• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review Thread

MercuryLS

Banned
I got in on a preorder for $35CDN, I'm looking forward to getting this tomorrow. I love puzzle games and this looks fantastic.

I couldn't say that for the Wii U in 2014. It had a few great games, but not enough to fill a full year.

2015 can, though, assuming there's no delays.

Perhaps not in amount but rarely does a system have a year with four games that are among the best their respective genres have ever seen.

Haunted

I'm gonna' pass on the game, unless I see it for $5 or so. I'm just not that into puzzle games.
So you're waiting for a price mistake? Nintendo games usually don't go that low except during clearance sales a couple years down the road.

Then again, fair enough if that's your threshold. I never would've gotten Pikmin and W101 otherwise (10€ each during a price mistake in the e-shop).

hatchx

Banned
Really surprised the conversation is fixated around price, and whether or not it was 10$ or 20$ too high. This is a site full of gamer enthusiasts who blow hundreds if not thousands of dollars on games a year. 10-20$ is never going to stop me from a game I want to play, maybe if I'm on the fence about it and see a sweet deal I'll buy a game I otherwise wouldn't, but this is EAD Tokyo we're talking about. Anyways, for the people worried about the price, this game will get an eshop deal or a price drop at some point.

My main worry in the reviews is the camera controls. GameXplain gave a good analysis of it. I'm a little shocked you can't turn wii gamepad gyro aiming off. That seems like such an oversite. As well, they said the angles were 'too far' or 'too close', but I don't know if that will matter on my 50" TV.

I'm gonna' pass on the game, unless I see it for $5 or so. I'm just not that into puzzle games.

Same here, but given the pricing structure of retail Nintendo games, neither of us will probably end up playing it. I liked the Captain Toad stuff in SM3DW, but only as a little diversion from the main game. I don't think I'd enjoy a game consisting entirely of that, especially at that price point.

Same here, but given the pricing structure of retail Nintendo games, neither of us will probably end up playing it. I liked the Captain Toad stuff in SM3DW, but only as a little diversion from the main game. I don't think I'd enjoy a game consisting entirely of that, especially at that price point.

This is my feeling

In response to the person above:

I don't know if it'll ever drop to $5. That's just a pipedream. However, it's a game I could live without and one I'm not willing to spend much on. I'd maybe bite for $10, but $20 is too much right now.

K-A-Deman

There are actually four separate objectives in each level:
completion, all gems, secret challenge, and time trials.
:)

The
secret challenge
is aptly named then.

Don't bother then. If the only way you'd buy the game is thanks to an error in a system, it's not a game you'd have an interest in anyway. Might as well save that five dollars for something else.

Hugstable

Banned
This is my feeling

In response to the person above:

I don't know if it'll ever drop to $5. That's just a pipedream. However, it's a game I could live without and one I'm not willing to spend much on. I'd maybe bite for $10, but $20 is too much right now.

I would pass on it then, You will probably never see this game for $5, and it sounds like you have zero interest anyway

I would pass on it then, You will probably never see this game for $5, and it sounds like you have zero interest anyway

I have a bit, but many other games take precedence. If my backlog wasn't huge, I'd probably bite at full price and just sell it for $10 less if I didn't like it.

However, I've got a lot to play.

I could've reviewed it, but due to my lack of interest in puzzle games and being unsure of whether this would be for me, I passed it on to someone else.

hold dat L Nocturnowl

Pfft, a mere Metascore of 80? Your Game of the Forever is officially confirmed for Game of the... Flop!
Damn that was awful even by my standards, nuts to this, I'm out of here until January.

3ln4KBN.gif

Sify64

The responses about the price is kinda funny. I think it's crazy to expect an EAD game to be at the price of an indie game or even lower at launch.

Nice scores! Musthave for me and my GF.
I do hear it's a bit on the easy side.

Very sad to see i can't buy it for her for christmas... Why not release it in EU too? What is the reason for that?

OuterLimits

Super excited. My wife and I will have a blast playing this. Glad to see it getting good reviews. $40 is a good price for me.

Reviews are about what I expected. Never really got the hype for this game. Don't see it selling well.

And Toad has never been a very popular character compared to other characters in the Mario universe.

TI82

Banned
I couldn't say that for the Wii U in 2014. It had a few great games, but not enough to fill a full year.

2015 can, though, assuming there's no delays.

I keep seeing people say this, but what is planned for 2015?

A side Yoshi game, a small Kirby game, Xenoblade (maybe), Splatoon, and?

Just doesn't seem full enough to cover the year especially since they have no 3rd party so they have to carry thr console themselves.

emb

Can't wait to try this (on Christmas day). The Toad levels in 3D World left me a bit lukewarm. I'm hoping with more of them to play with, they get a bit more puzzling.

I wasn't too excited before, but seeing this thread is getting me there. Not even the review scores or the content, but rather just seeing a review thread and knowing the game is about to release.

WonderzL

Banned

Just doesn't seem full enough to cover the year especially since they have no 3rd party so they have to carry thr console themselves.

Devil's Third, Star Fox Wii U, Zelda U, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, Mario vs DK are the ones that come to mind. You could argue that Star Fox and Zelda won't come until 2016, of course.

ghibli99

Dang, better scores than I was expecting. Some slightly lower ones on the fringes, but this looks like it's going to be a winner! My wallet is busted after this weekend, but I think I'll have to make room for one more.

And wow, people are complaining about this being $40 and want it to be $5? LOL

oti

Banned
Let's put it this way: Captain Toad costs as much as ~10 Destiny Story mission, ~5 strikes and some multiplayer maps. This is not supposed to sound mean, just putting it out there. I'm sure there are people who love Destiny and will happily pay $40 for two expansions.

Mohonky

This game looks awesome, so pissed its coming to Australia in January.

Looks like a game that would lend itself to some decent DLC though and so far Nintendo have been nailing DLC price and content.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Devil's Third, Star Fox Wii U, Zelda U, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, Mario vs DK are the ones that come to mind. You could argue that Star Fox and Zelda won't come until 2016, of course.
Fatal Frame could make it. Moreso than a new Wave Race, that's for sure. At least we'll have a new MK DLC.

maxcriden

Zelda, Mario Maker, Mario Part 10, Mario vs. DK, Star Fox, Project Giant Robot. FWIW, Yoshi is not a "side" Yoshi game. No such thing. It's as mainline as Yoshi games get.

Hugstable

Banned

Zelda, and that Kirby game is a pretty BIG deal for those of us who really loved Canvas Curse, of which I'm a very huge fan. Splatoon and Xenoblade are also shaping up to be quite amazing. Doesn't seem bad at all for a lineup of first party games, you have to remember that third party is kinda non-existant on the system. First Party wise for next year seems like Nintendo is gonna be killing it though.

wanders

I have this game preordered

But I might have to agree that the price is a little to high as their is not a lot to do once you beat the game.

That GiantBomb review kinda has me worried. I'm just imaging the levels blazing by and before I know it they're done. Is there any news about future DLC?

The only other game I want is Hyrule Warriors but that's still $55 on Amazon. I'm waiting for it to hit around low 40s like Tropical Freeze.

WonderzL

Banned
That GiantBomb review kinda has me worried. I'm just imaging the levels blazing by and before I know it they're done. Is there any news about future DLC?

The only other game I want is Hyrule Warriors but that's still $55 on Amazon. I'm waiting for it to hit around low 40s like Tropical Freeze.

The 2015 amiibo implementation makes me think we'll have some kind of expansion to the game, but perhaps it's wishful thinking.

Afrodium

Banned
I hadn't been paying any attention to this game because I don't have a Wii U. I just watched some gameplay videos and my goodness this looks beautiful.

My review is live!

Spoiler: I liked it!

I know it's Examiner and I'm aware of the reputation Examiner deservedly has here, but those who know me from the Smash 3DS/Wii U threads and other threads on NeoGAF know I'm legit. Plus I'm also with GameXplain and you guys love GameXplain, so really, don't let the Examiner link scare you off!

CrisKre

Its funny to see EAD Tokyo shit a game in a year and it get better reviews and more polish that 90% of the AAAaaaAA games in the industry.

Godly developers. Will buy.

GolazoDan

Just to kinda respond to a few of the comments on the first page that were like "Is it just me or does Giant Bomb give Nintendo lower review scores?" "YEAH!" that's still continuing every now and then, here's a sample of Wii U games reviewed by Giant Bomb.

Captain Toad
Super Mario 3D World
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros
Zombie U
Pikmin 3

Giant Bomb gave those the following scores: 3, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4 and 4 respectively. An average score of 4.14/5.

Scaling other websites' scores down to be out of 5, Polygon gave them 4.25, 4.5, 3.75, 4.5, 4.5, 4 and 4. Average score: 4.21.

Gamespot: 4, 4.5, 5, 4, 4.5, 2.25 (!), 4. Average of 4.03, rather skewed by that Zombie U review.

Everyone basically averages out at 4. These reviews were all done by different people with different tastes. If you know anything about Dan Ryckert you know he fucking loves Nintendo so trying to paint him as "towing the party line", bit off the mark. Sometimes people don't like things quite as much as you do, and that's okay.

Neiteio

My review is live!

Spoiler: I liked it!

I know it's Examiner and I'm aware of the reputation Examiner deservedly has here, but those who know me from the Smash 3DS/Wii U threads and other threads on NeoGAF know I'm legit. Plus I'm also with GameXplain and you guys love GameXplain, so really, don't let the Examiner link scare you off!
So Ash, how's that English localization of Eyes of Bayonetta 2 coming along? It'll be on store shelves later this week, right? Riiiiiiiiight? I'm being perfectly reasonable!

A happy game is something this market desperately needs to see a lot more of. A totally unpretentious, colorful, cheerful videogame with no overwhelming sense of peril, no miserable characters complaining about their vapid emotional turmoil, and none of this “moral choice” gibberish.

That's heartwarming and very appreciated. Thank god there's Nintendo.

I'd much rather pay for this lovingly-designed, complete game with unlockable content than $60 to be a beta tester for a buggy, microtransaction-filled, low FPS, app-tethered, pre-order bonus/DLC-riddled third-party game from the companies you know I'm talking about.

also this

Nintendo has said they plan on having at least one relevant release each month. Furthermore if you follow Nintendo, you'll know that they haven't revealed all games we'll be getting in 2015 yet as they often announce titles only a few months (or less) before they launch. With that in mind and the titles currently announced, we can assume 2015 will be a year with a decent set of releases.

Also Yoshi's Wooly World isn't just a 'side' Yoshi game.

sntstbn

Neo Member
Holy crap, how long did Champion's Road take you!?!? I finished it in like 18 hours haha.

After about losing 200 lives in Champion's Road, I decided that it wouldn't be healthy to keep trying.

So I guess I still haven't completed the game.

I did play through it with my girlfriend, who doesn't play videogames, and I went back through most of the levels to get all the stars.

It's the most fun I've had playing videogames as an adult, too.

Mory Dunz

...And Zelda U is a side zelda game right?

Top Bottom