• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

jem0208

Well, you are just one of these guys who value graphics more than gameplay. Nothing wrong with that. Well, ultimately this attitude let us to a situation where even Triple A game ran at miserable framerates last gen and 30FPS are now some sort of "gold standard" and devs are applauded by users and gaming media if they manage to lock down that amazing framerate....but nothing wrong with that.

I haven't said that either, I'm saying it depends on the game. A twitch shooter like Quake needs to be at least 60fps. A game like DOTA or LoL benefits massively from being 60fps. However more slow paced shooters such as Halo are fine at 30.

Seanspeed

Banned
But that is something only PC gamers will know, people who can compare framerates, especially to console counterparts. How should people know if they never experience it? They can't and so they are happy.

I'm 100% sure that there are games I wouldn't enjoy on consoles but loved to death on PC because of the framerate differences. Sleeping Dogs comes to my mind, I played the PS3 demo and though "OMG WHAT IS THAT". People highly underestimate how much snappier, life-like and "direct" games feel at 60FPS.
Well that's what I was saying. People who say that Destiny feels perfectly 'smooth' at 30fps have no frame of reference. I've heard people argue their pack-in earbuds from an iPhone sound 'great', simply because they've never heard what good headphones can sound like.

I never said that 30fps games designed as such are just as smooth. I'm saying they are adequately smooth for the game. Making Horizon 60fps and massively cutting back the graphical quality wouldn't be good for the game. It's fine at 30fps.
You say that, but you have no idea what the game might feel like at 60fps.

And yes, Horizon and Motorsport are very similar. They have the same physics engine and handling system. What Horizon does with this system isn't very simulation however if you were to stick entirely to the roads it is very similar to the Motorsport series.

Horizon's handling and physics are just as sim-like as Motorsport's. And they work perfectly fine at 30fps.
Jesus Christ no. Horizon does not have sim-like physics. You are objectively wrong about this. It doesn't take but a quick glance at some footage to see that the physics lean away from the more 'sim-like' physics of Forza Motorsport. They share technology, but they are not the same at all. Battlefield 4 and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare both share the same engine but that does not mean they have the same physics. Horizon has a ton of 'forgiveness' added to Motorsport's physics. And you might not notice because you're not doing the same sort of track racing, which is what makes them such different games. You do not need to worry about proper driving technique that much in Horizon.

I haven't said that either, I'm saying it depends on the game. A twitch shooter like Quake needs to be at least 60fps. A game like DOTA or LoL benefits massively from being 60fps. However more slow paced shooters such as Halo are fine at 30.
Haha. Just wait til people get their hands on the new Master Chief Collection. I guarantee you people will lush over the 60fps 'feel' of Halo.

Again, frame of reference. It feels smooth because you haven't experienced how much better it can be.

nded

Yeah, I can tell the difference. Most times even just looking at it depending on how fast the game moves.

Edit: 11/11

Cdammen

Yes, and I play better with higher framerate. Especially in FPS (heh) games where aiming and spotting enemy movement is crucial. The jump in fidelity is pretty big. I cannot understand how people don't see the difference - you can care not care about 60fps but not seeing the difference is mind-boggling. How do you get through the day if your eyes and brain only interpret 30fps :D

(EDIT) 11/11 by the way, just did the test. Easy.

Kasumin

Depends on the game, really. For me, it's not that I notice 30 fps, it's that I notice 60 fps. So I don't really mind 30 fps games. I swear, the way some people talk on this board, it's like they can count each individual frame.

I mostly play RPGs, though. So I tend to not care if a game is 30 vs 60 fps.

Seanspeed

Banned
Depends on the game, really. For me, it's not that I notice 30 fps, it's that I notice 60 fps. So I don't really mind 30 fps games. I swear, the way some people talk on this board, it's like they can count each individual frame.

I mostly play RPGs, though. So I tend to not care if a game is 30 vs 60 fps.
Games like Skyrim and Dark Souls are massively improved at 60fps.

Turn-based RPG's are affected less(but not completely unaffected) in terms of the 'feel', but the visual improvement is still quite impactful.

Mascot

11/11.
Took about a second of watching only one screen to nail each one.
It's night and day to me. Nothing could be more obvious.

People who can't tell the difference must need new brain medicine.

10/11 I missed the CSGO one which is hilarious because thats the game I play the most. I just clicked in under 2 seconds which was dumb. On average though I saw the difference really quick.

Kasumin

Turn-based RPG's are affected less(but not completely unaffected) in terms of the 'feel', but the visual improvement is still quite impactful.

I guess I should've specified. I mostly play turn-based RPGs. The only case where I was really bothered by a game being 30 fps was Tales of Symphonia's "HD" port. But my issue there had more to do with Namco's outright laziness (the GC version ran at 60 fps just fine) in porting the PS2 version without restoring the original game's frame rate.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
11/11. All were extremely easy except for the 7 days to die one as the game doesnt look great anyway.

Dunkley

11/11, although I have to say games with motion blur like Forza Horizon 2 make 30FPS a lot easier on the eyes than games without.

I am also really not bothered by it if that is the case.

JCX

8/11

I really think whether or not it bugs you depends partially on preferred genres. As the test shows, it's best demonstrated in Shooters/Racing games, which makes sense, considering the twitch responses needed. I don't play either genre often, so it doesn't bug me much.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Instantly recognized all of them except the Into the sun one. Been an fps whore for most games since witnessing Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona for the first time.

deeTyrant

Got 10 / 11. I can't really tell immediately, but its fairly obvious whenever they pan the camera around.

The difference is evident, but I don't think it has ever really effected my enjoyment of a game in a significant way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
11/11

Super easy. I personally don't know how anyone can not tell the difference (even when not viewing them side-by-side like this), one is so clearly smoother than the other. But oh well!

Kathian

Banned
11/11

Its more about how a game responds to your input though; its visual feedback rather than picking out 'how it looks'.

Mascot

I want to know if those freaks (no offence) who can't tell the difference see everything how I see 60fps, or everything how I see 30fps.

There must be something wrong with me, 6/11. Then again, I've never really concerned myself overly much with a game's performance. If it is running smoothly enough I guess I just don't notice the difference as much. I did however correctly spot the difference between the games I had actually played in that rundown.

Sez

11/11.
Took about a second of watching only one screen to nail each one.
It's night and day to me. Nothing could be more obvious.

People who can't tell the difference must need new brain medicine.

I got 10/11.

I managed to get it by choosing the ones who saw more fake.

I don't understand why some people feel the need to insult people who just see stuff diferentely.

I don't have a 20/20 vision and I dislike superbright blu-ray movies and sometimes high fps, it just look fake to me, and I think it's because in real life I don't see the things so bright and defined.

Anyway I would like a serious study with thousands of people to determine the cause of why some people are able to spot the difference so easily and others not, and why some prefer ultraHD and others like me, dont.

EDIT:
It would be cool if we could see if there's some sort of correlation between
your 60vs30 detection score and your average reaction times (http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime)

Since there's definitely a ceiling effect and at least 1 error caused by jittery videos, data from people with 0 - 9 correct answers might be enough.

This is very interesting. I usually prefer 30 fps and my reaction times where I think slow: an average of 295ms after 30 tries. (below average)

SorchaR

It would be cool if we could see if there's some sort of correlation between
your 60vs30 detection score and your average reaction times (http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime)

Since there's definitely a ceiling effect and at least 1 error caused by jittery videos, data from people with 0 - 9 correct answers might be enough.

That is interesting. As I posted above, my score for the test in to OP was 2/11, and I didn't see much of a difference between the two videos. My score for the test which you posted is 345, which is quite low and below the average of 254. So there could be something to your theory.

UrbanRats

Not only i can, but when i put 30 fps in TLOU:R, i instantly feel sick, from the judder of moving the camera around.

I'm worried for Bloodborne being 30fps.
I'd gladly take a 12 months delay, if it meant getting 60 fps.

Qassim

11/11

Other than that one game with no colour and the ship, which I had to wait a little longer to find something to reference, that was all very obvious.

PZXwgYp.png

Ziffles

That is interesting. As I posted above, my score for the test in to OP was 2/11, and I didn't see much of a difference between the two videos. My score for the test which you posted is 345, which is quite low and below the average of 254. So there could be something to your theory.
See I don't think it would matter, because even if you take longer to process the visual data you're still getting the same stream of information. Are you using Chrome or Firefox, and how fast is your computer?

Top Bottom