• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't get an ex from 5 year's ago out of my head

Sleepwalker

Let it go bro.
Had an ex message me during the pandemic, its been 12 years!!!
Kept it polite for a sec, then axed it real quick.

OP, appreciate the time and moments you had with her, then move on. Your future partner deserves it and so do you.

Lmao I had that too at the start of the pandemic, got contacted by my HS/early college GF, she has 2 kids now :messenger_tears_of_joy: blocked her realllll quick no thanks

jason10mm

Gold Member
I've had this problem a bit as well, mainly because of rose-colored glasses about the girl. You remember all the good parts and how she was back then, but that's just an illusion. There was a reason the relationship didn't last and there is little point in trying to kickstart that dead horse.

This is why you make fuck tapes with GFs early in relationships, it gives you the release you need to move on :p I should have made a LOOOOT more!

Zero7

I think that's part of the problem guy's. I look back on the good times we shared, but she had some personality disorder, she was even on pills for depression etc and another thing I didn't get any real closure off her just a lot of bs. I hate that she had to destroy a good thing and destroy a part of me with it.

It's crazy but she'll always have a spot in my heart, but she's nobody's really. She destroyed every relationship she had before me and destroyed ours The next guy and the one after etc won't be any different.

Thanks for understanding and helping me see the reality guys. I had to reach out somewhere as my RL people don't seem to understand. As for the sarcastic posts among you, well I did have a good laugh at it 😃

Quasicat

It one of those things where you remember it being amazing, but you can’t go back. It’s kind of like graduation goggles from How I Met Your Mother:

8bitpill

Let me introduce you to Trevor Something . Music about falling in love, ex's, break ups, make ups, sex, drugs and depression.

Also, here is a song that will hit close to home with what you're going through.

bender

What time is it?
Tell her. See what she says. Go from there. Why do you stupid meat bags overcomplicate matters so much?

To quote the Red Hot Chili Peppers, "But the Butthole Surfers always said it's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do".

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I spoke to her for the first time in almost 5years just last week, I've dated and fucked other girls since, but nothing is the same as it was when I was with her. We had a heated argument after we broke up.

I still love her. What can I do GAF? It's kinda killing me
You can make friends with your suffering, accept its presence and find a way to vent. I know what you mean, I'm in touch with my ex-fiance every day who is a BPD MONSTER and also just happens to have saved my life 6 years ago. And then tortured me to the point I was contemplating suicide, twice. She's also my best friend and it works both ways. We're super close while I'm super anti-social everywhere else and I hate it but it's true and we both know it. We both had multiple relationships between when we were together and now and I still love her all the same, even tho I couldn't imagine being together with her again 'cause it's a fucking nightmare. It's very complicated, we're like a family of ex-husband and ex-wife who know each other a bit too well to pass on it. I cope by banging other chicks, she's still in the middle of extended breaking up with the most recent "love of her life" and we just hang out and talk a lot about it all, like best friends would... streaming consciousness at levels unmatched by anything I can ever achieve with other people. We haven't had sex yet since we re-connected but I'm not sure what that would change after all we've been through. I would never want to be with her but it's great to hang out... She's my fucking curse, she kind of ruined my life. She's a part of me and I'm a part of her forever, we sometimes laugh we're just doomed to die alone together.

Bombolone

Gold Member
True love, love of my life.
You know how many people never leave their small plot of land but somehow find that one they can't possibly live without?
100s of countries, millions of people... very convenient that one so special person happened to be there for you.

Those are some fantastic odds if you ask me.

If you were born in Chile, they would be in Chile.
Born in France, they would be in France.
This notion of 'the one' doesnt exist.

Doesn't mean you can't love and lose, but lingering and wallowing in irrational what ifs and pity?

Sorry had to share a thought again.
I have a friend at work, doing to same thing as you OP. He has been dealing with someone (on and off) for 2 1/2 years.
He is fighting depression and the temptation of the bottle.

Zero7

Even if we never get back together. It's put my mind at ease talking to her and telling her how I feel. Me is all I'm focusing on really

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Even if we never get back together. It's put my mind at ease talking to her and telling her how I feel. Me is all I'm focusing on really

let it go parody GIF

nush

Gold Member
I told her I was sorry for my part in the break up and that I still love her (beta shit I know, but I had to express myself)

This really is some beta simp shit to go back to the well after 5 years. All you did was give her an ego massage and now she knows she "Won" the breakup.

"Having the guts to say that" Translation: I can't believe you are actually this stupid. For example when Princess Leia says "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!". She's hard dissing Han Solo. Do you think he went to space gaf and posted that the Princess said he was really brave after that?

She's apparently in an LDR with some guy who she has recently met. We all sure know they don't last.

You obviously need another translation from womanese to simp. This type of response is very common for a woman to say when you ask her out and she rejects you. "I'm sort of seeing someone right now" or "I'm not looking to date right now". I doubt he exists but women don't stay single for long so if he does he'll be willed into existence.

"We all sure know they don't last"

Stop right there my man, I can see the wheels in your head turning already with beta orbiter behavior. You'll be waiting for your "Chance" when you hope she breaks up. Don't be that guy. Guys know when there's an orbiter around their girlfriend that's "Just a friend", we know.

I tried to go easier earlier today, but for your own good, I think I'm gonna have to go through the blunt, direct, and honest "tough love" dished out by nush nush in the post above.
What can I do GAF?
You asked the question, and we gave you an answer that the had overwhelming majority agreement. The answers ranged in tone from "soft and empathetic" to "harsh, but with good intentions," but they all had the same theme: move on, let it go. Yet...
This sounds like not only you ignored our advice, but on top of that you're taking huge amounts of the drug known on the internet as "copium." That last sentence... Are you really focusing on yourself? At the end of the day, we're just reading this through an internet screen, so you may as well be lying to us. But don't lie to yourself. For your own good.

If you don't mind me asking, OP, how are you keeping yourself busy? Not just today, but these days in general? Any hobbies? Work? Family/friends? The reason I ask is because you mention you've been with other women, but they don't help you get over this particular one. Of course not, it sounds like they're just a series of rebounds that lead to superficial, surface-level connections and may not be great matches for you. (I hope I'm wrong on this point though.)

I think if you genuinely "do you" (as the expression goes here in America), then you'll engage in truly meaningful exchanges with family and friends, get deep into any hobbies or activities that make you excited, and in the process this chick will slowly fade into the background, until she's no longer in the background and gone from your mind for good. Then when that's happened and you meet a different cool chick, you will give that cool chick a GENUINE chance, because this ex won't be in the picture anymore in any way.

I know I'm being blunt, but I'm coming from a good place. Take it or leave it, I'm just an internet rando at the end of the day.

Cheers, dude! 👍🏽

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I sometimes revisit the past to think about the people I had intimate relationships with and it doesn’t do much for me except make me feel alone. If nothing comes from this, you might just regret all the time you’re putting into mourning over her.

nush

Gold Member
In OPs defense, he said she has borderline personality disorder. By far the best sex I've had is with certifiable crazy women in the past. Not sure why the two correlate, but they definitely do. 100% being serious too. The sex is on a different level tbh.
raw

*Just don't start a relationship with them and get out before the crazy is directed at you.

Tschumi

In OPs defense, he said she has borderline personality disorder. By far the best sex I've had is with certifiable crazy women in the past. Not sure why the two correlate, but they definitely do. 100% being serious too. The sex is on a different level tbh.
raw

*Just don't start a relationship with them and get out before the crazy is directed at you.

My wife has a slice of this squireel'd away in a corner of her brain to bring out during the dirty to glorious effect

What you wanna and do is corral the depravity and tie it up way in the back paddock for riding purposes...

...i feel like a sexual Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin Danger GIF

hes-right-you-know.jpg

But still, all the bullshit you have to put up with between sex sessions is not worth it. So in those situations, the goal is to get the amazing sex, and minimize time spent between sessions, because the more time you spend, the higher chance you will get drawn in to the core of craziness.

And this is the mistake a lot of (a certain kind of) men make: they have the amazing sex, and mistake the post sex feeling for deep genuine care/love for the girl, when that feeling is very likely just endorphins and hormones running wild. If you step back and think, you realize that in those situations it may be more infatuation than it is genuine care/love.

In other cases, some people have a "savior" complex. They run into a partner that seems "broken" and they think they can "fix" that partner. But guess what, the responsibility to fix a broken person falls squarely on the shoulders of... the broken person. And no one else.

nush

Gold Member
In other cases, some people have a "savior" complex. They run into a partner that seems "broken" and they think they can "fix" that partner. But guess what, the responsibility to fix a broken person falls squarely on the shoulders of... the broken person. And no one else.

I've seen another scenario that's played out a few times. "Savior" complex guy finds a bird with a broken wing and white knights and simps for her and actually "Fixes" her. Expectation is now is he has a normal girlfriend probably above this league and she will be eternally grateful and stay with him.

But now she's normal, functioning and hot she just leaves him for someone better than him. He's just left crying about the unfairness of it all and how she owes him for sticking with her when every other guy with an ounce of sense avoided that car crash of a woman she blatantly was at the time.

She's normal now, bye simp. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sgt.Asher

A few months ago i was at a strip club and saw my brother's ex from 10 years ago(brake up was due to her stripping). We exchange hellos, 30 minutes later i remembered why i diliked her.

She started crying at me about my brother and how he has a kid now, and they should of never broke up. This was in front of her current boyfriend of 5 years and her stripper friend wearing nothing but lingerie.

Between that and the swamp ass smell, i lost my desire for strip clubs.

nush

Gold Member
A few months ago i was at a strip club and saw my brother's ex from 10 years ago(brake up was due to her stripping).

I've seen this before, this guy was dating a stripper and it was bragging rights for him until his insecurity kicked in.

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
In my experience it is impossible to just be friends with someone you still have feelings for without doing harm to yourself mentally. I've been in that spot where I was the 'friend' just hovering around waiting for another chance and it was absolute hell on my mental health and I had to cut that person out of my life completely.

GymWolf

If i can bring some out of the box thinking to the discussion, Ancient egyptians used these things when they had something stuck in their head (except it was usually their brain coming out of their nose)

220px-Three_of_four_cranial_crochets%2C_copies%2C_used_for_removing_th_Wellcome_L0058415.jpg

Still a better idea that returning with your ex.

jason10mm

Gold Member
A few months ago i was at a strip club and saw my brother's ex from 10 years ago(brake up was due to her stripping). We exchange hellos, 30 minutes later i remembered why i diliked her.

She started crying at me about my brother and how he has a kid now, and they should of never broke up. This was in front of her current boyfriend of 5 years and her stripper friend wearing nothing but lingerie.

Between that and the swamp ass smell, i lost my desire for strip clubs.
I would have been rock hard to this :p

Anyway, you gotta remember that virtually any woman between 18 and mid 30s can land a guy with almost no effort. Chicks have no remorse about dating married guys or older men so the field for them is always wide open.

The plus side is that guys stay in the game for longer but it only takes a few semi-chads in your pool to soak up all the women YOU want as well. So you gotta be a semi-chad yourself, and simping for some ex is ANTI-CHAD behavior, unless she died in childbirth or something. Otherwise women can smell that stank on you and avoid you like the plague.

If you spent 5 years without her... You can spend another 5 years without her. It's best not to dwell in past relationships. I've learned that the hard way.

Top Bottom