• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Review Thread

randomkid

I bet half of the GIANTBOMB HATES NINTENDOO!!! complaints wouldn't be popping up if the OP had included the name of the reviewer instead of only the name of the site. I was hoping that was gonna be the new standard for review threads here.

Chuck

Still without luck
I bet half of the GIANTBOMB HATES NINTENDOO!!! complaints wouldn't be popping up if the OP had included the name of the reviewer instead of only the name of the site. I was hoping that was gonna be the new standard for review threads here.

I wish that would be the standard. People review games, not websites.

hatethis.png

Waluigi will probably get some shine whenever Nintendo decides to make a Wario Bros. game. There have been quite a few sing Wario games in the past, but it doesn't look like Waluigi was playable in any of them.

Maybe I'll add that in later today if I get some time. It's a good idea.

Edit - Went ahead and added the authors for all reviews in the OP (except one, which I haven't been able to find yet). Moving forward, any review threads I make will include each review's author, alongside the site they reviewed the game for. My apologies for not doing this sooner.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
More like 6+ hours, the plus coming if you are really bad at the (simple to me) puzzles or want to 100%
Why for Pete's wouldn't one want to 100% a puzzle game? Because they've seen the epic story's finale? Because they've topped the leaderboards?

randomkid

Maybe I'll add that in later today if I get some time. It's a good idea.

Edit - Went ahead and added the authors for all reviews in the OP (except one, which I haven't been able to find yet). Moving forward, any review threads I make will include each review's author, alongside the site they reviewed the game for. My apologies for not doing this sooner.

Haha you don't have to apologize dude, hardly any one else does it yet either. Good lookin out though!

Peltz

Its funny to see EAD Tokyo shit a game in a year and it get better reviews and more polish that 90% of the AAAaaaAA games in the industry.

Godly developers. Will buy.

Oh come on... they definitely don't "shit a game in a year". EAD's various teams (especially Tokyo) often use gameplay experiments that have existed behind Nintendo's closed doors for years in their latest games... sometimes such concepts have existed for decades in prototype form.

It's not really fair at this point to compare other developers to EAD Tokyo. Their well from which to draw from is unparalleled. It's what makes them godly.

Nintendo never starts from scratch these days because they're never willing to throw away a great idea that they cannot yet execute.

maxcriden

Cool, thanks. Totally missed this during E3.

If you're interested, Mario vs. DK traces its origins back to DK '94, one of the greatest puzzle platform games ever. The series then starts on GBA and has continued to the present. The Wii U eShop game will be the first console game in the series.

Control issues? What control issues could this possibly have?

In some of the more intricate or faster-paced levels, the play mechanics and interface aren't quite up to snuff. It reminds me a bit of Metroid Prime — brilliant at a leisurely, puzzle-focused pace, but clumsy as an action game. This is especially true of stages that involve heavy use of touchscreen mechanics, such us spinning valves or tapping to shift blocks; a full decade after the DS introduced us to the folly of such things, game designers are still expecting players to switch control modality between buttons and touchscreens in an instant. And it still sucks dick, yo.

samn

Why for Pete's wouldn't one want to 100% a puzzle game? Because they've seen the epic story's finale? Because they've topped the leaderboards?

The Wired review says that the extra challenges aren't much fun.

TI82

Banned
Devil's Third, Star Fox Wii U, Zelda U, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, Mario vs DK are the ones that come to mind. You could argue that Star Fox and Zelda won't come until 2016, of course.

Are people actually excited for Devils Third? Game looked like garbage at E3.

Cool about Starfox though, hope that comes out and is really fun.

WonderzL

Banned
Are people actually excited for Devils Third? Game looked like garbage at E3.

Cool about Starfox though, hope that comes out and is really fun.

Opinions, dude. I don't care about that game, but there are people listening everytime Itagaki talks about it here on GAF. I'm talking about games, and 2015 doesn't look like it will be 2014.2, where we had 3 Wii U games from January until the end of September.

TI82

Banned
Opinions, dude. I don't care about that game, but there are people listening everytime Itagaki talks about it here on GAF. I'm talking about games, and 2015 doesn't look like it will be 2014.2, where we had 3 Wii U games from January until the end of September.

Fair enough man. Sure hope so for the single console owners out there. I will say that 2015 looks stacked for all consoles not just Wii u.

Conezays

If you're interested, Mario vs. DK traces its origins back to DK '94, one of the greatest puzzle platform games ever. The series then starts on GBA and has continued to the present. The Wii U eShop game will be the first console game in the series.

Thanks. I'm aware of the series, just didn't know a Wii U game was coming out. I have the last game on the 3DS and DS before that, etc. DK '94 still probably reigns supreme though.

TI82

Banned
So, you hate the concept, but would find more value in it if it did more of what you hated...

Maybe this game just isn't for you

I can see why I didn't like it and some others did. I can also see an inherent quality to price tag. I don't see $40 value in a game with 100 levels of similar length to what was in 3D World.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Hugstable

Banned
I can see why I didn't like it and some others did. I can also see an inherent quality to price tag. I don't see $40 value in a game with 100 levels of similar length to what was in 3D World.

Do you get what I'm saying?

If you didn't like the concept of the original, why are you so invested in the reviews of the game that they made out of a concept you got so tired of?

TI82

Banned
If you didn't like the concept of the original, why are you so invested in the reviews of the game that they made out of a concept you got so tired of?

Still interested in how it performs since it is a pretty different step from Nintendo's previous development style. Smaller games coming out more often for less money etc

Feichaw

I want to buy this game so much, but Nintendo won't release it in Brazil. I don't want to import it either. In fact, this move pissed me off so much that I'm considering to stop buying Nintendo games for a long time. We don't even have a Wii U eShop yet, and I'm not supporting them by creating an american/canadian account to buy digital games. It's ridiculous.

DrWong

Still interested in how it performs since it is a pretty different step from Nintendo's previous development style. Smaller games coming out more often for less money etc

Indeed. I hope you appreciate how good it's critically performing then.

Top Bottom