovereign
Chasm

I'd switch Chasm and Tremor but otherwise we seem to have pretty similar taste in maps.

Glad I'm not the only one that likes Siege.

I was a big fan of the horde mode from MW3, but the changes they've made in Ghosts drive me nuts.

Instead of letting you purchase and upgrade weapons like in MW3, Safeguard just drops a bunch of crates randomly around the map. I keep seeing teammates who've already picked up a weapon upgrade (anything that isn't a pistol) snatching a crate before I can get there, leaving me with the measly little pistol until I'm overwhelmed by the third wave. Really, really frustrating.

Sovereign and Siege are the only two I'm kinda lukewarm on.

I actually like Siege's overall layout, but the distance between the ends of the map is enormous - I like a slower paced game occasionally, but it's often a slog to reach conflict points, and the map flow is just weird as hell around the B and A points.

Sovereign I can't really get a handle on. The entire control room area and both catwalks beside it are just a deathtrap, which leaves a limited space near the A/C dom points you can control safely.

I enjoy all the other maps to varying degrees, some play much better in certain modes than others. Looking forward to Hardpoint, still crossing fingers for Demolition.

I'd switch Chasm and Tremor but otherwise we seem to have pretty similar taste in maps.

Glad I'm not the only one that likes Siege.

I like Siege because it has a clear Side A and Side B. The two flanks on the sides make it clear where the action is going. It may take a while to find a confrontation, but I like the clarity. Its size obviously makes it a Ghosts map, but it's probably the closest to a three-lane traditional style than any other map.

Chasm is one that I just don't understand. It's very big, but I feel that I don't know how to play it. If I play long range, it feels like I'm always leaving my back completely vulnerable. If I try to get close or even mid-range, it feels like every single time I get a kill, I'm immediately shot in the back.

Chasm just has a million entrances/exits, so I get very confused how to tackle it. Anytime I reveal my position, even with a silencer, it feels like I'm instantly shot from the side/back. And if I try to be defensive, I can't secure any location due to the layout. Maybe I just suck at it. (Also, I don't like the location of the bomb in the stairwell for the Search modes.)

Sovereign is the other one I don't like. I totally agree with Victrix that some of the avenues to traverse the map just feel like killing fields. It feels like a coin flip if someone is watching those spots or not. And the visual design of the map doesn't give me the same feeling of other maps where I instantly know where I am, so I can protect myself.

Victrix

*beard*
I actually think Chasm is more of a three lane map than Siege or most of the others :D

Chasm is pretty easy once you realize the three lanes are subway (fairly safe), center (not at all safe) and ruined offices (risky).

Trick to surviving on there is to avoid moving through the center unless you're absolutely 100% certain your flanks are covered by teammates. Otherwise you only traverse the map A-C via the subway, or the non ruined side of the offices (preferably first floor).

The ruined side is more dangerous - the patio above C and the entire street below it are exposed to the offices as well as the area above B. They are all very dangerous and should be avoided if possible.

The ruined side closer to the A side is a bit safer, and should be used to approach B instead of walking straight at it - you're deadly exposed to the offices if you're in the B area.

The worst place to be is near B where there are something like six or seven or eight different crossways depending on how you count them.

The area around C itself actually isn't bad at all, as long as you're careful about what you're watching, you can mow people down easily. Watch out for the occasional person poking their head over the patio that can look down on you!

Same story at A actually, there's a lot of places you can hide out with your back covered and only a few frontal approaches to you, plus few people seem to use the underground pathway that leads to the subway there (good route to sneak either in or out of A to flank anyone camping there, and it lets you reach the ruined offices almost unseen).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I hate Siege, every game reaches the time limit.

I liked Sovereign at first because I could run around with a shotgun and kill people easily enough, but the majority of the players have stopped running around that map, and it's usually tough to run through the open parts without getting killed by someone above.

Chasm is okay if you can control the offices with a team, you absolutely need headphones here though.

I can't say I get real excited when any single map comes up other than Strikezone because I can run around with a Bulldog for a nice change of pace. Aside from Strikezone, I also like playing on Warhawk, and Octane. With those maps I feel like if I need to, I can lead my team to victory, the rest just depend on my mood, and what kind of team I have.

Game modes make a huge difference here.

Nobody goes to offices in SNR, Blitz, TDM, or Infected. Idk what the layout of that side of the map is and I have 175hrs played.

I actually think Chasm is more of a three lane map than Siege or most of the others :D

Okay, you're blowing my mind here. But I'll try to stay with you.

Chasm is pretty easy once you realize the three lanes are subway (fairly safe), center (not at all safe) and ruined offices (risky).

Trick to surviving on there is to avoid moving through the center unless you're absolutely 100% certain your flanks are covered by teammates. Otherwise you only traverse the map A-C via the subway, or the non ruined side of the offices (preferably first floor).

The ruined side is more dangerous - the patio above C and the entire street below it are exposed to the offices as well as the area above B. They are all very dangerous and should be avoided if possible.

The ruined side closer to the A side is a bit safer, and should be used to approach B instead of walking straight at it - you're deadly exposed to the offices if you're in the B area.

The worst place to be is near B where there are something like six or seven or eight different crossways depending on how you count them.

The area around C itself actually isn't bad at all, as long as you're careful about what you're watching, you can mow people down easily. Watch out for the occasional person poking their head over the patio that can look down on you!

Same story at A actually, there's a lot of places you can hide out with your back covered and only a few frontal approaches to you, plus few people seem to use the underground pathway that leads to the subway there (good route to sneak either in or out of A to flank anyone camping there, and it lets you reach the ruined offices almost unseen).

Thanks for the detailed advice. I'll definitely try this strategy out. I think I was looking at the map wrong.

Since I mostly play TDM and Search, I didn't really think about where the Dom spots are. Looking at the map again now, I always thought C and A were mostly camping spots way to the back of the map. But I can see now with your description that they might see a bit more traffic.

I think I saw the map more as two sides. Ruined office side and the rooftop/other building. And when I played like that, I felt like I always died in the ruined office or couldn't hold the rooftop.

It also felt that the two "sides" were so porous because of the catacombs that I was bound to get flanked. But if I see it how you're describing it more of three lanes versus Side A and Side B, I think that'll work a lot better. Much appreciated!

Beepos

Have they changed the ridiculous bullet damage yet to align it more to BLOPS? Or does every weapon still kill you in 2 bullets.

Victrix

*beard*
Have they changed the ridiculous bullet damage yet to align it more to BLOPS? Or does every weapon still kill you in 2 bullets.

The weapon damage is nearly the same as it's been in the last several games. The netcode just isn't utter shit so hits actually register :p

Beepos

The weapon damage is nearly the same as it's been in the last several games. The netcode just isn't utter shit so hits actually register :p

Playing on dedicated servers on the PC version of BLOPS that simply is not true. It's either higher damage or the matchmaking crap PC players have to endure now has caused it.

komaruR

I like "hunted" gamemode alot. Its starts off everyone in even ground where u all have the same class setup with pistol n no perk. You either go to weap crate for guns or just rock with your handgun.
You get 1gambler perk up to 3 for ea kill

SmokeMaxX

I like "hunted" gamemode alot. Its starts off everyone in even ground where u all have the same class setup with pistol n no perk. You either go to weap crate for guns or just rock with your handgun.
You get 1gambler perk up to 3 for ea kill
Yeah Hunted is my favorite. Peaked at like top 800 on XBL a few days ago. Now back to like top 1200. People don't like it because they're out of their comfort zone, but I think it helps determine who's the best jack of all trades type player.

gioGAF

Having a good time so far. As my map awareness gets better, I'm having better games. The spawns are a little wonky, but that is easily resolved by taking a second when you respawn to ascertain where you are and where an enemy might be (don't just respawn and run out blindly). Plus IW says they are working on them.

The weapons balance is great, I'm having a lot fun using a variety of them. One thing:

MSBS =/= MW2 Famas

People who are drawing this conclusion are delusional. As a long time burst rifle user, they are not even close. Don't get me wrong, the MSBS is beastly, but people need to leave hyperbole out of these discussions (MSBS is 2-5 bullets to kill, MW2 Famas SP was 2-3 bullets to kill, muzzle brake extends the range before damage drops off, it DOES NOT raise the minimum damage). I really hope IW doesn't pull a Treyarch and nerf things left and right because of whiners.

Deathstreaks are GONE, I'm so happy about that, it was my biggest annoyance from the MW games. Killstreaks are weaker in this game as well, I'm still trying to figure out how to make better use of some of them (stupid Trinity Rocket!).

All in all, I am very happy with this game and hope that IW continues to improve it. The online performance has been great. I raged a lot more on previous games, now most of the time I still rage but at least I don't feel like I got robbed by lag.

I'm on PS4 by the way.

Top Bottom