• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't get an ex from 5 year's ago out of my head

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don't believe in speaking with ex girlfriends, we've all seen that movie where someone is trying to get back with their ex girlfriend. You move off those ex girlfriends.

Prison Mike

Banned
Grow a moustache so you can pretend to be someone else then ask her out.
Embarrassed The Office GIF by Justin

darrylgorn

I recommend you get back together and have some kids.

Then, when you guys break up, you'll know for sure if you hate her.

Last edited:
There are women that I still love to a degree and part of me misses them from time to time. I have run into this situation many times, and as a result, it led me into a toxic relationship. It's ok to acknowledge the love you still have and the good parts of that relationship, but you can't get hung up on that. Recognize that the relationship ended for a reason, and if she really does not want you, then there is nothing you can do but move on and create new memories.

I still miss my last girlfriend, but I have to keep reminding myself that we started to fight a lot and for the simplest of things. If we fought over the simple things, what would it be like for the big important issues in a relationship? It was never going to work out.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I had a dream a month or so ago where I was living with an ex of mine from highschool. I woke up and just stared at the ceiling for like 10 straight minutes just thing "fucking why though?" I hadn't thought of that bitch since I graduated. Why did I suddenly have a dream about her.

Human brains are fucking weird man.

Go_Ly_Dow

Met my first and now ex-fiancé at 26 whilst living abroad. We were together for 5 years and engaged for about 2. A month before we were about to begin our life and a few months before our wedding date, she left me.

This was only a few months ago and so I think about her everyday. I don't think I'll ever forget her even after many years given the circumstances how we met and the life we lived together. I saw the world with that girl and lived out so many of my dreams and even when we parted, it was on relatively good terms compared to most relationships that I see ending. We respect and care about each other.

Lost my best friend and the girl of my dreams and so I feel in limbo. I am sure i can meet someone else, but it'll neve be the same.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Gold Member
POF.com got you covered bro!

Now move on, before you become that creepy stalker guy that murders his ex (no one can have her if I can't have her nonsense)

Never know we might see this neogaf thread in a future episode on TV ;)

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
You guys are probably right, but I always reject blanket generalizations for advice.

Every thread will tell you to never date at work, etc. I had multiple great relationships with people I worked with. It's basically the only way to meet people sometimes.

Every thread will tell you to never date an ex. Probably sound advice, but who knows - maybe in this case they work it out. Stranger things have happened.
I’d just leave it as: “never take dating advice from GAF”

She's probably not the person you love anymore , cherish the good memories and move on.
Been there done that, it's just never the same again.

Go_Ly_Dow

So abrupt, what happened all of a sudden?

We first met and lived in Japan together for 3 years, but both eventually left at the same time to move back to our respective countries (UK for me and US for her). During 2 years long distance, we were engaged and I was able to visit her once before COVID restrictions banned me from entering the US for nearly 2 years. She was able to visit me 3 times here in the UK in that period and got to know my family and the country quite well.

All was seemingly going well and the plan was for her to move here on a permanent basis, but just before the move (after getting her visa approved) she got cold feet and said she couldn't leave her family and marriage was too big of a step for her. Marriage was the only way we could have a visa to live together and so there was no other way to continue the relationship. I also had big reservations about life in the US too and struggled to give up my comforts, family and familiarities here in the UK too.

Working out a relationship long distance is difficult and was even harder during the pandemic. As well as the choice of making a long-term move away from your country. Neither of us blames each other for the end outcome, but it still sucks and I miss her dearly.

Last edited:

plushyp

We first met and lived in Japan together for 3 years, but both eventually left at the same time to move back to our respective countries (UK for me and US for her). During 2 years long distance, we were engaged and I was able to visit her once before COVID restrictions banned me from entering the US for nearly 2 years. She was able to visit me 3 times here in the UK in that period and got to know my family and the country quite well.

All was seemingly going well and the plan was for her to move here on a permanent basis, but just before the move (after getting her visa approved) she got cold feet and said she couldn't leave her family and marriage was too big of a step for her. Marriage was the only way we could have a visa to live together and so there was no other way to continue the relationship. I also had big reservations about life in the US too and struggled to give up my comforts, family and familiarities here in the UK too.

Working out a relationship long distance is difficult and was even harder during the pandemic. As well as the choice of making a long-term move away from your country.
Oh damn, now I'm sad. Hope you feel better as time moves on and I'm glad that you two ended it on good terms at least.

///PATRIOT

Banned
I had a dream a month or so ago where I was living with an ex of mine from highschool. I woke up and just stared at the ceiling for like 10 straight minutes just thing "fucking why though?" I hadn't thought of that bitch since I graduated. Why did I suddenly have a dream about her.

Human brains are fucking weird man.
call her and tell her dream, nothing weird about it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's traditionally always taken me about as long to get over a relationship internally as I spent *in* the relationship. Which is cool beans for little nothing flings that last week's or months, and pretty shit when it comes to the mother of my children, for example, whom I spent ten years with. Either way, if it didn't work, there was a reason. You have one life, don't waste your time in a shitty situation just because it's comfortable or familiar.

I thought about this thread yesterday when a girl I used to work with 20 years ago reached out on Facebook outta nowhere.
We never actually dated, but man did we flirt like crazy and I was super attracted to her. I never really took a swing at it because she was younger, I was 24 and she was a freshly minted 18 year old back then.
We're gonna meet up next week to grab some coffee or something, we shall see if the spark still exists.

nush

Gold Member
a girl I used to work with 20 years ago reached out on Facebook outta nowhere.

She's hit the wall and needs some beta bucks. This "Out of the blue" girl from the past scenario has played out many, many times. A 38 year old is in no way going to be like that fresh faced 18 year old you didn't smash back in the day.

Cancel that coffee and move on with your life or please keep us updated seeing as OP has bailed from his own topic now.

Edit: She could also be trying to hook you into a pyramid MLM scheme.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I thought about this thread yesterday when a girl I used to work with 20 years ago reached out on Facebook outta nowhere.
We never actually dated, but man did we flirt like crazy and I was super attracted to her. I never really took a swing at it because she was younger, I was 24 and she was a freshly minted 18 year old back then.
We're gonna meet up next week to grab some coffee or something, we shall see if the spark still exists.

DP.

nush

Gold Member

It's been two weeks, so what happened?

It's been two weeks, so what happened?

lmao, we've been chatting back n forth via texts but haven't even met up yet. She's a single parent as well, and I'm starting a new job so finding a time when we're both free for a few hours is proving to be a challenge.

nush

Gold Member
lmao, we've been chatting back n forth via texts but haven't even met up yet. She's a single parent as well, and I'm starting a new job so finding a time when we're both free for a few hours is proving to be a challenge.

Thanks for the update, however it does sound like your just a texting buddy at this point. I've dated single mother before, trust me they can make time if they want too. "Let's take the kids to the park at the weekend" is always on the table. They play you sit and talk on the bench. I hope you have a few other irons in the fire.

Tams

Do it.

For our entertainment.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I spoke to her for the first time in almost 5years just last week, I've dated and fucked other girls since, but nothing is the same as it was when I was with her. We had a heated argument after we broke up.

I still love her. What can I do GAF? It's kinda killing me

If this was happening to a good friend of yours what would you advise?
Whatever you come up with, u do that.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Threads like this are pointless anyway. Everyone is giving rational advice from a distance, while op has emotions and hormones coursing through his body.

Top Bottom