• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom would like Dragon's Dogma to sell 10M copies, be 2nd best selling PS3 in Japan

V_Arnold

For 10 million games sold, they will need:

a) A HUGE marketing push
b) A game that reviews at LEAST 90+ on metacritic. Every single reviewer has to love it.
c) I do not know... long tails, definitely. LOOOONG tails. Something that has been VERY hard to do for anyone that is not COD.

And even with all these (which is basically present with Skyrim), I cant see that they will go all out on marketing for this - even if I graciously assume that the game is actually amazing to play.

But if they do 4-5 million with a HUGE push and an amazingly positive feedback, that can already be considered an amazing job for a new IP in this day and age.

I wish them good luck - more fantasy is ALWAYS good.

Holy fucking shit I was eating and I nearly swallowed a mouthful of rice.

wtf is wrong with them!?

Edit: Jeez I need some water now. These guys are fucking delusional.

Loofy

Skyrim also had PC sales, so capcom is already at a disadvantage.

Game looks really good though, only way capcom can mess it up is by having some ridiculous DLC content...

Azure J

They have to find a way to rationalize knowingly making something with a strong chance of bomba and hoarding all their S tier talent into it for God knows how long while everyone else gets to play with the non-utilized IPs for shits and giggles.

It really isn't looking good for them, is it?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
The non co-op/real online ordeal really made me turn away from even trying it.

But this whole crazy, 'hugest project evar' thing is now making me curious. Capcom's version of Dark Souls? How much did that game sell?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

a) A HUGE marketing push
b) A game that reviews at LEAST 90+ on metacritic. Every single reviewer has to love it.
c) I do not know... long tails, definitely. LOOOONG tails. Something that has been VERY hard to do for anyone that is not COD.

And even with all these (which is basically present with Skyrim), I cant see that they will go all out on marketing for this - even if I graciously assume that the game is actually amazing to play.

But if they do 4-5 million with a HUGE push and an amazingly positive feedback, that can already be considered an amazing job for a new IP in this day and age.

Let's make a quick list of games that sold 10 million copies (primarily) on the 360/PS3:

-Call of Duty 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8
-FIFA 10, 11, and 12
-Battlefield 3
-Assassin's Creed 2 (AC1 got close at 9 million)
-Skyrim
Edit:
-Grand Theft Auto IV
-Red Dead Redemption

Am I missing anything? Some of those had some good PC sales to boot.

Shtof

a) A HUGE marketing push

Assassin's Creed did 8 million in 2 years and that game metascored around 80. That was, however, with huge hype levels and great marketing(I think). At the time, the install base was far smaller, but then again, people may be more open to new franchises earlier in a console generation.

Let's make a quick list of games that sold 10 million copies (primarily) on the 360/PS3:

-FIFA 10, 11, and 12
-Battlefield 3
-Skyrim

Only some 1st party stuff I think (Halo 3, Kinect Adventures/Sports).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Their goal is probably to establish an IP that can sell upto 10 millions in the feature with a new release - this would make sense.

I mean how many new 3rd party IPs this gen sold +10 million with their first title ? Right.

Setero

Neo Member

-FIFA 10, 11, and 12
-Battlefield 3
-Skyrim

Grand Theft Auto 4?

Crub

It makes no sense for a game that's aiming for the Skyrim crowd to not have a day 1 PC version.

I don't understand what Capcom is thinking. It's sad to have seen them go from "Capgod" to "Crapcom" in just a couple of years.

-FIFA 10, 11, and 12
-Battlefield 3
-Skyrim

Halo 3

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't even use drugs, and I still want to smoke whatever shit is floating around the Capcom offices nowadays.

Because goddamn.

Foffy

Banned
I'm at a loss of comprehension here. They want a new IP to...be one of the best selling games on a platform that's been around for 5 years? And appear to break records as a new IP to sell 10 million in this age?

I know Capcom has had countless games lately packed to the brim with idiotic ideas behind them, but whoever they have running the company has no fucking clue what video games are about. It's like everything coming from Capcom now is almost trying to be as shitty as possible.

I don't think anybody would even reasonably expect these numbers even if they were high on the most elegant of drugs. Is Capcom transcending here?
To bankruptcy, perhaps?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm at a loss of comprehension here. They want a new IP to...be one of the best selling games on a platform that's been around for 5 years? And appear to break records as a new IP to sell 10 million in this age?

I know Capcom has had countless games lately packed to the brim with idiotic ideas behind them, but whoever they have running the company has no fucking clue what video games are about. It's like everything coming from Capcom now is almost trying to be as shitty as possible.

I don't think anybody would even reasonably expect these numbers even if they were high on the most elegant of drugs. Is Capcom transcending here?
To bankruptcy, perhaps?

I think they're just looking to replicate the success of Skyrim, which is exclusively single player. The buzz on the game has been pretty low for the most part, but it's starting to increase now that they're showing more of it.

I recall last year that they said they wanted this game to be a million seller at the very least. I think that's perfectly doable. They just need to get that demo out and push the game very hard.

Foffy

Banned
I think they're just looking to replicate the success of Skyrim, which is exclusively single player. The buzz on the game has been pretty low for the most part, but it's starting to increase now that they're showing more of it.

I recall last year that they said they wanted this game to be a million seller at the very least. I think that's perfectly doable. They just need to get that demo out and push the game very hard.

Million seller, perhaps. I don't think that's too much to ask, if it's really, really good. But 10 million? They expect it to sell more than the Super Mario Galaxy games?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Didn't they say before that they expected to sell 400K copies or something like that?

400K seems a lot more reasonable.

It's a shame so many fixate on not having real time online co-op. And in many ways that's a bummer, but I really do credit games for including interesting ways of multiplayer in single player driven games. I think people are under valuing just how interesting Dragon's Dogma Pawn sharing online mechanic is.

It sounds drab on description, like - "oh big whoop, you can leave fucking messages for other players" ala - Dark/Demon Souls. But for those of us who have played the Souls games, it becomes really the crutch of the single player. I have similar hopes for Dragons Dogma.

Also, Hideaki Itsuno is a director, not a producer - so it's kind of odd how they kind of asked him a producer oriented question. Have faith, Itsuno is god like in honest to goodness skill oriented design and character control interaction. This WILL BE a great action game set in a full scale RPG world. That combination does not exist in most (aka, all) open world RPG's. Kingdom of Amular came close though.

Kayo-kun

Capcom is the most delusional developer that exists. Dragon's Dogma selling 10 million, DmC selling 5 millions, what a fucking joke.

One thing I find Capcom doesn't do nearly enough is advertise their games. Of course they're not as big as EA, Activision, 2K, Bethesda...but I can't think of how many disasters they've have this gen that would have done better if people actually knew about them.

They did a good job advertising Street Fighter IV, and Monster Hunter Tri, and both of those were successes, but if they really want Dragon's Dogma to sell, they gotta push it. They really, really need to make it look like a multiplayer Skyrim in the west, so there's a chance it'll be half-way successfull. Even if the game isn't like that at all. Which it's not.

ced

Insane.

I want this game to be as good and successful as the next guy, but it just doesn't look like it.

Either way, can't wait, and please don't suck.

Capcpcom must be on an almighty than thou high. Projected 2 or 3 Million, probably. 10 million N-E-V-E-R. I personally predict 1 Million, cause DD would never surpass western made games of that genre.

And that stunt they're pulling with a free download of RE 6, I guarantee that people who bought it just for that would re-sell it on eBay.

Top Bottom