• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Election 2011: Blue ocean, orange crush, and a red tide washed out to sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MalboroRed said:
Or they'll just say fuck it and move to Ontario where it's easier to find a job as a non-francophone and they don't have to speak a word of french ever since we'll simply ditch bilingualism altogether. Your economy will be in the shit, you won't get a dime from us in federal transfers, Quebec won't even last decades to assimilate anyone, your government will go bankrupt or be forced make cuts to services so drastic that Quebecers will wish they're still part of Canada. If Quebecers want to separate, they need to be realistic about the fact that they will be treated as a foreign nation by Canada, and all the favorable treatments they're enjoying right now will end.

The Canadian government will give 4 billion to Newfoundland to compete with Hydro Quebec, that means using our tax dollars to compete with ourselves when it never financed HQ, the Canadian government is not giving us the 2 billion for the tax harmonization that it has given the rest of Canada, and so on and so forth. We have been paying for the rest of Canada's growth with our taxes since forever, so don't pretend we're the ones who will lose something. Our money is paying for the development of oil sands in Alberta, it could go back to fund our own energetic development. We have everything to gain. We won't go bankrupt, everything checks and clicks.

gutter_trash said:
wow, thread has gone to the dogs with the arguments why separation would be "good"
I'm from Toronto, and a Leafs fan.

If not for Quebec, and specifically Montreal, I'd have to stay up really really late to watch the hockey playoffs.

Also, I don't want to have to go through customs just to get some delicious smoked meat and icewine.

Deku

Banned
BladeWorker said:
I'm from Toronto, and a Leafs fan.

If not for Quebec, and specifically Montreal, I'd have to stay up really really late to watch the hockey playoffs.

Also, I don't want to have to go through customs just to get some delicious smoked meat and icewine.

I think sovereigntists would be fine with a customers union with Canada. In fact it is probably an essential economic plank otherwise they'd have to ask for the Americans to take them in.

Draff

Ether_Snake said:
The Canadian government will give 4 billion to Newfoundland to compete with Hydro Quebec, that means using our tax dollars to compete with ourselves when it never financed HQ, the Canadian government is not giving us the 2 billion for the tax harmonization that it has given the rest of Canada, and so on and so forth. We have been paying for the rest of Canada's growth with our taxes since forever, so don't pretend we're the ones who will lose something. Our money is paying for the development of oil sands in Alberta, it could go back to fund our own energetic development. We have everything to gain. We won't go bankrupt, everything checks and clicks.

You do realize that a lot of multinational corporations moved their headquarters to Ontario because of language laws. This is part of the reason why Toronto outgrew Montreal over the past few decades.

I'm very curious about about your portrayal of Quebec finances. Do you have any data that shows that there has been a net transfer of money out of Quebec into the rest of Canada? Last year, Quebec received $8 billion in equalization payments alone. That's more than half of the pot.

Ether_Snake said:

Yeah forget about all the equalization payments Quebec has been receiving for years, if Quebec is such a "have" province it wouldn't be receiving the most out of all of the provinces, you're not financing shit with your taxes, you can take your taxes and the rest of us can save ourselves from having to fund all your programs, just go ahead and separate already.

Draff said:
You do realize that a lot of multinational corporations moved their headquarters to Ontario because of language laws. This is part of the reason why Toronto outgrew Montreal over the past few decades.

I'm very curious about about your portrayal of Quebec finances. Do you have any data that shows that there has been a net transfer of money out of Quebec into the rest of Canada? Last year, Quebec received $8 billion in equalization payments alone. That's more than half of the pot.
my dad says this:
Mayor Jean Drapeau built Montreal,
Rene Levesque built Toronto

meaning that Levesque's 80 Referendum pushed so many business to flee to Toronto

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MalboroRed said:
Yeah forget about all the equalization payments Quebec has been receiving for years, if Quebec is such a "have" province it wouldn't be receiving the most out of all of the provinces, you're not financing shit with your taxes, you can take your taxes and the rest of us can save ourselves from having to fund all your programs, just go ahead and separate already.

Until Ontario was added, per-capita we are the province that receives the lowest share of of equalization payments.

PE: $2,422
NS: $1,672
NB: $2,257
QC: $1,071
ON: $27
MB: $1,700

You pretend that we get our proper share in the rest of the budget to make the half-truth claim that we get more than we deserve with equalization payments. For Defense, we get only 15% of the budget. For First Nations, we get only 9%. Fishing, 11% of the four billions. For agriculture, 11% of the 6 billions. We have 0% for the development of the Agence de développement des maritimes, and zero for l’Agence de développement de l’Ouest.

Meanwhile we have to finance Hydro Quebec ourselves but the fed will give 4B to NL so they can sell their electricity to the US. Yet that money includes our money we pay in taxes. So we are paying to compete against ourselves to finance something through the federal government for NL that we had to pay for ourselves from A to Z.

This is just the tip of the iceberg really.

Deku

Banned
At Issue Panel Bonus twitter Q&A

Today's broadcast of course will be made available tomorrow morning. I thought the discussion they had more or less reflected things discussed in this thread.

firehawk12 said:
Old news? Iggy got a job teaching at UofT.

Yeah he got the offer today.

Actually, CBC has a great piece giving a bit of background. The Munk Centre had offered him another position last year and the Liberals shot it down as Ignatieff still wanted to be Prime Minister.

But it's good that someone who failed at an election can get a job right away in this economy.
I kid I kid

Ether_Snake said:
Until Ontario was added, per-capita we are the province that receives the lowest share of of equalization payments.

PE: $2,422
NS: $1,672
NB: $2,257
QC: $1,071
ON: $27
MB: $1,700

You pretend that we get our proper share in the rest of the budget to make the half-truth claim that we get more than we deserve with equalization payments. For Defense, we get only 15% of the budget. For First Nations, we get only 9%. Fishing, 11% of the four billions. For agriculture, 11% of the 6 billions. We have 0% for the development of the Agence de développement des maritimes, and zero for l’Agence de développement de l’Ouest.

Meanwhile we have to finance Hydro Quebec ourselves but the fed will give 4B to NL so they can sell their electricity to the US. Yet that money includes our money we pay in taxes. So we are paying to compete against ourselves to finance something through the federal government for NL that we had to pay for ourselves from A to Z.

This is just the tip of the iceberg really.

God forbid you get fewer handouts "per capita" than the smaller east coast provinces surviving on seasonal industries, the fact that Ontario received fewer handouts and Alberta receiving none, and you're bitching about Quebec not getting enough pretty much says it all about the ridiculousness of the notion that Quebec is somehow financing the rest of Canada.

Like I said, go ahead and hold another referendum, let's see what happens when we cut you off completely.

firehawk12 said:
Hah, the abortion issue came up again.

I can't believe I agree with Coyne on this issue, even though I generally disagree with him.

Harper is too much of a pragmatist to even touch the abortion issue but I agree with Coyne that it should be debated, let people have their voice and LET THE MAJORITY WIN OUT, that's how democracy works.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MalboroRed said:
Harper is too much of a pragmatist to even touch the abortion issue but I agree with Coyne that it should be debated, let people have their voice and LET THE MAJORITY WIN OUT, that's how democracy works.
It'd be a great way to also crap on the Liberal party since I'm sure some of them would vote to criminalize abortion. And who knows how many of these new NDP members might have crazy ideas about abortion either?

Coyne also keeps insisting that the Liberals will never merge with the NDP. Well, the reality is that either something happens or both parties will end up fighting for official opposition status next time around.

firehawk12 said:
It'd be a great way to also crap on the Liberal party since I'm sure some of them would vote to criminalize abortion. And who knows how many of these new NDP members might have crazy ideas about abortion either?

Coyne also keeps insisting that the Liberals will never merge with the NDP. Well, the reality is that either something happens or both parties will end up fighting for official opposition status next time around.

I think there are two camps, you'll have the centrist liberals refusing to merge to preserve the party and leftists and opportunists like Bob Rae who would love to merge given Layton is suffering from prostate cancer and might be on borrowed time and he can essentially take over the party as the leader of the opposition while someone like Justin Trudeau might not be as comfortable in a party that isn't daddy's, a party that might not be so eager to groom him like a crown prince.

I don't think right now is a good time to merge for the Liberals because the NDP side would have way too much leverage and their popularity right now is way too inflated as their sweep of Quebec might very well be a huge fluke.

i find the thing about Ruth Ellen Rousseau to be hilarious;

don't blame the candidate if she wins by 6000 votes; blame the voters.

this exposers voters to be compeltely badly informed and exposes them for not knowing what they are voting for..epecially Quebeckes.

if a clown runs for MP and wins by a large count; then the clown won. Democracy = Democracy

the NDP didn't expect to win as big as they did and like ALL parties; they usually fill up ''UN-Winnable'' ridings with lamp-post candidates

but when these actually win LOL .. hey that's democracy. You voted for that, that's what you got

people wanting her to resign should SHUT THE FUCK UP and only blame themselves.

Get informed BEFORE voting, not after

Ruth Ellen Rousseau got elected, and that's democracy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They voted for Jack Layton, not for the candidate in their riding. Any of these people coming out and saying how shocked they are were terrible and uninformed voters.

Deku

Banned
firehawk12 said:

They go more into that in the proper At Issue which should be up now.

Likely old news, but I was disappointed when the clock struck 7:00PM on Monday and then we immediately saw the Conservatives with over 100 seats. I guess elections aren't terribly dramatic.

Deku

Banned
Lone_Prodigy said:
Likely old news, but I was disappointed when the clock struck 7:00PM on Monday and then we immediately saw the Conservatives with over 100 seats. I guess elections aren't terribly dramatic.

Welcome to Monday at 7:01 pm.

Azih

Ether_Snake said:
Um, Alberta and BC don't get anything and the 27 bucks Ontario gets is crazy pathetic.

Wouldn't you say that it is ON, BC, and AB that finance other parts of the country through their taxes, not QC?

Socreges

Banned
Really sounds like Quebec elected some pretty shitty NDP MPs.

I've got nothing against Quebec, nor the NDP. I'm just surprised by the series of mini-scandals in just a few days.

Socreges said:
Really sounds like Quebec elected some pretty shitty NDP MPs.

I've got nothing against Quebec, nor the NDP. I'm just surprised by the series of mini-scandals in just a few days.

I'm frankly baffled by the fact that the NDP didn't even try to stick a cardboard cut-out or somebody's pet dog on the ballot in a Quebec riding, because it might have won.

maharg

idspispopd
Pretty sure any of them that want to get a pension will have to work their asses off to get re-nominated, let alone re-elected in the 2015 election. Takes 6 years to kick in.

maharg said:
Pretty sure any of them that want to get a pension will have to work their asses off to get re-nominated, let alone re-elected in the 2015 election. Takes 6 years to kick in.

I read in the national post that they get severance pay for being kicked out of office, either way it's going to be pretty sweet, all for doing jack shit.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
maharg said:

I thought it was even shorter, not requiring a full term. 6 years would be more justified..

I firmly believe that the media is overflowing this since this is a slow news week since the campaign shut down.

Denis Coderre is a total moron for making a complaint against Ruth Ellen Rousseau.

I'm a traditional Liberal and i hate Coderre; he is an inflated controversy chaser and has it super easy sitting an traditional Liberal riding populated by Italian-Canadians.

fuck Denis Coderre and he better stay out of the leadership race

Ruth Ellen Rousseau was democratically elected and deserves it; you just don't win by 6000+ votes as a fluke. She won; who cares if she is a n00b; that's democracy

first interview with her:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-nouvel...2_acc-manchettes-dimanche_369233_accueil_POS2

sound link included

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Deku said:
They go more into that in the proper At Issue which should be up now.
Yeah, I saw that soon after. I dunno, as much power that the NDP have now, they must know it's fleeting. I just don't want to live in a country that will have had 15+ years of Conservative rule just because of a crappy opposition.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
gutter_trash said:
I firmly believe that the media is overflowing this since this is a slow news week since the campaign shut down.

Denis Coderre is a total moron for making a complaint against Ruth Ellen Rousseau.

I'm a traditional Liberal and i hate Coderre; he is an inflated controversy chaser and has it super easy sitting an traditional Liberal riding populated by Italian-Canadians.

fuck Denis Coderre and he better stay out of the leadership race

Ruth Ellen Rousseau was democratically elected and deserves it; you just don't win by 6000+ votes as a fluke. She won; who cares if she is a n00b; that's democracy

first interview with her:
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-nouvel...2_acc-manchettes-dimanche_369233_accueil_POS2

sound link included

Another photo too. It's really coming together for her now.

ROeL6.jpg

Deku

Banned
Former Conservative Liberal MP John Manley, now CEO of the Canadian Council of Chief Executives talks about Healthcare, privatization, Telecom liberalization and the LPC.

Link

Deku

Banned
gutter_trash said:
what a corporate sell out with a pudgy face

He's centre right and has always been. I've always liked him. It's pretty amazing what people tolerated when there is Liberal paint :)

He was Finance Minister, Foreign Affairs minister and Deputy Prime Minister in his time under the old Chretien coalition.

The faux strikeout conservative bit is if this came from a Conservative candidate, he would be criticized unfairly for being far right.

Deku said:
He's centre right and has always been. I've always liked him. It's pretty amazing what people tolerated when there is Liberal paint :)

He was Finance Minister, Foreign Affairs minister and Deputy Prime Minister in his time under the old Chretien coalition.

The faux strikeout conservative bit is if this came from a Conservative candidate, he would be criticized unfairly for being far right.
I liked the part where he talked about the federal government not knowing beans about how to run health care.

demonstrated a lucid understanding of the federal role in health care - setting the national priorities, not the process rites - not heard for years.

dragonfart28 said:
Just wanted to post about a Canadian forum in here:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/

It's a pretty good alternative to the OT, especially regarding politics.
I'll have to spend a little bit more time browsing there, but the gun control thread made me want to vomit.

Pardon me for believing that things that have no purpose other than killing should be heavily restricted, and the more dangerous of the lot banned altogether for the general population.

BladeWorker said:
I'll have to spend a little bit more time browsing there, but the gun control thread made me want to vomit.

Pardon me for believing that things that have no purpose other than killing should be heavily restricted, and the more dangerous of the lot banned altogether for the general population.

Yea, it has its share of crazy conservatives but I have a feeling it's the most widely viewed public Canadian forum and that holds a lot of sway. That's why we need some gaffers in there. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, I haven't been paying attention but the massive LibDem defeat in the UK has me a bit worried about what will happen to the NDP down the line. Of course, the dynamics are different, but now I'm starting to have a feeling that there's nowhere to go but down for them now.

Of course, the massive defeat of AV is disappointing as well.

Oh yeah, the fact that the SNP won is also kind of interesting as well... especially since people think a PQ victory in Quebec is almost assured next time around. Both countries will be going through separation/independence pains in the coming years, surely.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
firehawk12 said:
Man, I haven't been paying attention but the massive LibDem defeat in the UK has me a bit worried about what will happen to the NDP down the line. Of course, the dynamics are different, but now I'm starting to have a feeling that there's nowhere to go but down for them now.

Of course, the massive defeat of AV is disappointing as well.

Liberals will go to the right to get back Conservative votes. NDP will lose a few seats at least in the next elections as a result, maybe even a return of the Bloc. Which means Conservative minority in four years (or worst, majority), and then potentially a coalition.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Where do the Liberals come back from though? They don't really have a base to build on, even if they decide to lean on John Manley/Paul Martin Liberals.

But really, I just have a feeling that the protest vote won't last. It took a little over a year for the LibDems to lose all the support they gained and chances are they're going to become irrelevant again after the next election... and that's with their party as part of the government. In official opposition, the NDP are even more irrelevant. Although I guess Quebec should be used to that after a couple of decades of the Bloc. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom