• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Arcade game 'Haunted Castle' & Ninja Warriors are up on US & EU PSN!

Tizoc

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...stle/cid=UP0571-CUSA09306_00-HAMPRDC000000001
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...iors/cid=UP0571-CUSA05116_00-HAMPRDC000000001
Each game is USD 8 on US PSN.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...stle/cid=EP8908-CUSA09302_00-HAMPRDC000000001
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...iors/cid=EP8908-CUSA09273_00-HAMPRDC000000001

GBP 5.79 for each on UK PSN.

Originally released in 1988, Haunted Castle is an arcade game based on Castlevania (it has the same name in Japan even). It even used the classic cover for its JP flyer. Dat US flyer doe

Ninja Warriors was a game known for the time for having a horizontally large screen, which in 1987 was something of a big deal compared to the usual arcade cabinets

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
First time the US has gotten a port of HC?

Would be amazing if Ninja Warriors had 21:9 support, but I don't think PS4 supports it

OnPoint

Tempted by Haunted Castle as a fan of the series, but I still don't want to give them money if I can help it. Doesn't help that it looks tedious.

$11 in Canada? I'm not buying anything priced higher than the exchange rate.

Ninja Warriors is cool but Haunted Castle is really weak for a Castlevania game.

First time the US has gotten a port of HC?

I don't think so. I remember a thread where people were asking about it like a year ago.

EDIT - I guess you're right. That thread must have been about the JP PS4 release from last year. Regardless...

I'll say the same thing I said in that thread: I am a huge CV fan but despite that HC is a terrible game. It is only good as a curiosity. Stay away.

georly

Woah, i had no idea either of these existed. I had no idea that my SNES copy of ninja warriors had an arcade game legacy.

Shitty Castlevania but it was the first game I ever played in an arcade so it hold some place in my heart. Never could get past that bit with the bricks flying at me.

Ninja Warriors has the better soundtrack but Ninja Warriors Again is the real prize gameplaywise. Would love to see that re-released.

deadfolk

I actually used to own the arcade board of this. Always thought it was a bootleg because it wasn't called Castlevania.

Jazzem

Haunted Castle reminds me of China Warrior game PC Engine/TG-16, in that the sprites are large to the detriment of the game's design. Admittedly that's only from watching footage, but man it looks cramped and doesn't allow for particularly involved levels. I think I'm right in saying that the Japanese version, which is an option here, is at least meant to be a bit easier?

But aye amazing soundtrack as folks have said here, I loved this track in Portrait of Ruin and didn't realise it originated in HC. Also neat how Heart of Fire in Aria of Sorrow was a combination of the HC and CV1 tracks of the same name

Aesnath

I don't think so. I remember a thread where people were asking about it like a year ago.

EDIT - I guess you're right. That thread must have been about the JP PS4 release from last year. Regardless...

I'll say the same thing I said in that thread: I am a huge CV fan but despite that HC is a terrible game. It is only good as a curiosity. Stay away.

Agree. It is legit awful. I went out of my way to buy an arcade board. It suuucks. Imagine you took all of the frustration from early CV and threw away all of the good stuff=Haunted Castle.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
RSde7Ac.png

Read "Castlevania"...awesome. Then read the whole thread title and boooooo!

Both Haunted Castle and Ninja Warriors are pretty shit games quite frankly. Ninja Warriors isn't as bad, but Haunted Castle truly sucks. Anyone even thinking of buying this, don't waste your $8 or whatever the price was.

Piccoro

I have them both.

Here's my impressions from the Castlevania Community thread:

Hey guys. So, Haunted Castle finally came out in the European PlayStation Store, and it's great!

Having played almost all console Castlevanias, this one is very refreshing. It has that typical arcade difficulty, but inserting credits after a game over doesn't put Simon in the same spot he died. You have to restart the entire level again (some stages have mid-stage checkpoints), which makes this a challenging game. You have to memorize the enemies and the hazards if you want to get far.
Graphics are awesome for a 1988 arcade game, with sprites much larger than the NES counterparts.

I recommend to anyone with a PS4.

And my impressions from the Arcade Archives thread:

So I got The Ninja Warriors yesterday, and the port is great. It has that ultrawide screen format like in the arcade, and you can even use the original surround sound (up to 7.1).

Does this mean Hamster is done with Neo Geo games? These are the first Arcade Archive games to come out since Contra and that was almost exactly a year ago.

Vandole

I remember being amazed by the three screens that made up the Ninja Warriors display. I don't remember loving the actual game though.

Even the Japanese version of Haunted Castle is horrible? What's so bad about it?

I got kind of excited to play a Castlevania I've never played (or even heard of) before, but now that I went through this thread I feel like I should avoid it like the plague.

Piccoro

Even the Japanese version of Haunted Castle is horrible? What's so bad about it?

I got kind of excited to play a Castlevania I've never played (or even heard of) before, but now that I went through this thread I feel like I should avoid it like the plague.

It's not that bad. I liked it.

The music is also awesome. The 3rd stage music is Bloody Tears.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

It's really, really bad.

Terrible level design, very cheap encounters, it just isn't any fun.

Not to keen on the Castlevania, but Ninja Warriors was my jam. I love that game.

Daddy Mulk!
Daddy Mulk!
Daddy Mulk!
Daddy Mulk!

Haunted Castle is a bizarre game. I recommend it as a novelty for CV fans but it's not great.

It's not that bad. I liked it.

The music is also awesome. The 3rd stage music is Bloody Tears.

It's really, really bad.

Terrible level design, very cheap encounters, it just isn't any fun.

Gah. I think I may get it down the line when I'm bored and don't mind sparing $8. The screenshots make it look okay, and I feel like a lot of the old Castlevania games can be considered full of cheap encounters. Plus, I'm always down for some good Castlevania music.

Top Bottom