• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America getting 13 ft bronze statue in Brooklyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMUSIX

Did you complain about the Rocky statue too?

And the statue of Peter Pan in London, or Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn in Missouri, or Little Mermaid in Copenhagen, or Tintin in Brussels, or this one:
c2F7bpp.jpg

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Mhmmm, y'all laughed when I called Chris Evans the actor of our generation, and yet his portrayal of this character was so beloved by the general public that Cap's now getting a statue. Wow!

LMAO where are the Iron Man stans at now?! WHERE is Tony Stark's statue hiding? Ain't nobody building sculptures of that pompous ass!

M4oe5vt.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
eh, Spider-Man is definitely first (though he'd have to be in Queens), but Cap is a close second when I think of super heroes I associate with New York. I'm a lifelong comic reader but the movie cemented that for me.

I know Cap is from Brooklyn but I feel he tends to stand for something much larger than just NYC. I'd figure his statue in Washington DC might be better. I always felt Spidey was much more directly related to NYC.

So you know about the four point play???????

I have not, I just thought you were mad I was taking a shot at New Yorkers hah.

nah, Cap is brooklyn

Spidey should get one in Forest Hills though

Maybe if Captain America sported a nasty beard, a man bun, and wore out of style clothing while hitting up his favorite Starbucks while wearing a Bernie Sanders pin.

Johndoey

Banned
Personally I would think a Spiderman Statue would be much more fitting to New York than Captain America. When you think Superheros in NYC you think of Spiderman, maybe DD, but not Captain America.
Cap is a New Yorker based primarily in New York though.
Besides that character is important to NY in a way people overlook.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
A part of it is just home town pride and another part just another ploy by the city to attract tourists. This certainly isn't the first time something like this has been done.

920x920.jpg

Pretty neat, imo. Captain America, like Superman, is a good symbol.

Side-note: Obama should be getting his own statue fairly soon in western South Dakota.

Jumeira

Banned
Anyone else find this distasteful ? Memorials of hero's should surely be based on real acts and courage not make believe characters. Not trying to stir things, kind of seems tacky and discredits the real men/women that have achieved great things.

edit: OK it's going to sit in a fantasy section of the park, easier to swallow.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Goku is a moron though.

Hey, he is a genius when it comes to fighting!

The soldier so kind and brave he carries a shield in place of a gun is hardly a killing machine.

That's what we've got Iron Man for.

Killing people with his bare hands and a frisbee, the madman.

Who'd that inspire? Kids with good genes?

Get a Tien statue. Show how you can aspire to greatness in a world without relying on saiyan privilege.

Well, if we're gonna take that route....Krillin statue it is.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
America is behind the times. Friggin China has three more Optimus Prime statutes than we do.

Jesus. We need an Optimus prime statue asap. Or at least a speed racer one in motor city

Ophelion

There are people out there who think Rocky was a real person.

And people who think Sherlock Holmes really solved murders in Victorian London.

I'm just saying, there's going to be people someday who will be really disappointed when they finally learn that Steve Rogers did not, in fact, punch out Hitler to win WWII.

Have we run out of real heroes or our are standards now so high we have to turn to fiction?
I think Captain America is surely a better role model than any real person, yeah?

Who'd that inspire? Kids with good genes?

Get a Tien statue. Show how you can aspire to greatness in a world without relying on saiyan privilege.
But nobody likes Tien. It would depress children and make them cry.

Jackpot

Banned
He's a symbol of what we should aspire to be.

He's fictional because a real person couldn't act or operate or hold those ideals in this world. He's isn't even fully realised as a person, he's a collection of tropes. You may as well ask people to aspire to be Spongebob. And let's not pretend this isn't just riding the wave of popularity of a movie franchise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
DerZuhälter;209225806 said:
Yet they never made a statue for Joe Frazier. Fuckin Philly.

I know right! Muhammad Ali did a number on his public image and I don't think it ever recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom