• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty WW2 reveal 26 april, website up [UPDATE: Leaked screenshots]

Yarbskoo

Always fascinating to see WW2 pictures in color.

xtJdMcn.jpg

04YVAlt.jpg

Still looks less brown than most WW2 games.

I just hope Treyarch's next game is the legitimate Black Ops 3 campaign.

When it's time for the next Treyarch game, i'd really like a site to try to get an honest sit down with them about what the fuck happened with BO3's campaign. BO and BO2 were so damn good in that area. And then comes BO3. It's a campaign so bad that it made me appreciate the campaign in Ghosts. At least it felt like a CoD campaign even though it was heavily flaws in some areas.

When it's time for the next Treyarch game, i'd really like a site to try to get an honest sit down with them about what the fuck happened with BO3's campaign. BO and BO2 were so damn good in that area. And then comes BO3. It's a campaign so bad that it made me appreciate the campaign in Ghosts. At least it felt like a CoD campaign even though it was heavily flaws in some areas.

Yup

Chumley

Banned

Yeah, BO3 has the worst campaign by a substantial margin. Absolute shit.

Honestly could be another game starring David Mason & Karma or start with David Mason's kid and flashback to David for a plot connection like BO2 did with his father.
And obviously throw in a Reznov hint or 2.

Please no.

An original storyline akin to "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band Of Brothers" please, Sledgehammer Games.

I have no doubt the campaign will be amazing. MP....Not so much. It'll be plagued with supply drops besides I realized that after playing CoD 4 Remastered the slower paced CoDs don't do it for me anymore. I'll proudly stick with Black Ops 3 till Treyarchs next serving.

Black ops 3 looked so bad I never even bothered renting. The only campaign to date, beside Cod1, that I haven't beat. Such a shame.

Both of those games are pretty bad though if memory serves me right.

Especially PA. What a letdown after the brilliant Allied Assault.

PA was decent. RS was the one that sucked ass.

Personally, I'd love to see new pacific theater fps. There was Rising Storm, which was a great game but it was multiplayer only.

pa22word

PA was decent. RS was the one that sucked ass.

Personally, I'd love to see new pacific theater fps. There was Rising Storm, which was a great game but it was multiplayer only.

Ah, you're probably right. All the WW2 games from that era kind of run together, lol.

I remember both games being disappointing, but I probably thought PA was more so because I liked AA so much. I don't really remember anything about RS other than I didn't like it, ha.

M.W.

I have no doubt the campaign will be amazing. MP....Not so much. It'll be plagued with supply drops besides I realized that after playing CoD 4 Remastered the slower paced CoDs don't do it for me anymore. I'll proudly stick with Black Ops 3 till Treyarchs next serving.

I am the opposite. I have no doubt the SP will suck, like most COD games. The MP could be good, could be awful. The reveal in 3 days won't answer anything.

nomis

Exactly. That's why I'm so upset about it. If you're going to make a cliffhanger then freaking either follow up on it or release a conclusion on DLC.

But nope. All we know is that the main hero is gonna have a hard time.

If I can deal with HL2:E2 having an unresolved cliffhanger, we can clearly live the rest of our lives without ever needing to know what happened to RORKE and LOGAN

Let alone the fact that one more Ghosts campaign from Infinity Ward is one less Infinite Warfare sequel. I think the namesake and the fact that they placed IW in chronology with the MW series shows that they knew Ghosts was a dud and needed another crack at a "signature" brand for the studio

Black ops 3 looked so bad I never even bothered renting. The only campaign to date, beside Cod1, that I haven't beat. Such a shame.

It's so bad that I wouldn't even recommend it for the sake of curiosity. It really feels like a CoD campaign designed for people that don't like CoD campaigns. The rollercoaster nature of the series is completely stripped out in favor of making it very co-op friendly. So in place of your set pieces you instead have moments where you've got to complete the same objective (hold a point or plant some type of bomb) in multiple areas in order to get to the next sequence. I played it in single player, so that may actually be enjoyable in co-op, but it sure as hell isn't when you're playing it like a standard CoD campaign.

Both of those games are pretty bad though if memory serves me right.

Especially PA. What a letdown after the brilliant Allied Assault.

Pacific Assault was decent - I remember you had to have a beast of a PC to run it at ultra settings. Rising Sun was garbage - it was like a lower-grade version of Pacific Assault [even though Rising Sun released first lol].

Sony

Nintendo
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault will forever be engraved in my memory as my golden era of playing video games back when I was still a PC gamer. Met friendly people online, had great fun with the community and the game itself was a blast.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Shocking in what way?

I don't know about future stuff, but the vast majority of the Call of Duty audience enjoys the modern setting.

Maybe it was the total lack of aesthetic evolution, but I remember being pretty done with the modern setting when the trailers for MW3 were rolling out. Then again, I was still enjoying Battlefield 3 and 4 years later, so maybe it was more of a Call of Duty specific problem.

It's so bad that I wouldn't even recommend it for the sake of curiosity. It really feels like a CoD campaign designed for people that don't like CoD campaigns. The rollercoaster nature of the series is completely stripped out in favor of making it very co-op friendly. So in place of your set pieces you instead have moments where you've got to complete the same objective (hold a point or plant some type of bomb) in multiple areas in order to get to the next sequence. I played it in single player, so that may actually be enjoyable in co-op, but it sure as hell isn't when you're playing it like a standard CoD campaign.

Yeah, honestly I think the best way to do co-op campaigns in the future is to just "tack it on" to a single-player designed campaign, like was done in World at War. Make players share the main character's perspective during those cinematic in-game cutscenes if need be. Restrict it to two players if need be. Don't water down the encounter and objective design.

Hip Hop

They need to do a CSGO / Rainbow Six theme next.

blows my mind that they haven't done so.

it would be perfect for COD

Fox Mulder

I haven't given a shit about cod in years, but I'm down for a current gen retake of Normandy and other awesome ww2 set pieces.

And scorpio.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault will forever be engraved in my memory as my golden era of playing video games back when I was still a PC gamer. Met friendly people online, had great fun with the community and the game itself was a blast.

Agreed.

The WWII Call Of Duty games hold a special place in my gaming history - but Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault is the best of the best.

The atmosphere alone coupled with the soundtrack - that almost doubles as atmosphere itself - just sells the game. I remember seeing documentaries about how they recorded the actual WWII weapon sounds, so everything was authentic even down to the shell casing sounds.

The level choices were also sublime - it was either overcast most of the time, or raining and it just really had such an overbearing Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers vibe that I couldn't help but fall in love with it.

Here's hoping Sledgehammer Games can recapture at least some of that magic and atmosphere in Call of Duty: WWII.

LoonyEd

Neo Member
This.

I couldn't be less excited to go back to ww2

I feel like they have overplayed their cards at this point. I am tired of the ridiculousness of their future war settings we have had to endure (wall running has to go) and I've played soooooooo many WWII games that I'll never go back to those. This even mentions d-day and Normandy in the description.

No disrespect to the real people who fought these horrible conflicts of course, It is not a subject to be taken lightly, but these are games we are talking about right, shouldn't they be fun more over than anything else? I really don'r care if it would have taken an extra 3 seconds to load that gun in real life because the clip expands when un humid environments and btw you are scaring us all with that kind of talk. :)

All kidding aside how about something just for fun or if we have to go accurate do another war that has either been rarely done or maybe different battles. I refuse to storm the beach of Normandy in one more freaking game. I feel like I've been desensitized to how awful it was simply because of the fact that if WWII is the setting you can pretty much guarantee the will be a D-day level.

So do I have an answer? Nope not at all I'm just saying the formula needs to be shaken up a bit. We need some innovators and fresh ideas to revitalize this genre or IMHO I think they should take a lot longer than just a year off from these games. They have enough money, take a bit of a risk here and there or how about a completely off the wall story idea. Take your cues from Guerilla Games and what they did with Horizon Zero Dawn, sure they borrowed some elements of assassins creed and tomb raider but in whole that game is a breath of fresh air in an environment that is stagnating. How bout this..... take a few years off and develop something new, Take a chance, you've been milking us dry with FPS based during war time since I can remember. Or if you have to (just absolutely have to) make another boots on the ground FPS use something other than WW1 or WWII. Tell a tale about a fictional story based on an event that happened like Cuban Missile Crisis The redacted missions, or the story they never told you. You see sometimes the story is more important then what kind of skins you can attach to your characters and guns. Even a tastefully done (as much as possible) Vietnam War that shows you the real futility of war and how your side doesn't always win because that's real life. Again this is only if you won't risk doing something completely different and take your time making it. Go nuts make something we would never see coming there are plenty of new ideas out there to be had so just stop turning on the call of duty video game clone machine that has one dial with 2 settings on it., WWII or Future Wars. You guys need a new machine because this is getting really old. Oh look youre idea generator is blinking. Yep I thought so its caught in a feedback loop. Try turning it off and on again. You should be golden after that....

Rant Over ( i swear this was going to be around 3 sentences long when I started)

I feel like they have overplayed their cards at this point. I am tired of the ridiculousness of their future war settings we have had to endure (wall running has to go) and I've played soooooooo many WWII games that I'll never go back to those. This even mentions d-day and Normandy in the description.

No disrespect to the real people who fought these horrible conflicts of course, It is not a subject to be taken lightly, but these are games we are talking about right, shouldn't they be fun more over than anything else? I really don'r care if it would have taken an extra 3 seconds to load that gun in real life because the clip expands when un humid environments and btw you are scaring us all with that kind of talk. :)

All kidding aside how about something just for fun or if we have to go accurate do another war that has either been rarely done or maybe different battles. I refuse to storm the beach of Normandy in one more freaking game. I feel like I've been desensitized to how awful it was simply because of the fact that if WWII is the setting you can pretty much guarantee the will be a D-day level.

So do I have an answer? Nope not at all I'm just saying the formula needs to be shaken up a bit. We need some innovators and fresh ideas to revitalize this genre or IMHO I think they should take a lot longer than just a year off from these games. They have enough money, take a bit of a risk here and there or how about a completely off the wall story idea. Take your cues from Guerilla Games and what they did with Horizon Zero Dawn, sure they borrowed some elements of assassins creed and tomb raider but in whole that game is a breath of fresh air in an environment that is stagnating. How bout this..... take a few years off and develop something new, Take a chance, you've been milking us dry with FPS based during war time since I can remember. Or if you have to (just absolutely have to) make another boots on the ground FPS use something other than WW1 or WWII. Tell a tale about a fictional story based on an event that happened like Cuban Missile Crisis The redacted missions, or the story they never told you. You see sometimes the story is more important then what kind of skins you can attach to your characters and guns. Even a tastefully done (as much as possible) Vietnam War that shows you the real futility of war and how your side doesn't always win because that's real life. Again this is only if you won't risk doing something completely different and take your time making it. Go nuts make something we would never see coming there are plenty of new ideas out there to be had so just stop turning on the call of duty video game clone machine that has one dial with 2 settings on it., WWII or Future Wars. You guys need a new machine because this is getting really old. Oh look youre idea generator is blinking. Yep I thought so its caught in a feedback loop. Try turning it off and on again. You should be golden after that....

Rant Over ( i swear this was going to be around 3 sentences long when I started)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

WWII is the ultimate setting for any kind of war/action/adventure/FPS game.

First of all, it actually happened and second, it's just an absolutely atmospheric, blissful and rewarding experience to participate in, partly because it not only radically changed our history, but thanks to the interactive medium of video games - we get to partake in a little bit of the lore and storied history of it; to feel as though we were really there, fighting to help make a difference - even if it's just in the virtual sense.

Just my 2 cents.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

WWII is the ultimate setting for any kind of war/action/adventure/FPS game.

First of all, it actually happened and second, it's just an absolutely atmospheric, blissful experience to partake in, partly because it radically changed our history and also thanks to the interactive medium of video games, we get to partake in a little bit of it; to feel as though we were really there to help make a difference - even if it's just in the virtual sense.

Just my 2 cents.

thinking-face.png

lol, I'm all in for games about real historic events but I'll have to wait and see how this turns out, I'm interested to see if they go the super realistic & true story route or the Michael Bay route.

Btw, when I mentioned "blissful", I was referring to the fact that taking part in something as historic as WWII in the capacity of the Allies that fought for nothing but good; is in itself rewarding and leaves you with a pleasant, happy feeling.

Stiler

Medal of Honor: AA was great, one of the best fps games imo.

The thing that made it fun to play was one of the reasons why Goldeneye was so much fun, good gunplay.

The way enemies reacted to getting hit in different areas, it didn't take a half a mag to down someone and they didn't just fall like paper or other things like you see in even modern games.

The only recent fps game that attempted good reactions to combat was Mafia III.

d4fF4YW.gif

Enemies reacted to where you hit them and didn't always die when they were down either, it made great use of physics with animation blending as well.

Something that I would hope Call of Duty would learn from (but probably won't, probably just the same usual cod style animatoins).

Btw, when I mentioned "blissful", I was referring to the fact that taking part in something as historic as WWII in the capacity of the Allies that fought for nothing but good; is in itself rewarding and leaves you with a pleasant, happy feeling.

😉 I thought so, but it was just a perfect opportunity to take it out of context. 😂

The thing that made it fun to play was one of the reasons why Goldeneye was so much fun, good gunplay.

The way enemies reacted to getting hit in different areas, it didn't take a half a mag to down someone and they didn't just fall like paper or other things like you see in even modern games.

d4fF4YW.gif

Enemies reacted to where you hit them and didn't always die when they were down either, it made great use of physics with animation blending as well.

Something that I would hope Call of Duty would learn from (but probably won't, probably just the same usual cod style animatoins).

With an "M" rating, I hope that Sledgehammer Games makes good use of it to display the visceral, brutal nature of true combat.

War isn't fun - video games give us all a sense of having fun while playing war games - but actual war is anything but.

The more violence and gore shown to the viewer during a war film or game should actually deter them from remotely seeking to ever commit a violent act.

That was Steven Spielberg's message in Saving Private Ryan. The opening scene is around 28 minutes in length; there is no soundtrack to accompany the on-screen action - just visceral violence and gore, accompanied by the actual sounds of the weapons of the era, the waves crashing on the shore, the shouts and orders issued from the many brave soldiers to their comrades - as well as their screams in agony to depict the actual horrors of war. Hacksaw Ridge, directed by Mel Gibson does a very similar thing for it's third act, in showing you with unbelievable amounts of blood and gore, the true horrors of war.

In a real war, there are no do-overs, there are no health packs that will regrow a limb and there certainly is no coming back from death to grab a rifle and fight again.

I just hope that Sledgehammer Games will utilize their 2 1/2 years of World War II research to harness everything I just mentioned into Call of Duty: WWII.

pa22word

d4fF4YW.gif

Mafia 3 is the only game I've ever played other than maybe Arma that properly simulated what it actually feels like to fire a rifle. I used the rifle so much in that game simply for that reason.

Warablo

I really dont think this will have any staying power. Sure it will be fun to play the levels a couple of times, but modern or future has so many more options.

Bf 4 and Rainbowsix are the best military shooters currently. Bf 1 is dying quicker than usual.

MilkyJoe

I really dont think this will have any staying power. Sure it will be fun to play the levels a couple of times, but modern or future has so many more options.

Bf 4 and Rainbowsix are the best military shooters currently. Bf 1 is dying quicker than usual.

I've played CoD 1 and 2 through numerous times, recently rebought them for xbox. The modern ones, I've not even completed. CoD will always be WW2 for me.

Hux1ey

Banned
Yeah I remember in CoD 2 the intro mission was playing Russian soldiers, throwing potatoes to teach you to throw grenades lol.

But I'm totally down for a Saving Private Ryan French countryside setting. It's been almost 10 years since the last WW2 game I've played.

I love the one in the first CoD, where you only given an ammo clip to hold like Enemy At The Gates.

I've played CoD 1 and 2 through numerous times, recently rebought them for xbox. The modern ones, I've not even completed. CoD will always be WW2 for me.

You should play United Offensive if you love CoD1 and 2, you'll like it very much.

Top Bottom