• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain this ghost myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPS2

I just got asked if I could move my bed, because if it's in line with the door apparently it attracts ghosts. No idea where this idea comes from, but a mate of mine suggested that it might be, if you look through a door and can see a girl sleeping in there, she's in more danger than if you can't see her. Sounds reasonable to me I guess, but it has little to do with ghosts. Anyone heard of this before?

CPS2

Well duh the point is that the other real ghost will see that the room is already spoken for.

Unless they find that ghost attractive or something. But something tells me, one look at Mario and they'll close their eyes and turn the other way.

I just got asked if I could move my bed, because if it's in line with the door apparently it attracts ghosts. No idea where this idea comes from, but a mate of mine suggested that it might be, if you look through a door and can see a girl sleeping in there, she's in more danger than if you can't see her. Sounds reasonable to me I guess, but it has little to do with ghosts. Anyone heard of this before?
But ghosts don't exist
Ghosts are for not that smart single aunts.
I have found this to be true

CFMOORE!

this put a creepy horror visual into my head. no i won't be able to sleep. fuck you!

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if it's Feng Shui or an old wives tale, but I remember hearing you don't want your bed facing a doorway because that is how your body will be taken out when you die. At least your feet pointing towards the door.

Korey

Man, who are these people you're living with, lol

jaxword

I don't know if it's Feng Shui or an old wives tale, but I remember hearing you don't want your bed facing a doorway because that is how your body will be taken out when you die. At least your feet pointing towards the door.

Do you regularly die when you go to bed?

ArjanN

If you're dead, you likely won't care if they carry you out of the room feet or head first.

CPS2

Man, who are these people you're living with, lol

I'm the only atheist in the house and everyone knows I'm an atheist lol. Anytime anything like this comes up I just give my "that's bullshit" look, and I think some part of them agrees.

jaxword

I'm the only atheist in the house and everyone knows I'm an atheist lol. Anytime anything like this comes up I just give my "that's bullshit" look, and I think some part of them agrees.

Just for semantic accuracy, atheist thought doesn't have anything to do with ghosts or spirits. In theory you could 100% believe that ghosts are haunting the earth and possess people and do all sorts of eeeeeeevil things and that could be completely independent of atheism.

Basically I'm saying it's unwise to use "atheist" as a blanket label for oneself towards all beliefs since it doesn't really work (and just gives a bad stereotype for certain types to use).

CPS2

Just for semantic accuracy, atheist thought doesn't have anything to do with ghosts or spirits. In theory you could 100% believe that ghosts are haunting the earth and possess people and do all sorts of eeeeeeevil things and that could be completely independent of atheism.

Basically I'm saying it's unwise to use "atheist" as a blanket label for oneself towards all beliefs since it doesn't really work (and just gives a bad stereotype for certain types to use).

Yeah I agree with that, but I think taking some things on faith alone kinda opens the doorway to other stuff that isn't reasonable. Kind of another topic though...

Log4Girlz

Where were you in that ridiculous tarot card thread?

I can't be everywhere :p I also avoid any official faith threads.

I think most modern atheists include all supernatural beliefs to fall under a theistic mindset. I mean, I can just say I'm a skeptic, and that pretty much covers it all.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i know that you generally want to keep a good vantage point of your doorway while you sleep in case an intruder tries to come through.

that may or may not be a reason why I have a single bell on my door knob... i always know if someone is futzing with my door (im a very light sleeper).

Slavik81

If I learned anything from my years of video games, it's that ghosts can't approach you if you're facing them. Thus, you should always go to sleep facing the door.

Bombadil

Banned
I've seen Ghost and I can prove it.

patrick-swayze-demi-moore-ghost-2.jpg

If I learned anything from my years of video games, it's that ghosts can't approach you if you're facing them.

I can't think of a single game where that applies. Perhaps you're thinking of the chain chomp in Mario Party 5 in the mini game titled "Night Light Fright," where your character is turned away from the chain chomp as it approaches and you have to turn around and scare it before it hits you. Whichever player stuns the chain chomp at the smallest distance wins the mini game.

Mario_Party_5_Night_Light_Fright.png

Anteater

If I'm to take a guess about the logic behind it, it would probably be because people usually fear looking outside the door at night in the dark if they keep the door opened, being paranoid probably gave them nightmares, so they would think a ghost is fucking with him/her because the bed is right in line with the door "inviting" ghosts.

And well if the ghost could see you from outside of the door he would probably go after you I guess.

My bed is next to the wall to the right of the door, so it can't be seen. Never heard that rumor but I'd be kind of freaked out if people could see my entire bed by looking through the door. I wouldn't want to get sexually assaulted

jaxword

My bed is next to the wall to the right of the door, so it can't be seen. Never heard that rumor but I'd be kind of freaked out if people could see my entire bed by looking through the door. I wouldn't want to get sexually assaulted

I hear ghosts sexually assault people unless they have an onion.

Septimius

Is this a Minecraft thing?

No, that's not having the bed too close to an unsafe square!

Anyway. Yeah, Feng Shui mentions this, but that's because Feng Shui isn't all that supernatural that people believe, and there's a lot of westerners today that "believe" in Feng Shui and have completely misunderstood the idea behind it.

I can tell you it is bad Feng Shui, because sleeping in line with your door, feet towards the door just feels awkward. There's just something about it that makes you feel unsafe - I could probably go on about the evolutionary history behind this, but if I were you, I'd try moving the bed. If you somehow feel a bit more "at home" or something like that in your bed when you do it, I'd keep it like that. If you don't give a fuck, you don't give a fuck, but at least try it. I've moved around furniture in my bed room and I sleep much better from it.

Bombadil

Banned
Although I don't believe in ghosts, I always arrange my bed against a wall so I can turn my back to the wall without fear that some monster/ghost/thing will be watching me.

This is due to years of watching horror films. I also made sure not to have a bed elevated from the floor because of the irrational fear that some creature would live under my bed. I recall vividly a film I saw as a child in which a teddy bear demon with red eyes occupied a young child's bed and frequently asked her to play with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom