• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio silence since April for Rocksteady's Suicide Squad

simpatico

Here if you need a refresher why there's a radio silence. I think it's beyond saving tbh.

It's so damn ugly. Horrible enemy design. Banter that most people will try to turn off in the options after 30 minutes. Shooting glowing purple tumors with terrible reticles. And if anyone played Arkham Knight watches this, imagine the performance. Their patch team is probably already drinking heavily. Was there a talent exodus from Rocksteady after Arkham Knight? I can't even see this being from the same developer. They were on the cusp of being an S Tier studio. If you want a game like this you can just get Volition or some random Activision licensed IP studio to develop it. No need to bother Rocksteady. What the are people who made the Kung Fu Panda or Happy Feet games doing right now? Are we sure they didn't make this? Watching the trailer just leaves me feeling bad for the devs.

Last edited:

Fbh

Bleak that something so completely uninspired is taking so long.

What's bleak is how Rocksteady went from being one of the most celebrated studios from the Ps3/360 era by releasing some of the most beloved, best selling and critically acclaimed superhero games ever, to spending 8 years making a game which seems like at best will be some GAAS turned regular game at the last minute clusterfuck.

What's bleak is how Rocksteady went from being one of the most celebrated studios from the Ps3/360 era by releasing some of the most beloved, best selling and critically acclaimed superhero games ever, to spending 8 years making a game which seems like at best will be some GAAS turned regular game at the last minute clusterfuck.
Corporate greed

The arch nemesis of art and creativity. Monied interest fucked this studio in the ass. And while some people are mad at WB, what’s the main reaction? Coming down on rocksteady.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Welcome to GaaS revolution....
1507212414-ryan-gosling-laughing-crazy-stupid-love.gif

Holammer

It's so damn ugly. Horrible enemy design. Banter that most people will try to turn off in the options after 30 minutes. Shooting glowing purple tumors with terrible reticles. And if anyone played Arkham Knight watches this, imagine the performance. Their patch team is probably already drinking heavily. Was there a talent exodus from Rocksteady after Arkham Knight? I can't even see this being from the same developer. They were on the cusp of being an S Tier studio. If you want a game like this you can just get Volition or some random Activision licensed IP studio to develop it. No need to bother Rocksteady. What the are people who made the Kung Fu Panda or Happy Feet games doing right now? Are we sure they didn't make this? Watching the trailer just leaves me feeling bad for the devs.
If watching the trailer made you feel bad for the devs, check out this behind the scenes video that accompanied the other video.
The agony is never ending.

simpatico

If watching the trailer made you feel bad for the devs, check out this behind the scenes video that accompanied the other video.
The agony is never ending.

Ugh. So not only is it bad, but to even try to extract any joy from it you have to play it like a full time job. Can wait to hunt down a rifle skin with red, purple and yellow stripes that offer an extra 1.7% stability.

Oh yeah, that trailer was a fucking mess. The kind of thing that most developers just unleash without saying much to maximise sales in the first few days.

All single-player studios trying to break into GaaS have failed and will fail, while destroying the studio, if not killing it, in the process.
The problem is two-fold: This course of action is also killing potentially fun co-op experiences. There are so few around at this point that aren’t just the usual MMO-like experiences.

Avengers was just killed. Naughty Dog’s Factions was just put on ice. Pedigree isn’t bulletproof, they maybe end up shelving it if cannot be rescued into a single-player game.

The Stig

Yeah, exactly what I'm thinking. They're probably pulling a Gotham Knights where they acknowledge the slap back, and are just readjusting whatever they can to make it more like what people would be happier with. But it's not gonna be enough, at all. This game will not do well.
100%

this will be gotham knight 2.0

they made a game they want us to like, saw nobody wants it AT ALL but it is too late.

The Stig

arkham knight was 2015. i imagine everyone talented is gone or has lost ALL motivation

Shame since Rockstar is an insanely talented developer. I’d rather them just make another Batman 🤷‍♂️.

Heck since monolith isn’t making a Shadow of Mordor game….

And Avalanche isn’t making another Mad Max….

Give one of those properties to Rockstar and I it would be game of the year for either option. I would bust.

Its been 6+ months and not a peep. How much of an overhaul do you think we're getting here? Does each character now use their proper weaponry? Are they getting rid of those purple weak points? Does anyone even give a shit anymore?

And now with the rumored Elden DLC to be released on the same week it's like this game was doomed to fail from its very conception.

I was never on board to begin with as I think that whole crew of characters is stupid and not my thing. However, I miss those PS360 days of Rocksteady. I yearn for em.

Hell, at this point Id be more excited if they just took whatever resources they had and gave us an Arkham Knight remaster instead.

Well said. It's crazy how much everyone yearns for another Rocksteady single player experience. I hope this continues to be a disaster so that the industry finally learns its lesson.

Imagine how tedious shooting those tumors will be after a little bit ...

fatmarco

I'm replayling Arkham Knight at the moment and it's scary just how polished and thorough that game is.

Say what you will about the batmobile tank etc., it's probably still the only game that, from the viewpoint of pure polish, whether it's its systems or visuals, are at a Rockstar level of quality, and its still more visually impressive than 90% of next gen games 8 years later.

To play that game, and then see what they've done with Suicide Squad... I'm genuinely unsure if there has been a larger drop off in quality from game to game from a developer before.

it looked fun, the hate was a bit overblown. hopefully they can fix it up and appeal to more people.
It’s not that it needed to be “fixed up”, it’s that the whole premise of the game is wholly unappealing. The game’s gonna launch to crickets because most people are tired and fatigued with GaaS titles and no one wants it. They just made a bad call 4-5 years ago when everyone thought GaaS were gonna be the new thing, and replace single player games.

Last edited:
At this point, they'd be more successful if they just ripped the King Shark model out of this and then used it to make a Baby Shark game.

Nobody wanted or asked for a Suicide Squad game. And then for them to reveal it as this horseshit AND top it off with it being GaaS, well they might as well as just asked Arkham game fans to open their mouths while the devs took a steaming shit in their throats.

Power Pro

The push for suicide squad ip will never not be funny. Movies failed, critically or financially. And now this game isn't looking any better.
This is my takeaway also. I don't know how others think, but the idea of Suicide Squad as a group of characters or franchise appeals to me like 0%. I remember years ago I tried watching the first SS movie on a 12 hour flight to kill the time, that it was so bad that I still turned it off.

Even the THE suicide squad movie was just bad. Originally I said to my family "let's check this out, you guys love Guardians of the Galaxy...maybe you'll enjoy this too" and we turned it off because it was so mean spirited. It's such piece of shit as an IP, that I do not understand why they keep pushing it.

Harley Quinn is the only character that anyone knows, and in this game, her design is so shitty that she could just be any chick with crazy dyed hair.

Pimpbaa

I was expecting Arkham gameplay but with Harley and the gang instead. That’s definitely not what they showed. You had a good thing going there Rocksteady. I mean a co-op third person shooter? Come on man! I don’t know how they can salvage this unless they completely change the gameplay. Maybe that’s why we haven’t heard from them, too busy redoing large parts of the game. I hope.

I hope for the opposite, cause gaas fad is dying outside of very few games. Though to be fair this game never looked interesting enough for me to buy day 1. And I highly doubt they will fix the samey gameplay.
The market only has so much room for ongoing live games that require the player to constantly log in and play all the time, where it's designed around that. It's extremely hard to break into that without something groundbreaking. If you just have a standard fare game that's good but not amazing I would run far away from the GaaS thing. It's also proven to be difficult to near-impossible to get player bases to adopt to a sequel in that style of game, as well. So essentially you are boxed into nothing but expansion packs.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s not that it needed to be “fixed up”, it’s that the whole premise of the game is wholly unappealing. The game’s gonna launch to crickets because most people are tired and fatigued with GaaS titles and no one wants it. They just made a bad call 4-5 years ago when everyone thought GaaS were gonna be the new thing, and replace single player games.
It's the same thing with Avengers - like who buys a superhero game to then spend their time looking for a sword to get +1.8% crit and fire damage multiplier? It's just so stupid. They also go on about how much you can customize your squad - uhh bro it's capeshit. People want to play as the superhero, not make builds. The reason why the best superhero games are the best (Spiderman 2018, Arkham, GotG, etc.) is largely because they translate that character into a great game.

it also means you run the risk of making all these characters who are meant to be distinct play the same, which you saw in the trailer. Just a total disaster in every way.

Last edited:
It's the same thing with Avengers - like who buys a superhero game to then spend their time looking for a sword to get +1.8% crit and fire damage multiplier? It's just so stupid. They also go on about how much you can customize your squad - uhh bro it's capeshit. People want to play as the superhero, not make builds. The reason why the best superhero games are the best (Spiderman 2018, Arkham, GotG, etc.) is largely because they translate that character into a great game.

it also means you run the risk of making all these characters who are meant to be distinct play the same, which you saw in the trailer. Just a total disaster in every way.

Yup! To go from Rise of the Tomb Raider to that, was just such a waste of that studio. Huge missed opportunity

SkylineRKR

Yep it doesn't work if your Cap America is underpowered against regular mobs. Then make something different like The Division, but its laughable to make Avengers a looter GaaS game. That game rightfully crashed.

marjo

100%

this will be gotham knight 2.0

they made a game they want us to like, saw nobody wants it AT ALL but it is too late.

Gotham knights is actually not that bad when taken in isolation (not viewed as a sequel to the Arkham games).
This looks way worse.

Pigenator

They are trying to salvage whatever possible from this shit stinker of a game.
I don't even get how they had the balls to show that piece of crap after working on it for so long. At best it's going to get average reviews and probably be forgotten within a couple of weeks into its release.

Top Bottom