• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter - The DAOC Successor from Mark Jacobs [Complete, $2.2M]

Hopefully the dedicated crafter class will be a major role in RvR. I like crafting just fine, but construction in the field really seems like something that'll set CU and it's crafting apart. They're gonna have to figure out some way to make a raid need more than just 1 or 2 crafters per.

As for the gear-crafting part of crafting, I obviously don't know how it's going to work exactly, but as long as the economy is based entirely on crafters' output, it should be easy to make crafting feeling like a substantial and important part of the game.

It sounds like the crafter class will be making the GOOD siege weapons, other classes can make shitty ones or something, and im sure the crafters will do stuff like DAoC where they can upgrade doors, and shit.

And I think for weapons and armour, the crafters will always be able to make the best stuff. which is how it should be.

BrettWeir

It sounds like the crafter class will be making the GOOD siege weapons, other classes can make shitty ones or something, and im sure the crafters will do stuff like DAoC where they can upgrade doors, and shit.

And I think for weapons and armour, the crafters will always be able to make the best stuff. which is how it should be.

I'm interested to see how mats will be obtained. Drops? Exchange RP's or gold for them? Creating player made farms?

Happy to see that it's broken $980k.

**Edit....

Oh hell! WTB Oculus Rift support for CU!!!!!

I'm interested to see how mats will be obtained. Drops? Exchange RP's or gold for them? Creating player made farms?

Happy to see that it's broken $980k.

**Edit....

Oh hell! WTB Oculus Rift support for CU!!!!!

Yeah, good question. Its probably a big mix of everything, RPs, just buying them in captured enemy keeps/relics areas, probably something like DF as well and then RPs as well, maybe salvage off of kills too.

Burt

Yeah I still can't believe they haven't given more details about the general design of their crafting system yet. They should at least let people know the different disciplines and whether or not there will be mobs in the game to kill for resources like leather. I know they've said no pve but they haven't said whether that means no quests and raids or no mobs at all. We've gone a few days without an update as they wait to crack 1 million and it's just been wasted time that should be being used to clarify the questions that people have been asking from day 1 to help people on the edge of donating to decide. I realuze nothing is set in stone but they should at least let us in on their overarching goals in regards to crafting, construction, housing, the world, etc.

BrettWeir

Yeah, good question. Its probably a big mix of everything, RPs, just buying them in captured enemy keeps/relics areas, probably something like DF as well and then RPs as well, maybe salvage off of kills too.

Emerald, Sapphire, and Diamond seals is exactly what I thought of as well. God I miss that place.

Yeah I still can't believe they haven't given more details about the general design of their crafting system yet. They should at least let people know the different disciplines and whether or not there will be mobs in the game to kill for resources like leather. I know they've said no pve but they haven't said whether that means no quests and raids or no mobs at all. We've gone a few days without an update as they wait to crack 1 million and it's just been wasted time that should be being used to clarify the questions that people have been asking from day 1 to help people on the edge of donating to decide. I realuze nothing is set in stone but they should at least let us in on their overarching goals in regards to crafting, construction, housing, the world, etc.

I know MJ did a lot of interviews yesterday which hopefully brought in some more backers. But they definitely need to make something to help boost backers by giving more information.

I'm fine with whatever media/interviews/updates etc they have given, as I've already pledged, and would even if they released no more media at all. I'm that desperate for an RvR game that can hopefully come close to what DAoC was.

As for mobs, they have said dragons. But are they in the game, or did they just shape the world? What is the story behind them? Hell, maybe they will be used against realms that are way overpopulated/have relics. Random dragon spawns will start to invade/destroy their structures etc? Would be interesting.

Hopefully it hits $1M today. $8k and some change away.

OOOOOH! Less than $5k now! Come on someone! Become a "My Inn, My Way" or a "Dragonwhale" backer!

**Edit, errr....wow, the "No Man Is An Island But I Own One" are all gone!

**Edit 2
I'm kind of surprised they are keeping the option to buy Founder's Points after release. Hopefully this will reduce the cost of the monthly sub (for those that have to pay it :p )

**Edit 3. I just posted this on Reddit. Your thoughts?

I'm a sucker for punishment, so I'm constantly refreshing the Kickstarter page. Should CSE change some of the reward items for the levels nobody seems interested in (10 or less)? I know it can't be changed on the Kickstarter page itself, but somehow communications could be made (any and all social media)

List:
$1200 - Guildmaster Special - 0 backers
$1000 - Name Your Poison - 5 backers
$600 - Guild of the Veil - 6 backers
$450 - Sign Right Here
$450 - Physical Phat Loot Forever - 9 backers

Those are obviously the ones with 10 or less. But what about changes to others that just aren't pulling in backers? For example, comparing the two $250 levels.
Warrior Forever - 675 backers while the
Physical Phat Lewt - is sitting at only 48.
That's quite a discrepancy.

New update at least answers a question about some of the materials:

'6) Will there be no PvE in the game at all? No NPCs, really?

There will be NPCs of course (as I’ve stated before) since towns need citizens, structures need guards, crafters need leather, etc. The world won’t be empty but NPCs will not be dropping tokens, items, etc. However, you will be able to scavenge/skin/etc. materials from them of course but again, not items, tokens, etc. There is also a difference between PvE-NPCs (cows) and RvR-NPCs (guards, human or otherwise) but no item or token drops. I also promise that there will not be PvE expansions with new tiers of gear drops that become required to complete. This game is a RvR-focused MMORPG and will remain such. '

BrettWeir

There will be NPCs of course (as I’ve stated before) since towns need citizens, structures need guards, crafters need leather, etc. The world won’t be empty but NPCs will not be dropping tokens, items, etc. However, you will be able to scavenge/skin/etc. materials from them of course but again, not items, tokens, etc. There is also a difference between PvE-NPCs (cows) and RvR-NPCs (guards, human or otherwise) but no item or token drops. I also promise that there will not be PvE expansions with new tiers of gear drops that become required to complete. This game is a RvR-focused MMORPG and will remain such. '

Was just about to come post this. If he sticks to his word, THANK GOD FOR NO DAMN TOA type of expansion!!!!!!

So much for the whole Darkness Falls seals theory! LOVE the update!

Was just about to come post this. If he sticks to his word, THANK GOD FOR NO DAMN TOA type of expansion!!!!!!

So much for the whole Darkness Falls seals theory! LOVE the update!

I wouldnt count out DF seals, im sure he knows how much people loved DF, there is no reason to not have different materials coming from different places.

BrettWeir

I wouldnt count out DF seals, im sure he knows how much people loved DF, there is no reason to not have different materials coming from different places.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? "The world won’t be empty but NPCs will not be dropping tokens, items, etc."

Burt

tumblr_lyqz5acgf31qdgnwm.gif

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? "The world won’t be empty but NPCs will not be dropping tokens, items, etc."

Sure sorry. I must have glossed over that!

Maybe there wont be a DF then, now that I think about it, no point at all then, unless its just filled with mining spots.

BrettWeir

Sure sorry. I must have glossed over that!

Maybe there wont be a DF then, now that I think about it, no point at all then, unless its just filled with mining spots.

This would make me sad. Best dungeon ever!

**Edit

$1 million mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds great. So the world will not be a giant ghost town. NPCs will inhabit the land and creatures will need to be farmed for crafting mats.

I have been bouncing back and forth on whether or not to back this since it went up but I think I am about ready to just bite the bullet on the 110 tier, ended up finding out that a bunch of people I knew from back on Lancelot / my old guild Lost Vikings in DAoC are going to be playing this and I wouldn't miss reliving those days for anything.

I am still a little worried about the pvp only focus as it is going to be really hard to get a rvr only mmo to work and having some pve content to fall back on in DAoC was really helpful when balance issues / zerging / whatever else got really frustrating. We will see how it ends up though.

Burt

Updated and pruned the OP a little bit. I'm not much of a proofreader and pretty prone to adding in new mistakes whenever I move stuff around, so if you see any mistakes, let me know.

Edit: By the way, what the fuck is all this duck shit going on in the comments section on the Kickstarter? I find it pretty weird.

Updated and pruned the OP a little bit. I'm not much of a proofreader and pretty prone to adding in new mistakes whenever I move stuff around, so if you see any mistakes, let me know.

Edit: By the way, what the fuck is all this duck shit going on in the comments section on the Kickstarter? I find it pretty weird.

No clue! its weird as hell though!

BrettWeir

Is it in regards to all the ducks Mark has behind him during the videos? Iunno....

Can't wait to see update 13!

Burt

Yeah, looks like a really good start.

500 is a massive amount of people.

Imagine the shitstorm it's going to be with all the skill effects. If there's one thing I hope they get right, it's skill effects. Really, the only thing I didn't like about WAR's visuals was that a lot of the effects were/are hideous, especially when they got lumped together in a group fight. Something that WoW always excelled at (at least when I played) was that the effects really hit the perfect balance between simple, appealing, chaotic, and fast. It's something CU is going to have to do as well if it doesn't want to turn it's sieges into clusterfucks.

New video with 1000 people.

As someone who played on a relatively small server, 1000 people at once sounds fucking ridiculous.

I think we maybe had 300 people on a relic run once, and we were the Albs so the forces Mid and Hib were bringing were definitely smaller.

BrettWeir

New video with 1000 people.

As someone who played on a relatively small server, 1000 people at once sounds fucking ridiculous.

I think we maybe had 300 people on a relic run once, and we were the Albs so the forces Mid and Hib were bringing were definitely smaller.

Yeah, 1000 is ridiculous. If there ever were a scenario like that, how in the world would you be able to tell what in the world you were doing? Haha.

Great tech demo. I can't wait to see effects put into that mess. Hrm.....For some reason, I just thought of Team Wizzy. God....imagine all the ice PBAoE in that many people lol.

Yeah, 1000 is ridiculous. If there ever were a scenario like that, how in the world would you be able to tell what in the world you were doing? Haha.

Great tech demo. I can't wait to see effects put into that mess. Hrm.....For some reason, I just thought of Team Wizzy. God....imagine all the ice PBAoE in that many people lol.

/stick /spam amythyst slash!

it solves everything.

LOL. Good for melee! Not so good for casters and healers!

Although, that much crowding is a Matter specced Cabalists dream. /Disease, /AoE DoT, /repeat on new target

Welcome aboard!!

Pfft, AoE Mez and then PBAoE bomb all day! get some BT going and healer focus the wizard and your good. :p

Fuck I wanna play DAoC again....

BrettWeir

Pfft, AoE Mez and then PBAoE bomb all day! get some BT going and healer focus the wizard and your good. :p

Fuck I wanna play DAoC again....

I said that 4 (well, 5 now) posts above! :p

I would want to play DAoC again....if there were still Classic servers. Seriously, SCREW ToA. To me, the best part about the $10k tier is visiting the studio and getting to throw a pie at Mark, screaming AOT DEKCUS!!!

They got that right!

**Edit, I meant the Amy slash thing. Hard for casters and healers to use Amy slash :)

Burt

I would want to play DAoC again....if there were still Classic servers. Seriously, SCREW ToA. To me, the best part about the $10k tier is visiting the studio and getting to throw a pie at Mark, screaming AOT DEKCUS!!!

They got that right!

**Edit, I meant the Amy slash thing. Hard for casters and healers to use Amy slash :)
I was late to the DAOC bandwagon and it's seriously one of my biggest gaming regrets. There was a fair amount of people still playing when I tried it out, but it was just too much, going in alone and not being leveled, having no knowledge of the systems, not really understanding the expansions, (ashamed to say) having a hard time stepping back to the older visuals when I didn't have any attachment to the game, etc. Always gonna think of that missed opportunity.

They got that right!

Haha, I know, which is why I suggest they all just PBAoE bomb and focus the heals on the Wizard.

Its hard to go back to DAoC now though, it just doesnt play anything like a modern game, you get used to certain things after years of WoW/Lotro/Rift/Conan/GW2 that going back to DAoC is pretty hard. Your character just doesnt move right...its weird.

codecow

It's good to see them showing a demo that is more realistic in terms of the actual physical requirements.

Depending on how (if) they implemented state caching for the material system that would also make a big difference (downwards).

Good to see, if they can pull off a convincing battle of > 100 people which are that close together it will be great.

BrettWeir

I was late to the DAOC bandwagon and it's seriously one of my biggest gaming regrets. There was a fair amount of people still playing when I tried it out, but it was just too much, going in alone and not being leveled, having no knowledge of the systems, not really understanding the expansions, (ashamed to say) having a hard time stepping back to the older visuals when I didn't have any attachment to the game, etc. Always gonna think of that missed opportunity.

Ugh. I honestly feel bad for people that missed DAoC in its golden age. I mean, all I can seem to remember being out at that time was EverQuest, Asheron's Call, and (I believe) Ultima. RvR was nothing short of stunning (no pun intended, Midgard!!!)

Haha, I know, which is why I suggest they all just PBAoE bomb and focus the heals on the Wizard.

Its hard to go back to DAoC now though, it just doesnt play anything like a modern game, you get used to certain things after years of WoW/Lotro/Rift/Conan/GW2 that going back to DAoC is pretty hard. Your character just doesnt move right...its weird.

Haha. I know what you mean. Any time I would flute mez on my Minstrel, it was like ice skating. Playing my drum was just about as comical. But my god.....I miss that Minstrel. Most fun class I have ever played in any MMO.

It's good to see them showing a demo that is more realistic in terms of the actual physical requirements.

Depending on how (if) they implemented state caching for the material system that would also make a big difference (downwards).

Good to see, if they can pull off a convincing battle of > 100 people which are that close together it will be great.

Can't wait to see more out of it. With what they have done in only a few days, I have high hopes.

I hope their engine handles large amounts of people.

Relic raids were usually a lagfest, the side who didn't lose a lot of players due to LD usually won.

I guess Mark really wants to avoid a ToA disaster to pretty much eliminate PvE lol.

BrettWeir

I hope their engine handles large amounts of people.

Relic raids were usually a lagfest, the side who didn't lose a lot of players due to LD usually won.

I guess Mark really wants to avoid a ToA disaster to pretty much eliminate PvE lol.

Did you see the tech demo with 1000 models on the screen?

Hrm.....

Oh, I almost forgot, a warning, "Here, every true son & daughter perishes".

Tomorrow will be an interesting day. ~ Mark Jacobs

Waiting to hear what this is all about......

BrettWeir

DARKNESS FALLS v2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit does this sound amazing!!!!! BEST....UPDATE....YET!!!!!!

Traps built by crafters?! Showtimes?!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

I can't control myself with the exclamation points!!!!

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
First time seeing that this is a thing, but DAoC is probably my favourite game of all time(or at least an 6-month segment of my time playing it was). I loved rolling around with a single group and fighting other skilled groups, or just mowing through the zerg, taking out 2-3 times our numbers. Stealther wars at the mile gates with my solo merc. I just loved every aspect of that game. Having said that, I have absolutely no faith that the dude that helmed the studio when they gave us New Frontiers can recapture an ounce of that magic.

Burt

That. That is how you do a Kickstarter update. The Depths sound literally like the greatest thing ever conceived for an MMO. Wow. Gonna work a new Depths section into the OP.

Jesus, I feel like the Depths announcement deserves its own thread it was so awesome.

BrettWeir

First time seeing that this is a thing, but DAoC is probably my favourite game of all time(or at least an 6-month segment of my time playing it was). I loved rolling around with a single group and fighting other skilled groups, or just mowing through the zerg, taking out 2-3 times our numbers. Stealther wars at the mile gates with my solo merc. I just loved every aspect of that game. Having said that, I have absolutely no faith that the dude that helmed the studio when they gave us New Frontiers can recapture an ounce of that magic.

I honestly think he has learned his lesson. He knows ToA sucked. He knows Warhammer sucked. I honestly think with this, he is out to right a few wrongs. I'd much rather back it and HOPE it actually happens, than not have it make its goal and never come to fruition.

After all....what else out there has even touched on the type of RvR DAoC had? Nothing. And besides this project, I highly doubt we ever will again.

/glass half empty.

That. That is how you do a Kickstarter update. The Depths sound literally like the greatest thing ever conceived for an MMO. Wow. Gonna work a new Depths section into the OP.

Jesus, I feel like the Depths announcement deserves its own thread it was so awesome.

Because of how amazing this update was, I immediately upped my pledge from $250 to $350 tier. I HAD to!

Cipherr

Darkness Falls is one of the best things to ever happen in gaming.

The risk and reward were so well done. I wasn't even really in to PvP outside of the Frontiers, but I still PvE'd in DF because of its great rewards. And I would be paranoid with every single mob pull I made.

Constantly watching my back and making sure to never get TOO low on mana, in case a fight broke out.

Ohhh man... so intense.

I've been clamoring for an RvR based MMO since WAR didn't deliver (and I've played DAoC), but I just don't see myself playing a subscription based MMO anymore. I also don't have faith a sub based MMO will survive.

BrettWeir

Darkness Falls is one of the best things to ever happen in gaming.

Hard to argue with that!!!

The risk and reward were so well done. I wasn't even really in to PvP outside of the Frontiers, but I still PvE'd in DF because of its great rewards. And I would be paranoid with every single mob pull I made.

Constantly watching my back and making sure to never get TOO low on mana, in case a fight broke out.

Ohhh man... so intense.

It was genius. Gave more reason to control keeps in the Frontiers than just relic defenses. Not only was DF good for loot, but it was an amazing resource for the market with Diamond Seals.

Used to love going in there and see how long I could last on my Inf. Raked in SOOO many RP's in that place until the Inf got boring.

I've been clamoring for an RvR based MMO since WAR didn't deliver (and I've played DAoC), but I just don't see myself playing a subscription based MMO anymore. I also don't have faith a sub based MMO will survive.

Easily remedied by pledging $250!!!! :p

Do you think it would be beneficial to release some sort of statement regarding a "ballpark" monthly cost? I'm hoping that since the Founder's Exchange will remain open, and able to buy Founder's Points after launch, this would put the monthly sub on a lower level than the standard $12.95 - $14.95 model.

Heck, people are STILL paying $14.95/mo for DAoC! Crazy!

Burt

CU will easily survive on the back of its fans. The campaign has the highest average pledge of any gaming Kickstarter, and that kind of dedication is definitely going to carry over when the game goes live. The fact that they're designing it as they're well aware of the fact that they'll be working with a smaller but more dedicated fanbase should be a great help too, in terms of keeping the game alive.

Regardless, $25 gets you the game and a month of playtime. That's a pretty hard deal to beat for the potential upside.

Top Bottom