• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom focused on Monster Hunter: World for West, won't commit to MH:XX localization

Crossplay? This game will probably majority on PS4 the community will do fine.

I am saying that a big ecosystem idea doesnt really work because people will be playing on multiple platforms. Just bouncing ideas around of why they woukdnt localize XX when they have an established fanbase for that line of MH games.

I think with MH mixed success in the West crossplay would be a decent enough idea though. Who knows how it will actually sell.

Nanashrew

Banned
There's no cross-play, but if there were, it would be Sony + PC, and Microsoft + PC (and now Switch), like Rocket League.

Oh, there's no crossplay at all? That feels pretty messed up because a game like this you'd kinda want to have your friends on board regardless of platform since it's multiplat. Xbox servers could likely wind up the loneliest with how Japanese games perform.

How I imagined MH going if the series ever went multiplat is to have crossplay so that userbase and friends are not totally split up.

Really sucks that we're not getting MH on Switch. Thought the Nintendo/Capcom partnership was doing alright.

What's impressive is how Sony locked up MHW, which is turning out to be the new mainline series, as an exclusive in Japan. This isn't a standalone title that will get a sequel any time soon as it seems to subscribe more to the GaaS model and will get DLCs and updates for years, so unless we see a Monster Hunter World 2, Switch owners in Japan will settle for spinoffs (which MHW has effectively rendered them).

Hattori

Banned
With MH World being multiplat, I wonder how many on Xbox and PS4 will buy it and how bad it may be because Sony hates crossplay.
Sony don't care, it's why they paid for it to be on anything but Switch. With Switch in the picture, there is an actual tangible choice. Without it, people will flock the system with the most user base count making the other versions moot.*

*Conjecture based on 4chan rumors which turned out to be true so far.

Tripon

There's no local co-op either, even in a LAN setting.

Considering PC, and XBoxes will allow for a LAN network, that's a mistake, IMO. It might not be a feature most people use, but it should be offered, I think.

Santiako

As always, Monster Hunter will be used more in console wars arguments than people actually buying it and playing it. The thread is kinda embarrassing.

Everyone had a Wii and Tri wasnt very successful. It is a chance they are taking here.

If Switch gets something akin to the Portable releases, spin off or no who the fuck cares, I think people will be happier.

Guess I can always import it. But if I can't play Monster Hunter portably then I don't really wanna play Monster Hunter. 90% of my time in 3U, 4U, and Generations was away from home.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Personally not hating, can not get into the regular Japanese Monster Hunter games, so hopefully I will actually care about this new release... just hoping its good!

janoDX

Remember that the MonHun plan since 3G is always "Release in Japan > 1 year later > Release in the west"

XX hasn't been released on Switch still, it comes out in August 25th.

I expect stories to be released, then and only when the Switch version gets released in Japan to be announced, I expect a Fall Direct.

If not, I can always buy XX from Japan since now it's region free.

audio_delay

Neo Member
Everyone had a Wii and Tri wasnt very successful. It is a chance they are taking here.
Everyone had a PS2 and first two games and g weren't big int he west. MonHun is one of these game, it either clicks with someone or not. And for people who never played one of them before, but excited about world, be prepare to be either disappointed or to loose a lot of family time to this series.

I won't be surprised if Sony moneyhatted Capcom for this. Capcom wouldn't be THIS stupid to shoot themselves in the foot. If that's the case, Nintendo should publish Monster Hunter: XX for Switch themselves.

Vinnk

Can someone explain to me how this is a good business decision?

Did the previous 3DS games sell so terribly that it's not worth the effort to localize?

Do they feel that if they offer MHXX that people will buy that instead of MHW?

I just don't see how this makes financial sense?

Not to mention the loss of good will among the current fans.

Vena

Did the previous 3DS games sell so terribly that it's not worth the effort to localize?

In order:
It isn't.

They didn't.

Yes, or dilute the message.

Putting all your eggs into one basket.

This is Capcom.

They are going all in with MHWorld and want to focus the marketing there. We'll see if it pays off.

jman2050

Capcom realized they still had a franchise they hadn't torpedoed into the ground yet.

They are going all in with MHWorld and want to focus the marketing there. We'll see if it pays off.

I think it will.

This is the MH they've been waiting to unleash for over 10 years. They're going to try to make money over it from DLCs, in-game content, weapons, armor, etcetc. Think GTAO. It's going to be huge, like all hands on deck. I imagine to them, keeping MH on handhelds all these years was like seeing Ms. Universe being taken on a first date in a Datsun.

Vena

I think it will.

This is the MH they've been waiting to unleash for over 10 years. They're going to try to make money over it from DLCs, in-game content, weapons, armor, etcetc. Think GTAO. I imagine to them, keeping MH on handhelds all these years was like seeing Ms. Universe being taken on a first date in a Datsun.

Just like SFV! A striking success.

^Pray tell, what vital elements are missing? All I can think of is portability.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if MHW:portable was announced late next year or the year after that. Capcom is not going to abandon their market in Japan outright.

But IIRC Japan's a market in decline. They need to do everything they can to have their star series reach a growing, thriving market (or at least one not in such an advanced state of decline) instead of one moving more and more to cell phones.

I imagine this game is a new jumping off point for both console and portable releases. Even if the sales performance of this game initially suffers from an anemic Japanese market, they're hoping to pick up the slack in the west. I bet they'll also use the assets of this game to make much cheaper portable versions that will succeed in Japan (who knows how it'll do in the west, but it'll at least hit the same audience the current portable games have).

TL;DR: I see this game as Capcom gambling to capture a bigger western console market than the current total portable market.

As always, Monster Hunter will be used more in console wars arguments than people actually buying it and playing it. The thread is kinda embarrassing.

Yeah, I always wonder how many of the people that argue over this franchise on both sides of the fence actually play the games.

I think it will.

This is the MH they've been waiting to unleash for over 10 years. They're going to try to make money over it from DLCs, in-game content, weapons, armor, etcetc. Think GTAO. It's going to be huge, like all hands on deck. I imagine to them, keeping MH on handhelds all these years was like seeing Ms. Universe being taken on a first date in a Datsun.
We're suppose to be excited because now instead of buying the game and having the timed dlc unlocked free down the road now we can pay more money because reasons? You can keep that game.

Fukuzatsu

*Conjecture based on 4chan rumors which turned out to be true so far.

Rumours which keep getting re-stated as if they are gospel when there is not and will likely never be any way to prove most of the inter-business parts of it (especially the 'Sony paid off Capcom to never let Switch get this game' part).

The only actual verifiable fact it got right is the name XX, and I can't believe it even has to be said, but that doesn't suddenly make the rest of it more credible--it's just a post on 4chan.

The 'desperate Sony bribes Capcom to spite Nintendo in Japan' makes no sense when Switch is getting a MH in the market where that would matter (Japan), and Sony is not in a desperate position in any market.

MoonFrog

If DQXI is a reference point? Any update from here on out will be entirely forgotten.
I mean...there are still console wars-ish posts surrounding DQXI. And there're still posts stoking the fires that it'll be Sony only in the west at least.

So it's not completely forgotten :p.

Vena

I mean...there are still console wars-ish posts surrounding DQXI. And there're still posts stoking the fires that it'll be Sony only in the west at least.

So it's not completely forgotten :p.

Its largely only a talking point for us in the MC threads, any other thread gets twenty posts before its lost to history. All that fervor over it and then, afterwards, most people stopped even visiting threads about it or any details on it.

Lizardus

Hmm, was going to buy MHWorld on PC, MHXX on Switch and even pre-ordered MHStories on 3DS but I guess Capcom doesn't think that the established western base is worth the effort.

I don't care about no region-locking for MHXX because I can't transfer my 500+ hour data in Generations to a Japnese version of MHXX.

MoonFrog

Its largely only a talking point for us in the MC threads, any other thread gets twenty posts before its lost to history. All that fervor over it and then, afterwards, most people stopped even visiting threads about it or any details on it.
I know. I'm in all those threads pretty much. And even there, there's still a little friction.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
history repeats itself. we didnt portable 3rd as monster hunter moved to nintendo

patientx

The English translation for 3ds xx came out very quickly and easily in the modding community because of the high percentage of the content shared with generations. Either capcom already has 3ds/switch English translations already at hand and sitting on it for reason or they really abandoned the franchise for portables in the future. Something is not right bere.

Top Bottom