• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom would like Dragon's Dogma to sell 10M copies, be 2nd best selling PS3 in Japan

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
It will bomb hard. Even if it's awesome.

I think people are just turning away from a lot of these Japanese action-focused games, at least from sales perspectives.

I like them, but games like Shadows of the Damned, Vanquish, Binary Domain, etc just seem to get ignored so often. You can almost predict what sales will be like. And for some reason I'm getting that vibe from Dragon's Dogma. Maybe it's the blah title for me, I don't know.

I'm getting all nostalgic for the Icewind Dale release...if I recall correctly, that actually came out the same day as Diablo II, and many reviewers implored people to try it as well as Diablo II, because nothing they could say would have convinced people to try it instead.

Sadly we no longer live in a time when a AAA game can get by on being a "me too"-type game, and that appears to be especially true for Dragon's Dogma. There is only room for one RPGzilla this May and DD ain't it.

Globox_82

Banned
10 million?

th

Since they did that BS RE6 demo thing with xbox version I lost interest and I am not getting it. Maybe later on, used.

Derrick01

Banned
"We want this game to sell 10 million. We're going to do that by not even releasing it on PC."

I mean I get that PC is not as big as the consoles but if you're going for 10 million you can't ignore one of the 3 big platforms. It's stupid.

Kusagari

On the off chance it's incredible somehow or that RE6 demo is the beez neez? Lol.

There's still zero chance. There is literally nothing they can do to make this reach 1 million in Japan.

Ron Paul has a better chance of winning the Republican nomination than this happening.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dragons Dogma Hunter Vita. Online multiplayer. Craftable loot and gear from recoloured Hydra's, Drakes, etc in smaller yet still action orientated environments.

Maybe then, Capcom.

BHZ Mayor

I'm getting all nostalgic for the Icewind Dale release...if I recall correctly, that actually came out the same day as Diablo II, and many reviewers implored people to try it as well as Diablo II, because nothing they could say would have convinced people to try it instead.

Sadly we no longer live in a time when a AAA game can get by on being a "me too"-type game, and that appears to be especially true for Dragon's Dogma. There is only room for one RPGzilla this May and DD ain't it.

That's not sad at all.

I think the producer's quotes are being deliberately misinterpreted.

No, I think most people can parse that Capcom expects it to sell 1.5 million units, but hopes to reach 10 million. They're just gleefully positing that it'll be impossible, since a) Demon's/Dark Souls hasn't reached 10 million in sales to date and it had a much warmer critical and commercial reception than Dragon's Dogma will probably get, b) 10 million is an extremely high number for any game to reach in terms of sales, let alone a new IP, and c) Capcom is involved in some capacity, and Capcom fucking sucks.

I'm looking forward to the game, but I think they should be hoping this doesn't become the most traded in title of all time.

I wonder if the amount of people who will buy this for the RE6 demo and then throw DD up on craiglist could satisfy the total demand of people who wanted to buy it new.

I think they looked at Skyrim and drooled.

Poor Capcom.

I could see Skryim's popularity rubbing off a little bit on the game provided they advertise it. It's probably got one one of the most westernized art styles for a Japanese game in awhile. I doubt they'll get anywhere near 10 million sales though. I can't help but to think the odd online "pawn" system is not going to go over well. It just seems so weird.

It will bomb hard. Even if it's awesome.

I think people are just turning away from a lot of these Japanese action-focused games, at least from sales perspectives.

I like them, but games like Shadows of the Damned, Vanquish, Binary Domain, etc just seem to get ignored so often. You can almost predict what sales will be like. And for some reason I'm getting that vibe from Dragon's Dogma. Maybe it's the blah title for me, I don't know.

Lack of advertising is something that all of those games have in common. Dragon's Dogma isn't going to have that problem. Capcom will market it for two reasons

1.) It's their most expensive production ever and they need it to sell.

2.) They're shipping it with a pass to play the RE6 demo.

It also isn't an action game in the same way that those games are. It's Capcom's attempt at an open world game.

I don't think this game is even going to sell 350k in Japan must less 10 million WW .
If they wanted to push DD they should have made a PC version , along with adding MP to it , also from what i understand it not really that long .

LOL.

It's not Final Fantasy, it's not Dragon Quest, it's not even fucking Metal Gear Solid.

Good luck with 1 million copies sold, Capcom.

10 million... lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I agree with those who are shocked more by the 1 million troo...err, copies forecasted for just Japan. I mean... HOW CAN THEY THINK TO SELL SO MUCH? It's a polished, possibly great game, right. But for things such as the lack of multiplayer it can't be so massive. What the hell, Capcom.

LOL.

It's not Final Fantasy, it's not Dragon Quest, it's not even fucking Metal Gear Solid.

Good luck with 1 million copies sold, Capcom.

10 million... lol.

Like I said, Capcom Japan is seemingly run by some delusional ass people

Same people who couldn't hold on to Clover, Inafune, Mikami, etc.

Nibel

If this had multiplayer - still won't reach 10 million :lol
Anybody knows how much they want to spend on marketing and stuff?

Toki767

They'll be lucky to sell 1 million...unless the PS3 version in Japan all of a sudden comes with a demo of a new Monster Hunter game.

TheExodu5

Banned
While this does sound ludicrous, I'm not going to say a thing after Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games...this thread is reminding me quite a bit of that right now.

Anteater

While this does sound ludicrous, I'm not going to say a thing after Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games...this thread is reminding me quite a bit of that right now.

Well I think it's going to sell well in Japan myself, I don't expect it to be that high in the west though.

This is nothing like Mario & Sonic. Mario & Sonic is on platforms receptive to both of the mascots and party games. This has nothing going for it other than Capcom's name and the budget.

ezekial45

Banned
10 Million is a stretch, but I'd still like it to succeed regardless. I'm just very glad to see they went all in on a new IP. Considering how conservative they've been as of late, I'm surprised they just didn't settle on making DMC5 or something.

Top Bottom