• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America getting 13 ft bronze statue in Brooklyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceWolf

Banned
qadZK4O.jpg

Your Kinship, the wormpeople have finally managed to unearth the Bronze Statue we discovered in the Western Wastes.

Excellent. This will teach us much of the beings that dwelt here. What did they discover?

Well, the statue appears to depict a great tribal leader, an inspiring female writer of the Tri-Digital age who went by the name of Ca-Trine Amythest, in accordance with the statue's markings. Also, this hero apparently enjoyed eating Brook-lyn.

What was that?

A brand of neurological soap, we believe Sir.

I see. Do you think anyone will get this reference?

I doubt it, your Kinship.

Very good.

Philly40

Modern bronze statues always look terrible.

It's like city officials ask a sculptor "can you make us a statue, but don't worry about the proportions?"

And why is this sad?

Well, if I understand correctly, this thing is being put in a public park. So instead of putting a statue of a real life great scientist, or civil rights leader, or inventor or something, they're putting up a statue of a friggin super hero. That's pretty sad to me.

BokehKing

Banned
The quote is fucking perfect
The world puts Cap on this huge pedestal but at the end of the day
He's just a kid from Brooklyn

I rewinded that part of the trailer several times when it first came out, made me proud to be a Brooklynite

- J - D -

I wonder what the municipal/financial/legal process involves when it comes to installing a statue of a copyrighted fictional character in a public place. Does Marvel just pay a fee and boom, Captain America statue in Prospect Park? Or is there more to it than just a financial agreement? Does the city share in the financial obligations? Is tax payer money involved?

edit: nvm, I did some reading.

Bad Trip

Banned
This is fucking stupid. All the real people alive and dead to honor or at least credit for a positive impact on society and people are picking comic book heros ? But of course the people these movies are made for will flock to this bronze marketing ploy , smh lol.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This is fucking stupid. All the real people alive and dead to honor or at least credit for a positive impact on society and people are picking comic book heros ? But of course the people these movies are made for will flock to this bronze marketing ploy , smh lol.

Nothing quite wrangles in the fools like the bronze marketing ploy.

BZ.jpg

I have an idea, Jackson! We'll erect thousands of statues, all across America! And they'll all be of superheroes! Captain America, Iron Man...even the obscure ones, like Moon Knight and Acorn Boy! And if anyone protests...we can sway the fools with...the bronze marketing ploy!

That's gold, Sir! Gold!

No, Jackson! It's Bronze!

(BOTH MEN LAUGH EVILLY)

Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I loved that Rocky statue in Philly

- J - D -

Have we run out of real heroes or our are standards now so high we have to turn to fiction?

Why waste this on a fictional hero rather than dedicate it to a real one?

Anyone else find this distasteful ? Memorials of hero's should surely be based on real acts and courage not make believe characters. Not trying to stir things, kind of seems tacky and discredits the real men/women that have achieved great things.

edit: OK it's going to sit in a fantasy section of the park, easier to swallow.

Well, if I understand correctly, this thing is being put in a public park. So instead of putting a statue of a real life great scientist, or civil rights leader, or inventor or something, they're putting up a statue of a friggin super hero. That's pretty sad to me.

Your frustrations are understandable, if a bit misguided and not directed at any particular party. This statue was funded by Marvel. They're not gonna put up one of a real life figure of note unless it's of benefit to them.

It's not taking the place of a possible statue of a real person because the installment of that kind of statue would be the result of your local government making a decision involving your tax payer dollars. Or it'd be a result of a fundraiser like the one that paid for the Joe Frazier statue posted on this page. Or it'd be the result of private funding by whatever organization.

Statues of fictional characters exist all over the place. Look through this thread for numerous examples. Get over it.

I hope that instead of spending $60 on a video game that you instead consider donating that $60 to a local charity where it's value could have a much more positive impact on society. Don't fall for the plastic marketing ploy.

CloudWolf

In a thousand years archeologists are going to unearth this statue and people will think he was an actual person that existed.

In a thousand years archeologists are going to unearth this statue and people will think he was an actual person that existed.

Yes, because while this bronze statue will exist all physical and digital records will somehow have been completely destroyed and unrecoverable. I think we're WELL past the point of history being lost in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom