• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't get an ex from 5 year's ago out of my head

Zero7

I spoke to her for the first time in almost 5years just last week, I've dated and fucked other girls since, but nothing is the same as it was when I was with her. We had a heated argument after we broke up.

I still love her. What can I do GAF? It's kinda killing me

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Part of you will always love her, probably. Doesn't mean you need to do anything about it.

Move on, there's rarely a scenario where returning to a relationship that was already axed is a good idea. It will never be the same as it was. Listen to some Zero 7 and move on.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Life is short and it really just boils down to finding out what you want, and going for it.

Just know that neither of those things is that simple. Some people are terrible at knowing what they want. My brother is the type that could get most girls, but kept having issues because he only thought about his heart or passion, and then kept running into trust issues or other toxic elements. I suggested that he instead try picking a girl using his brain instead. I think this clicked for him, and he tried to pick someone that seemed stable and trustworthy. And they're married and have a kid now. So he didn't really know what he wanted for years. Some people let fear of loneliness cloud their judgment, but honestly that's also a good motivator to get out there too so it all cuts both ways.

If you decide to make your move, I hear girls like poetry and stuffed animals.

Prison Mike

Banned
Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

MilkyJoe

I spoke to her for the first time in almost 5years just last week, I've dated and fucked other girls since, but nothing is the same as it was when I was with her. We had a heated argument after we broke up.

Tell her how you feel, that way you'll at least know.

trikster40

You’ll never truly get them out of your head. It doesn’t mean you should get back into the relationship. Heck, I still think about a girlfriend from high school occasionally, have a dream, etc, but I’m happily married with 2 amazing kids. The thoughts will come and go like the tide, but you can be truly happy without that relationship.

Zero7

I told her I was sorry for my part in the break up and that I still love her (beta shit I know, but I had to express myself) I never begged her or cried Infront of her. I actually felt a relief in my mind.

She told me she appreciated me having the guts to say what I said.

She's apparently in an LDR with some guy who she has recently met. We all sure know they don't last.

Got my own goals and focuses in life, what will be will be I guess.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's pretty obvious that you will have to pay a call girl who looks very similar to dress and act like her so you can live out your desires. Then you will begin a slow descent into madness as the lines of fact and fiction start to blur. At one point you will start dressing and acting like your ex, while wearing the call girls wig. Please make sure to leave some cryptic clues so we can try and solve the mystery of who murdered you.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I think you should find a hobby, find a new partner who really values you.

Coming back is not the best performance if you've already had a fight and I'm telling you from experience.

You can have her as a friend but don't forget the acts that led to the argument, because generally people never change their behavior. And I tell you from experience very similar to yours.

The correct thing is that they no longer talk to the person who hurts, since unconsciously what you do is belittle yourself and consequently you make the girl raise her egocentrism and continue to have discussion and power.

Actions you can do... Delete and block her from facebook, don't look whatsapp in the social application, go on a trip or with friends, not keep up to date with what's happening on facebook, as I said, social networks also make people sick to the people.

I think the right thing is to look for more girls. She is not the only thing in the world.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I told her I was sorry for my part in the break up and that I still love her (beta shit I know, but I had to express myself) I never begged her or cried Infront of her. I actually felt a relief in my mind.

She told me she appreciated me having the guts to say what I said.

She's apparently in an LDR with some guy who she has recently met. We all sure know they don't last.

Got my own goals and focuses in life, what will be will be I guess.
What did you do that for? Urggghh 😤😤😡

If she hurt you, it's the worst thing you can do.

Moral, never apologize even if you have all the desire in the world.

The worst thing is that she is already with another person... And you will get hurt.

In a nutshell, she went on with her life.

May it serve as a lesson to you and more so in these times of social networks .

Because of what you did, now she's in control of the relationship.

Last edited:
yM634sS.jpg

Somebody queue the music!
I have to admit, many internet memes get old quickly, and a lot of them suck. But this one... This one was glorious. It was funny as hell, applicable in a lot of situations, and didn't overstay its welcome. Certainly in the running for best meme of all time.

OP, there are a lot of good women out there. Don't stay stuck in life unnecessary suffering over one that clearly wasn't worth it initially (otherwise you wouldn't have broken up), and on top of that has moved on with her life.

You've said your peace and got it off your chest, time to move on. But your sentence about her long distance relationship (sort of implying that long distance relationships don't last, and hopeful that her relationship with the dude will be broken off) is foolish and you need to let go of those thoughts ASAP. I don't mean to sound harsh, in fact we're looking out for you here. Because the following exchange:

Person A: "I'm sorry about what happened give years ago, I still love you."
Person B: "Thank you for having the guts to share that. Oh by the way I'm in a long distance thing right now."

is clearly an exchange where Person A is stuck in the past and Person B has moved on with her life. That should be your cue to move on with yours.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Literally.

That girl is not for you. And worse if they have children from their ex-partner.
You guys are probably right, but I always reject blanket generalizations for advice.

Every thread will tell you to never date at work, etc. I had multiple great relationships with people I worked with. It's basically the only way to meet people sometimes.

Every thread will tell you to never date an ex. Probably sound advice, but who knows - maybe in this case they work it out. Stranger things have happened.

Neolombax

Theres so much we dont know about this story that its hard to give any meaningful thoughts on this. But if I had to say anything about it, i'd say move on. Theres probably a reason why it ended with 0 communication in 5 years.

Heimdall_Xtreme

You guys are probably right, but I always reject blanket generalizations for advice.

Every thread will tell you to never date at work, etc. I had multiple great relationships with people I worked with. It's basically the only way to meet people sometimes.

Every thread will tell you to never date an ex. Probably sound advice, but who knows - maybe in this case they work it out. Stranger things have happened.

It is very rare but it could happen.

Although today's girls are generally weird, they return to their ex-husbands who mistreat them and the worst thing is that they put down those who really appreciate them.

Therefore, you have to be very careful.

You don't have to be responsible for carrying other people's children.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
suck it up and move on.

i get it. there was a girl i went out with in 2007 and i absolutely adored her. it took me years to get over her even though i had more girlfriends after her. i think it must've been about 2014 before i really got over her completely. i was in a relationship between 2007 and 2011 so it wasn't like i was sitting about thinking of her and feeling sorry for myself. i was getting on with things but i still thought about her sometimes and if i had the chance to get back together with her then i definitely would've went for it (if i was single ... which i wasn't). in 2012 there was a time when it felt like we could get back together but it didn't work out. we stayed as friends.

anyway she ended up having a kid and got married. i was over her by that point but now i just tell myself she doesn't exist anymore cause in a way she doesn't.

loving someone who doesn't love you back sucks but if you really love then you gotta be happy for them even if it means they are with someone else. you need to move on it and find happiness for yourself.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I have to admit, many internet memes get old quickly, and a lot of them suck. But this one... This one was glorious. It was funny as hell, applicable in a lot of situations, and didn't overstay its welcome. Certainly in the running for best meme of all time.

OP, there are a lot of good women out there. Don't stay stuck in life unnecessary suffering over one that clearly wasn't worth it initially (otherwise you wouldn't have broken up), and on top of that has moved on with her life.

You've said your peace and got it off your chest, time to move on. But your sentence about her long distance relationship (sort of implying that long distance relationships don't last, and hopeful that her relationship with the dude will be broken off) is foolish and you need to let go of those thoughts ASAP. I don't mean to sound harsh, in fact we're looking out for you here. Because the following exchange:

Person A: "I'm sorry about what happened give years ago, I still love you."
Person B: "Thank you for having the guts to share that. Oh by the way I'm in a long distance thing right now."

is clearly an exchange where Person A is stuck in the past and Person B has moved on with her life. That should be your cue to move on with yours.
Exactly... You are clever.

Not sure if I'm included in your "you guys" part of the sentence, but trust me, my (humble) advice is custom tailored to the OP's situation.

Because you're right, one can't make a harsh generalization of the superlative ("NEVER") type. BUT, there are general guides for a reason. I'm no sociologist, but by and large, in my anecdotal observations, relationships with an ex don't work. And by and large, relationships at work are not a good idea. In this day and age, a failed relationship at work with the wrong person could easily get you an express ticket to HR. I myself had an opportunity to date a woman at work who was more or less practically (and in a couple of cases, literally) throwing herself at me. But I never took the opportunity, cause this chick was kind of crazy and I didn't know what would happen if the relationship (inevitably) bombed.

I would give different advice to the OP if the chick still loved him too. But (at least from the information he's relayed so far) she has moved on in every way. A lopsided situation like that can only end in heartbreak for the OP.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Find out who he is and honey pot him.

Basically, set him up to cheat and make sure this girl knows about it as well. She'll then break up with him. You can then be the shoulder to cry on. You'll be back between her legs before you know it.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Zero7

What makes shit harder is she works in the same place as me I started the job about 3 year's ago in a factory that employs 1000+ people. I had no idea she worked there when I started, thankfully we work in different departments but still we have to see each other.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Let it go bro.
Had an ex message me during the pandemic, its been 12 years!!!
Kept it polite for a sec, then axed it real quick.

OP, appreciate the time and moments you had with her, then move on. Your future partner deserves it and so do you.

Last edited:

MachRc

You did everything your heart told you to do. Even told her you still love her.

She could have told you she is in a "relationship", instead she told you she was in a "long distance relationship"
Although I usually would say something like, "dont set yourself up for [more] failures."

Since you've already crossed the line of no return, f**k it, try to befriend her.
Try and have a relationship with her and outlast the LDR and then propose to her as you get closer and closer to her family.
like a lifetime movie.

Chances are good you are looking back on your relationship with rose-tinted glasses. Remembering only the good stuff and not the reasons why you broke up. Doesnt mean you cant still have feelings for her, but you need to remember why it didnt work out in the first place to help move on.

Alebrije

OP just do it , return to her arms....the worst tha can happen is that you break again and waste time
But at least the doubt wont be there...you could end more depressed and alone but sure about the outcome and the "What if" wont be there tormenting your mind.

Last edited:
I can only speak for myself OP, but I've noticed it tends to be the crazy ones that get stuck in my head.

The healthy relationships, I have no trouble getting over. It's the truly toxic, unhealthy relationships I struggle to get over.

YMMV.

Last edited:

ymoc

I also like the medieval version

Some of the comments are gold:

"The Queen has given birth to a daughter, Your Majesty!"
Henry VIII:

Russia in the 12th century: "No one can invade us in the winter!"
Mongols:

When your a jester in the 6th century and accidentally made a "your mom" joke to the king.

Woman: Doesn’t drown after being thrown into a lake
The Townspeople:

"I'll just jump right into Dark Souls, no tutorial needed"
Asylum demon:

Mother: 'Tis but a headache
The local herbalist: 'Tis but a headache
The Plague Doctors:

When you're an Aztec and see a ship on the horizon

Julius Caesar: Hey Brutus, what's u...
Brutus:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I can only speak for myself OP, but I've noticed it tends to be the crazy ones that get stuck in my head.

The health relationships I have no trouble getting over. It's the truly toxic, unhealthy relationships I struggle to get over.

YMMV.

Yep. My borderline ex was really hard to get over. High highs and low lows.

Top Bottom