• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I can't say for sure if it looks better but so far they seem pretty close. Having played through Disaster, I need to get further in DR WII to see.

Just judging from videos, I'd say Disaster looks quite a bit better than this. I'll know tonight.

pakkit

Banned
You missed my favorite line. "Dead Rising takes place in some bizarro world."

No shit.

Still, most of his points seem valid, and I really, really doubt the story had that much of an effect on his review.

dyls

It's weird that he didn't mention the gunplay at all. I only played about an hour of Dead Rising 360, but it seemed at that point like the guns were all but useless compared to melee weapons. It would seem like IR and the RE4 point of view would change that, but nary a mention.

MarkusRJR

Chinner said:
Yeah, probably no point. I just want to bitch at the IGN reviewer for missing the entire point of the story.

Theres alot of shit wrong here. Ignoring the fact that hes calling the story the worst thing ever, just for dramatic effect, lets just establish that the dialogue isn't wretch, Its actually pretty neat and straight to the point. There is nothign wrong with the VA, which is equally awesome. Comparing it to the RE is just another dramatic effect thing, obviously the statement itself is a dud.

Then he complains about zombie parrots dropping grenades when they die. Holy shit, its a fricking vidyagame!
Isn't that similar to someone complaining about how mushrooms are coming out of bricks in a Mario game? Seriously, no one should really give a shit to begin with because they're playing a damn video game.

a Master Ninja said:
In that video clip, Jo the obese mallcop is killed 3 times in 3 different locations. Is she a respawning character like the convicts now?
There are zombie Jos who randomly spawn like the zombie Kent, a gun firing, grenade tossing, zombie ninja.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yaceka said:
I don't think anyone really cares enough about the game to make a review/official thread about it. If I had the spare time I would make one, but I don't... so yeah.
If anyone wants to bother, I have a banner ready:
16h6kvt.jpg

Haunted

photorealistic graphics! But where are all the zo-

ooooooh.

edit: you also need to clean Franks shirt and remove the camera.

Haunted

:lol Totally worthy of an official thread, imo. Copy+paste some info from the official site, add release date and price and you're golden.

Do it, Jocchan.

edit: + slasher's pics and Tenbatsu's posted impressions. Bam, official thread.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I'd rather give somebody else the honor to do it :)
If no one has made it by tomorrow, I'll do it myself though :D

quick impressions:

-shooting controls are pretty much the same as RE4, but the zombie behaviors aren't. It really does help to show how genius RE4/5 actually are.
-ammo is plentiful
-melee weapons suck
-enemy respawning is pretty ridiculous. It's not like they respawn when they're far off; you can literally do a 180 spin, do another 180 spin, thent here will be new zombies.
-controls are kinda fucked up. Z is used a lot. Z+A picks things up, A attacks, Z+back is a 180, etc. No run button since it actually has analog controls. Waggle to do extra powerful hits or throw object.
-No jumping...yet?
-game is really ugly
-health supplies are plentiful
-location doesn't really seem to be a factor in where you shoot the zombies. It seems like it's only head or body.

Haunted

I think it's safe to say that it plays almost completely differently from Dead Rising, they just share the setting and characters.

All the core gameplay mechanics have been completely reworked/changed. And many of those not for the better.

edit: this reads like captain obvious, sorry. :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haunted said:
I think it's safe to say that it's a completely different game from Dead Rising, just with a similar setting.

All the core mechanics have been completely reworked/changed. And many of those not for the better.

yeah i was thinking the same thing while reading linkzg's impressions. i mean, it was clear before, but looking at all those bullet points just reminded me how the game has nothing in common with Dead Rising.

it just reads like a mediocre action game with the RE4 controls. It just doesn't have any appealing features, at all. they could've strayed from the formula and still made an interesting game, but it doesn't seem that way.

Darunia said:
it just reads like a mediocre action game with the RE4 controls. It just doesn't have any appealing features, at all. they could've strayed from the formula and still made an interesting game, but it doesn't seem that way.
RE4 Wii controls and Zombies are not appealing features?

11ietr6.gif

yeah, after playing some more, this isn't Dead Rising at all. It's not an open mall anymore, you can't be running through windows or jumping around; you can't even run around the mall floor anymore because most of it has borders. You are completely forced to move in a linear way. Like, to get to a kid's clothing store from the toy shop, which is about a 2 second walk in the 360 version, requires you to run forward, up the stairs from the sports store, run back, down another set of stairs -- this is all to reach somewhere a couple feet from where you were. It's like, some class you can break, others you can't. You are literally forced to move where they want you to move.

The mission structure is completely linear now. Even the random people in the mall are mission from Otis where he tells you their location, what to do, then it times you to see how long it takes for you to get them from there to Otis. After you bring them back, there is a save screen and you get some items/points for it.

And when I said before the melee sucked, well, it really does suck. They even got rid of many melee weapons. I'm in the hardware store right now and you can't pick up the scythe or giant clippers. All that's there are the large chainsaws and sledgehammers. The focus is on using weapons. They give you the pistol, shotgun, and rifle pretty much right away.

oh, and here's a plus: if you hated the convicts, they aren't in this version. Instead are poodles and parrots you kill in one shot.

Xellos

Picked this up earlier today and completed completed chapter 1 (Zombie count thus far: about 400). So far, so good -- or at least not half bad. Zombies do pop up but most of it happens off screen -- it's obvious they're using RE4's behind-the-back camera to spawn zombies outside of the player's view. For the most part, it works. There are enough zombies to keep things interesting, they're sufficiently grabby/aggressive, and the dogs and birds provide more aggressive enemy types early on. I've had to use healing items more than a few times. My biggest complaint isn't the number of zombies but the quality of each individual zombie. Models are low-poly, textures are N64 quality, and the animations (most importantly, the reactions to being shot) leave a lot to be desired. RE4's Ganados were much, much higher quality than the undead citizens of Willamette.

CtyD plays as expected: DR in spirit but RE4:Wii in mechanics. Shoot the zombie in the head/leg, run up and waggle/press A for melee attack. Rinse, repeat, use mall furniture, power tools, and other items as necessary to spice things up. Strangely there doesn't seem to be a way to drop some of the melee items (the ones that can't be thrown). It doesn't prevent Frank from picking up another item, but it's still weird.

For now, I'm enjoying the game. It's no DR360, but it's still fun.

oh, and here's a plus: if you hated the convicts, they aren't in this version. Instead are poodles and parrots you kill in one shot.

Really? That's pretty disappointing. I was assuming that they would show up later on. :/

markatisu

DR in spirit but RE4:Wii in mechanics

That pretty much sums it up

Been playing for a bit, graphics dont bother me (just very generic textures all over this mall). After a while I really do not notice it, but I do notice how empty the mall is. With as dumb as brick as these zombies are you would think they could have at least put some in the inaccesible areas to make it look a bit more full

I question is the overuse of Z, its like Capcom could not figure out what else to do but attach it to A. You get used to it but it just seems awkward

The zombies appearing just made me chuckle, but at least they fade in and dont pop up (so far anyway), they are easy enough to kill but if you fuck up they are all over you

It plays like RE4 though, oh and those fucking poodles are a bitch. I have never enjoyed killing animals so much in my life

Overall from what I have played I think that the game should be $19 or 29 because I cannot honestly believe any real thought went into making it

I am enjoying it, its clearly not DR or even comparable to DR. But it is not boring and the mechanics of RE4 make the game enjoyable to play

Tenbatsu

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Just picked up my copy at gamestop! :)

Had to go back to work so couldnt get more but couple anyways.

DR%20Wii%20pic%201.jpg

DR%20Wii%20pic%202.jpg

Game looks fairly good in motion. Definetly some heavy aliasing at times though. Can't wait to play through.
Looks good. Seriously those official videos are terrible except IGN's.

the juice mixing seems to be really dumbed down too. I got yellow, green, white, and black so far. Yellow and Green were the exact same; white increases your health bar; black was random (gave me speed when I used it).

watership

Rewrite said:
It's so empty...

I know my buddy is getting this game regardless, but I can't help feel bad for him with that lawmmower scene. Mowing down 40 zombies at the doors was just one of the holyshit moments for him. That and climbing on the zombies heads. That's still in right?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
watership said:
I know my buddy is getting this game regardless, but I can't help feel bad for him with that lawmmower scene. Mowing down 40 zombies at the doors was just one of the holyshit moments for him. That and climbing on the zombies heads. That's still in right?
You can't jump. :lol

Chinner

Banned
I'll ask this question later once somenoe has actually completed this, but can anyone say whether or not the mutiple endings have been cut and if overtime is naturally part of the game now?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Okay, making the official thread. If anyone feels to contribute/give advice/cover wars you know, feel free to PM me before it's too late.

Chinner

Banned
Don't make the OP too long. Also, perhaps add a section explaining why you should get the X360 version instead of the Wii version.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Jocchan said:
Okay, making the official thread. If anyone feels to contribute/give advice/cover wars you know, feel free to PM me before it's too late.
Oh this should be interesting.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Chinner said:
Don't make the OP too long. Also, perhaps add a section explaining why you should get the X360 version instead of the Wii version.
It will be pretty simple: some info from the PR, boxarts and release dates, links to reviews and impressions from GAFfers.

Majmun

You could jump in the X360 version to avoid zombie attack. The Wii version doesn't really need that move.

But the kick jump will be missed.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Second said:
You could jump in the X360 version to avoid zombie attack. The Wii version doesn't really need that move.

But the kick jump will be missed.
Why shouldn't jumping be included? I remember you could access some areas by jumping in the original...

Majmun

Rewrite said:
Why shouldn't jumping be included? I remember you could access some areas by jumping in the original...

Yeah, you can't get the katana in the mall without jumping, for instance.

But what I actually tried to say is that the Wii version is so barren you don't need to jump to escape from zombies. Stealth troll success.

Out of all of Linkzg's complaints, the most disappointing is that he thinks the melee controls are garbage. The melee stuff was a big part of why I loved Dead Rising to begin with. Improved gun controls are good, but a complete reliance on guns is missing the goddamn point of being in the mall.

Second said:
Yeah, you can't get the katana in the mall without jumping, for instance.

But what I actually tried to say is that the Wii version is so barren you don't need to jump to escape from zombies. Stealth troll success.

You can still get the katana and jump over some areas by using context sensetive jump points on the map. Like, if there is a counter, you could get to the other side, you just need to run to that one specific point that lets you select the jump opiton and make the leap.

I said it in the other thread, but the reason jumping is gone is most likely to limit your movement options as much as possible. The game has barriers everywhere to stop you from progressing, always forcing you to take a round about way through the world. I'm serious. There are "under construction" areas all around the mall to stop you from moving freely. This actually serves double purpose since now it gave the game an excuse to throw weapons all over the place where they normally wouldn't be. There is a chainsaw or that spinning drill every couple of feet.

a Master Ninja said:
Out of all of Linkzg's complaints, the most disappointing is that he thinks the melee controls are garbage. The melee stuff was a big part of why I loved Dead Rising to begin with. Improved gun controls are good, but a complete reliance on guns is missing the goddamn point of being in the mall.

yeah, but it is at least worth noting that they did improve the gun combat white a bit. They really do expect you to be using guns most of the time, even letting you upgrade the ammo storage for any weapon to 999 bullets/shells. Melee is even called a sub weapon now; you can either use your fist, which is restricted to a one-two punch combo, or find an object in the world to use. Again, there are fewer objects to actually use for melee attacks.

Top Bottom