• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can PlayStation 5 beat it's best week ever (118K) this week in Japan?

Can it?

• Yes

Votes: 59 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 35.9%

• Total voters

Ronin_7

With Final Fantasy XVI launch PlayStation 5 might see a Burst in sales, but will it be enough to beat the launch Week at 118K?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
honestly? no.

I think the FF16 will be in the famitsu chart but not number 1, and not for long.
But I hope it does though.

This applies the same for PS5 hardwar as well.

Im more interested to know worldwide sales.

Woopah

With Final Fantasy XVI launch PlayStation 5 might see a Burst in sales, but will it be enough to beat the launch Week at 118K?
I definitely has a chance with the bundle, but I think it will be quote close, selling better 110k and 130k.

Woopah

honestly? no.

I think the FF16 will be in the famitsu chart but not number 1, and not for long.

Which game do you expect to be above FFXVI in the next chart?

Easily. Don’t forget Japan is the only territory getting the LE console.

67ce6987a59b2d9b50151a08dec7c99f.jpg

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
honestly? no.

Course it will bees #1 for at least a week or two

Kerotan

That's a really good question. It could come close but honestly my head say's no. Would love to be wrong though.

Zelda sold 31k the last week and 46k the week before.

Unless you’re trolling, FF16 will be #1 for 2-3 weeks.

And I hope it does it, the meltdown in here and a few more sites would be something Big.
Apparently Nautilus Nautilus doctor increased his dosage to help him cope with the week ahead. Thank god for modern medicine!

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

And I hope it does it, the meltdown in here and a few more sites would be something Big.
nah im not trolling but someone here is err....monitoring Playstation progress in Japan.

Nautilus

Banned
That's a really good question. It could come close but honestly my head say's no. Would love to be wrong though.

Apparently Nautilus Nautilus doctor increased his dosage to help him cope with the week ahead. Thank god for modern medicine!
Thank you for your worry, Doctor Kerotan Kerotan ! Its so refreshing to see you care for my health! Don't you worry though: I do expect the PS5 to be number #1 of the tradicional, stationary, non-mobile console next week, and it also has a high chance to be #1 normal console too!

I just think that 128k is a bit too high, but like how we all trust analysts to be correct on what they do categorize, next week we should get the numbers about it!

Kerotan

Thank you for your worry, Doctor Kerotan Kerotan ! Its so refreshing to see you care for my health! Don't you worry though: I do expect the PS5 to be number #1 of the tradicional, stationary, non-mobile console next week, and it also has a high chance to be #1 normal console too!

I just think that 128k is a bit too high, but like how we all trust analysts to be correct on what they do categorize, next week we should get the numbers about it!
I'll put it down to the dosage but 118k is the figure not 128k.

Personally I just focus on the traditional home console market as I'm into my powerful home consoles not weak portables but maybe next week in Japan I'll take an interest in the wider market 😎

Nautilus

Banned
I'll put it down to the dosage but 118k is the figure not 128k.

Personally I just focus on the traditional home console market as I'm into my powerful home consoles not weak portables but maybe next week in Japan I'll take an interest in the wider market 😎
Ah, that's why we are seeing different outcomes! I am looking at the real market, the actual consoles, while you are probably looking the other way, at an imaginary tradicional home console, that some snake oil salesman must have sold you.

I wish you luck!

Kerotan

Ah, that's why we are seeing different outcomes! I am looking at the real market, the actual consoles, while you are probably looking the other way, at an imaginary tradicional home console, that some snake oil salesman must have sold you.

I wish you luck!
Nothing imaginary about traditional home consoles and long may they exist. Imagine PlayStation and Xbox went the non traditional route with a portable hybrid 🤢

Kerotan

Nobody went non tradicional here. Nintendo, MS, and Sony are all continuously evolving the space. Imagine if people considered internet play, analog sticks or hybrid consoles "non tradicional"

Rainbow Bridge GIF
A portable with a TV connection is anything but a traditional home console. Next thing you'll be telling us the vita was a home console and the Wii U was a portable.

Nautilus

Banned
A portable with a TV connection is anything but a traditional home console. Next thing you'll be telling us the vita was a home console and the Wii U was a portable.
A console that can be used to play games just as traditionally as any home console before it is a also a tradicional home console. Just because it is innovating doesn't mean it isn't tradicional, when you can treat it as such.

Kerotan

A console that can be used to play games just as traditionally as any home console before it is a also a tradicional home console. Just because it is innovating doesn't mean it isn't tradicional, when you can treat it as such.
Ok so a car that you can press a button and wings come out before it takes off and fly's away is a traditional car? I think you need to stop letting your fanboy goggles cloud your ability to understand the English language.

Don't worry; they will just turn the narrative to software sales not suddenly exploding in Top 10 placements instead (ignoring that most non-debut Top 10 games are doing 10K a week if not less, and for Switch it's only mainly Nintendo's own games ranking in the Top 10, not 3P software).

People will do anything they need to confirm a bias :/

Nautilus

Banned
Ok so a car that you can press a button and wings come out before it takes off and fly's away is a traditional car? I think you need to stop letting your fanboy goggles cloud your ability to understand the English language.
And yet, Phil Spencer, NPD, Famitsu, Nedia Create, European analysts and all other analysts all agree universally that Switch, PS5 and Series all compete with each other. All professionals that have dedicated their careers and lives to the videogame industry.

It seems that its you that needs to better understand the english language, as you seem to constantly ignore this part.

Kerotan

And yet, Phil Spencer, NPD, Famitsu, Nedia Create, European analysts and all other analysts all agree universally that Switch, PS5 and Series all compete with each other. All professionals that have dedicated their careers and lives to the videogame industry.

It seems that its you that needs to better understand the english language, as you seem to constantly ignore this part.
Yes Nintendo and Sony always competed but it's far more indirect these days.

Phil is literally spouting absolute shite lately trying to win the court case.

If those publications were to discuss the validity of how traditional the switch is they'd agree not very. They've no problem classing it as a console or home console but never stated it was a traditional one because it's not.

Nintendo themselves have even released a portable only switch. I don't see a non portable version anywhere because portability is clearly the main selling point.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Yes Nintendo and Sony always competed but it's far more indirect these days.

Phil is literally spouting absolute shite lately trying to win the court case.

If those publications were to discuss the validity of how traditional the switch is they'd agree not very. They've no problem classing it as a console or home console but never stated it was a traditional one because it's not.

Nintendo themselves have even released a portable only switch. I don't see a non portable version anywhere because portability is clearly the main selling point.
But all of those extremely well respected companies and individuals, that are in the videogame industry for decades, have always considered the Switch as just a console as much as a PS5 and Series, directly competing with them. They are individuals that have dedicated their careers to it, and some of them earn hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more.

The reason they have not entered in that silly discussion is because there is nothing to discuss. The fact that the Switch is as much of a console as the PS5 and the Series is as obvious as stating that the water is wet.

So I ask you for the tenth time: Are you saying that you know more than the likes of Phil Spencer, NPD, Famitsu Media Create, European analysts and all other professional analysts? Because if you are right, then they are wrong. These highly educated, highly respected professionals that dedicated their whole careers around this topic. And you? What even are you? Just a random user on a forum that isn't even part of the games industry.

So stop dancing around the topic, and answer me like a honest person would: Do you know better than all those professionals, or are you lying?

Woopah

Don't worry; they will just turn the narrative to software sales not suddenly exploding in Top 10 placements instead (ignoring that most non-debut Top 10 games are doing 10K a week if not less, and for Switch it's only mainly Nintendo's own games ranking in the Top 10, not 3P software).

People will do anything they need to confirm a bias :/
I don't anyone will be surprised or can ignore the bolded. Japan is one of those markets like France where Nintendo is far more popular than any other publisher.

yurinka

Nah, back then there was a lot of demand who couldn't buy the console so when shipments allowed it they sold way, way more than usual.

FFXVI may cause some small peak, but not that big. I think in the next couple of weeks may be a big bigger than usual, but not 118K at all. Way less than that.

Last edited:

Woopah

Nah, back then there was a lot of demand who couldn't buy the console so when shipments allowed it they sold way, way more than usual.

FFXVI may cause some small peak, but not that big. I think in the next couple of weeks may be a big bigger than usual, but not 118K at all. Way less than that.
You don't think a lot of people will buy the bundle?

yurinka

You don't think a lot of people will buy the bundle?
I think the game sell very well, that the console will sell very well and that if there are bundles they'll sell well too.

But I consider it's unrealistic to see hardware sales almost doubled because of this game release.

Kerotan

But all of those extremely well respected companies and individuals, that are in the videogame industry for decades, have always considered the Switch as just a console as much as a PS5 and Series, directly competing with them. They are individuals that have dedicated their careers to it, and some of them earn hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more.

The reason they have not entered in that silly discussion is because there is nothing to discuss. The fact that the Switch is as much of a console as the PS5 and the Series is as obvious as stating that the water is wet.

So I ask you for the tenth time: Are you saying that you know more than the likes of Phil Spencer, NPD, Famitsu Media Create, European analysts and all other professional analysts? Because if you are right, then they are wrong. These highly educated, highly respected professionals that dedicated their whole careers around this topic. And you? What even are you? Just a random user on a forum that isn't even part of the games industry.

So stop dancing around the topic, and answer me like a honest person would: Do you know better than all those professionals, or are you lying?
You're just making stuff up at this point. I literally gave you a quote from Sony that suggests otherwise.

You list All these people and entities but no evidence to back it up. Just a massive nothing burger because you can't accept the definition of traditional and indirect competitor.

Woopah

I think the game sell very well, that the console will sell very well and that if there are bundles they'll sell well too.

But I consider it's unrealistic to see hardware sales almost doubled because of this game release.
When FFVX released, PS4 sales went from 42,102 to 118,350. I don't think its unrealistic.
Just for comparison's sake, what is the Switch's weekly best ever in Japan?
392,576, the week Animal Crossing: New Horizons came out

Last edited:
392,576, the week Animal Crossing: New Horizons came out

Holy fucking shit. The only console that is ever going to beat this record is going to be the Switch 2 or w/e the Switch successor is going to be called, with the next Pokemon, Animal Crossing or Zelda launch.

400K WTF?!

Last edited:

Woopah

Holy fucking shit. The only console that is ever going to beat this record is going to be the Switch 2 or w/e the Switch successor is going to be called, with the next Pokemon, Animal Crossing or Zelda launch.

400K WTF?!
It was a combination of Animal Crossing + COVID during Switch's hardware peak. I can't Switch 2 reaching those heights.

Nautilus

Banned
You're just making stuff up at this point. I literally gave you a quote from Sony that suggests otherwise.

You list All these people and entities but no evidence to back it up. Just a massive nothing burger because you can't accept the definition of traditional and indirect competitor.
Nothing burguer? I just gave you a enourmous list of people that classify as such, who made their careers out of it. All of them highly respected, of which to say they are bullshitting you would have to be the one to actually provide some, as their reputation speaks for themselves.

And we have proof on a weekly basis. Every week we get Famitsu numbers. Every week we get UK, France, Germany, Spain charts. Some with numbers, and some without. But in all of them the Switch is put side by side with PS5 and Series, and all the analysts treat them as such. Every month we get NPD data in which the exact same thing happens. Nobody spouts such nonsense as calling any one console as a "tradicional" console and the other not. They are all just consoles.

We have the Head of one the big three go in public and admit in public that not only it competes directly with Sony and Nintendo, but that it actually lost to them.

And all that data is available for public use. There are thousands of proof out there just waiting for you to go look for them.Its out there! Go prove me wrong. They are all easily available.

And why don't you do that? Why is everyone, here in this thread and in other threads, and all the other forums from which you were banned, going against you? Because I presented with you with irrefutable proof and what do you do?

Calls Phil Spencer a liar because you claim he has to gain lying by making him the underdog, the head of xbox and the one most responsible for any act that Xbox does, the guy who devoted decades of his life and career to the videogame industry and has access to the most secretive information in the industry. You claim to know better than him, a random user in the internet. And the best thing about it is that you then go on to cite a quote from the CEO from Sony, and that's NOT a guy(by your own logic) to gain by lying and not making MS the underdog. And treats as if this ALONE isn't proof enough that your claim is bs.

LMAO.

Then you ignore and make shit up about ALL the professional analysts in the industry, as they all treat the Switch as a console as much as the other two. What do you do? Ignore that point completely because you know you can't bs your way through and treats as this ALONE isn't proof enough that your claim is bs.

LMAO

And all you have now is insults. Which is quite sad, but highly entertaining.

Kerotan, you're just sad. Go back and go look at some at the older NPD and Media Create charts to see if you learn something for once.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't think so.

Japanese traditional console market has shrunk, and Sony also has to cater to other markets that are now bigger than Japan.

Woopah

I don't think so.

Japanese traditional console market has shrunk, and Sony also has to cater to other markets that are now bigger than Japan.
Software wise the PlayStation ecosystem in Japan has shrunk, but hardware wise it is growing. There won't be any country with more PS5 sold than Japan apart from the US.

Last edited:

Sojiro

This will be it's week to do so with FF XVI and assuming Sony isn't supplied constrained, so I voted yes. We will see what Thursday brings.

Kerotan

Nothing burguer? I just gave you a enourmous list of people that classify as such, who made their careers out of it. All of them highly respected, of which to say they are bullshitting you would have to be the one to actually provide some, as their reputation speaks for themselves.

And we have proof on a weekly basis. Every week we get Famitsu numbers. Every week we get UK, France, Germany, Spain charts. Some with numbers, and some without. But in all of them the Switch is put side by side with PS5 and Series, and all the analysts treat them as such. Every month we get NPD data in which the exact same thing happens. Nobody spouts such nonsense as calling any one console as a "tradicional" console and the other not. They are all just consoles.

We have the Head of one the big three go in public and admit in public that not only it competes directly with Sony and Nintendo, but that it actually lost to them.

And all that data is available for public use. There are thousands of proof out there just waiting for you to go look for them.Its out there! Go prove me wrong. They are all easily available.

And why don't you do that? Why is everyone, here in this thread and in other threads, and all the other forums from which you were banned, going against you? Because I presented with you with irrefutable proof and what do you do?

Calls Phil Spencer a liar because you claim he has to gain lying by making him the underdog, the head of xbox and the one most responsible for any act that Xbox does, the guy who devoted decades of his life and career to the videogame industry and has access to the most secretive information in the industry. You claim to know better than him, a random user in the internet. And the best thing about it is that you then go on to cite a quote from the CEO from Sony, and that's NOT a guy(by your own logic) to gain by lying and not making MS the underdog. And treats as if this ALONE isn't proof enough that your claim is bs.

LMAO.

Then you ignore and make shit up about ALL the professional analysts in the industry, as they all treat the Switch as a console as much as the other two. What do you do? Ignore that point completely because you know you can't bs your way through and treats as this ALONE isn't proof enough that your claim is bs.

LMAO

And all you have now is insults. Which is quite sad, but highly entertaining.

Kerotan, you're just sad. Go back and go look at some at the older NPD and Media Create charts to see if you learn something for once.
I'm not reading any of that but feel free to provide a source where any of them said switch is a traditional home console.

Nautilus

Banned
I'm not reading any of that but feel free to provide a source where any of them said switch is a traditional home console.
Its written in the post. But the bolded already proves your intention all along, and how you knew you had lost this "discussion" long ago, and this following "conversation" has been nothing but the bickering of someone who can't admit he's wrong. Much like the behaviour of a child. Thanks for confirming for anyone to see.

Anyway, see you next week. Gonna be an interesting week.

Kerotan

Its written in the post. But the bolded already proves your intention all along, and how you knew you had lost this "discussion" long ago, and this following "conversation" has been nothing but the bickering of someone who can't admit he's wrong. Much like the behaviour of a child. Thanks for confirming for anyone to see.

Anyway, see you next week. Gonna be an interesting week.
There's no discussion with you and when you started copying and pasting I lost interest. Unless you change the definition of traditional I'm right so there's nothing else to say.

I only play traditional home consoles. I've zero interest in portables or hybrid's so naturally my main interest in sales will not involve consoles that are portable even if made by Sony.

Not my problem if this makes you salty every week but I can tell you, my interests won't be changing so you might aswell put up or...you know the rest.

Last edited:

Woopah

There's no discussion with you and when you started copying and pasting I lost interest. Unless you change the definition of traditional I'm right so there's nothing else to say.

I only play traditional home consoles. I've zero interest in portables or hybrid's so naturally my main interest in sales will not involve consoles that are portable even if made by Sony.

Not my problem if this makes you salty every week but I can tell you, my interests won't be changing so you might aswell put up or...you know the rest.
Its fine to have personal preferences, but they are irrelevant to sales data.

Next week PS5 will be the best selling console in Japan, even for people who only portably. And Final Fantasy XVI will be the best selling game, even for people who only play traditional turn-based RPGs.

Top Bottom