• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan - Can PlayStation 5 Slim launch beat PlayStation 5 launch sales?

PlayStation 5 Slim vs OG PlayStation 5 Japan

• Yes

Votes: 44 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 65 59.6%

• Total voters

ReBurn

Gold Member
It would be good for Japan to get a larger allocation than they did when the PS5 originally launched. It seemed like Japan was low on the priority list in 2020.

Unknown?

Focus on the question. And Nintendo maybe release a new hardware next years. I not saying PS5 will not sell, I saying he will not beat the old PS5 because competition in Japan is getting harder.
We're talking about next week when the new model comes out, if it has a better launch week than the original. Next year is irrelevant.

Saber

Gold Member
Heh...dunno, I don't think they would be willing to buy an another PS5. Maybe the ones who saw the news but didn't buy the original will go for it though.

yurinka

I think it's only a new SKU of the same console, so will have pretty similar sales to previous week. I think that unlike in this thread, most people won't see this new SKU as a new console release.

So I think it won't have new console release sales numbers, maybe a little higher due Spider-Man 2 release and being a bit closer to Holidays season.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I don't see why it would. Unless you count like, more availability compared to launch I guess?
This is why I voted "yes"
When the OG PS5 was released, the availability was pretty low, and IIRC Japan got a rather small amount of units.

OTOH it was launch week with the production of several months and the Slim is nothing special, so maybe I am wrong 🤷‍♀️

nial

Gold Member
I think it's only a new SKU of the same console, so will have pretty similar sales to previous week. I think that unlike in this thread, most people won't see this new SKU as a new console release.

So I think it won't have new console release sales numbers, maybe a little higher due Spider-Man 2 release and being a bit closer to Holidays season.
You said?

Rockman33

I was in Japan 2 weeks ago and playstation 5’s were definitely in stock. There was some advertisement for the new playstation but not a ton. We will see.

Mr Moose

It sold around 106K more than last week (Famitsu).

yurinka

You said?
It sold around 106K more than last week (Famitsu).
Seems I was so wrong on having similar numbers to the previous week (I didn't know they almost didn't have no stock the previous week), it did sell a lot way more than I expected and performed great.

But well, was right on not achieving the console launch numbers even if the new SKU did a great job.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

PS5 original launch Nov 10th 2020

Nov 09 - Nov 15

6 days of sales tracked and total = 118,085

PS5 slim launch Nov 10th 2023

Nov 6 - Nov 12

3 days of sales tracked and total = 107,953

Top Bottom