• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be finally time to pick up Axiom Verge and/or Shadow Complex Remastered. Then again, maybe I shouldn't buy any new games and just play something from my massive backlog.

Stat!

Binding of issac is a bit pricy compared to othe rplatforms but it is a pretty great game on the go. though based on your pic, you may have played it to death already.

To say I've played BoI to death would be unfair to death.

I might get a first run copy for collector's sake but Ive playe BoI so much that Im not sure I would play it on the Switch.

What about Switch cases/screen protectors?

Tapejara

I wouldn't rush out to buy anything from the PSN flash sale just yet. Sony usually sends out the "[username] see what's new this week!" emails on Fridays, and they usually include a discount code if it coincides with a flash sale. If your PSN account has email preferences turned on I'd wait a few hours just in case.

Question. Is HDMI 2.0 able to feed better quality to an Elgato HD60 than the typical ones? On top of that, would the >27gbps ones by Monster be even better?

I'm hoping to get perfect-quality screens on mine for Switch games. Right now I just use the HDMI cable that came with the Switch (might be HDMI 1.4, not sure).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks. :)

Question. Is HDMI 2.0 able to feed better quality to an Elgato HD60 than the typical ones? On top of that, would the >27gbps ones by Monster be even better?

I'm hoping to get perfect-quality screens on mine for Switch games. Right now I just use the HDMI cable that came with the Switch (might be HDMI 1.4, not sure).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks. :)

The "quality" of your digital video signal should not be changed by either HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4 driving speed. A good cable 1.4 or 2.0 will yield the same result, regardless. There *might* be no differences at very long cable length (5+ meters).

Huh. That was too easy, even after 30 minutes. I was hoping it bounce me out but the payment went through... It's still in stock.

What the hell am I doing?!

I ordered my Switch from EB Games last week (thanks much to leeman for the link! I've been loving it so far!) and I grabbed it maybe 20-30 minutes after he posted it. It seems like things are starting to level out. With Mario Kart, Nintendo probably were making a bigger effort to get good-sized shipments out, so either they're finally catching up to the demand or the scalpers are losing interest, heh.

The "quality" of your digital video signal should not be changed by either HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4 driving speed. A good cable 1.4 or 2.0 will yield the same result, regardless. There *might* be no differences at very long cable length (5+ meters).

The lengths are likely 4ft, it's short. The screens I take show some artifacts and blur in some lines even when I snap a native 1080p pic of a 2D pixel game (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse) with the best quality setting.

Thanks! As someone who doesn't subscribe to Live Gold/doesn't play multiplayer, I'm trying to determine if the single player campaign is worth $15.

I'm about to start Halo 2 in the MCC. First time through the Halo series.

The campaign is fun. I really enjoyed it and am thinking of doing another playthrough.

N° 2048

I wouldn't rush out to buy anything from the PSN flash sale just yet. Sony usually sends out the "[username] see what's new this week!" emails on Fridays, and they usually include a discount code if it coincides with a flash sale. If your PSN account has email preferences turned on I'd wait a few hours just in case.

I have never, ever, gotten any discount codes via email during a flash sale.

shezbot

DEAL

EB Games has Spyro & Cortex Skylanders Imaginator figure pack for $29.99 (instead of $39.99) if interested. They also have the Bloom figure pack as well (same price). Any Super Charger vehicles are $4.99

etta

my hard graphic balls
Anyone know if it's possible to purchase with financing online for Best Buy? They don't have the X900E in stock anywhere, only online.

Anyone know if it's possible to purchase with financing online for Best Buy? They don't have the X900E in stock anywhere, only online.

I bought the X900E and it didn't give me an option for that from what I remember. Just the warranty.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I bought the X900E and it didn't give me an option for that from what I remember. Just the warranty.
Hmmmmm, splurge $1900 or get it on a 12-month plan...

How is it by the way? From what impressions I'm seeing, blacks are inky as hell, comparable with some OLED even.
You try any HDR games on it?

Got my son a Switch in store at EB today from the restock.

I got the official Nintendo case that came with a screen protector when I got mine at launch. But that is sold out. What's the best screen protector? Something off Amazon with Prime shipping would be best.

Got my son a Switch in store at EB today from the restock.

I got the official Nintendo case that came with a screen protector when I got mine at launch. But that is sold out. What's the best screen protector? Something off Amazon with Prime shipping would be best.

Orzly tempered glass screen protectors. You get two in a pack and mine was hassle free to put on using the hinge method.

jaybe00

Neo Member
Thanks! As someone who doesn't subscribe to Live Gold/doesn't play multiplayer, I'm trying to determine if the single player campaign is worth $15.

I couldn't get through it. Thought it was trash. If you resell games you don't like then, at least you have that option with physical. Unfortunately, I bought it digital.

At below 4K it doesn't matter between 1.4 and 2.0.

Yeah but don't forget, I'm most concerned about screenshot and getting perfection out of it. I feel like it might be the HDMI cable not being top of the line. Since as I said, it's got artifacts and the colors at times look blurred out when you zoom in them.

Also I am getting a 4K TV really soon (but no 4K content), so I would think 1080p and below content should benefit from a 2.0 cable on it, no?

Edit: See this Shantae screen I took:

shantaeandthepiratesc5jsqr.png

Highest setting I can use, and it's still not perfect. Looks great when you look at it normally, but you see the faults when zooming in, almost as if it were a jpg image (the image it self is png of course).

I don't mind it as is, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to video/picture quality. :p

kaiyo

Yeah but don't forget, I'm most concerned about screenshot and getting perfection out of it. I feel like it might be the HDMI cable not being top of the line. Since as I said, it's got artifacts and the colors at times look blurred out when you zoom in them.

Also I am getting a 4K TV really soon (but no 4K content), so I would think 1080p and below content should benefit from a 2.0 cable on it, no?

Edit: See this Shantae screen I took:

Highest setting I can use, and it's still not perfect. Looks great when you look at it normally, but you see the faults when zooming in, almost as if it were a jpg image (the image it self is png of course).

I don't mind it as is, I'm just a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to video/picture quality. :p
Screen shots are taken before going through the hdmi

Screen shots are taken before going through the hdmi

In the Elgato? How? The Elgato is seeing the image that the console passes to it via HDMI, right? There's two HDMI cables; one that brings the image from the console, into the Elgato. The second takes that image and goes from the Elgato, into the TV for you to see it.

It's the first one I'm concerned about in this instance.

There is no such thing as hdmi 1.4 or 2.0 cables. That is the output spec and they use the same cables. As long as your hdmi cable says "high speed" it will be fine. Anything else is just a marketing gimmick.

So Minecraft Switch is 29.99, on the US as well as the CAD eShop. I'm guessing it's some kind of mistake, that's like a saving of $11 for us based on the current exchange.

So were not getting the steelbook for Wipout Omega Collection right? If not I don't think I'll get it day one, the price will probably drop and I don't expect it to go out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom