• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Naughty Dog's Factions succeed where Rocksteady's Suicide Squad is failing?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Come back to us guardian…. You’re needed….
Destiny 2 Pose GIF by DestinyTheGame

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Naughty Dog graphics and attention to detail without slow walk and chats and cutscenes sounds good to me. I loved The Division.

The difference is ND is also still working on single player games, if Factions somehow fails or peters out the next big single player game is two years away at best.

There is no way we get another Rocksteady game this generation. Arkham is dead.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Realistic? The datamining showed a jetpack my dude.

Could have been something they were testing out, not in the final game.

When you look at these, it screams realism, and grounded.

Flo3L55XEAA6odu

I doubt they will tarnish the world of TLOU 2 with jetpacks and shit.

Meh.. Sony should focus on what it does best, what brings millions of dollars and keep fans happy.
They shouldn't try to please completely different kind of fanbases. Two or three exceptions is fine, but that's it.

Disagree. And Knight plot/narrative was WAY above average anyway.

Rocksteady was a God Tier studio. In some regards my absolute favorite.
What happened to them is a disgrace.

I agree that they should focus on their single-player games...but the budget required to produce titles of the WWS caliber has skyrocketed, meaning that Sony needs some lucrative gaas avenues, aside from the Bungie projects, to keep a steady flow of money in-between heavy hitters; and to get those two/three avenues, Sony needs to make several attempts, as most of them will probably fail to attract a large enough audiance. Hence why they have been investing massively in the multiplayer initiative.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What is with all these strange threads?

Suicide Squad and TLOU Factions are completely unrelated.

People love to make comparisons between completely unrelated titles.

People are VERY concerned dontcha know. I also love the "Suicide Squad is failing. . ." bit. Like really? A game OP hasn't played and that isn't even out yet is doing worse than a game that hasn't even been shown or given a release date.

Woggleman

I would rather they do more SP games but with TLOU2 gameplay and mechanics it has a chance to really be great. Factions from the first game did very well so I no reason why this one wouldn't. That being said they should strike while the iron is hot with the show.

Pelta88

What?

Factions is an online first/third person multi shooter. Squad is in a different genre entirely. What makes me more confused is that one is a multiplat, confirmed on several different platforms and the other is expected to compete? Too many false equivalencies to make a comparison.

Bartski

Gold Member
I see what you mean with storytelling in coop. I'd really love to see someone finally pull it off, but I think it comes down to playing with the right people, who want to experience the story at the same pace.
Ghost of Tsushima Legends has matchmaking filters to set your attitude towards optional extra challenges, for example, I see that could be expanded upon to work for the story.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Full Disclaimer: I am a recovering Destiny addict with over 1000 hours in Destiny 1 and Destiny 2. I loved the gameplay in other looter games like Anthem, Avengers, Metal Gear Survive, Gotham Knights, and I am sure SS will be a fun game to play.

I am talking exclusively about how a legendary single player studio like Rocksteady is trying to tell a story in a GaaS game and will undoubtedly fail to do so. ND has not said much about Factions so far but they've repeatedly stated that it will feature story and world building we've come to expect from ND games. But I've played enough of these games to know that you just cant have a good story campaign when the missions are designed around coop. It just doesn't work.

SS looks like someone vomited purple all over the screen, but the one cutscene they showed was actually rather intriguing, and yet no one is talking about because it's hard to turn on your brain for a story moment after mindlessly killing healthbars for half an hour. How are you supposed to get emotionally invested in the game world if you are too busy bitching about RNGesus? What's the point of all the world building via NPCs in hub areas if you only care about your light level?

Crystal Dynamics, Rocksteady, Bioware and to a lesser extent Bungie are all well known for their storytelling prowess and they failed just as miserably as Ubisoft did with Division. CD actually got the Uncharted Lost legacy creative director to helm Avengers. Didnt work. ND is perhaps a cut above these studios, but this genre simply does not allow for the careful placement of story beats and character development thats a hallmark of Naughty Dog games.

I would love to be proven wrong, but I think ND should've just done a simple 6v6 MP mode with the amazing motion matching combat mechanics in TLOU2 and called it a day. Hogwarts made $850 million in two weeks on next gen consoles. You dont need to chase whales for $1 skins and $5 battle passes. We are the whales who will give you $70 on day one.
I’m trying to remain optimistic because Rocksteady has a strong track record but I the direction here is clear - away from story and single player and towards a more cynical model of monetization. Sentiment around this game appears to be incredibly negative already - it makes me wonder if Rocksteady had to push this out in panic mode to recoup the losses of whatever game preceded this in development (maybe a single player Superman game?) that was inevitably canned. Wonder if we’ll ever find out.

Chukhopops

I’m not worried about Naughty Dog as I’m sure they’ll do great, they’re excellent and even their worst game (UC4) had some redeeming qualities.

Now the other Live Service Sony games coming from less talented studios… I think a few will be cancelled or heavily redesigned before release now that the GAAS tide is turning and the market is saturated.

Top Bottom