• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

jzbluz

New sale is out! http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/09/holiday-sale-week-2-of-game-and-movie-discounts/

Valiant Hearts for 7.49$! Been waiting for this for a while! Suikoden II is also coming out today, looks like 5.99$ so far if it's not an error!

I think I'll bite for Valiant Hearts.

Magical Beat is on sale. I sure wish Arc System Works US would get their shit together and allow us dirty Canadians to buy it.

I wanna rage.

Dazzler

If any Vancouver bros want to sell their Destiny on PS4, I'm looking to pick it back up to play the new content

was a bit hasty selling it

Joeku

Freedom Cry is great for two reasons: the subject matter is a great talking piece, and compressing the Assassin's Creed formula to a 10-12 hour thing works so much better than the long-ass collectathons of full releases.

I'm in Ontario. Tried trading it in Target but I didn't know they only take games in America

$25 ain't bad, perhaps I should give it a go on Kijiji as well

Don't know if you have Microplay around you but they always give me the best price in Quebec. Can call them if you have one.

On Kijiji you could try 40$ and maybe get offers for your price or some at 35$. It goes for 40-45$ on Kijiji here, not sure how saturated the market is on your region's Kijiji.

Lexxism

How's there shipping compared to entertainment earth
Sorry, no idea.

Yeah, I guess I missed that one lol. But amazon's 3 games bundle for $449 is not looking too shabby right now. Do you think we get something better this year?

IMO, there's a slim chance retailers will drop the price to 399.99 + two games this coming Boxing Day but who knows. I guess better hold for this coming Boxing day if there will be any good deal or if RCSS will do again the no tax + two games for PS4. Or they might even add another game on it like what most retailers are doing right now with PS4.

WALL OF SHAME FROM THE LAST THREAD

Lexxus 657
ohlawd 600
zroid 571
MrBambinoDent 512
i-Jest 449
sweetvar26 445
Sora_N 369
firehawk12 366
DoctorWho 299
Returners 292

Also thread #4 was started in March and it didn't even last a year.

What a spammer I was in the last thread. To think I rarely complains with my shipping.

Mhee123

Neo Member
So is arcademy still a thing?

I'm one of the few who still goes there. Used to do the community podcast, but that imploded quickly. The IRC group still exists and we talk pretty much daily. It may be small, but I don't regret staying. Made some great friends for life. I still have hope things get better, but that's just me.

Congrats on the 5th Thread. Lets make some DEALS!

curb

Banned
Ignore me :)

s640x480-1.jpg

Sorry, I'm just having a moment of missing Venture Bros.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Deal on PSN

Add $60 to your SEN wallet w/ PayPal and get $10 in PS Store credit at a later date! Good until the 16th.

Think there's a chance we'll get a Playstation Plus deal on Boxing Day? I need to renew my PS+ sub by january and I'm looking for a deal on it, so this Paypal thing might be better than nothing, but I'm hoping for $30 subscriptions like last year...

Deal on PSN

Add $60 to your SEN wallet w/ PayPal and get $10 in PS Store credit at a later date! Good until the 16th.

I'll probably do this right before its done, so the 15th. I'm still kinda hoping Drive Club goes on sale anywhere to be honest. I hope it drops to at least 35-40 like in the US but I also kinda doubt it will.

Anyone in Canada able to add Suikoden II to their cart? I can't on the website and I can't on my PS3... Error message everytime. US people seems to be buying it no problem.

espher

Anyone in Canada able to add Suikoden II to their cart? I can't on the website and I can't on my PS3... Error message everytime. US people seems to be buying it no problem.

Down to fix the pricing issue. I bought it from work a few hours ago without incident.

Unrelated: iso a Villager amiibo, doesn't need to be sealed/in great shape (I want to use it), so if anyone happens to find one and isn't scalping let me know. If I get no bites I'm just going to drop the $30 and import via Play Asia.

Down to fix the pricing issue. I bought it from work a few hours ago without incident.

Unrelated: iso a Villager amiibo, doesn't need to be sealed/in great shape (I want to use it), so if anyone happens to find one and isn't scalping let me know. If I get no bites I'm just going to drop the $30 and import via Play Asia.

Would not let me buy it the second it popped at 5.99$ earlier and it still does not now since it's back and at 9.99$...

Edit: and Valiant Hearts shows up at 7.49$ in the store, 8.99$ in my cart and tries to charge me 14.99 on checkout. Am I alone in some sort of twilight zone?

Would not let me buy it the second it popped at 5.99$ earlier and it still does not now since it's back and at 9.99$...

Edit: and Valiant Hearts shows up at 7.49$ in the store, 8.99$ in my cart and tries to charge me 14.99 on checkout. Am I alone in some sort of twilight zone?
I just purchased Suiko II no problem. The PSN store in general is acting kinda wonky though.

i-Lo

As for the paypal deal, can I just add CAD $60 to my wallet w/o spending it on anything and still be eligible?

Also, Sony's site doesn't allow me to add exact "$60" rather the denominations are $5,10,25,50 and a last one much higher. So can I do it as two separate transfers of $50 and $10?

i-Jest

Not sure if this has been posted already, but NCIX has Driveclub (PS4) on sale for $39.99. Link

I'll probably do this right before its done, so the 15th. I'm still kinda hoping Drive Club goes on sale anywhere to be honest. I hope it drops to at least 35-40 like in the US but I also kinda doubt it will.

Not quite what you want but we'll probably have to wait a little while longer to see the $35 range.

Lexxism

As for the paypal deal, can I just add CAD $60 to my wallet w/o spending it on anything and still be eligible?

Also, Sony's site doesn't allow me to add exact "$60" rather the denominations are $5,10,25,50 and a last one much higher. So can I do it as two separate transfers of $50 and $10?

The fine print didn't say you need to spend it. You just need to add funds of $60 and more during the promo period to get the $10 code.

Yes. You can do that. Because if not, this will make this whole promo pointless.

i-Lo

The fine print didn't say you need to spend it. You just need to add funds of $60 and more during the promo period to get the $10 code.

Yes. You can do that. Because if not, this will make this whole promo pointless.

Thanks.

akGCO47

Banned
What are the chances PS4 drops to $399 this holiday? Hilarious that on black Friday xbone was a $100 cheaper than ps4 -.-

antibolo

Banned

I heard they pulled it from the store because the $6 price was an error, it was supposed to be $10.

I heard they pulled it from the store because the $6 price was an error, it was supposed to be $10.

Been back for a while at 9.99$. Looks like everyone is downloading it in the Suikoden II topic. I found one other person with the same problem. Just weird that I have this problem and a PS+ problem at the same time.

So I am looking at EB's $10+ game list. List

Some of these games are pretty old, so the trade 3 for $70 towards select titles seems like a good deal. If I do the trade in, do I have to pay tax on the game? I was thinking of Dragon Age, because I hear it is pretty good, even though it may not be my type of RPG. The games that I have to trade are:

Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2 - PS3 (This is still worth $10+...)
Game & Wario (I bought this for like $12)
Mario & Sonic Olympics 2014 (Bought for $12 or so)
Paper Mario Sticker Star (Shit game is shit)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (This is still worth $10+ and I did a T1 for it at FS years ago)

So, is it a good deal to trade in 3 of these games? The first three are probably worth the least in value, so I am leaning towards those if I do trade.

They also have a trade 3/4/5 $8+ games for a $50/$75/$100 gift card. The additional games I have on that list are: List

Disgaea 3 - Vita (Lol, this is on the list... I have it from PS+, too)
Infamous Second Son (This goes for like $30 MSRP, and $15-20 on sale)
Mario Golf World Tour (I traded in one of the free games from FS last year to EB, but I don't know its used value)
Nintendo Land (Bought for $10 brand new, already own a copy, still in package)
Plants vs. Zombies GW - PS4 (Got for $28 at launch, then price protected at $20, and now free. No one has offered me anything for it on Kijiji and it has been up since Saturday)

So is there a way for me to maximize my value, assuming these deals are actually good. I was thinking the first three games on the $10 list for Dragon Age (if it is good), and then Disgaea, Nintendo Land, PvZ, and up to 2 more for the gift card, if it is worth it.

Something to add to the OP:

Shoppers Drug Mart
Pros
Games are occasionally cleared out for $19.99 and usually nation-wide, lots of locations, if you use promotions when earning and redeeming points, you can get about 30-40% off anything.
Example: Buy an XBOX One for $400 during a 20x event.
Points earned: 4000x20 = 80000.
80000 is 84% of the max redemption value of 95000.
84% of a bonus redemption event ($210) is $176.84, about 40% (in points) of the original $400+tax price.

Cons
Stock is spotty, no online stock checker, their return policy is poor, they rarely update price labels, they don't price match.

Target
Relatively new to the Canadian scene, they had growing pains but seem to be doing better lately.

Pros
Pretty competitive sales, price match, Red Card stacks with price-match and gives 5% off everything (even prepaid cards), clearances that can hit 70% off

Cons
No online store, clearances are store-specific, some stores don't price-match other locations, still some stock issues, questionable locations (a consequence of taking over defunct Zellers)

Amazon.ca

Like Amazon.com, but worse.

Pros
They price-match most other retailer sales which mean you can shop from home. They're Target's unofficial online store.

Cons
They're slow with shipping.

Toys R Us
They used to do Buy 2 Get One Free, but haven't for some time.

Pros
They have an online store and they price-match.

Cons
Poor sales, online store has limited stock.

Wal-Mart
Not as good as the American version, but they're pretty solid.

Pros
Free shipping on most products online, they price-match, sales are competitive, they get some exclusive products.

Cons
Website has bugs, it's Wal-Mart.

Future Shop and Best Buy
They're owned by the same company and almost always have the same sales (they were probably tired of people price-matching against each other). Pretty much the only other trade-in alternative to EB.

Pros
Future Shop has steelbooks, Best Buy has Reward Zone points, they actually price beat instead of just matching, some exclusive products, online store sells everything under the sun, E3 promotion.

Cons
Trade-in glory days are long gone, shipping times are hit-and-miss.

The Source
How do they stay in business?

Pros
Some decent sales, online store isn't bad, free shipping to store, they do some deep clearances, they do trade-ins (still?)

Cons
You can't step foot in one without someone trying to sell you a Bell phone, slow shipping.

EB Games
Give them credit, they outlasted their trade-in competitors.

Pros
Online shipping times are fast, the occasional trade-in promo, trades are tax-free (if applied to a product right away) they carry exclusive and niche products, arguably the largest game inventory.

Cons
They don't price-match, their prices suck, their trade-in values suck, their need to push disc guarantees sucks, their employees occasionally suck, their gutted "new" games suck.

Shop.ca
Online-only retailer. Known for stacking codes and promos on regular-priced items.

Pros
Free shipping on everything.

Cons
Shipping is iffy, customer service is poor, return policy is spotty, inventory isn't great.

Chapters Indigo
Their website sells games.

Pros
If you can find a code that works on games, it's a deal.

Cons
Codes usually exclude games.

Gone but not forgotten
Rogers Video, Blockbuster

-Deimos

^ Nice addition but kind of hard to read. Maybe:

Shoppers Drug Mart
Pros: Games are occasionally cleared out for $19.99 and usually nation-wide, lots of locations, if you use promotions when earning and redeeming points, you can get about 30-40% off anything.
Example: Buy an XBOX One for $400 during a 20x event.
Points earned: 4000x20 = 80000.
80000 is 84% of the max redemption value of 95000.
84% of a bonus redemption event ($210) is $176.84, about 40% (in points) of the original $400+tax price.

Cons: Stock is spotty, no online stock checker, their return policy is poor, they rarely update price labels, they don't price match.

Target
Relatively new to the Canadian scene, they had growing pains but seem to be doing better lately.
Pros: Pretty competitive sales, price match, Red Card stacks with price-match and gives 5% off everything (even prepaid cards), clearances that can hit 70% off

Cons: No online store, clearances are store-specific, some stores don't price-match other locations, still some stock issues, questionable locations (a consequence of taking over defunct Zellers)

Amazon.ca

Like Amazon.com, but worse.
Pros: They price-match most other retailer sales which mean you can shop from home. They're Target's unofficial online store.

Cons: They're slow with shipping.

Toys R Us
They used to do Buy 2 Get One Free, but haven't for some time.
Pros: They have an online store and they price-match.

Cons: Poor sales, online store has limited stock.

Wal-Mart
Not as good as the American version, but they're pretty solid.
Pros: Free shipping on most products online, they price-match, sales are competitive, they get some exclusive products.

Cons: Website has bugs, it's Wal-Mart.

Future Shop and Best Buy
They're owned by the same company and almost always have the same sales (they were probably tired of people price-matching against each other). Pretty much the only other trade-in alternative to EB.
Pros: Future Shop has steelbooks, Best Buy has Reward Zone points, they actually price beat instead of just matching, some exclusive products, online store sells everything under the sun, E3 promotion.

Cons: Trade-in glory days are long gone, shipping times are hit-and-miss.

The Source
How do they stay in business?
Pros:Some decent sales, online store isn't bad, free shipping to store, they do some deep clearances, they do trade-ins (still?)

Cons:You can't step foot in one without someone trying to sell you a Bell phone, slow shipping.

EB Games
Give them credit, they outlasted their trade-in competitors.
Pros: Online shipping times are fast, the occasional trade-in promo, trades are tax-free (if applied to a product right away) they carry exclusive and niche products, arguably the largest game inventory.

Cons: They don't price-match, their prices suck, their trade-in values suck, their need to push disc guarantees sucks, their employees occasionally suck, their gutted "new" games suck.

Shop.ca
Online-only retailer. Known for stacking codes and promos on regular-priced items.
Pros: Free shipping on everything.

Cons: Shipping is iffy, customer service is poor, return policy is spotty, inventory isn't great.

Chapters Indigo
Their website sells games.
Pros: If you can find a code that works on games, it's a deal.

Cons: Codes usually exclude games.

Gone but not forgotten
Rogers Video, Blockbuster

FrsDvl

Target in Mill Woods town centre(Edmonton) has some games on clearance. Mostly Xbox 360, some ps3 and like 2 Xbox One games. Can't remember which titles there were, except for Xbox One which were Amazing Spider Man 2 for 54 and Project Spark for 27 I believe. Not great pricing on that.

Amazing summary. Although I think Amazon.ca isn't too bad with shipping, it's just the new releases and extremely stock limited items that get "delayed" out of the warehouse. People ordering the game a month later would probably get it before your preorder copy leaves, hah.

New thread and I have nothing shipping so I can't even really add to that discussion. =|

kennah

Lol. Just had this conversation with my wife.

Her: "Can we get Little Big Planet 3?"
Me: *excitedly* Sure!
Her: "...What's the catch..."

We only have a PS3

Edit: I"m dumb. I thought it was PS4 Exclusive.

UberTag

Lol. Just had this conversation with my wife.

Her: "Can we get Little Big Planet 3?"
Me: *excitedly* Sure!
Her: "...What's the catch..."

We only have a PS3

Edit: I"m dumb. I thought it was PS4 Exclusive.
But does SHE know it's not PS4-exclusive? Perhaps you still have your "in".

Lizardus

Anyone keeping an eye out on amiibos from BB, EBgames and Amazon?

Some that are up for pre-order in US aren't even here in Canada yet (Lucario, Shulk etc)

Roto13

Regarding Best Buy's fucked up Theatrhythm release date.

After filling out their online form three times and getting no response, and finally calling in (and getting disconnected and calling in again) they told me that the release date is just listed as December 31st in their servers and that wasn't going to change and they just can't send it to me despite the fact that it has been out for three months. "Where are you getting the information that it has been out since September?" GameFAQs, Wikipedia, Amazon, EB Games, literally any store that sells video games where you can just walk in and buy it right now.

So that's cancelled. Fuckers.

So I am looking at EB's $10+ game list. List

Some of these games are pretty old, so the trade 3 for $70 towards select titles seems like a good deal. If I do the trade in, do I have to pay tax on the game? I was thinking of Dragon Age, because I hear it is pretty good, even though it may not be my type of RPG. The games that I have to trade are:

Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2 - PS3 (This is still worth $10+...)
Game & Wario (I bought this for like $12)
Mario & Sonic Olympics 2014 (Bought for $12 or so)
Paper Mario Sticker Star (Shit game is shit)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (This is still worth $10+ and I did a T1 for it at FS years ago)

So, is it a good deal to trade in 3 of these games? The first three are probably worth the least in value, so I am leaning towards those if I do trade.

They also have a trade 3/4/5 $8+ games for a $50/$75/$100 gift card. The additional games I have on that list are: List

Disgaea 3 - Vita (Lol, this is on the list... I have it from PS+, too)
Infamous Second Son (This goes for like $30 MSRP, and $15-20 on sale)
Mario Golf World Tour (I traded in one of the free games from FS last year to EB, but I don't know its used value)
Nintendo Land (Bought for $10 brand new, already own a copy, still in package)
Plants vs. Zombies GW - PS4 (Got for $28 at launch, then price protected at $20, and now free. No one has offered me anything for it on Kijiji and it has been up since Saturday)

So is there a way for me to maximize my value, assuming these deals are actually good. I was thinking the first three games on the $10 list for Dragon Age (if it is good), and then Disgaea, Nintendo Land, PvZ, and up to 2 more for the gift card, if it is worth it.

Might as well take advantage of the offers. They're good deals. A lot of older games are on the lists, too.

Top Bottom