• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can PlayStation 5 beat it's best week ever (118K) this week in Japan?

Can it?

• Yes

Votes: 59 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 33 35.9%

• Total voters
At least online, both Yodobashi and Bic Camera are sold out on the FF16 PS5 bundle (Both Disc and Digital)

Don’t know if that’s a good sign or not

Kerotan

Its fine to have personal preferences, but they are irrelevant to sales data.

Next week PS5 will be the best selling console in Japan, even for people who only portably. And Final Fantasy XVI will be the best selling game, even for people who only play traditional turn-based RPGs.
I'll discuss next week when it happens.

Unknown?

Its written in the post. But the bolded already proves your intention all along, and how you knew you had lost this "discussion" long ago, and this following "conversation" has been nothing but the bickering of someone who can't admit he's wrong. Much like the behaviour of a child. Thanks for confirming for anyone to see.

Anyway, see you next week. Gonna be an interesting week.
Actually you lost it, it's portable.

nial

Gold Member
In form and plug-factor, the PS4 is closer to the NES than it is to the Switch. The Switch can be a console for sure, just as much as it can be a handheld, and that's why its hybrid nature disqualifies it from being considered a traditional console or traditional handheld. I mean, damn, it's literally a tablet that you put inside a dock, not some big bulky box that you plug into the TV like the NES or PS4.

Last edited:

Woopah

In form and plug-factor, the PS4 is closer to the NES than it is to the Switch. The Switch can be a console for sure, just as much as it can be a handheld, and that's why its hybrid nature disqualifies it from being considered a traditional console or traditional handheld. I mean, damn, it's literally a tablet that you put inside a dock, not some big bulky box that you plug into the TV like the NES or PS4.
But the issue is that the focus on "traditional" is irrelevant. Famitsu gives us hardware rankings/numbers and software rankings/numbers. There's no seperate "traditional software" chart or "traditional hardware" chart.

Last edited:

Unknown?

But the issue is that the focus on "traditional" is irrelevant. Famitsu gives us hardware rankings/numbers and software rankings/numbers. There's no seperate "traditional software" chart or "traditional hardware chart".
It's not irrelevant in this region because portable systems have superseded home consoles. Home consoles have been downward after the PS2 and cratered after the Wii in regards to historical sells.

Measuring sells of consoles that are not portable is important to see if the trend continues or not and so far it's looking like PS5 is reversing that trend.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's not irrelevant in this region because portable systems have superseded home consoles. Home consoles have been downward after the PS2 and cratered after the Wii in regards to historical sells.

Measuring sells of consoles that are not portable is important to see if the trend continues or not and so far it's looking like PS5 is reversing that trend.
It's relevant in that functionality helps sales, but it doesn't put those device's into a seperate market.

Switch and PS5 are in the same market even though PS5 is more traditional. PS4 and Wii U were in the same market even though the PS4 was more traditional. GameCube, GBA and PS2 were all in the sane market, even though the PS2 was much less traditional.

That was my point. Yes measuring the sales of PS5 and looking at how it is doing against other platforms like the PS4, PS Vita, Wii U and Switch is indeed important.

Unknown?

It's relevant in that functionality helps sales, but it doesn't put those device's into a seperate market.

Switch and PS5 are in the same market even though PS5 is more traditional. PS4 and Wii U were in the same market even though the PS4 was more traditional. GameCube, GBA and PS2 were all in the sane market, even though the PS2 was much less traditional.

That was my point. Yes measuring the sales of PS5 and looking at how it is doing against other platforms like the PS4, PS Vita, Wii U and Switch is indeed important.
Yes but every genre of game are in the same market too but people still measure the different genres to see what is gaining or losing popularity.

Its not impossible, but unlikely.

Don't know why this wasn't kept in the famitsu thread, but ok.

But yes, unlikely but certainly possible.
Well, we've just got the results from the UK and they look quite promising: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fina...4s-and-dead-island-2s.1658188/#post-268114278. Good chance it will do gangbusters in Japan especially with that sexy as fuck limited edition PS5!

The only bad thing (or good for other forum members) is that you'll be watching this big Square and Sony W from the sidelines. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Woopah

Well, we've just got the results from the UK and they look quite promising: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fina...4s-and-dead-island-2s.1658188/#post-268114278. Good chance it will do gangbusters in Japan especially with that sexy as fuck limited edition PS5!

The only bad thing (or good for other forum members) is that you'll be watching this big Square and Sony W from the sidelines. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Obviously we'll have to see with digital, but I don't think think those numbers in the UK tell us much about the numbers in Japan. The drop in physical from FFXV should be lower in Japan I think.

Yoshi-P: “We know about the exclusivity of FF16, but do we have a 18 months period sales plan for the game”

“Gamers” after 1st week physical sales in UK: “The Game is Dooooomed”

The Switch almost certainly evolved out of the idea of the super gameboy. Similar concept, but largely reversed.

Disappointed to see he has been suspended because I would have liked him to have to face the music with strong PS5 hardware sales over the next couple of weeks.

It could very easily hit 118K, but there are factors we're not aware of in terms of if there is enough supply in order to readily do that. It should be considered as well that the game is coming out at an interesting time. Kids generally would be studying for finals now, so we might see some extended legs through July rather than all next week.

Yet the Switch Lite numbers that contribute to the Switch's overall numbers are pure handheld.

I'm not sure that given it's power output that we should really even call it a hybrid. You can argue that it is a handheld that comes with a dock, but the nature of the joy cons suggests that it is more of a hybrid.

I think most can agree that it is non-traditional like the Wii.

The PS5 and XSX/S are clearly delineated from the Atari 2600/5200 and NES and despite taking on qualities from PC gaming (which has also taken on console qualities) they are clearly in line with traditional gaming.

I don't remember anyone ever arguing PS Vita TV was a console. No one called the NES, SNES, or Ps classic consoles either.

I think and this is just my understanding is that many people want to call the Switch a console due to the failure of the n64, GameCube, and Wii U, and the clear non-traditional nature of the Wii.

I think Xbox fans who really want to see the ABK deal go through want Switch to be considered as part of the story because it makes it easier to justify. They I think rightfully see the danger of what a failed deal looks like for Xbox.

It's a tough industry, but what's funny is that the market for gaming in general just absolutely dwarfs consoles, so we're arguing over nothing here.

Top Bottom