• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom focused on Monster Hunter: World for West, won't commit to MH:XX localization

I think it will.

This is the MH they've been waiting to unleash for over 10 years. They're going to try to make money over it from DLCs, in-game content, weapons, armor, etcetc. Think GTAO. It's going to be huge, like all hands on deck. I imagine to them, keeping MH on handhelds all these years was like seeing Ms. Universe being taken on a first date in a Datsun.

I pray this isn't the business model they're going for. Please just be a complete package on day one. If they want to sell a G version as DLC or a new standalone product, fine. But not the bolded. God no.

BooJoh

I think it will.

This is the MH they've been waiting to unleash for over 10 years. They're going to try to make money over it from DLCs, in-game content, weapons, armor, etcetc. Think GTAO. It's going to be huge, like all hands on deck. I imagine to them, keeping MH on handhelds all these years was like seeing Ms. Universe being taken on a first date in a Datsun.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I think this has the potential to sell pretty well to a certain western audience, but it sounds like it's still going to have the same basic combat, so all the people who "tried MH once, it was slow and clunky but this looks great!" are probably going to hate it, and then you have a subset of the diehard MH fans who prefer MH on a handheld who will play and enjoy this game while simultaneously cursing Capcom while Japan continues to get the handheld MH games we also want.

Me, personally, I'll buy this but I'll be massively disappointed if my dream of seamlessly switching between handheld and TV play in MH is squashed by Capcom's corporate BS.

nubbe

I was expecting to play on the go and on PC
Now I don't know if I can support Capcom anymore

Stories might be the last Monster Hunter for a long time since Nintendo is doing an effort while Capcom don't give a fuck

Rmagnus

Banned
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

I think this has the potential to sell pretty well to a certain western audience, but it sounds like it's still going to have the same basic combat, so all the people who "tried MH once, it was slow and clunky but this looks great!" are probably going to hate it, and then you have a subset of the diehard MH fans who prefer MH on a handheld who will play and enjoy this game while simultaneously cursing Capcom while Japan continues to get the handheld MH games we also want.

Me, personally, I'll buy this but I'll be massively disappointed if my dream of seamlessly switching between handheld and TV play in MH is squashed by Capcom's corporate BS.

It's mh I will give it a chance, I have followed the series everywhere NV but capcom you make it so hard to like you.

Fukuzatsu

I only get to play games when commuting so it's pretty much time for me to hang up my lance for now too. I love monster Hunter and if I played games at home I'd try World, but hey.

That's a shame, but that sounds like a pretty rare use-case. The concept of using commute time to play games isn't that strange, but how long is your commute that you only have that time to play, and yet actually get meaningful playtime out of it?

Capcom's indecision to localize MH XX baffles me to no end.

Generations is already localized, so the localization cost of XX can't be all that much.

World is coming in 2018. XX is coming in late August to Japan, and Capcom could easily get it out in the West well before the PR train for World starts to ramp up.

The Switch could definitely use some larger third-party titles, and I cannot imagine Nintendo is adverse to releasing XX in the West; I would expect the opposite, actually.

I just don't see the logic here.

jackal27

Banned
My hope now is that Nintendo will help localize this. I am excited for Monster Hunter World, but so would gladly buy both if it meant I could take one of them on the go. I know I won't put more than 50 or 60 hours into Monster Hunter World, because I can never invest much time into console games...

Capcom likes putting MH on the system with the highest install base.
This is very true. But this game is already on the Switch, so I don't really understand your point.

That's a shame, but that sounds like a pretty rare use-case. The concept of using commute time to play games isn't that strange, but how long is your commute that you only have that time to play, and yet actually get meaningful playtime out of it?
Dunno about him but I'm in the same boat. 2 hours commute of which 1:15-1:30 is uninterrupted train time, twice a day (total 4h commute / 3h game time).

I'll play MH World but not at launch/full price. I just wouldn't be able to get my money's worth.

It sounds like he doesn't want to comment because announcing the localization of Monster Hunter XX takes away thunder from the spin-off "world" title on the PS4.

I'm sorry though.. I'm at a point where.. no ability to take Monster Hunter with me everywhere.. means I don't buy that Monster Hunter.

Mmh can you explain us why the leak was wrong when they actually reveal all the previous things we already see to be true?

The "leak" basically stated that Monster Hunter 5 (World) is a console game. That's about it, really. The rest of it has yet to be proven or cannot be.

Even if that person actually received legitimate info from someone at Capcom, it's pretty obvious they injected their own bias into each bullet point, which is why so much of it reads like a pile of rubbish.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah but that went portable to portable.

The lack of a portable option stings.

the wii version was the beginning of the end. it eventually went portable, but that was after the psp was dead

To be fair, the PSP was in its twilight in those days. We're talking about a game for a brand new console.

a port of a game on preexisting hardware. its also on the 3ds

It sounds like he doesn't want to comment because announcing the localization of Monster Hunter XX takes away thunder from the spin-off "world" title on the PS4.

It's not a spin-off. He explicitly said that, multiple times. Monster Hunter: World, for all intents and purposes is Monster Hunter 5 for Xbox One/Playstation 4/PC.

Mmh can you explain us why the leak was wrong when they actually reveal all the previous things we already see to be true?

Choose to believe it if you want, but the decision to put Monster Hunter on consoles has nothing to do with money hats and everything to do with the fact that Nintendo's weird hardware release schedule kinda fucked them over. Dragon Quest XI is another example of this. You think that game was originally planned as a PS4 only game for the fun of it?

Lelou

The "leak" basically stated that Monster Hunter 5 (World) is a console game. That's about it, really. The rest of it has yet to be proven or cannot be.

Even if that person actually received legitimate info from someone at Capcom, it's pretty obvious they injected their own bias into each bullet point, which is why so much of it reads like a pile of rubbish.

Ok thanks, i understand.
Then even if it's injected by bias is still not proven to be wrong

Lelou

Choose to believe it if you want, but the decision to put Monster Hunter on consoles has nothing to do with money hats and everything to do with the fact that Nintendo's weird hardware release schedule kinda fucked them over. Dragon Quest XI is another example of this. You think that game was originally planned as a PS4 only game for the fun of it?

Well dq11 was never planned to be only ps4.
The 3ds version has been always around

jman2050

I'm inclined to believe the leaks are to an extent legitimate because I find it doubtful that the leak predicting that Capcom would make certain stupid decisions followed by Capcom actually making those stupid decisions is just a coincidence.

redcrayon

It's not that rare in London, UK. My commute is 75 minutes each way across the city, and I'm a parent with no time to sit in front of the telly at home. I've finished dozens of RPGs over the last decade while commuting, ten hours a week soon clocks up! Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey, Trails, Dragon Quest and Ys have probably made up 90% of my gaming in the last decade.

Kyoufu

It's not that rare in London, UK. My commute is 75 minutes each way across the city, and I'm a parent with no time to sit in front of the telly at home. I've finished dozens of RPGs over the last decade while commuting, ten hours a week soon clocks up!

You could get a Vita for Remote Play, heh.

Fukuzatsu

Where exactly did they reveal all the things that were true? In fact, they revealed a lot of infos for the game that show the rumour was nonsense.

You can see some examples here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240652204&postcount=459

Especially after it was already confirmed that weapon types weren't removed, which is directly contradictory to what this claims.

And if it really were the case that MHPortable is coming out on Switch next year as the 'traditional' MH, why would they go through the trouble of porting XX in August?

The rest is all internal company politicking that, unless some document or emails or what have you leaks, will never be proven or disproven.

Rmagnus

Banned
Especially after it was already confirmed that weapon types weren't removed, which is directly contradictory to what this claims.

And if it really were the case that MHPortable is coming out on Switch next year as the 'traditional' MH, why would they go through the trouble of porting XX in August?

The rest is all internal company politicking that, unless some document or emails or what have you leaks, will never be proven or disproven.

Because MHXX is practically done, mh generations have already be translated. If the traditional mh 5 is coming next year,it will be 2 yrs before portable MH arrives

Fukuzatsu

It's not that rare in London, UK. My commute is 75 minutes each way across the city, and I'm a parent with no time to sit in front of the telly at home. I've finished dozens of RPGs over the last decade while commuting, ten hours a week soon clocks up! Monster Hunter, Etrian Odyssey, Trails, Dragon Quest and Ys have probably made up 90% of my gaming in the last decade.

I'm not unfamiliar with the concept. I live in Japan and commute via train myself, albeit shorter than a 30-minute ride, but even if it were longer I can't see myself playing a video game that requires my attention like that over a morning commute where I'm usually pretty tired. I don't see much of it around me either.

Fukuzatsu

Because MHXX is practically done, mh generations have already be translated. If the traditional mh 5 is coming next year,it will be 2 yrs before portable MH arrives

No, I mean in the Japanese market, where MH is most relevant, and where the series being traditional or not would make the most difference.

In Japan, MHXX is coming out on the Switch in August of 2017. The post claims that a new MHP is planned for 2018. Between XX and a potential Portable entry, you think Capcom is going to put out two that close together? Maybe that was more feasible on the 3DS but developing for the Switch and 3DS aren't identical.

Rmagnus

Banned
No, I mean in the Japanese market, where MH is most relevant, and where the series being traditional or not would make the most difference.

In Japan, MHXX is coming out on the Switch in August of 2017. The post claims that a new MHP is planned for 2018. Between XX and a potential Portable entry, you think Capcom is going to put out two that close together? Maybe that was more feasible on the 3DS but developing for the Switch and 3DS aren't identical.

Well tbf I don't see capcom releasing 2 mh in one year so if mhw is out in 2018, I don't see the so called portable version being released in the same year so that I agree with you. For the western market of MHXX is to be released I think it will be after mhw.. so i guess I am just gonna make use of Amazon Japan again

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I want to buy both, Capcom. Don't fuck this up plz.

The thing I get is that since the last MHW releases early 2018 they don't want to have two MH games releasing close to each other and being in competition. Sooooo hopefully we'll get MHXX in the west in summer?

Eolz

Disappointed at the amount of "Fuck you, got mine" posts. Capcom could be making everyone happy right now.

Same. Localizing XX would still have had a lot of people double dipping, and most people buying a Switch already had a ps4/x1/pc.
It's not like it was one or the other.

Lelou

Disappointed at the amount of "Fuck you, got mine" posts. Capcom could be making everyone happy right now.

Always when this kind of things happen i really don't get this kind of people? Is this because of the all console warz thing?

PantsuJo

Generations sold less than MH4U, right? *

Maybe Capcom consider this a "bad results" and this is why it won't be localized.

I mean, they considered the 3.5mln of RE7 as bad result too, so I guess this is their new policy.

Edit:
* in the west

RalchAC

The head of the development team wanted to make a game for the big screen. So yep. For the fun of it sounds about right.

It's certainly amusing, all this situation. I don't think they'll drop the Switch, since it's a handheld and MH dropping handhelds is as weird as Diablo not releasing on PC. We'll see.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well tbf I don't see capcom releasing 2 mh in one year so if mhw is out in 2018, I don't see the so called portable version being released in the same year so that I agree with you. For the western market of MHXX is to be released I think it will be after mhw.. so i guess I am just gonna make use of Amazon Japan again
World is for the west portable would almost certainly be Japan only until 2019.

KingBroly

Banned
Generations sold less than MH4U, right? *

Maybe Capcom consider this a "bad results" and this is why it won't be localized.

I mean, they considered the 3.5mln of RE7 as bad result too, so I guess this is their new policy.

Edit:
* in the west

Expectations for Generations were set lower in their fiscal reports.

XX didn't hit expectations (along with every other Capcom title last year). Why? Probably because a lot of people, at least in North America were pleading for a Switch/NX version of the thing.

Top Bottom