• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

fedexpeon

Banned
11/11

Took less than 2mins.

But man, what a great webpage.
It is so easy to tell.
My mind is blown away when people say that they can't tell from just looking at the animation.
It takes about 5-10 secs each to see the frames.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
11/11

Pretty easy. There were only like 2 that gave me a little trouble, but even then it was just about waiting for something to make the difference really obvious. I seem to see the difference most clearly in objects that are tracking laterally across the screen, like something moving from left to right. Makes it really easy to see the smoothness of the 60fps for some reason.

Dmented

Banned
11/11 but I think the biggest issue with 30 vs 60 fps things like this is you are not actually controlling the game. That makes a huge difference.

RdN

11/11.

It's just to easy to see the difference side by side. But really, when you only have a 30fps source playing, it's not nearly that bad and in any way impacts my enjoyment of a game.

SuomiDude

I basically got 11/11, failed one when I cliked resync and for some reason it chose the wrong one automatically.
But it's not that obvious for me, took quite a few seconds and careful watching before each click. And if there would be a 30fps and 60fps video seperately, I don't think I could tell the difference. Also the 30fps videos looks perfectly playable, because it was steady 30fps, no framerate drops, which is the main reason a game becomes a pain.

AtmaVegeta

Neo Member
First time I did it.... 5/11 (got the last 4 correct once I figured out the different and Max Payne was a total guess that I happened to get correct). I was thinking 30fps / 60fps in opposite terms. Either way I don't care. 30 or 60 works for me.

jblank83

The helicopter and the race the sun games are the only ones that take any time to notice. Everything else is plain as day.

CrovaxPSO

It's easy for me to tell when it's a side by side comparison like this, but if I just saw one or the other I probably would have a harder time guessing which it was.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
11/11, easy.

I'm surprised so many can't tell the difference though, for reference I have pretty terrible eyesight.

RoKKeR

11/11, pretty obvious.

I will never understand people who say they can't tell a difference. Resolution, 720/900/1080 is one thing, 60/30 is a massive difference.

Rizific

completely in awe at some of the replies in here. how is it not painfully obvious which one is 60? now im no eye doctor, but im genuinely curious as to how some people are unable to tell. is it an eye thing? does it have something to do with how the eye transmits images to the brain? no offense intended, but id like to read more about this.

11/11. The only one that took me longer than 2 seconds was "Race the Sun". I feel that as hardware improves, developers should give players the option to play 60 or 30 fps, like how The Last of Us Remastered is, from what I understand.

Yes, play a racing game at 60 fps then go play one at 30 fps. You will see a difference.

Better yet play Mk8 with one or two players then play with 3 or 4 player.
This one. I'm not much of a video expert but could tell the difference as if it was night/day when playing Burnout multiplayer vs. single player. Same with Mario Kart.

11/11

I feel there is no reason for games to be 30fps. The only excuse I ever hear is muh graphics, which just aren't as important to me. Especially with the PS4 out. Games can look amazing and be 60fps now. Best of both worlds. All games look better at 60fps, not just fast paced fighting games and hack and slashes. Any game with a free camera feels so much more pleasant to play. It's just so easy on they eyes.

Stulaw

With the helicopter one,
look at the propeller.

Yeah, it's obvious in most cases. 11/11.

My average score on the reaction time game was 233ms.

ST2K

Missed the helicopter one, 10/11.

60FPS is really easy to tell when it's being directly compared. I have a harder time when there's no comparison.

Drinkel

10/11 Got race the sun wrong but there isn't much to go by visually in that game. I have a much harder time telling those videos apart when viewed side by side than I would do seeing the games running in fullscreen. It's like the brain tries to equalize the difference in framerate between the two images.

I never do well on these 30 vs 60 browser tests. I see Chrome is recommended. I use FF. Is FF the problem? I know I can tell the difference in actual games. The difference is night and day when switching between 30 and 60 in TLOU:R.

11/11 for me. Anyone who gets below a 10/11 on these should probably see an optician.

I was playing Smash 3DS earlier and the 30fps Assist Trophies and Pokemon clash so badly with the 60fps playable characters.

Muffdraul

11/11. I had to stare at Race the Sun for a long time before I could tell, though. All of the others were completely obvious to me after one or two seconds.

Side by side? It's almost impossible not to.

I remain happy with anything 30 and above.

That's precisely how I feel. 60fps is great, but I don't demand it. And I have no problem with relatively high but wavering frame rates vs. "just fucking lock it at 30 if you can't do 60 all the time, waaaaahhhh!"

westman

I got 11/11, but I can't say I was 100% sure about all of them. The bike game didn't seem all that smooth even in 60 fps, while the helicopter scene looked very similar between versions. In most cases, I picked up some quick motion in the 60 fps clip that was just too smooth to be 30 fps, while the opposite was much harder to detect. That supports the idea that 30 fps is just fine if you haven't been spoiled by 60 fps.

ChrisG683

144/144

But seriously, past 90ish FPS it's still recognizable, but much harder to distinguish. Certain motions and movements are definitely very noticeable (such as when the whole camera moves or pans), much smoother and less blurred, but other movement is harder to detect.

What I will say though is that G-Sync has totally my view on smoothness. It makes lower and variable framerates (even high variable framerates) SO much smoother. I dream of a day where every monitor/TV has its frames sync'd with the GPU. It's not going to magically make 30 fps buttery smooth, but it helps a lot in the perceived smoothness of the 40-60 fps range

Best way to compare is to actually play it, 60 feels much better to play. Panning the camera with 60 fps you get smooth motion and input. With 30 it feels kinda slow and stuttery in comparison.

11/11 - however it took me a long time to pick out the 60 one in the helicopter game. I also had a tough time with the ninja turtle game for some reason.

It's a lot easier to tell the difference when I'm playing the game.

11/11 but some were not that disturbing. I can live with 30fps when it's stable and when the gameplay is kind of slow but target stable 60fps and you'll have my attention.

Frame rate drops or tearing are the worst for me.

Top Bottom