• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan - Can PlayStation 5 Slim launch beat PlayStation 5 launch sales?

PlayStation 5 Slim vs OG PlayStation 5 Japan

• Yes

Votes: 44 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 65 59.6%

• Total voters

Ronin_7

Banned
PlayStation 5 is currently sold out in Japan but you can pre order PlayStation 5 Slim.

Can this launch beat the Original launch of 120K?

I'm gonna guess, no.

Edit:
Changing my vote to yes. For some reason didn't see the 120k. They can top that I think.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Kinda GIF

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I voted no. I don't think it's that slim, are they marketing it as a slim?

However, PS5 hardware does sell more than its software.

Unknown?

Yeah because they were close to 120k last year when they restocked the normal one and no longer had shortages. They were doing 90k in a week and they've been out of stock for quite awhile there just as Spider-Man 2 launched.

X-Wing

Maybe, the launch model had a lot of stock issues during release. This model is like a relaunch with none of those.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Without software? With a DRM based system?

No.
?

Japan might be the most internet capable region on the planet.

Unless you think mobile game aren't huge there.

And lets revisit this DRM based phrase once PC ppl that installed a recent blu ray drive start chiming in.

Fake

?

Japan might be the most internet capable region on the planet.

Unless you think mobile game aren't huge there.

And lets revisit this DRM based phrase once PC ppl that installed a recent blu ray drive start chiming in.

I talking about culture. They don't usually accept this there. Have nothing to do with what they have.

Elios83

Possible because it's a smaller console, there won't be shortages and there have been a few weeks of pent up demand due to the system not being available on the market and people waiting.

jroc74

I talking about culture. They don't usually accept this there. Have nothing to do with what they have.
How many consoles have been created that had removable disc drives?

Definitely a possibility. It's smaller, which is always a plus for Japanese gamers. Unfortunately, this Slim doesn't come with a price drop, though, so that's definitely a point against it. In the end, I'm going to guess it just misses it.

Go_Ly_Dow

It would be nice if Sony actually provided a release date first for any country that's not the US. Is it coming in 2023 or 2024?

Sony are failing with communication this gen.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sony ate doing great this generation and only need to improve Japan. Communication is their strong suit toasters oven

Spyxos

Gold Member
No.

Why whould slim sell better? If someone wanted to buy a Ps5, they would have bought it already. And the percentage of people who have been waiting for the Slim ps5 is probably quite small.

Fake

How many consoles have been created that had removable disc drives?

You should either use google or stick with the question the OP provide.

Japan is a Nintendo territory, but Sony is not doing a good job to provide a better service to japanese folks.

jroc74

You should either use google or stick with the question the OP provide.

Japan is a Nintendo territory, but Sony is not doing a good job to provide a better service to japanese folks.
And what exactly does Nintendo have to do with the question the OP provided?

How about taking your own advice?

Fake

And what exactly does Nintendo have to do with the question the OP provided?

How about taking your own advice?

Question:

Japan - Can PlayStation 5 Slim launch beat PlayStation 5 launch sales?​

Answer:

With Nintendo Switch being stronger and stronger in both software and hardware year to year in Japan, the chances of the new PS5 beating the old PS5 in sales are less likely.

Hope this help you out.

Last edited:

jroc74

Question:

Answer:

With Nintendo Switch being stronger and stronger in both software and hardware year to year in Japan, the chances of the new PS5 beating the old PS5 in sales are less likely.

Hope this help you out.
Because clearly with the Switch dominating in Japan the PS5 couldn't sell well...IIRC its close to or pass PS4 sales in Japan launch aligned....

And nevermind this is from the OP of this thread...

"Can this launch beat the Original launch of 120K?"

:rolleyes:

The Switch was already beasting by 2020.

Lets not act like we're talking about Xbox sales in Japan. Hell, even Xbox has seen growth in Japan despite being virtually non existent.

Hope that helps you out.

Last edited:

Fake

Because clearly with the Switch dominating in Japan the PS5 couldn't sell well...

Yes. PS5 losing strenght in Japan meaning their chances of beating his predecessor are less than before.

Is this hard to you understand? That Nintendo Switch sales affect PS5 slim sales?

Last edited:

Codes 208

Probably not.

+ more widely available

-drm
-no change outside of size
-not a handheld

I think it’ll do about as good as the ps5 is currently selling

Unknown?

As opposed to taking 6-12 months' worth of demand and hype for a new console launch and putting it in one week?
Yes because this time they shouldn't have stock issues.
Question:

Answer:

Hope this help you out.
PS5 is getting stronger and stronger too, have you missed this year? It's doing better tha n the years before and PS4/PS3 launch aligned.
Probably not.

+ more widely available

-drm
-no change outside of size
-not a handheld

I think it’ll do about as good as the ps5 is currently selling
That'd be pretty good if they sold what it has been selling, from 50k-95k a week.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't see why it would. Unless you count like, more availability compared to launch I guess?

I think the stand being sold separately and the digital version being only $50 cheaper now is gonna put a damper on a lot of excitement for this

Fake

PS5 is getting stronger and stronger too, have you missed this year? It's doing better tha n the years before and PS4/PS3 launch aligned.

Focus on the question. And Nintendo maybe release a new hardware next years. I not saying PS5 will not sell, I saying he will not beat the old PS5 because competition in Japan is getting harder.

Woopah

Focus on the question. And Nintendo maybe release a new hardware next years. I not saying PS5 will not sell, I saying he will not beat the old PS5 because competition in Japan is getting harder.
The effect of Switch on a single week of PS5 sales is not going to be that significant.

nial

Gold Member
Oh boy, I've got news for you then...
To answer OP's question, probably no, but I'm sure it will make a difference with the next weeks going forward.

Top Bottom