• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom’s fighting games coming exclusively to IGN Pro League in 2013

El Sloth

Banned
Specifically, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken.

Polygon said:
Capcom has partnered with the IGN Pro League to make it the exclusive eSports home of Capcom's fighting games in 2013, according to a press release from IGN Entertainment.

The partnership will bring games like Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and Street Fighter X Tekken, "exclusively to the IGN Pro League (IPL) tournament line-up in 2013."

"With the positive reception of the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary global tournament series, Capcom has been more focused on the competitive scene than at any other point in our company's history, and we're constantly exploring new ways to provide bigger and better tournament experiences," said Matt Dahlgren, senior product manager at Capcom. "We're hyped to be partnering up with IPL to push the fighting scene forward and believe their creative vision will both spread the passion of fighting games to new players while providing fresh opportunities for the existing community."

The IGN Pro League entered the eSports arena at its founding in April 2011 with a goal "to help legitimize video gaming as a profession that can produce the next generation of sports celebrities." Exhibition matches with Capcom fighting games are already in contention at IPL 5, which began yesterday and will run through Dec. 2 at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.

Capcom's ongoing 25th anniversary celebration of Street Fighter will continue Dec. 8 in Burlingame, CA at the grand finals, where the company has also teased "super-special surprise announcements."

Full Press Release here

Note that while it says the games will be exclusive to IPL in 2013, that doesn't affect the community run tournaments like CEO or EVO.

I imagine that the reason there isn't any mention of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is because they're still negotiating around the Marvel/Disney license.

Edit: Video of the announcement.

Edit 2: IPL 5 Capcom Announcement Exhibition - Some exhibition matches that are starting soon. Mike Ross and Magus talking about the announcement/commentating.

Ferrio

Banned
Are they still going to cram the games into the SC2/LoL format that makes no sense? Where it's 90% setup and bullshit and only 10% actual playing?

Mesoian

I love how Capcom treats MvC3 like a red headed stepchild.

Even if they wanted to touch Marvel, which they don't, they couldn't as they no longer hold the Marvel licence. It'd be in their best interest to make something similar to Capcom Fighting Jam that takes the UMvsC3 engine and replaces the marvel side with Capcom characters (which is rumored to be happening right now).

These game is still going to be at EVO and majors like CEO, Final Round etc.

This is more about IPL getting it and MLG not getting it.

Not that MLG wanted them...

Even if they wanted to touch Marvel, which they don't, they couldn't as they no longer hold the Marvel licence. It'd be in their best interest to make something similar to Capcom Fighting Jam that takes the UMvsC3 engine and replaces the marvel side with Capcom characters (which is rumored to be happening right now).
A huge part of the appeal is the Marvel characters, though.

Capcom needs to diversify their fighting game line-up real bad and a Capcom mash up probably isn't what they'd need even if it is cool. I'd buy the latter though. :p

J-Tier

Marvel would make me more interested in keeping up with it. I'll wait to see if this has any significant implications on the FGC. Probably not.

Edited.

Good news for IPL and the games in question.
Wait... SFxT is at Evo? FUCK
Probably will be even if it doesn't have the best reputation.
Name a company other than Capcom or Arc with 3 major fighting games right now?
No one

What Capcom needs is an actual third pillar that is entirely theirs, not under the influence of Namco or Marvel. This is where Power Stone, Rival Schools or Darkstalkers would come in. Hell, something new would probably be even better. They don't have a full 3D fighter and they never really tapped into the Smash style of gameplay which is really really underused. I won't mention sprites or hand drawn style because Capcpom is never making that again.
When we actually start punishing Capcom for rehashing a fighting property for 5+ years is when they change their ways.
I think people kinda have with SFxT. Clearly people want something that looks and plays very differently from Street Fighter. If you mean the FGC by "We" then that will never happen lol.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Calm down.

Glad to see it starting.

I'm at IPL5 right now. If anyone is here, stop by the Mad Catz booth!

joe2187

Banned
Capcom needs to diversify their fighting game line-up real bad and a Capcom mash up probably isn't what they'd need even if it is cool. I'd buy the latter though. :p

Have some hope for Darkstalkers 4?

Capcom needs to go back to making awesome action brawlers, I miss a good beat em up action game. GOD HAND 2.

No hope left

Have some hope for Darkestalkers 4?

image.php

I think this time around it isn't so much Capcom/Capcpom's fault, but probably something to do with Marvel/Disney.

After reading about UMvC3's lack of digital release due to licencing a certain logo, I'd imagine this to be true. Still uber disappointing.

But, in that case, Mahvel plz.

Mesoian

It will. I believe in it. I believe in Capcom.

I also believe in Santa Claus.

Glutton for punishment.

Wait, Capcom's lost the Marvel license again? How many times is that now?

It's not surprising. Capcom had no plans to do anything with the Avengers outside of marvel, so they let it lapse. The almost lost it 3 or 4 times during MvsC3 and UmvsC3 though because of their timetable.

PC version? I wonder what would happen if UMVC3 was on the PC. Would IPL pick that game up as well?

I can't see it doing well, probably wouldn't sell better than UMvsC3, which in capcom's eyes, was a dissapointment. Everyone who wants that game has it. It would simply be a neat thing to have.

On a positive note, I really enjoyed the various streams of the 25th Anni tournaments. If that's any indication of the quality of product they're planning on putting out, the FGC will benefit greatly from this.

So that's

IPL:
SSFIVAE12
SFxT
DOA5

MLG:
MK
TTT2
PSAS?
[Injustice when it drops]

I have no idea if they intend to do anything else with KoF/SC/VF that have all shown up at their events.

I wonder if the other companies will seek to use e-sports for promotion as well, and who would get what.

jwhit28

Players can make more money with their skills and the FGC doesn't have to change a thing. I like it, just be smart about the scheduling.

I can't see it doing well, probably wouldn't sell better than UMvsC3, which in capcom's eyes, was a dissapointment. Everyone who wants that game has it. It would simply be a neat thing to have.

I'm not port begging but would have been interesting if having a UMvC3 PC version would help pick up the Esports crowd and players/countries that are PC-centric.

I wonder how long SF4 will last and if SFxT will pick up interest because of this.

robot

Marvel is prob too much of a hassle because of Marvel themselves probably require some sort of cut.

I think people kinda have with SFxT. Clearly people want something that looks and plays very differently from Street Fighter. If you mean the FGC by "We" then that will never happen lol.

I didn't buy Mahvel or SFxT. I know tons of people who bought both purely on their EVO cred then gave up on them.
I did buy 3S OE and probably will buy the HD Darkstalkers release assuming they don't cock it up.

Quality releases that don't make me feel like a chump 8 months later, Capcom, that's where I spend my money.

source?

A Capcom mash-up really depends, for me, on whether it's basically a Marvel clone (yes please) with some characters that didn't make it in (Rathalos, Megaman, BoF2 Nina).

Top Bottom